Notifications

Discussions about the forum and contents
AAA

Notifications

Post by AAA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

I was under the impression that if you start a thread you are automatically subscribed to receive notifications, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did something change or was that never the case?

ResearchMed

Re: Notifications

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm
I was under the impression that if you start a thread you are automatically subscribed to receive notifications, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did something change or was that never the case?
Is it possible that what is happening is that you "missed" a notification (or thought you'd already read the recent post)?
If so, then the notifications for that thread stop until you open up/read that thread again.

Or is it just not happening even at the start?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm
You aren't automatically subscribed; you need to use the options at the bottom to subscribe to a thread.

You can check those topics which you started. In the top right corner where there is a search box, click on the wheel. One of the options will be "Search by author", and you can select "First post of topics only", so that you will see only those threads which you started. This can be useful if the "View your posts" from the quick links gets too long. (I have posted on thousands of topics, but only started 131 in ten years on the forum.)
Wiki David Grabiner

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm

In addition to notifications, every thread that you post in (including ones you start) will show up in Your posts, which is under the Quick links menu at the top-left corner of the page. Mobile users will find it in the left-side drop-down menu.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 am

You might also want to read this post for user specific settings that might work for you.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

AAA

Post by AAA » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks all.