How to make a first post?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

How to make a first post?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Administrators:

Hard to believe, but when someone wants to make a first-time post, there are no instructions on www.bogleheads.org. ???

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

JPH

Re: How to make a first post?

Post by JPH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I agree, and complained about it earlier in the week. I'm not exactly a new member, but always have trouble finding how to post a new topic.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

TD2626

Post by TD2626 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 pm

What about this link? (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212). It's featured as a sticky so it's fairly prominent.

Or do you want something that more explains the mechanics of posting (i.e. what to click on, etc)?

I agree that general instructions could probably be made more prominent. The bogleheads.org page has a link to this page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started and that page has a section on "Asking questions" Mabye that section could be expanded.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm

The top of every forum page has a link to the forum FAQ , which has been present in the forum software since Day 1. In this version, the FAQ is the 2nd link from the left.

For example: How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 am

I agree with Taylor that I think it should be more obvious. At the very least, if the expectation is that you would go to the FAQ's to find that info, why not put a link to the FAQ's on the home page as well as in the forum pages? Seems like there are a lot of little things that you have to know (or be used to using BB software) on here. I know for me, this is in fact the first and only online BB I have ever used, so I find myself hunting all over for things that it seems others just assume is common knowledge

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 am

Another of those distinctions between the main page and forum pages. On the latter there's a prominent New Topic button.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.