Misuse of adverse when averse was meant

Discussions about the forum and contents
Kenkat

Re: Misuse of adverse

Post by Kenkat »

prudent wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 pm I'd like to point out that it's probably best to avoid a deep-seeded reaction to misspelled words. I could care less if there's a typo and I know I'm not a shoe-in to spell everything perfectly. Don't read with baited breath looking for typos that wet your appetite to hit the report button. They are inevitable and should be taken for granite. For all intensive purposes we should give posters free reign to have the occasional misspelling and as members avoid being on tenderhooks when seeing one.

Just wanted to comment since the topic peaked my interest.
Well done, sir. Well done!
TimeRunner

Re: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant

Post by TimeRunner »

We shouldn't except Moderators changing this accept when what is meant is clearly misunderstood, write? :P
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
cal91

Post by cal91 »

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

Growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year is expekted when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
Last edited by cal91 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

If people do it wrong enough, it becomes correct.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

OK. I'll play.

My pet peeve regarding chronic linguistic offense on the Forum:
"You guys" is not a pronoun.
"Hey guys!" is not a polite greeting.
"Thanks guys" omits (slightly more than) half the world.

Runner up for peeve du jour: Subject titles that end with a string of question marks. What's that about???????
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:54 pm ...and the winner is...
Pete12 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm I go nuts when folks refer to this forum as the “Boggleheads” or the “Bogelheads” ... I mean come on people!!!
:D
:sharebeer
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

@cal91 :D :D I grew up using "English" spelling. I learnt that I supposedly made many spelling mistakes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

When you see a spelling or grammar error please take it just let it go.

One problem is that we can get a lot of valuable perspective from some of the international posters who may not speak English as their first or even second language.

Even if you are not correcting their post seeing corrections or threads like this can be intimidating for someone who does not speak English as their native language.

Personally I plan on intentionally making spelling and grammar errors so that the international posters will feel more welcome so please ignore those. :D
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I lived and worked in a non-English-speaking country for a few years. I welcomed corrections to my speaking and writing that were done politely. I wanted to continuously improve my foreign language skills. I have had non-native-English speakers ask me to help them, too.

I think it is a disservice to international forum members to teach (however indirectly) non-standard word usage.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cal91

Post by cal91 »

roymeo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 pm If people do it wrong enough, it becomes correct.
It makes my hair literally catch fire.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=shNQWu ... gJIIbYUyo4
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cal91 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:58 pm The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

Growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year is expekted when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
This appears to have been lifted from Mark Twain:

http://design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Twain_english.html
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm
This appears to have been lifted from Mark Twain:

http://design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Twain_english.html
Ha! I just walked past his office the other day.

(The ambiguous pronoun reference is intentional)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:54 pm ...and the winner is...
Pete12 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm I go nuts when folks refer to this forum as the “Boggleheads” or the “Bogelheads” ... I mean come on people!!!
:D
We are the Bagelheads ... though we could've been the donuteers ;-)
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

I think the whether is just fine..... weather you think so or knot.....
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

My personal pet peeve:

Regardless = word
Irrespective = word
Irregardless = not a word
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Lynette wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:20 pm @cal91 :D :D I grew up using "English" spelling. I learnt that I supposedly made many spelling mistakes.
On "public" forums, I use the majority approved spelling; on my personal social media (FB/blog etc), I use a judgement call and favour my original spelling!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I have yet to see one poster use the phrase "begs the question” correctly.

In fairness, no one else uses it correctly, either.

JT
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

an_asker wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm
Lynette wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:20 pm @cal91 :D :D I grew up using "English" spelling. I learnt that I supposedly made many spelling mistakes.
On "public" forums, I use the majority approved spelling; on my personal social media (FB/blog etc), I use a judgement call and favour my original spelling!
It becomes confusing when one writes to people back "home". I try to remember to use the "correct" spelling for each country. This board flags me when I say "I had travelled to Spain last year". It is flagged in red! Incidentally English is my first language and I was trained as a Latin teacher.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

triceratop wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 pm
2comma wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm The two words that I struggle with the most are affect and effect. You wouldn't believe the affect this has on me mentally but I don't know how to effect a change. I had to look them up and I'm still not sure the sentence is correct. :(
It's not. The first use of "affect" should be "effect". Both uses should be "effect", that is.
There you go!
If I am stupid I will pay.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm I have yet to see one poster use the phrase "begs the question” correctly.

In fairness, no one else uses it correctly, either.

JT
It's not possible to use it correctly. I think the reason is that everyone who would use it correctly instead uses begging the question. There are many results there using it correctly. That is why it may not be possible to use the phrase "begs the question" correctly.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Flobes wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm OK. I'll play.

Runner up for peeve du jour: Subject titles that end with a string of question marks. What's that about???????
I am a bit of a grammar cop myself, especially when I see egregious errors in publications which should know better (e.g. the NY Times). However, I will admit to the frequent use of "guys" in both spoken and written word. It's Northeast slang, and I grew up in NJ and have spent the better part of my life in the NJ/PA/NY area. Hey, whadya gonna do? :)
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm The moderators do a great job improving thread titles now and then. Should they change the word "adverse" to "averse" as well? If folks see "adverse" all the time, they will eventually think it is the correct word to use when it isn't, so changing it where many people see it used incorrectly would be a good thing.
Report it. We'll fix it.

Eventually.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

I already fixed it. I guess that means this topic is done.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Lynette wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm
an_asker wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm
It becomes confusing when one writes to people back "home". I try to remember to use the "correct" spelling for each country. This board flags me when I say "I had travelled to Spain last year". It is flagged in red! Incidentally English is my first language and I was trained as a Latin teacher.
We don't flag spelling errors. Your browser is doing that. By the way, "traveling" and "traveler" are the result of one of the attempts to simplify English spelling that Americans inflict on themselves every century or so. I think these are ridiculous and refuse to use them. Same with "judgment". On the other hand I have no problem with the changes that led to the standard American spelling of "honor", "center" and "criticize".
Gill

Post by Gill »

My pet gripe is “cost basis”. This is redundant. The cost of an asset is its purchase price. Basis is a tax concept which may be equal to cost but may be quite different through depreciation, step up at death or other adjustments.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

I particularly dislike misuse of "few" vs "a few" because the meaning changes. One is positive while the other negative.

There are few reasons to use junk bonds. (negative connotation and means there isn't really a good case for the use of them)
There are a few reasons to use junk bonds. (positive connotation and means a case for their use can be made)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

You've probably seen the bit of doggerel that shows that because of the many homophones in English, a spelling checker cannot protect us against bad spelling:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

The oldest example of this contrived kind of humor I know of--there may be older ones--antedates the PC a bit. It goes back to 1866.

McGuffey's New Fourth Eclectic Reader, lesson 40, p. 127, Consequences of Bad Spelling.

Young Emma is writing to her aunt, and says "Mamma desires me to say, that although she has not seen my letter, she told me how to spell all the long, hard words," apparently one at a time and out of context. She manages to use the wrong homophone wherever it is possible. Hilarity ensues.

She writes "I am very much obliged to you for the globes you were kind enough to promise me. William gave me a small pair, to-day;" and her aunt replies "As William has given you a pair of globes, I have just sent off those I intended for you to your cousin Caroline, who, I am sure, will be very glad of them, as she has not even a small pair." Her mother explains in a third letter that "Her loss of the globes is a great disappointment; her present from William was a little ivory pear, containing seven others, and in the last a small set of tea-things; an ingenious toy."

The gormless Emma, of course, closed her letter to her aunt by saying "I must leave off; what a trouble these aunts are! I can not get rid of them." We later learn that she had chosen to write her letter outdoors, and had been troubled by ants.

Her mother notes in the third letter that
Emma has been in despair, my dear sister, ever since the receipt of your letter; she begs me, as soon as possible, to clear up the mistakes which, in her extreme ignorance, she has committed. In the first place, she is very anxious that I should tell you how much she loves all her aunts, and you the most of all.

Had you not returned Emma's letter, your answer would not have been understood. The boys have been much amused, and have, to use their own expression, "quizzed her most unmercifully;" but, at the least hint from me, I know they will desist.

Naturally ambitious, and a little vain, Emma has always considered English spelling as a tiresome task; there was no praise, no honor, no glory, in spelling well; it was a matter of course, and though it was a disgrace to spell ill, it was no merit to spell well.
So, my friends, attend well to your spelling, lest like poor Emma, you be "quizzed most unmercifully."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Flobes wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm OK. I'll play.

+1.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Will livesoft be so kind as to become the grammar police of this forum?

Will he “win” or “loose” his popularity?
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm I have yet to see one poster use the phrase "begs the question” correctly.
JT
Me too! This has become so bad that I see news anchors on TV use it the wrong way all the time.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

There is a fun book for those of us who are sticklers for punctuation (and spelling): Eats, Shoots, & Leaves by Lynne Truss (Yep, Lynne is correct). She describes what it's like to be afflicted with what she calls a "seventh sense":
For any true stickler, you see, the sight of the plural word "Book's" with an apostrophe in it will trigger a ghastly private emotional process similar to the stages of bereavement, though greatly accelerated. First there is shock. Within seconds, shock gives way to disbelief, disbelief to pain, and pain to anger. Finally (and this is where the analogy breaks down), anger gives way to a righteous urge to perpetrate an act of criminal damage with the aid of a permanent marker.
It seems there's nothing we can do about our affliction, but I think it helps if we can readily admit that we also make misteaks.

And for those who misspell, it may be comforting to know that Maxwell Perkins, the great book editor who discovered Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Thomas Wolfe, was an exceptionally poor speller.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I understand that when I see poor English verbiage on the forum it is probably because the writer had a poor education (not their fault) or, more likely, is a citizen whose English is not their first language.

I have admiration for anyone who has mastered proper English. I have trouble with my English even after being born here. Imagine how difficult it must be to learn impeccable grammar if you moved to a foreign country with a new language.

If anything, I believe we should give extra help to the less fortunate. Character, integrity and the willingness to learn are what counts.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
mxs

Post by mxs »

I received a text message from a friend that had poor word choices that made the message very funny in a dark humor way. I don't know if it was poor due to auto correct or their misuse of words. I responded to them in a dark humor manner. I thought it was funny. The message was in English and my friend is a native born Brazilian with a strong mastery of Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and English. I often speak poorly in my native English and only know a few words or phrases in other languages.

The only time typos, poor grammar, or incorrect word usages bother me are in published books. I really liked the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but each book seemed to have at least one error. Does this reflect the quality of book editors or type of book editing used today?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I haven't seen anyone call out it's/its, except one post about principal/ple that might not have been intentional.

But language is arbitrary and fluid. If enough people do something wrong, it becomes right.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

mega317 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm But language is arbitrary and fluid. If enough people do something wrong, it becomes right.
And that's how literally became its antonym.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Alex Frakt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am it's antonym.
Nice.

I also like "could care less".
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

mxs wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pmThe only time typos, poor grammar, or incorrect word usages bother me are in published books. I really liked the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but each book seemed to have at least one error. Does this reflect the quality of book editors or type of book editing used today?
My friend A. J. Baime's new book on Truman (which I highly recommend by the way) contained a glaring error on the first page of the introduction. He told me 30 people had read it before printing and no one had noticed. He was kind enough to correct my copy :-)

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

mega317 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am
Nice.

I also like "could care less".
:oops: Fixed the possessive its.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

I could care less about this and won’t loose any sleep over it. I’m getting my 1099’s too send too the accountant and I’m to involved in that right now to worry about spelling and grammar. Pubic, public, what’s the difference!? We all know what is meant. So I just let auto fill pick my words for me. Sometimes its poetry.
celia

SPELLING and GRAMMAR are secondary, IMHO **********

Post by celia »

Watty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:20 pm When you see a spelling or grammar error please take it just let it go.

One problem is that we can get a lot of valuable perspective from some of the international posters who may not speak English as their first or even second language.
+1

I won't even go into my pet peeves or crazy examples, but I do see the need to help newbies learn the correct IRS terminology, especially when they want to roll over or transfer an account, but instead say they will convert or withdraw it or something else. Some posts are hard for me to read due to various factors, but I try to understand what the poster is asking. Not everyone who comes here is well-educated, careful, and able to re-read their posts before submitting them. They might be in a hurry or maybe they have a disability or aren't familiar with a keyboard or a forum. It can be intimidating to make your first post in a public forum where the whole world can see it.

I think we need to use a little more tolerance, in the spirit of Bogleheads, and try to help others instead. Let's just overlook the spelling and grammar and help the poster. There's no need to scare him away.
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 am I could care less about this and won’t loose any sleep over it. I’m getting my 1099’s too send too the accountant and I’m to involved in that right now to worry about spelling and grammar. Pubic, public, what’s the difference!? We all know what is meant. So I just let auto fill pick my words for me. Sometimes its poetry.
Lol.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 am I could care less about this and won’t loose any sleep over it. I’m getting my 1099’s too send too the accountant and I’m to involved in that right now to worry about spelling and grammar. Pubic, public, what’s the difference!? We all know what is meant. So I just let auto fill pick my words for me. Sometimes its poetry.
Its spelt grammer.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Alex Frakt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 am
mega317 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am
Nice.
:oops: Fixed the possessive its.
Skitt's Law: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skitt-s-law
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 pm Bogleheads:

I understand that when I see poor English verbiage on the forum it is probably because the writer had a poor education (not their fault) or, more likely, is a citizen whose English is not their first language.

I have admiration for anyone who has mastered proper English. I have trouble with my English even after being born here. Imagine how difficult it must be to learn impeccable grammar if you moved to a foreign country with a new language.

If anything, I believe we should give extra help to the less fortunate. Character, integrity and the willingness to learn are what counts.

Best wishes.
Taylor
+1

Either this forum is for everyone, or it isn't. I've seen countless posters mention how intimidating it can be to ask for help here. The forum shouldn't place a college-level writing barrier up. If you're bothered by someone's incorrect usage of a word or spelling, get over it.

That said, I (and I assume many other readers) do appreciate the well written posts by some of the smarty pants here. Keep up the good work :happy
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Advice and advise and loose and lose are often misused here. But there are a lot of Bogleheads and I’m sure we all make mistakes. I think we can all figure out what a person meant to say. Of course we can always correct them too. :twisted:

I have been corrected in a couple of private messages for poor punctuation or writing 2000k by mistake and I appreciated the feedback.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

MrJones wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:02 am
Its spelt grammer.
Your write! :sharebeer
mxs

Post by mxs »

Alex Frakt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 am
mxs wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pmThe only time typos, poor grammar, or incorrect word usages bother me are in published books. I really liked the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but each book seemed to have at least one error. Does this reflect the quality of book editors or type of book editing used today?
My friend A. J. Baime's new book on Truman (which I highly recommend by the way) contained a glaring error on the first page of the introduction. He told me 30 people had read it before printing and no one had noticed. He was kind enough to correct my copy :-)

That is awesome. I haven't noticed an error in George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series, and I don't know if that is due to him being an editor and involved with so many other books, or his publishing company doing very good work.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

Alex Frakt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 am

I’ve worked in book publishing my whole adult life (not as an editor) and have seen some whoppers. Thing is, once an error makes it through a few passes of proofreading people stop seeing it. Something about the human brain taking shortcuts and filling in details. If the author, copyeditor and proofreader didn’t see it, it has a good chance of disappearing. A good publisher tries to mitigate this by doing another round called “fresh eye proofing” where it’s given to a freelance proofreader that has no connection to the project. Another common technique for covers (can you imagine a misspelling on the cover!? yet it happens) is reading it upside down. Still, bad stuff gets through and it’s not because people don’t know the difference between you’re and your.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Minty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 pm In the passed, I have seen alot of misused words and phrases on this cite. Usually, I except a bazaar usage, because it does not effect me. The only time I would consider counciling a poster whom misspeaks is when they are writing about there job search or seeking career advise. In some fields, braking the rules of grammer or spelling could altar their prospects for the worst. But especially on a board as polite as this one, it is hard to brooch difficult topics and tell someone how they are suppose to write. I personally agree with Livesoft that it is better to know.

Anyways, I did a quick search, and, in a commonly used database in my field, there are over 10,000 articles using the phrase "risk averse", over 1,000 using "risk adverse" (sometimes with a hyphen) and 190 containing both phrases. So it may be too late to suppress this debatable use of the term.
Those people who misuse words like that are really loosers.. Accept me, of course.