Fewer acronyms please

Discussions about the forum and contents
Rupert

Re: Fewer acronyms please

Post by Rupert »

People sometimes use acronyms such as YMMV and IMHO to take the edge off a post, i.e., they use them like emojis to set a tone or express an emotion. For example, someone using YMMV might tack it at the end of a post to emphasize that they know their experience might be unique and that they're not trying to be a know-it-all. It's how the youngsters communicate these days. It's not going to change.
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

Shouldn’t we want certain abbreviations to be so common that they overtake the long hand themselves? In so much as, LASER and SCUBA are the understood acronym, I hope VTI, VXUS, and BND become the same.

Regards,
John
Last edited by John Laurens on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
selters

Post by selters »

This one of the most off-putting things about many internet communities. Very little does more to deter new members from the community than the wall of abbreviations and acronyms they meet when they join the forum. And before they can make any sense of the posts, they have to decipher literally hundreds of abbreviations. Bogleheads should be better than this.
JPH

Post by JPH »

triceratop wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 pm I prefer acronyms. If used accurately it greatly increases the speed with which I can read posts. It takes <3 seconds to look up a ticker in a new tab and close the tab and most tickers in common to less common use are familiar to me now.
It's even quicker to click on another post.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 pm To quote 53timr -
I AG REE WIT DIS
Or as we say on another forum that I hang on: IAWTP

(I Agree With This Post)
Last edited by 22twain on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Forum Issues and Administration.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Rupert wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 am People sometimes use acronyms such as YMMV and IMHO to take the edge off a post, i.e., they use them like emojis to set a tone or express an emotion. For example, someone using YMMV might tack it at the end of a post to emphasize that they know their experience might be unique and that they're not trying to be a know-it-all. It's how the youngsters communicate these days. It's not going to change.
+10000........yep......and it ain't gonna change......
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

alexander29 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm ... IMHO (do you have a dishonest opinion? Isn't your post an opinion?) ...
I've always used IMO. The implied use of humble is a little snarky to me.

To the OP, yes, I have the same reaction to obscure acronyms but can usually live with them. However the use of only ticker symbols is more irksome to me. I'll frequently stop reading rather than look it up.

I am a user of several myself: YMMV, IMO, and a few others. I have no plans to change.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 pm "Your Mileage May Vary"

RM
RM? :confused
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

randomguy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 pm ...
All the people i know who have english as a 2nd or 3rd language have no problems with acronyms. It is using big words like "voluntary" and cultural references that make comprehension hard. Acronyms have been a part of online culture for at least 30 years. I think you will be disappointed if you expect things to change. MNHO:)
You and I clearly have different acquaintances.

In any event I won't be disappointed because I don't expect anything to change, except for the worse. I called for voluntarily writing for an audience for whom English is a third language, i.e., e.g., by not using abbreviations such as those that assume the people who have English as a third language have Latin as a fourth. I don't expect it.

YTYWCAITM. You Type Your Word Choices And I'll Type Mine.

PJW
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

........what's the old saying again.............."either Lead, Follow or Get out of the Way" :beer
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

fishandgolf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm ........what's the old saying again.............."either Lead, Follow or Get out of the Way" :beer
I believe George Carlin had some words for that...https://youtu.be/Nf7x3zW67zE?t=2m39s It has some salty language so please don't watch if you'll be offended.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

longleaf wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 pm https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms

By the way, imho is in my humble opinion

Do you ever have an un-humble opinion??

This who nuance made me LOL!!! Thanks all! Happy Friday!
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

dm200 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm One technique, perhaps, is to spell it out the first time - then use the acronym.
This seems to be the preferred method used by professional writers and should be an example to follow.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
Phineas J. Whoopee

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 pm
longleaf wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 pm https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms

IMNSHO, no.

PJW
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 pm

IMNSHO, no.

PJW

:oops: :oops: :oops: Atleast there is a universal language most people understand!!! :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee »

John,

Since many people use traditional mutual funds instead of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) as well as many who use non-Vanguard ETFs, if you are going to champion certain abbreviations that you think should overtake the long hand, would not it be more reasonable to chose: TSM, TISM, and TBM, instead of Vanguard's ETFs VTI, VXUS, and BND.

TSM - Total Stock Market
TISM - Total International Stock Market
TBM - Total Bond Market

Personally, I would still prefer people use the names, but I can understand the use of the general TSM, TISM, and TBM, but have considerable concern about use of one company's ETF names.
John Laurens wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 am Shouldn’t we want certain abbreviations to be so common that they overtake the long hand themselves? In so much as, LASER and SCUBA are the understood acronym, I hope VTI, VXUS, and BND become the same.

Regards,
John
Randy | SCA - Build Savings early by living below one's means, minimize Costs including taxes, and maintain a diverse Allocation.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

poundwise wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 pm Every company I have worked for has had its own set of acronyms. Some were unique to the company, while others were more universal.

The solution? An acronym guide. Company newbies were given the link during orientation.
We have one on the wiki: Abbreviations and Acronyms
Wiki David Grabiner
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

JT
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

triceratop wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 am
Dead Man Walking wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 am The use of ticker symbols can be confusing since ticker symbols may apply to mutual funds or exchange traded funds. The best way to communicate about funds is to use the proper name of the fund followed by the ticker symbol in parentheses. For example, Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares (VSIAX) would be the best way to list the fund in the first reference to it. After the initial reference, the ticker symbol may be used to refer to the fund.

When I read a post that uses ticker symbols exclusively, I assume that the author is either lazy or illiterate. In either case the post is probably irrelevant to my situation. Acronyms should be used in the same way ticker symbols are used. Emojis are a different discussion.

DMW
How many 5-character long tickers do you know for ETFs? And 3-character for classic mutual fund?
That would be zero. The fact that mutual funds have 5 characters and ETFs have 3 characters is irrelevant to the my post. Neither ticker symbol communicates the name of the fund being referenced. Although the name of a fund may not communicate the exact type of fund being described, it is more descriptive than a ticker symbol. Many people can relate to a proper name better than a group of letters. Many neophytes log on to this site seeking guidance. A bunch of posts using ticker symbols may drive them to the nearest Edward Jones or Raymond James advisor because they view this site as a group of nerds that post about esoteric information that they don't understand. That may be your vision for Bogleheads, but it is not mine.

DMW
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I wonder if someone could create a capability in forum-software to hover over an acronym to display possible meanings from some sort of dictionary. Maybe the spell-check dictionary has some of these. I guess the dictionary should be capable of learning new acronyms.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

alexander29 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm For those of us on the slower side, spell it out!
No.

Look 'em up. Its not hard.

Welcome to Bogleheads.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 am
triceratop wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 am
Dead Man Walking wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 am The use of ticker symbols can be confusing since ticker symbols may apply to mutual funds or exchange traded funds. The best way to communicate about funds is to use the proper name of the fund followed by the ticker symbol in parentheses. For example, Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares (VSIAX) would be the best way to list the fund in the first reference to it. After the initial reference, the ticker symbol may be used to refer to the fund.

When I read a post that uses ticker symbols exclusively, I assume that the author is either lazy or illiterate. In either case the post is probably irrelevant to my situation. Acronyms should be used in the same way ticker symbols are used. Emojis are a different discussion.

DMW
How many 5-character long tickers do you know for ETFs? And 3-character for classic mutual fund?
That would be zero. The fact that mutual funds have 5 characters and ETFs have 3 characters is irrelevant to the my post. Neither ticker symbol communicates the name of the fund being referenced. Although the name of a fund may not communicate the exact type of fund being described, it is more descriptive than a ticker symbol. Many people can relate to a proper name better than a group of letters. Many neophytes log on to this site seeking guidance. A bunch of posts using ticker symbols may drive them to the nearest Edward Jones or Raymond James advisor because they view this site as a group of nerds that post about esoteric information that they don't understand. That may be your vision for Bogleheads, but it is not mine.

DMW
I have no such 'vision' for Bogleheads, only that I don't begrudge new members for using tickers only. Others may prefer to not answer such questions but I do not mind. I don't see how being more accommodating of such new members contributes to the effect you describe.

And in fact the 5-character for mutual funds and 3-character for ETFs is not irrelevant to your post, since you specifically said tickers could be either ETFs or mutual funds and this confused you. Well, now I pointed out how to be unconfused about this point!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
(gekko)

Post by (gekko) »

alexander29 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm I much enjoy the Boglehead forums but am frequently stumped by the acronyms that are sprinkled so richly in its intriguing advice. Today's was TLH, which apparently stands for tax loss harvesting. Although I eventually puzzle most of them out, the vigor of our posters suggests they could provide much clarification with just a few more keystrokes. Yes, most of us know IRA, 401K, etc. Examples that irk are DH, DW, IMHO (do you have a dishonest opinion? Isn't your post an opinion?) YSP, MAGI, UHNW, VNQ, NIIT, MUB, AOTC, HELOC, SCU, HCOL, LCOL, VUL, FSA, TIB and on and on. Nor do I ever recognize the Nav shorthand symbols for mutual funds, including the ones I own. For those of us on the slower side, spell it out! (And thanks Taylor Larimore for doing just that.)
Me too +1
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

If you are on a phone or tablet, it can be a blessing to get a shorter message, abbreviations and all. It is also a blessing for the person posting, where typing on a phone can be difficult; it's much easier on the thumbs and prevents carpal tunnel. All imho.
Abe

Post by Abe »

femur wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm DW and DH really annoy me. Is it really that much trouble to type wife or husband?
Where I live, they say: "my old man"... I'm serious :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

rgs92 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 am I wonder if someone could create a capability in forum-software to hover over an acronym to display possible meanings from some sort of dictionary. Maybe the spell-check dictionary has some of these. I guess the dictionary should be capable of learning new acronyms.
There was an extension for chrome that did that. Still is, but it stopped working. It worked like a charm. Hover, see the name and a link to M*.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... alnikffcgg

It worked fora couple of years, then stopped.The app page shows last update 2011.

So its possible.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

For those that like only typing in three letter acronyms (TLAs), do everyone else a favour and spell out the TLA on first use. That is considered proper etiquette and prevents confusion as some TLAs may have many different meanings.

If you are too lazy to do so, then a workaround to consider would be to create autocorrect entries on your devices for the common TLAs that you use so it will happen automagically.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
GRP

Post by GRP »

This thread reminds me of a compelling email that Elon Musk once wrote to his employees...
There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication and keeping communication good as we grow is incredibly important. Individually, a few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees. No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don't want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees.

That needs to stop immediately or I will take drastic action - I have given enough warning over the years. Unless an acronym is approved by me, it should not enter the SpaceX glossary. If there is an existing acronym that cannot reasonably be justified, it should be eliminated, as I have requested in the past.

For example, there should be not "HTS" [horizontal test stand] or "VTS" [vertical test stand] designations for test stands. Those are particularly dumb, as they contain unnecessary words. A "stand" at our test site is obviously a test stand. VTS-3 is four syllables compared with "Tripod", which is two, so the bloody acronym version actually takes longer to say than the name!

The key test for an acronym is to ask whether it helps or hurts communication. An acronym that most engineers outside of SpaceX already know, such as GUI, is fine to use. It is also ok to make up a few acronyms/contractions every now and again, assuming I have approved them, e.g. MVac and M9 instead of Merlin 1C-Vacuum or Merlin 1C-Sea Level, but those need to be kept to a minimum.
Classic Elon. :D
Almost nothing turns out as expected.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

TwstdSista wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:58 am
Sheepdog wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:47 am
Blueskies123 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm Agreed, ticker symbols should always be followed by their proper name.
YES....Please
and ERs.
Emergency room? Endoplasmic reticulum? Estrogen receptor? External relations? External rotation? Emergency response? Explicit rate? Earthquake relief?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
GRP

Post by GRP »

Emergency room? Endoplasmic reticulum? Estrogen receptor? External relations? External rotation? Emergency response? Explicit rate? Earthquake relief?
Escape route.

He's talking about the best exit strategies in case the fund tanks.

:wink:
Almost nothing turns out as expected.
dual

Post by dual »

Acronyms are bad enough but what about redundant acronyms?!! Please no more:
CRV value
CVT transmission
IRA account
LCD display
SALT Taxes?
UPC code
VIN/PIN number

most of these can be made double redundant!!
California CRV value; CRV=California_Redemption_Value
personal PIN number
State and Local SALT taxes
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

dual wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 am State and Local SALT taxes
As opposed to state and local salt taxes. Which are proof that, contrary to popular opinion, some taxes do go away; at least for a little while after a bloody enough revolution.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Yep, I still think of arms-limitation talks and treaties with the Soviets when I hear SALT.
Phineas J. Whoopee

dual wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 am Acronyms are bad enough but what about redundant acronyms?!! Please no more:
personal PIN number
It's a lucky thing we have PIN numbers. If all we had were PI numbers we'd never finish entering them.

PJW
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:13 pm
dual wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 am Acronyms are bad enough but what about redundant acronyms?!! Please no more:
personal PIN number
It's a lucky thing we have PIN numbers. If all we had were PI numbers we'd never finish entering them.

PJW
Good one!

:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

Rupert wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 am People sometimes use acronyms such as YMMV and IMHO to take the edge off a post, i.e., they use them like emojis to set a tone or express an emotion. For example, someone using YMMV might tack it at the end of a post to emphasize that they know their experience might be unique and that they're not trying to be a know-it-all. It's how the youngsters communicate these days. It's not going to change.
I agree.

In face to face conversations, non-verbal communication and tone of voice are used to convey that something is being said in a light-hearted way or to soften certain comments. In internet discussions, I think people are trying to use emojis and acronyms such as YMMV or In My Humble Opinion to achieve that objective.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

CRV value
CVT transmission
IRA account
LCD display
SALT Taxes?
UPC code
VIN/PIN number
My favorite is ATM machine.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

IRA account
While IRA can stand for Individual Retirement Account, I believe that at IRS, IRA stands for Individual Retirement Arrangement. See IRS Pub 590a: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf
Wiki
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

DSInvestor wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:21 pm

IRA account
I believe IRA stands for Individual Retirement Arrangement. See IRS Pub 590a: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf
ERISA* uses the terms "individual retirement account" and "individual retirement annuity" but never the term "individual retirement arrangement". I think that term evolved to cover both "account" and "annuity".

http://www.legisworks.org/GPO/STATUTE-88-Pg829.pdf (Warning: large PDF**.)

*Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974
**Portable Document Format
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Pajamas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:32 pm
DSInvestor wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:21 pm

IRA account
I believe IRA stands for Individual Retirement Arrangement. See IRS Pub 590a: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf
ERISA* uses the terms "individual retirement account" and "individual retirement annuity" but never the term "individual retirement arrangement". I think that term evolved to cover both "account" and "annuity".

http://www.legisworks.org/GPO/STATUTE-88-Pg829.pdf (Warning: large PDF**.)

*Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974
**Portable Document Format
I also found this from section 408 of the tax code on Individual Retirement Accounts: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/408
Wiki
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

"YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary. People may have a different opinion or experience."

There are virtually zero reasons to ever use this acronym, and anyone who does use it is simply sowing confusion.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks to suggestion by goblue100 here, abbreviations and acronyms are now in the forum's FAQ.

The FAQ is at the top-left menu of the forum page (including mobile devices).

The new entry "Abbreviations and Acronyms" is at the top of the list.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Abe wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:55 am
femur wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm DW and DH really annoy me. Is it really that much trouble to type wife or husband?
Where I live, they say: "my old man"... I'm serious :happy
I'm not sure if this is what Abe is referring to, but it reminds me that in an earlier era, amateur radio operators, "HAMS", had a shorthand for marital relationships, also. A man or a husband was an "OM" for "Old Man". A women or wife was, chivalrously, always a "YL", for Young Lady"
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

dm200 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm One technique, perhaps, is to spell it out the first time - then use the acronym.
That is pretty much what I do. Great idea.
A fool and his money are good for business.
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

triceratop wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 pm I prefer acronyms. If used accurately it greatly increases the speed with which I can read posts. It takes <3 seconds to look up a ticker in a new tab and close the tab and most tickers in common to less common use are familiar to me now.
+1
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:13 pm
personal PIN number

PJW
....except in Indiana, where you just press”3” :wink:

IRJDKWYCSOE

”I Really Don’t Know Why You Can’t Spell Out Everything”. In all of my technical writing, if one used an acronym, one defined it on first usage
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

nedsaid wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 pm
That is pretty much what I do. Great idea.
Yes, please.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 pm Thanks to suggestion by goblue100 here, abbreviations and acronyms are now in the forum's FAQ.

Any chance of adding "LMP" (liability matching portfolio) to the list? It was in a long thread and not defined and also hard to figure out.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

JamesSFO wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 am
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 pm Thanks to suggestion by goblue100 here, abbreviations and acronyms are now in the forum's FAQ.

Any chance of adding "LMP" (liability matching portfolio) to the list? It was in a long thread and not defined and also hard to figure out.
It's there:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... ronyms#L-Q
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash