Question about displayed time of most recent post

Discussions about the forum and contents
Conch55

Question about displayed time of most recent post

Post by Conch55 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 am

When I view the main page of all posts (https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php) the displayed time of the most recent post is 1 hour behind current time on my PC. When I view posts via the Forum home page ( index.php) the time displayed is correct. Is there something I can set to correct the main page displayed time?

FiveK

Re: Question about displayed time of most recent post

Post by FiveK » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Noticed the same thing, despite settings in Bogleheads.org - User Control Panel - Edit global settings looking correct.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 pm

FiveK wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm
Noticed the same thing, despite settings in Bogleheads.org - User Control Panel - Edit global settings looking correct.
It's been this way on BH as long as I can remember, and I've just given up.

No matter what I try to tweak the time settings on the BH site and also on my laptop, I can't get them to match with the real local time.
Not a huge problem, but it always appears that I posted one hour off the real posting time.
(That shouldn't confuse anyone but me, right? :wink: )
But it's odd.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm

My understanding is that the main page (Bogleheads.org) does not access time zones. It appears to always show the Central time zone or Eastern Standard Time even when we're in Daylight Savings Time (I haven't observed for long enough to determine which is the case). The forum main page will access your preferred time zone settings as long as you're logged in.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm
My understanding is that the main page (Bogleheads.org) does not access time zones. It appears to always show the Central time zone or Eastern Standard Time even when we're in Daylight Savings Time (I haven't observed for long enough to determine which is the case). The forum main page will access your preferred time zone settings as long as you're logged in.
The problem I'm having, and I assume the other (?), is occurring when logged in.
(I don't think there is a way I could be trying to set and reset the time zone in an attempt to "fix" this, without being logged in.)

RM

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
The problem I'm having, and I assume the other (?), is occurring when logged in.
(I don't think there is a way I could be trying to set and reset the time zone in an attempt to "fix" this, without being logged in.)
You're logged in to the forum, but the main bogleheads.org page is not the forum (it's totally different code). While the main page might query some forum settings for display and wrap around forum links for accessing posts, obviously it does not query the timezone setting for displaying time. It may not even be an easy query for them to make, while changing the links to go to the first unread post is a trivially easy change to make.

If you want accurate time, use the forum index (index.php) or the forum new posts link (search.php?search_id=newposts). If you use the main page, you have to live with the features that the volunteer Boglehead coders have provided.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
You're logged in to the forum, but the main bogleheads.org page is not the forum (it's totally different code). While the main page might query some forum settings for display and wrap around forum links for accessing posts, obviously it does not query the timezone setting for displaying time. It may not even be an easy query for them to make, while changing the links to go to the first unread post is a trivially easy change to make.

If you want accurate time, use the forum index (index.php) or the forum new posts link (search.php?search_id=newposts). If you use the main page, you have to live with the features that the volunteer Boglehead coders have provided.
Thanks! Finally an explanation.

Sure enough, on the main page as you stated (but not how I typically view BH), the time is correct.

So I take it there is no way to adjust the times as they show on my displays of each post, etc.?
I've long since just adjusted. It's not a big deal, obviously, but it was just a bit befuddling.

Thanks again.

RM

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:03 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm
Thanks! Finally an explanation.

Sure enough, on the main page as you stated (but not how I typically view BH), the time is correct.

So I take it there is no way to adjust the times as they show on my displays of each post, etc.?
I've long since just adjusted. It's not a big deal, obviously, but it was just a bit befuddling.
It should be noted that bogleheads.org main page and the forum new posts link (search.php?search_id=newposts) display the same content, just formatted differently. The forum new posts link will use whatever timezone settings you have set in User Control Panel (Click your username in the right top corner of this post to access User Control Panel). The bogleheads.org main page will use a fixed timezone (which is either Central Time that follows daylight savings time or Eastern Standard Time that doesn't follow daylight savings time, we'll have to wait until November to see which it is).

For example, I have my timezone set to Pacific with daylight savings time observed. On the bogleheads.org main page I see:
27 p Can't freeze credit at Experian? 09/09 slin 16:51 Gadget
4 c Rental Car Scam--Insurance claim or credit card chargeback? 16:20 Jags4186 16:50 StevieG72
On the forum new posts page I see:
Can't freeze credit at Experian?
by slin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 am » in Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Last post by Gadget Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Rental Car Scam--Insurance claim or credit card chargeback?
by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm » in Personal Consumer Issues
Last post by StevieG72 Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:50 pm
The timestamps of the forum new posts page matches my timezone settings (they're showing Pacific Daylight Time), while the timestamps of the main bogleheads.org page show two hours later (16:51 -> 4:51pm, when my local time is 2:51pm). Everyone will see 16:51 on the main bogleheads.org page, while the forum new posts page will adjust based on each user's timezone settings.

I personally browse through the forum interface because I'm used to phpBB, so my eyes are trained to ignore the "fluff" (extra info) it displays. But I understand why some people prefer the brevity of the bogleheads.org main page. In this case, the tradeoff for that brevity is you don't get accurate timezone adjustments in the post times.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 pm

^^^ The home page is set to the server's time zone, which is the time zone used when you are not logged in.

You can see this now by logging out, then viewing the Board index. The current time is displayed in the top-right corner, just under the menu bar.

Although we moved the server to Nevada, the server's time zone wasn't changed to match the move. It's still set to US Eastern.

To answer your question before November, the home page does not correct for Daylight saving time offsets. Although we added functionality to go to the first unread post (when logged in), we didn't adjust the displayed post time to match your settings. It's something to think about, though.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.