Abbreviations

Discussions about the forum and contents
Coolstavi

Abbreviations

Post by Coolstavi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:27 pm

I hope this is where I post this.

I am so confused when people are talking about their significant other and using many abberviations (DH or MIL..etc..) to describe them. Can someone explain what the most commonly used one are so I can understand the posts better?

retiredjg

Re: Abbreviations

Post by retiredjg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 pm

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms

Probably more than you wanted to know....and does not address all the D names. Dear husband, Dear wife, Dear son, Dear daughter, mother in law, son in law, etc.

Does that help?

Coolstavi

Post by Coolstavi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Yes thank you. Wasn't sure if 'DH' meant something along the lines of Divorced Husband or Deceased Husband. It was weird wondering why people kept living with their 'DH's when they were divorced...

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:37 pm

try this one on for size (common message board acronyms):

http://www.eyeonsoaps.com/GH/acronyms.htm
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Coolstavi wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm
Yes thank you. Wasn't sure if 'DH' meant something along the lines of Divorced Husband or Deceased Husband. It was weird wondering why people kept living with their 'DH's when they were divorced...
Worse yet if they seemed to be living with their Deceased Husband :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Bogleheads:

I have been around for a long time and more than half the abbreviations (and ticker symbols) I don't know. I'm too busy to look them up, so I simply ignore most posts with unknown abbreviations (and I ignore nearly all posts with unknown ticker symbols). I suspect others do the same.

Bogleheads seeking replies should always spell-out little used abbreviations and all ticker symbols.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:48 pm

The left-side menu of every wiki page (not in mobile view) has a link to the wiki's Abbreviations and Acronyms page ("Acronyms").

Typing "Abbreviations" in the wiki's search box will get you to the same page.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm

I can't claim MMINUA [Me Myself and I Never Use Abbreviations], but they exist mostly to save time and effort on the part of the one writer. As one writer, I'm willing to put in a little more time and effort to save time and effort on the part of the many readers.

YMMV :happy [Your Mileage May Vary]

PJW [Phineas J. Whoopee]

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 am

The ones that annoy me and seem particularly lazy are abbreviations that stand for more than one term. For example, FI is used for both Fixed Income and Financial Independence. You can usually get it from the context, but not always, and certainly not always without wasting some time on it. Maybe if we had some standardized portmanteau words, it would be more reader friendly. Fixed income could be fixinc?

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm
Bogleheads:

I have been around for a long time and more than half the abbreviations (and ticker symbols) I don't know. I'm too busy to look them up, so I simply ignore most posts with unknown abbreviations (and I ignore nearly all posts with unknown ticker symbols). I suspect others do the same.

Bogleheads seeking replies should always spell-out little used abbreviations and all ticker symbols.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

Marketman

Post by Marketman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:18 am

I wish posters would spell thing out the first time and then use abbreviations. I also wish they would cite a funds name before using ticker symbols. I usually ignore posts that have abbreviations and ticker symbols. I'm just usually too lazy to look them up.

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 am

Coolstavi wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:27 pm
I hope this is where I post this.

I am so confused when people are talking about their significant other and using many abberviations (DH or MIL..etc..) to describe them. Can someone explain what the most commonly used one are so I can understand the posts better?
I dont understand why people dont just spell it out and be done with it. Doesn't really take that much more effort.