Question regarding forum rule on proposed legistlation

Discussions about the forum and contents
FIREchief

Question regarding forum rule on proposed legistlation

Post by FIREchief » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 pm

The forum rules state:
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed laws or regulations are prohibited.
Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
At what point will the House tax bill be allowed for discussion? The text of the bill was released yesterday. Does this constitute "published for public comments?"

Since the bill contains many proposals that would go into effect on Jan 1, 2018, but likely won't be passed (or defeated) until late December; it may leave a lot of scrambling to execute smart 2017 year end strategies (e.g. accelerated charitable contributions). I've read the bill and engaged in profitable planning discussions elsewhere, but find that bogleheads tends to have the broadest knowledge base (along with some very smart people). I don't mean to challenge the forum rules, but developing well though out strategies in light of some potentially very significant tax law changes would seem to constitute "actionable." If the law is ultimately passed on Christmas eve, it may be far to late for us to benefit from the bogleheads collective expertise. I appreciate any moderator feedback. Please delete this post/thread if it is unacceptable.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding forum rule on proposed legistlation

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Please see my post here: Re: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic

(This thread is left visible to help explain the moderator's perspective.)

Update: See below.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding forum rule on proposed legistlation

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 am

I removed a moderator's post, as it's better explained in my later post here: Re: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic

In summary:
The purpose of this forum is to educate investors and provide actionable, accurate advice. Consider the primary purpose of investors here is to save for retirement. This is your life's savings.

Making a decision based on information that will change from now until the tax legislation becomes law places your life's savings at risk. In some cases, an incorrect decision can result in an unrecoverable error.

To protect investors - and even more lurkers - from making a potentially bad life changing decision, we are not permitting discussion of "proposed legislation" in this forum. Aside from the political disagreements, we are simply trying to protect investors from making a bad decision. It's no more complicated than that.
Please see the full version, as I also explain the difference between legislation and regulations.

This thread is left visible to let readers know the moderator's perspective.

If anyone has a question on this, please PM a moderator or me directly. Do not start a new discussion. Thanks.

(Thread remains locked.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.