we need an individual stock sub forum

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
panchilly

we need an individual stock sub forum

Post by panchilly »

I consider myself a partial boglehead.

Like many on this forum, the bulk of my money is tied up into index funds (70-80% of it) but I actively manage the rest. I think it would be great for the community if we had an individual stock sub-forum.

Thoughts?
mortfree

Re: we need an individual stock sub forum

Post by mortfree »

are you trying to prevent the full on BHers from commenting on individual stock threads?

I don't think a subforum will stop them...
Mid-40’s
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A simple redirect to r/wallstreetbets would do the trick.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Perhaps you fail to notice the big blue banner, it says: Bogleheads.org; Investing Advice Inspired by John Bogle.

I've read a couple of John Bogle's books, no where does it espouse speculating in individual stocks. If you want stock forum - plenty of places to go, but this place is a refuge from the sea of sharks that frequent those other forums with tips and advice that is offered with the intent of parting one from their hard earned dollars.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax. ... ent-ideas/ is pretty good.

Picking stocks based on their merits is not a very Boglehead pastime.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm Perhaps you fail to notice the big blue banner, it says: Bogleheads.org; Investing Advice Inspired by John Bogle.

I've read a couple of John Bogle's books, no where does it espouse speculating in individual stocks. If you want stock forum - plenty of places to go, but this place is a refuge from the sea of sharks that frequent those other forums with tips and advice that is offered with the intent of parting one from their hard earned dollars.
+1

Well said.

Find a sub Reddit that matches your interest. "These are not the droids you are looking for..."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think many readers do not access bogleheads.org by forum, thus they would not be able to "unsee" the thread titles of an individual stock subforum. OTOH, there are plenty of stock forums on the internet already, so folks who want such camaraderie can go to them and say "We need a passively-managed index fund subforum."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

While I don't think a individual stock sub forum is what Bogleheads needs, I am open to hear arguments. I enjoy that Bogleheads is more focused on the big picture portfolio construction rather finer grade details of individual stocks. Investing is an applied art. I am interested in the theory, I am interested in the applied applications.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm Perhaps you fail to notice the big blue banner, it says: Bogleheads.org; Investing Advice Inspired by John Bogle.

I've read a couple of John Bogle's books, no where does it espouse speculating in individual stocks.
A minor rebuke, but this is not an argument, it is a statement of dogma. If you want to cite Bogle's arguments I don't have a problem with that. But we should base our decisions up logic, not a personality.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I think we need Bitcoin, REIT, Whole Life Insurance, Edward Jones, and Gold subforums as well. Could call it the Wasteland subsection. :mrgreen: not srs
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

On this topic, that "we" does not include me, but my slice and dice portfolio is also out of step with the TSM advocates.
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

Few thoughts.

1) When I want to learn I go to where the experts are. When I came to the conclusion that index investing was the correct play I hunted until a found a forum focused on that. I've learned a lot here since! That said, Bogleheads for the most part are not experts on investing in individual stocks. Much as I love this forum, if I wanted to play with actively managing some portion of my assets I'd look for a community knowledgeable in that.

2) I don't read forum-by-forum, the selfish part of me doesn't want to have my thread list cluttered with stuff that doesn't mesh with the investment philosophy of the rest of this community.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I am a newbie here and do occasionally buy stocks but don't think there should be a stocks sub-forum. Years ago I was a member of a bodyweight exercise group where the moderator was against weightlifting. It got old having people constantly bringing up an alternative to what he wanted to focus on with a constant undertone of this also may be valid or better. If one wishes to buy stocks they should do so.

I also find it a bit funny that someone would want advice on investing in stocks from people who generally don't have an interest in investing in them.

For the record I hate the game of golf and I am terrible at it, but I am happy to give anyone advice on their swing 8-)
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

:?: :?: Actually, what I would like to see is a sub-forum that would dispense hot latte, a bold espresso or frothy cappuccino....perhaps with a skosh of Irish Whiskey.... :D I have a bum leg right now and it pains me to stretch out to grab the walker. Then.....on my return trip to the recliner....I always manage to spill a nip..... :(
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

Having a stock sub-forum would greatly increase the amount of noise that each volunteers of Bogleheads would have to deal with. These are distractions that reduce our effectiveness since technically we do not have much to add other than undiversified investment - avoid, etc. Long arguments are non-effective and takes up moderators' precious time.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm I think we need Bitcoin, REIT, Whole Life Insurance, Edward Jones, and Gold subforums as well. Could call it the Wasteland subsection. :mrgreen: not srs
Don't forget Variable Annuities...
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Having an individual stock forum would greatly increase the amount of noise that members need to tune out. Not appropriate for this domain.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I disagree wholeheartedly as it would distract from the primary purpose of this website and even work against it. There are already too many threads that stray too far, in my opinion. I have seen what loss of focus has done to some other forums.

There is no shortage of forums on the internet in which to discuss individual stocks, for those who are interested in that. This will never be the best place or even a very good one to discuss individual stocks because of the inherent conflict with the consensus view.

I do hold many individual stocks myself and enjoy discussing them, but that is not what I come here for. I even think that it would be wise to curtail slightly the types of discussions allowed here already in order to maintain focus and preserve and improve the usefulness of the forums for people interested in the Boglehead approach to investing.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

panchilly wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm I consider myself a partial boglehead.

Like many on this forum, the bulk of my money is tied up into index funds (70-80% of it) but I actively manage the rest. I think it would be great for the community if we had an individual stock sub-forum.

Thoughts?
You would be better off ditching the individual stocks and going 100% with index funds. That would be better than encouraging others to engage in questionable practices.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 pm

+1

Well said.

Find a sub Reddit that matches your interest. "These are not the droids you are looking for..."
My thought exactly. Picking individual stocks goes completely against "Investing Advice Inspired by John Bogle" and therefore a subforum dedicated to it just doesn't belong here. There are plenty of other places to go....
CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm I disagree wholeheartedly as it would distract from the primary purpose of this website and even work against it. There are already too many threads that stray too far, in my opinion. I have seen what loss of focus has done to some other forums.

There is no shortage of forums on the internet in which to discuss individual stocks, for those who are interested in that. This will never be the best place or even a very good one to discuss individual stocks because of the inherent conflict with the consensus view.

I do hold many individual stocks myself and enjoy discussing them, but that is not what I come here for. I even think that it would be wise to curtail slightly the types of discussions allowed here already in order to maintain focus and preserve and improve the usefulness of the forums for people interested in the Boglehead approach to investing.
Agreed.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I’m sure the moderators would love to add a sub forum. It’s been slow around here lately so it would give them something to do.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Um, no. Not sure why we need an individual stock subforum when that is completely against BH recommendation.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

TheDDC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm I think we need Bitcoin, REIT, Whole Life Insurance, Edward Jones, and Gold subforums as well. Could call it the Wasteland subsection. :mrgreen: not srs
Don't forget Variable Annuities...
Held inside tax-deferred or tax-exempt accounts...
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Check out Morningstar for a forum that might meet your needs:
http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... fault.aspx
Best Wishes, | Joe
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Samples:

Got an itch to buy Amazon today? Buy more Total US Stock index

Got a hankering to buy Facebook today? Buy more Total US Stock index

Got a feeling about Nestle today? Buy more Total International Stock index

Friend told you to buy Samsung today? Buy more Total International Stock index

Co-workers all talking about Novartis AG and how great a buy it is? Buy more Total International Stock index.

repeat. :wink:
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Forum Issues and Administration.
Agggm

Post by Agggm »

lol
john4546

Post by john4546 »

No, we don't.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

My vote is no.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

panchilly,

That is against the mission of the bogleheads, moderators, site owners and the non-profit that backs it partially.

just my view: In the past threads like people holding huge individual stocks and contemplating what to do with gains, are usually the case for individual stock discussions came into picture and that was fine. Recent threads are a huge distraction to the mission(redfin, tripadvisor, GE). There are numerous financial forums across the net that cater to this and I have spent my fair share of time in them before I became a 4 fund Indexer. I can go there to take my itch off, if that is needed.
Last edited by ray.james on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

While we're setting up the individual stock subforum, we should also put up forums for actively traded mutual funds, a marketplace for universal life insurance policies, non-traded REITs, leveraged ETFs, commodities, day-trading, and options strategies. :oops:

All these things are actually counter to this forum's investment philosophy. There are better dedicated forums for those things, and they probably have a friendlier audience.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The consensus is "No".

Thread locked to end discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.