Forum polls (restoration of capability using 3rd-party service)

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
dratkinson

Forum polls (restoration of capability using 3rd-party service)

Post by dratkinson »

I sometimes see folks lamenting the loss of the forum's polling capability.

I recently stumbled across a free internet polling service. Wondered if an OP linking to one would be acceptable for forum use?

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+poll

No agenda other than to restore a lost capability for those who want it.

Not aware of the security implications involved in using/linking to such a service.

Does forum admin have opinion/preference in using such a service? Apologies if I missed the memo.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Forum polls (restoration of capability using 3rd-party service)

Post by LadyGeek »

The effect would be the same. Here's the site owner's decision: Subject: Polls Disabled
Alex Frakt wrote: Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm After consultation with the Advisory Board, I have disabled polls on this site.

The general problem with self-selecting polls is that the results only tell you only about those who chose to respond to the poll. They cannot be relied on as reflecting the broader will of the participants of this forum, nor can they give any clear insights into the question asked. With written answers (beyond the pointless "+1"), a reader at least has the opportunity to review the respondent's reasoning for his or her answer. In addition to the lack of utility of polls, they required a disproportionate amount of moderator effort and were usually in violation of our requirements that posts be both personal and actionable.

I do understand some polls have a certain entertainment value, but our resources are limited and we prefer to focus on areas where we feel we can do the most direct good.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
dratkinson

Re: Forum polls (restoration of capability using 3rd-party service)

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm The effect would be the same. Here's the site owner's decision: Subject: Polls Disabled
Alex Frakt wrote: Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm After consultation with the Advisory Board, I have disabled polls on this site.

The general problem with self-selecting polls is that the results only tell you only about those who chose to respond to the poll. They cannot be relied on as reflecting the broader will of the participants of this forum, nor can they give any clear insights into the question asked. With written answers (beyond the pointless "+1"), a reader at least has the opportunity to review the respondent's reasoning for his or her answer. In addition to the lack of utility of polls, they required a disproportionate amount of moderator effort and were usually in violation of our requirements that posts be both personal and actionable.

I do understand some polls have a certain entertainment value, but our resources are limited and we prefer to focus on areas where we feel we can do the most direct good.
I've slept since that decision and had forgotten and thought the polls feature was removed by phpBB creator. Thanks for the reminder.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.