How to delete a post / topic

Discussions about the forum and contents
Joejoe00

How to delete a post / topic

Post by Joejoe00 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am

Anyone know how to delete an old post or topic? I go under my posts but dont see anywhere where i can delete posts or topics. Thnks

cherijoh

Re: How to delete a post / topic

Post by cherijoh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am

Joejoe00 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am
Anyone know how to delete an old post or topic? I go under my posts but dont see anywhere where i can delete posts or topics. Thnks
I think you can only delete a topic by contacting one of the moderators. As far as a post goes, there is a limited period that the delete button is available. I don't think you can delete a post after someone responds to it - at that point the delete button disappears. You can still edit a post, delete the contents and replace the text with "deleted".

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 am

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am
Joejoe00 wrote:
I think you can only delete a topic by contacting one of the moderators. As far as a post goes, there is a limited period that the delete button is available. I don't think you can delete a post after someone responds to it - at that point the delete button disappears. You can still edit a post, delete the contents and replace the text with "deleted".
But this won't delete followups to your post. If you need that done (say, because you posted too much personal information and someone quoted it), you still need to ask the moderators for help.
Wiki David Grabiner

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am
Joejoe00 wrote:
Correct. You can delete a post if no one has replied after you.

As for editing a post to remove content, please bear in mind that members spend a lot of time composing replies and readers are learning from them. Removing an entire post would do readers a disservice. Please try to remove a minimal amount of information.

If you need help removing personal information, or if someone quoted your post with personally identifiable information, please PM a moderator for assistance. We'll work with you to get it straightened out.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 am

Removal of something someone has written should not be optional. If the site wants to keep the comment thread alive then someone should be able to post a summary of the removed material.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Moderators will only remove posts if it violates forum policy or is a privacy concern. Summaries of removed material will not be done.

If anyone has a question on deleted posts, please PM me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.