OP - please delete all posts by TomatoTomahto

Discussions about the forum and contents
TomatoTomahto

OP - please delete all posts by TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 am

This morning, user supbb requested that a thread begun by supbb, with comments posted by many, be deleted. The post had, in supbb's mind, outlived its usefulness.

I wrote a reply indicating that I thought the thread might be of use to future readers with similar questions, and that to delete it would be short-sighted and not respectful of the time invested by the posters who replied. I also noted that, by my reading, no anonymity destroying facts were posted by supbb.

Before I had a chance to post that reply, the thread was deleted.

So, since deleting posts is now an option based on nothing more substantive than a wish, I respectfully request that the moderators remove any and all posts by TomatoTomahto. I will continue to read the forum, but I have to say that I'm disappointed.

TomatoTomahto

Re: OP - please delete all posts by TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

I see that, in the meantime, the thread wasn't deleted, but rather closed. My request still stands.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 am

Oh please no!! TomatoTomahto, you're one of the most respected BH posters in my opinion. I understand your disappointment, but I love being able to re-read your past posts filled with wisdom, humor, insights, and perspectives. Not to mention I hope to see many more posts from you!!
Last edited by Soul.in.Progress on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 am
This morning, user supbb requested that a thread begun by supbb, with comments posted by many, be deleted. The post had, in supbb's mind, outlived its usefulness.

I wrote a reply indicating that I thought the thread might be of use to future readers with similar questions, and that to delete it would be short-sighted and not respectful of the time invested by the posters who replied. I also noted that, by my reading, no anonymity destroying facts were posted by supbb.

Before I had a chance to post that reply, the thread was deleted.

So, since deleting posts is now an option based on nothing more substantive than a wish, I respectfully request that the moderators remove any and all posts by TomatoTomahto. I will continue to read the forum, but I have to say that I'm disappointed.
Please stay :happy

Also, apparently the entire thread is still there (as of "now", anyway), although the OP has deleted the Original Post itself.
And I think that has always been allowed (to delete the content of a post of one's own), no?

LadyGeek simply locked the thread.

Did I miss a short time when the entire thread was gone?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 am

It's standard procedure here that when an OP deletes the starting post in a thread that the thread gets locked.
No reason for the rest of us to take it as a personal insult...
Attempted new signature...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

...Did I miss a short time when the entire thread was gone?

RM
Yes.
OP renamed the thread as "please delete".
LG then locked it, rather than deleting it, and restored the original name in brackets...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 am

The Wizard wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
Yes.
LG then locked it, rather than deleting it, and restored the original name in brackets...

That sounds like the original thread *title* was changed (to "deleted"??), not that the thread itself was removed/deleted...?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 am
The Wizard wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
Yes.

That sounds like the original thread *title* was changed (to "deleted"??), not that the thread itself was removed/deleted...?

RM
Correct.
So it was possibly the OP's change to the thread title that caused Tomato's reply to not connect.
Either way, the bulk of the thread remains with enough context to be helpful to others...

student

Post by student » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:23 am

I am wondering what are the criteria for the moderators to delete a thread. I know that the moderators will lock a thread under various circumstances. I understand that some posts will be deleted/censored if inappropriate languages are used. But it was not clear to me the criteria used for deleting a thread. I think last week there was a thread about automation and touched on universal basic income with a few replies. I fully expect it to be locked. Unless I am mistaken, it was deleted.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 am

Please keep in mind that the appropriate action to take is make this request to the moderators.

Nothing good comes of a "noisy withdrawal" and the moderators likely would have explained the situation so that you could make an informed decision.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

JT

goingup

Post by goingup » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 am

TT-
Not understanding your reaction. It seems like a non-issue but I hope you reconsider your decision to stop posting. Your contributions are terrific!

If you do want all your posts deleted I hope this doesn't create a lot of work for the mods. Making life harder for them to prove a point is poor form IMO.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 am

As noted earlier, questions regarding thread moderation should be discussed with a moderator privately. See: Member Rights in a Dispute, second paragraph.

To address a few concerns:
  • The decision to lock or remove a thread is a judgment call. If anyone disagrees with a moderator action, see Member Rights in a Dispute
  • It is a violation of our own policy to remove the respondent's posts if they (and the original post) did not violate our policies. See: Forum Policy
    Rights Granted by Authors

- Post authors grant the right for their work to be displayed on the forum without compensation.
    - Post authors grant other forum members in good standing the right to quote all or part of their posts in other posts on the forum (and post authors understand that although they may later edit their own posts, such edits will have no effect on quoted extracts made by other forum members).
  • Members spend a lot of time composing replies. Also, readers are learning from these posts. Removal of posts would be a disservice to the readers and members.
  • Threads are not deleted, but moved to a private area accessible to site administrators and moderators.
  • We may accommodate requests for removal if privacy (personally identifiable information) is a concern.
(Thread locked to end discussion.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.