Is there a limit to the length of a post? Can stressful family financial conflict be mentioned?

Discussions about the forum and contents
LilyElder

Is there a limit to the length of a post? Can stressful family financial conflict be mentioned?

Post by LilyElder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 am

Hello. I have not posted a personal concern here before. I am needing help with several personal finance matters. They are interrelated, so I do not want to post them separately, which means that my post might be somewhat lengthy. I would like to know the limit to the length of my post, if any. I looked for a guideline about this on the web site but did not find one, so I am asking. I am very concerned about finding a way through stressful family financial conflict involving my personal finance matters, so I would like to know if this subject can be mentioned here. My questions arise because I would like to write out my concerns and have them posted as is, and I need to know how to do that successfully. Thank you.

ResearchMed

Re: Is there a limit to the length of a post? Can stressful family financial conflict be mentioned?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 am

LilyElder wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 am
Hello. I have not posted a personal concern here before. I am needing help with several personal finance matters. They are interrelated, so I do not want to post them separately, which means that my post might be somewhat lengthy. I would like to know the limit to the length of my post, if any. I looked for a guideline about this on the web site but did not find one, so I am asking. I am very concerned about finding a way through stressful family financial conflict involving my personal finance matters, so I would like to know if this subject can be mentioned here. My questions arise because I would like to write out my concerns and have them posted as is, and I need to know how to do that successfully. Thank you.
I have no idea about any limit.

However, to make it easier for others to read, at least make sure you format nicely (paragraph spacing, etc.).

And make sure that you don't post *any* identifying information.
If something isn't critical, e.g., not state-law specific, then don't post location.
Give age as general as possible and only if relevant, e.g., not "67" but maybe "Medicare age" or "over 70" (relevant for some Social Security topics), or perhaps "about 10 years until retirement if exact age not relevant.
Likewise, don't give specifics of specific ages/genders of children.
Use "Fortune 500" company or such, not name of company, etc.

There are surprising ways for someone to be identified (should anyone want to!) using Google and other searches.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

celia

Re: Is there a limit to the length of a post? Can stressful family financial conflict be mentioned?

Post by celia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 am

I've read and written several posts that are a couple of screenfulls in length, so if there is a limit, it must be huge.

Here are my suggestions:
Avoid using anyone's name, but you could say Person A and Person B or use relationships to you: my uncle, my oldest step-son, etc.

If you are going to talk about the holdings you own, it is best to format them as described in Asking Portfolio Questions.
Start by reading that page to see if the format is suitable for your situation. Since we are already familiar with it, it makes it easier for us to comprehend your situation and make suggestions. Many of us will stop reading if we can't figure out your holdings or what your questions are. So go back and re-read your post for clarity before putting it up.

Also keep your post to the things you want us to discuss. Extra info will throw the conversation off track and some people will stop reading.

I also suggest you compose long posts in a word processor and save them to disk periodically. This is because Bogleheads will log you out after 15 or 30 minutes of inactivity. Then all your editing in the Edit box will be gone.

Please start a new thread when you are ready. This thread will continue along the line of "how to build your post".

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 am

Post what you to know- your question - at beginning. I hate reading all of the info and then have a question asked. I want to have the question in mind while reading financial info.

Emphasis on making the post readable. I skip posts which are one long block of text . No paragraphs. Make it easy for readers.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 am

Post as simply as possible. Even long paragraphs turn me off. And clearly without rambling and without emotion. And keep your facts straight. Nothing worse than we all run off trying to figure out if this was Uncle, or Brother who did whatever to Aunt, or was it Sister?

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 am

Posting a rant about your mean family with no identifiable action would be against the board rules. Posting a question about possible actions you can take based on family circumstances is not off limits.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 am

There is no limit to the number of posts ...
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:09 am

... that one can make in a thread.

So just post away and keep adding. I would not make a lengthy single post because fewer people will read through all of it anyways. But multiple shorter posts laid out cleanly might get more eyeballs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 am

Sometimes people put their financial questions at the end of a long post or even worse they are intertwined in the middle or there aren't any questions discernible in the post. In your case I'd put your financial questions at the beginning so they are clearly stated. Some details matter but stating your financial questions up front might also help keep the details focused on what's important. By focusing on the financial questions you may come to realize that there is a clearer path than you think.

I know for me writing down my thoughts helps me organize and is actually cathartic. Writing helps me separate what's important from what's not. Spend a few hours organizing your thoughts if you can. Maybe even a few days.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 am

Keep It Simple.
Succinct.
To The Point.
Long threads tend to make me
Sleepy

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

You may fire when ready LilyElder

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm

And keep in mind the prohibited items such as medical advice, politics, items that are not actionable.
Bob

LilyElder

Post by LilyElder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Thank you all so much! I have read every post, and I will return to check for further responses. I will be guided by all you have suggested. If I have further questions about how to present my post, I will comment in this thread again. I am very grateful for your help.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 pm

No post shall have more characters than livesoft's total number of posts.

I think you'll be OK :D

fear/greed

Post by fear/greed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 pm

In addition to posting (or before you post), you could also search the board for various issues. I've had so very many of my own questions answered by searching and finding already-answered questions. It sounds like you have a complicated situation and probably no one else has your exact issues, but a few of the pieces have surely been discussed before, and you may find it helpful to see what else has been said.

LilyElder

Post by LilyElder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you all! I have read and appreciate these replies. I have been working on my post. I keep getting derailed by emotions and past events, but I persist in trying to clearly isolate the situation and what I need to know. I need help urgently and will post as soon as writing is complete.