Found cause of posts getting lost (not posted)

Discussions about the forum and contents
WillRetire

Found cause of posts getting lost (not posted)

Post by WillRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 8:21 am

Several people have reported that their posts were lost, and I experienced the same thing just recently. Noticed it under the following circumstances/scenario:

Typed up a reply to a thread and clicked "Submit" button.

The post did not actually update the thread because someone else posted to the thread just seconds or minutes before I clicked "Submit". If I look carefully after clicking "Submit", I see another person's new post at the top of the screen, and my post still in draft form at the bottom of the screen waiting to be submitted.

If you don't notice that the first "Submit" didn't take, you will lose your post when navigating away from the page.

You have to click Submit again to exit the edit window & submit your post.

This seems to happen only if someone else has posted to the same thread while you are composing your reply.

It is as if the UI wants to give you one last chance to review your post after new information (another's post) came in. IMO, it would be better if it didn't do this, but rather accepted your post with a message that other posts came in ahead of yours.

GoldenFinch

Re: Found cause of posts getting lost (not posted)

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am

I think the purpose is to give you a chance to rethink your post after reading the posts that were posted while you were in composition mode.

(How many posts will other posters post while a poster is posting a post?)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 am

You mean if you don't pay attention and read, then some of your posts can get lost.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am
I think the purpose is to give you a chance to rethink your post after reading the posts that were posted while you were in composition mode.
Yes, probably. Just as I stated in the last paragraph of my post above :D

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 9:31 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 am
You mean if you don't pay attention and read, then some of your posts can get lost.
Ahh, the challenges of designing a good UI! Even a simple one! In software design, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Good UIs, even simple ones, are a work in progress.

When you click submit, a good UI will do just that, **OR** present an eye-catching warning.

Judging from the numerous posts in other threads, many posts from many people are being dropped, and this may be one reason. Blame the users & say "working as designed".... Or... it is easily fixed with an eye-catching warning to the user that their post has not been submitted & why.

[edited for a typo]

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 am

Sometimes, if I want to reply to a post “just above”, I’ll “submit” after just a few words. To hold my place. Then edit it to finish my comments.

celia

Post by celia » Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 am

WillRetire wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:21 am
It is as if the UI wants to give you one last chance to review your post after new information (another's post) came in. IMO, it would be better if it didn't do this, but rather accepted your post with a message that other posts came in ahead of yours.
I disagree. That is how I think things should work.

My posts tend to be long so while I am typing and proof reading, others are entering short posts. I often edit my response (before re-submitting) after I read the new info, especially if the OP just provided more input. Sometimes the new posts above mine have a short "solution" and the OP has just thanked them. Then I hesitate to add my comment. After changing mine in response, I notice that my response was several ands, ifs, or buts that can add to the OP's understanding, so I go ahead and submit my response too.

It often also happens even if my post is just a sentence but the thread was just started a few minutes ago. A brand new topic means something new for everyone to read. Do you noticed that the short quick responses often are are the top while longer responses are further down? This because shorter responses can be entered quicker than the long ones.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am

This is a common feature of web forums. In some that have fewer but "hotter" topics, people will complain about how hard it is to post sometimes because new ones keep coming in every time you try to submit. It might take four or five tries to get one to go through.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 4:55 pm

celia wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 am
Do you noticed that the short quick responses often are are the top while longer responses are further down? This because shorter responses can be entered quicker than the long ones.
No, never noticed that, but it makes sense on threads that are very "live" and receiving lots of concurrent posts.

If even 1 long reply gets in ahead of your submit, you'd have to scroll down to see that your draft is still a draft and was not submitted. At least I think that is the case, as I don't recall seeing a warning or indication that my reply wasn't actually submitted. It wasn't until I scrolled down & saw my text still in edit mode.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am
This is a common feature of web forums. In some that have fewer but "hotter" topics, people will complain about how hard it is to post sometimes because new ones keep coming in every time you try to submit. It might take four or five tries to get one to go through.
Hmmm.... that's not been my experience. I won't reveal my age, but will say I have been posting to forums since the 1990s. (Yikes!) Different ones. If the site is up, the post either goes through or there is a visible error.

Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy » Sat May 12, 2018 6:05 pm

There is a warning, but it is not particularly eye catching.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 12, 2018 6:39 pm

^^^ That is what should happen.

I don't recall losing a post, but have seen delays between "Submit" and the post appearing in the thread.

Hitting your browser's back button usually restores the post into the post editing area, which can then be copied into a text editor (like notepad) for safekeeping.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat May 12, 2018 6:46 pm

At first I used to lose posts this way. Now I am used to the format. I agree there needs to be a better warning, like a popup about intervening posts and do you really want to leave this page catch.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat May 12, 2018 11:59 pm

WillRetire wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am
Hmmm.... that's not been my experience. I won't reveal my age, but will say I have been posting to forums since the 1990s. (Yikes!) Different ones. If the site is up, the post either goes through or there is a visible error.
The vast majority of web forums these days are phpBB or similar. Those usually have this behavior. Not all certainly, and back in the early days the software was pretty crude. Most people were posting via usenet, which of course didn't have that problem as is a distributed system.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.