Are my posts missing or being deleted?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Woodshark

Are my posts missing or being deleted?

Post by Woodshark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 am

I'm writing to voice my concern that I'm noticing with some regularity that my responses in posts/topics are disappearing. I always try to be brief, courteous and remain of topic so it is with some confusion to find my posts are possibly being screened and removed.

If I am being censored, would someone please review any of my past posts deemed in error and let me know what rules I am breaking so that I might better form my responses.

Thank you.

Marketman

Re: Are my posts missing or being deleted?

Post by Marketman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 am

I have had a few experiences where I thought I posted a reply and did not later see it. I notice that sometimes when you hit the Submit button that yet another screen shows up and you have to hit the Submit button again to post your reply. I'm not sure but I suspect this has been a problem occasionally for me when I hit the Submit button and moved on without noticing that my post did not post. Could this be happening to you?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 am

There shouldn't be a second screen after hitting "Submit". Do you have any details on what this screen shows?

When hitting "Preview", the same buttons show up: "Save draft", "Preview", and "Submit". You still need to hit "Submit" to publish the post.

===============
As for censoring, moderators will always notify a member if something is wrong.

The only time we don't notify a member is when we remove entire threads due to a violation of forum policy. In that case, we only notify the OP.

If anyone has a question on their post content, please PM a moderator. Don't discuss it here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:58 am

Note that if new responses post between when you started composing your post and when you hit submit, you first get a screen showing those new responses and you then have to hit submit again - this gives you an option to first edit based on the new responses.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 am

I think the 2nd screen is what you see if you "submit" but someone has posted in the interim. You're given the chance to amend your post, or hit submit again. I've missed the notice more than once and my post was lost. As a result I've learned to pay a bit more attention and read the prompts. Hope that helps.

Just happened to me as I prepared this.

student

Post by student » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 am
There shouldn't be a second screen after hitting "Submit". Do you have any details on what this screen shows?

When hitting "Preview", the same buttons show up: "Save draft", "Preview", and "Submit". You still need to hit "Submit" to publish the post.
The second screen happens where there is a post by someone else during the time one is constructing a post. At least, this is my experience. It has a note alerting new posts.

Edit: Heartwood. You beat me to it. I see the second screen showing your post.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:23 am

On a hot topic, I've had the n'th-screen phenomenon happen four or five times in a row.

Marketman

Post by Marketman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 am

student wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am
LadyGeek wrote:

The second screen happens where there is a post by someone else during the time one is constructing a post. At least, this is my experience. It has a note alerting new posts.

Yes, this is what has happened to me but I did not know notice why it was happening. I think I have moved on a few times without hitting "Submit" a 2nd time and lost a few posts. Maybe this is happening to the OP?

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking that I'd seen my posts correctly placed into the thread but fail to be there later. As most of my web viewing is done in the evening, it is possible that I'm missing any 2nd Submit screen. If this has happened to you, then you know the mild frustration of seeing a lengthy and detailed post just seemingly to disappear. I will pay more attention in the future.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

^^^ Tip: Before you do anything else, hit your browser's Back button. What you've typed is saved in your browser's cache. There's a good chance it's still there.

I routinely suggest that members save their posts in a text editor, like Notepad. Keep it open in the background while you compose your post.

Every few minutes, copy-n-paste the post content into Notepad. Remember to save the file (important). If anything goes wrong, you've got it.

What can go wrong? Number one on my list: Accidentally closing the browser, which is set to clear the cache upon exit. :oops:

For mobile or wi-fi users, the internet connection can drop. Depending on the connection, the server might think you've logged out. Returning to your post will require you to login again. You'll be presented with a login screen instead of your post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

student

Post by student » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Marketman wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 am
student wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am
LadyGeek wrote:

Yes, this is what has happened to me but I did not know notice why it was happening. I think I have moved on a few times without hitting "Submit" a 2nd time and lost a few posts. Maybe this is happening to the OP?
I forgot a few times to hit it too.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:01 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 am
I think the 2nd screen is what you see if you "submit" but someone has posted in the interim. You're given the chance to amend your post, or hit submit again. I've missed the notice more than once and my post was lost. As a result I've learned to pay a bit more attention and read the prompts. Hope that helps.

Just happened to me as I prepared this.
Exactly this
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Thank you LadyGeek. Good hints to know.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 am

Sometimes, not often, when I write a post and hit "submit", I get a full page statement "This Page Cannot Be Displayed". It can happen at other times as well. If it happens when I make a post, my post is gone. If I hit the "back" button, the post cannot be recovered. I have solved this problem by "selecting all" for my posts and copying them before I hit "submit". If the problem occurs, I hit "paste" and the post is replaced, and I can hit "submit" again.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Another option to save a copy of our work. (Learned this from another BH.)

Do a <ctrl><a>, <ctrl><c> before every "preview" and "submit". Then if there's a problem, can open Word to save our work (<ctrl><v>) while we figure out what went wrong.

For a long reply, I'll work offline in Word. For a short reply, <ctrl><a>, <ctrl><c> is okay.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:08 am

I sure hope something like this just happened to me. I spent almost an hour creating a new topic and now there is no trace of it at all. I think I definitely posted it and it must have been summarily executed by a forum moderator but may be I made a mistake and it never got posted.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

^^^ It was removed by a moderator. Please check your PM.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: Member Rights in a Dispute , 2nd paragraph.

If anyone is missing a post, please PM a moderator (or me). The list is at the bottom of every forum page: The team

(Thread locked to end discussion.)