anybody else notice that the timestamp of posts is off by 1 hour?

Discussions about the forum and contents
arcticpineapplecorp.

anybody else notice that the timestamp of posts is off by 1 hour?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 pm

i just posted something and it is showing the correct date, but the time listed is off by an hour (listed as one hour later than actual post time). Anyone else notice this problem?
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: anybody else notice that the timestamp of posts is off by 1 hour?

Post by nisiprius » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Let me see.
Nope. The time I see for this posting is the same as my local time when I posted it.
Is there a time zone setting somewhere? Let me go look...
Yeah, there is.

Is yours set correctly? (I see a time zone setting but I don't see where you indicate whether your location observes daylight savings time or not).
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:05 pm

nisiprius, please have my posts timestamped one year earlier than actual. I want to win that stock market prediction competition thingy.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 pm
i just posted something and it is showing the correct date, but the time listed is off by an hour (listed as one hour later than actual post time). Anyone else notice this problem?
Go to the User Control Panel and change your timezone; it doesn't automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time (or if it does, it lost the adjustment recently).
Wiki David Grabiner

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Bob's not my name

nisiprius, please have my posts timestamped one year earlier than actual. I want to win that stock market prediction competition thingy.
I am with Bob but just one day so I can get the lotto
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Your time zone is probably off in your User Control Panel->Board preferences->My timezone. EST is currently ETC-5.

If I sound funny, I noticed the My Language setting, and I changed mine to British English.

student

Post by student » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:25 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm
Let me see.
Nope. The time I see for this posting is the same as my local time when I posted it.
Is there a time zone setting somewhere? Let me go look...
Yeah, there is.

Is yours set correctly? (I see a time zone setting but I don't see where you indicate whether your location observes daylight savings time or not).
Thank you. Learned something today.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm in California this week and postings are off by THREE hours.
I know why this is and it doesn't concern me...
Attempted new signature...

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 am

I thought this was a &$#*@ thread. The timestamp is based on where the server is of course!

But now I know how to fix the wrong timestamps. I stand corrected. Thank you arctic for the thread.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:08 am

thanks everyone. i suppose it has always been that way but i never noticed it before(?) How observant of me. it's fixed now. Thanks nisi and everyone for patiently explaining it.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 am

I have my timezone set correctly to the eastern time zone and the timestamp on most pages is OK but on the index page the last post time has always been off by an hour

https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 am

Watty wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 am
I have my timezone set correctly to the eastern time zone and the timestamp on most pages is OK but on the index page the last post time has always been off by an hour

https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php
I find this as well. (I started to say "me, too.") Never noticed it before.

According to admins, most of the forum is straight phpBB and they avoid custom code modifications like the plague because that creates work whenever phpBB is updated, but I think the main index page is custom code. (Remember Ye Olde Days when it displayed posts from both the Bogleheads forum proper and the Morningstar "Diehards" forum in parallel columns?)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 am

When you are logged in, the forum timestamp is adjusted for the timezone setting in your User Control Panel.

When you are not logged in, the forum timezone is set to "UTC - 5".

The home page (bogleheads.org) is set to the server's timezone, which is US Eastern. No changes were made when the server was moved to Nevada. No adjustments are made if you are logged in.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.