Subscription notifications by email: option for once a day/week/etc.?

Discussions about the forum and contents
pre

Subscription notifications by email: option for once a day/week/etc.?

Post by pre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Love BH and have been using it for years. Started using subscriptions the past year to track interesting threads, but sometimes I'm inundated by emails notifying me of a new post, like 10x in one day when a thread is active.

I see under subscriptions, there's only an option to receive or not receive email notifications. I've found quite a few message board systems support allowing the user to change the frequency of these notifications: immediate, daily, weekly, etc. Is this something Bogleheads can implement?

I tried several searches for this idea, but didn't see it explicitly discussed/suggested, so perhaps it's previously not been brought up.

I'd be fine with receiving 10 notifications a day, except that the way the system is set up, if I don't visit the subscribed thread, the system says it stops all emails until I visit the subscribed thread again... I'd be fine with getting 10 emails, if I can just return to visit the subscribed thread at will, but, unfortunately, the notification emails stop after the first time I don't return.

Just to summarize, is there a way we can update the message board functions so users can choose between immediate versus a timed interval/frequency for subscription notifications?

Thanks!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Subscription notifications by email: option for once a day/week/etc.?

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Sorry, but immediate/ periodic email is not part of the standard software configuration. Due to limited resources, we try to keep the software as close to "standard" as possible.

I'm not sure if this functionality exists, but it's not going to get implemented unless (1) we have a high demand for this feature and (2) the site owners agree to do the update. At this time, the software won't be updated.

Thanks for asking, though.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.