Reset password not working

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
TreadLightly

Reset password not working

Post by TreadLightly »

I forgot my password and had a new one sent to my email via computer. It was not accepted at login, many times. I requested a second new password, same thing. I can still get into my account from the links in my email via phone.

The only thing I can think of is to log out on my phone and see if the new password will work on my computer then, but then if it doesn't work, I'll probably be locked out if my phone too.

Thoughts?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Reset password not working

Post by LadyGeek »

Your password does not depend on the device used to log in.

Clearing your browser cache will log you out, as browser cookies are used to determine your status.

Conversely, you must have browser cookies enabled to be able to login. Check your browser's cookie settings.

The only thing I can recommend is to logout from all the devices that have you logged in. With your new password, login from a single device and see how it goes.

Important: At the login prompt, be sure to check the "Remember me" box or you will be logged out when you try to post.

If you get stuck and can't login, you can always email us at bhadmin@bogleheads.org and we'll set you straight.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

TreadLightly wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:21 pm I forgot my password and had a new one sent to my email via computer. It was not accepted at login, many times.
When you attempt to login with the new password, are you also seeing a CAPTCHA that I recall starts with "I am sorry, but we must ask a question to deter spam ... ".

When you've made too many failed login attempts you must enter the correct password and correctly answer the CAPTCHA question.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
TreadLightly

Post by TreadLightly »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm Your password does not depend on the device used to log in.

The only thing I can recommend is to logout from all the devices that have you logged in. With your new password, login from a single device and see how it goes.
Thank you. I logged out on my phone then logged in to both devices with the new password. It wasn't liking me trying to sign in on one device with a new password while being signed in on another with the old password.