Delete All Board Cookies

Discussions about the forum and contents
tomd37

Delete All Board Cookies

Post by tomd37 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:39 am

I am not "computer literate" (in fact just the opposite) so I ask the question what does the icon at the bottom of the page "delete all board cookies" mean? What happens if I click on it or if I do not click on it? :?
Tom D.

David Jay

Re: Delete All Board Cookies

Post by David Jay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:43 am

You lose both chocolate chip :( AND oatmeal raisin :annoyed

(sorry - just couldn't resist, hope someone can answer your question)
Last edited by David Jay on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 am

It tracks your "logged in" status. If you delete them, you'll be logged out. When you log in again, AND click the Remember Me box, it will create a new cookie that will remember you are already logged in.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

tomd37 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:39 am
I am not "computer literate" (in fact just the opposite) so I ask the question what does the icon at the bottom of the page "delete all board cookies" mean? What happens if I click on it or if I do not click on it? :?
Cookies are how browsers store information by request of the website. They're used for an assortment of things, but, as prudent said, on this board, they're used to keep track of your login.

So the "delete all board cookies" link is basically a fancy way of saying "don't just log me out, well and truly log me out". It deletes all Bogleheads forum login cookies, including any "stale cookies" that might be left over if your browser or computer crashed or didn't properly complete a previous log out. The regular log out button will only delete your current cookies, not the stale ones.

You primarily only need to use the link if you're having issues logging in.