Analysis of Topics - Has This Ever Been Done?

Discussions about the forum and contents
DarkHelmetII

Analysis of Topics - Has This Ever Been Done?

Post by DarkHelmetII » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 am

Hello - out of curiosity, has there ever been any analysis done on the types of discussion topics written about here on BH? For example calling out key recurring themes and frequency?

Sandtrap

Re: Analysis of Topics - Has This Ever Been Done?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 29, 2018 9:17 am

DarkHelmetII wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 am
Hello - out of curiosity, has there ever been any analysis done on the types of discussion topics written about here on BH? For example calling out key recurring themes and frequency?
If you hang around long enough you will begin to see daily repeats, weekly repeats, etc.
Topics are the same with personal variations because most folks share the same financial concerns.
Once in awhile there will be something new and/or "off the wall".

aloha, :D
j

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue May 29, 2018 10:37 am

DarkHelmetII wrote:
Interesting question, but what is the point? What exactly would be analyzed and why? Can you provide more examples of recurring themes?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

Fallible wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:37 am
DarkHelmetII wrote:
Interesting question, but what is the point? What exactly would be analyzed and why? Can you provide more examples of recurring themes?
How much international do I need? What's wrong with 100% stocks? Fidelity or Vanguard?
merely an interested amateur

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

lgs88 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am
How much international do I need? What's wrong with 100% stocks? Fidelity or Vanguard?
These are my personal favorites - at some point Bogleheads should treat these as "off-topic" and ban them like political posts. But I digress...
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Personally, I don't mind the repeating themes. If one keeps in mind that the reason they repeat is there is NO answer then there are no issues. I innately don't like using the search function on any forum so don't blame folks not wanting to do the same. Heck, If we didn't have so many repeating themes the site would likely die so it is good they keep the thread count going.

Once one finds out that investing is rather simple and the key points can be learned in about 5 sentences there is nothing else to talk about except for debating the same themes over and over again. So have no issues beside with new member joining it is great to see new insights on same debates.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm

DarkHelmetII wrote:
I don't think it has been done. It would be interesting for someone with data analysis expertise to do some analysis in Nvivo or the like.

Is this something that you could do, DarkHelmetII? If so, go for it!

Andy.

celia

Post by celia » Tue May 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Some threads morph into another topic. For example, whether to save in tax-deferred or not can morph into tax brackets, retirement, living expenses, Roth conversion, backdoor Roths, etc. How would you classify those threads? If you classify them under "tax-deferred accounts", then do you also include maxing out or not, preparing for backdoor Roth by moving tIRAs to 401Ks, setting up a SEP IRA, and health savings plans? Those are all different.

Some threads appear during a particular time of year:
January to April for taxes
spring for vacation planning
fall for Christmas purchases or ideas

Some threads correspond to comments about an article that was published. Do you put that under "article comments" or the subject of the article?

Some threads are portfolio reviews, but many portfolios are very different from each other. Do you throw them all under "portfolio reviews", even though life insurance, job stability, SS, etc are discussed?

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 pm

All I know is I wish we could get a thread going about value stocks sometime...

Post by 2015 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am

staythecourse wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm
Personally, I don't mind the repeating themes. If one keeps in mind that the reason they repeat is there is NO answer then there are no issues. I innately don't like using the search function on any forum so don't blame folks not wanting to do the same. Heck, If we didn't have so many repeating themes the site would likely die so it is good they keep the thread count going.

Once one finds out that investing is rather simple and the key points can be learned in about 5 sentences there is nothing else to talk about except for debating the same themes over and over again. So have no issues beside with new member joining it is great to see new insights on same debates.

Good luck.
This.
OTOH, I'm always learning new and useful practical things here (e.g., best printer to buy, laptop vs. Chromebook, savings on cell plans, etc.).

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm

2015 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am
staythecourse wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Good luck.
This.
OTOH, I'm always learning new and useful practical things here (e.g., best printer to buy, laptop vs. Chromebook, savings on cell plans, etc.).
Agreed. I actually enjoy the forum most for the persona consumer advice. There are so many folks from different backgrounds and careers that their insight is useful to approach a multitude of problems.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed May 30, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't think it's been done. It would be hard to do well. I think it could be quite interesting. The problem is that it would take a lot of human processing to categorize topics.

There are certainly opinions that the frequency of postings on the topic of "Why not 100% stocks?" tells you something about investor mood--it's often suggested thtat it is a "sign of a market top"--but I think there are more scientific measures.

I'd love to see a sociological study of how opinions flow from one person to another (and eventually percolate into the forum). It's my theory that a lot of self-serving sales and promotional talk gets filtered by hearing it through an intermediate person. Specific ideas like "investment fads turn sour when a lot of people start piling into them, which is just whats been happening with indexing" and "The S&P is really actively managed, therefore indexing sucks" probably could be traced to a source.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Here's a few that come to mind:

Total Stock Market Index Fund vs. S&P 500 Index Fund
Total Stock Market Index Fund vs. Berkshire Hathaway B
2 fund portfolios vs. 3 fund portfolios
Gold as an investment
60/40 Asset Allocation vs. other Asset Allocations
Warren Buffett
Tax loss harvesting (TLH)
4% rule
Reinvesting vs. taking dividends
Backdoor Roth
Roth vs Traditional IRA
Larry Swedroe
Jack Bogle and no International investments
Emergency Funds
Why have bonds?
Really Bad Days (RBDs)
TIAA Traditional
TIAA Real Estate Account
Oatmeal
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

stlutz wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 pm
All I know is I wish we could get a thread going about value stocks sometime...
I'd like to see a thread where someone posts whatever boneheaded advice they received by their friend/relative/co-worker for the forum to react to it in the most predictable manner imaginable.