Why so many 'negative' responses?

Discussions about the forum and contents
heybro

Why so many 'negative' responses?

Post by heybro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

I have noticed a common trend.
After someone posts a topic, most of the replies are usually very negative.

I understand the point of discussing things is to consider other viewpoints and perhaps get a firmer understanding of the best practices, principles, and methods.

I also understand that certain debates will last forever and can not be resolved.

However, I am talking about someone posting something very straightforward and getting 20 responses about how it doesn't apply in every case or is extremely wrong because they didn't consider that Hawaii doesn't apply to the scenario on every 3rd century. It just seems like people are looking for any excuse to disagree with something. People are not really focusing on the intent or the point of the topic and instead wish to grandstand somehow.

Anyone else notice this?

Tycoon

Re: Why so many 'negative' responses?

Post by Tycoon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm

heybro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

I understand the point of discussing things is to consider other viewpoints and perhaps get a firmer understanding of the best practices, principles, and methods.

I also understand that certain debates will last forever and can not be resolved.

However, I am talking about someone posting something very straightforward and getting 20 responses about how it doesn't apply in every case or is extremely wrong because they didn't consider that Hawaii doesn't apply to the scenario on every 3rd century. It just seems like people are looking for any excuse to disagree with something. People are not really focusing on the intent or the point of the topic and instead wish to grandstand somehow.

Anyone else notice this?
There is a golden nugget in almost every post.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

celia

Post by celia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I don't see this negativity. What I see is a reminder of all the "and"s, "if"s, or "but"s. Often there are alternative ways of reaching the same goal. And there are often IRS rules that have pitfalls attached. Wouldn't you want to be aware of them before you made the "big move"? Or would you rather we be "yes" men/women? Then we wouldn't need a forum. We could have an auto-reply: "Sounds good.... Go for it."

In your case, maybe we can agree to disagree?

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Can you provide a link to an example?

I look at it from the opposite perspective -- people often make blanket statements in their responses without considering that there are important exceptions. So maybe what you see as "Hawaii every 3rd century" I see as a significant caveat?

heybro

Post by heybro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I have never seen anyone say 'sounds good!' I think is my point.

I just get the feeling that if I said 'pie is good' and someone responded with 'only with ice cream!,' that if I started a new thread that said 'pie is good especially with ice cream' than that same person would even disagree with their original statement and post yet another response that says 'but you need a spoon!'

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Jeez, two examples in a row right above here.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm
heybro wrote:

Anyone else notice this?
There is a golden nugget in almost every post.
+1
I do this all the time. I simply agree that "there is a golden nugget in almost every post."
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm

heybro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm
Ha! Ha! One can search the forum for the phrase "sounds good" and find over 300 instances.

Sorry! :sharebeer
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm

No you're wrong!

Just kidding.

:)

I think it's just life. Lots of contrarians, lots of people looking to pick at scabs, lots of people like to be tough guys behind their keyboards. Just life.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 pm

heybro wrote:
I have noticed a common trend. After someone posts a topic, most of the replies are usually very negative.

Anyone else notice this?
In a word, no.

If find the participants on this board unusually courteous and positive as these Internet things go.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 pm

heybro wrote:
Anyone else notice this?
Here's my favorite:

Original post: "Can anyone recommend a good bourbon?"

Reply: "I don't drink alcohol. [What I really mean is that I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to this conversation, but I'm still going to judge you based on my own personal tremendously biased value system that, when you really break it down objectively, is just as much nonsense as anyone else's highly biased value system. But I still think I'm better than you]"

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 pm

I think that Bogleheads probably tend to be analytical type of people .They like to analyze stuff. After all, if personal finance is your hobby you are in a select group. Analytical folk tend to try to pick stuff apart to see if it holds - this could be perceived as negativity but I think it's just good debate.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 pm

When I first joined here I thought the same OP. After lurking for months everything clicked one day and something became perfectly clear to me. This forum is here to help others and offer constructive criticism. Think of it as your outspoken best friend who just can't hel themselves (and is almost always right).

It may just be the kick in the pants some people need to get serious about personal finance.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 pm
When I first joined here I thought the same OP. After lurking for months everything clicked one day and something became perfectly clear to me. This forum is here to help others and offer constructive criticism. Think of it as your outspoken best friend who just can't hel themselves (and is almost always right).

It may just be the kick in the pants some people need to get serious about personal finance.
+1
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

A word of appreciation

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 pm

heybro wrote:
I have noticed a common trend. After someone posts a topic, most of the replies are usually very negative.
I recently read all of the replies (currently 1840) in my Three-Fund Portfolio post.

I am happy to say that nearly all of the replies were positive. I am very appreciative.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:11 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 pm
heybro wrote:
Anyone else notice this?
Here's my favorite:

Reply: "I don't drink alcohol. [What I really mean is that I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to this conversation, but I'm still going to judge you based on my own personal tremendously biased value system that, when you really break it down objectively, is just as much nonsense as anyone else's highly biased value system. But I still think I'm better than you]"

This is great! I have noticed this kind of judgmental negativity on occasion. Your analysis is spot on.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:11 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 pm
heybro wrote:
Anyone else notice this?
Here's my favorite:

See, I don't have a problem with that response.

People go about their lives in many different ways. Maybe someone will think, hey, I like that guy's plan to not drink alcohol. A forum is for sharing ideas and you know what, many of those ideas will be drastically different than yours. Just because they are different doesn't mean they are negative.

People need to step out of the box every once in a while, it is a strange and different world out there. Just because someone points out an alternative means, it doesn't mean they are negative. I personally enjoy all of the viewpoints, who says they are judgmental? They provide some things for me to think about.

After all, who wants to visit a forum called the "rubber stamp heads"?

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 pm

heybro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm
Sounds good! :wink:
Steve

junior

Post by junior » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

heybro wrote:

Anyone else notice this?
People who agree might just nod silently rather than post +1 or "I agree" since those sort of posts can be seen as not adding anything to the discussion.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:20 pm

heybro, Do you mean posts like this (from something I posted earlier today--click on the arrow if you want to see the whole post):
celia wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm
Wife is retired, I am part-time considering full retirement but am the type who is always concerned about running out of money, so I can't seem to pull the trigger.
First, the more you continue to work, the more you fall into the "deep tax hole" you are digging for yourself. So stop it. :oops:
Why make future taxes worse?
This was meant to jolt the OP into thinking about what the implications are of continuing what he is currently doing. He already has more than enough money to retire.

What I suggest is for you ....
But I also gave him my recommendation.

A word about the taxes that might seem huge to you:
While you were working, you tax-deferred some of your income...
Then I tried to put things in perspective, showing the lifetime view of using "tax-deferred" accounts.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Before members start digging up "example" posts of other members' behaviors, this thread has run its course and is locked. Consider that you (no one specific in mind here) might be an unwilling example...

First, if anyone is reacting in an "uncivil" manner to someone, please report the post and let the moderators take care of it. That's our job. See: REPORTING VIOLATIONS AND UNWELCOME PMs

Next, lead by example. Intent is easily conveyed in person through body language and listening to how opinions are stated. That simply can't be done in an anonymous internet forum. Also consider that English is a second language to some members. The best approach is to state your reply in a civil, factual manner, and avoid slang.

:!: Always treat every member with respect.

How? See: Please Do Not Bite the Newcomers, repeated below.
LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 pm
I'd also like to provide some general guidance when new investors ask about this. Subject: PSA: Distributions -- Why your fund dropped
LadyGeek wrote:I took a look in VWINX declining, any ideas why?. If this thread was a sticky, I really don't think the OP would understand the concept. We need to explain it to him.

When dealing with your own money up close and personal, your emotions take hold. New investors will seek the confidence from our experienced members that yes, this is really what's happening. All is OK. As stated in this post:
nisiprius wrote:Hey folks... Wikipedia has a formal policy whose formal name is "Please do not bite the newcomers." Here, I guess, it's considered to be part of "We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tone."

dansmall, please don't be hurt at the reaction...an awful lot of new investors don't understand the effect of a dividend distribution on prices and are taken aback the first time it happens. As a result this forum always gets a lot of posts like yours...
(moved below)...
Here's the link: Wikipedia:Please do not bite the newcomers. I've taken the liberty to paraphrase it for this forum.
  • Understand that newcomers are both necessary for and valuable to the community. By empowering newcomers, we can improve the diversity of knowledge, perspectives, and ideas on this forum, thereby preserving its integrity as a resource and ultimately increasing its value.
  • If a newcomer seems to have made a small mistake, try to correct it yourself: do not slam the newcomer. Remember, this is a place where anyone may comment and therefore it is each person's responsibility to complement, rather than to criticize or supervise others. If you use bad manners or curse at newcomers, they may decide not to contribute to the forum again.
  • When giving advice, tone down the rhetoric a few notches from the usual mellow discourse that dominates this forum. Make the newcomer feel genuinely welcome, not as though they must win your approval in order to be granted membership into an exclusive club. Any new domain of concentrated, special-purpose human activity has its own specialized structures, which take time to learn (and which benefit from periodic re-examination and revision).
  • Assume good faith on the part of newcomers. They most likely want to help out. Give them a chance!
  • Remember Hanlon's Razor. Behavior that appears malicious to experienced Bogleheads is more likely caused by ignorance of our expectations and rules. Even if you are 100% sure that someone is a worthless, no-good Internet troll, vandal, or worse, conduct yourself as if they are not. Remember that today's vandals might be tomorrow's experts. By giving a polite, honest and unsuspecting answer to newcomers, whether vandals or not, you teach them Bogleheads investment philosophy. By being calm, interested, and respectful, you do credit to your dignity, and to the forum.
  • Remember that you too were once a newcomer. Treat others as you were treated (or, perhaps, wish you had been treated) when you first arrived.
  • Remember: "Don't bite, do what's right. Being a friend is all right."
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.