Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1

Discussions about the forum and contents
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am

The software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.1.

Icons

All of the icons have changed to "Font Awesome" icons which have Retina display quality and should be easier to read.

Layout

From a layout perspective, the Bogleheads icons at the top of the forum page have changed location.

"Wiki", "Forum Policies", "Support this Site", and "Amazon" are now located in the top-left corner, just under the forum logo. If your browser can't fit them all in one line, they'll be automatically relocated to the "Quick links" drop-down.

Mobile devices will see a different header (top of page). There's no logo and the search box is replaced by a search icon which goes to Google.

Emojis

Emojis are used much like emoticons and exist in various genres, including facial expressions, common objects, places and types of weather, and animals. They are different than the smilies ( :happy emoticons) seen in the post editing area.

Most mobile devices provide an Emoji keyboard, so you can add them to your forum post directly. Desktop users can use this site Get Emoji, which is a list of all Emojis to ✂️ Copy and 📋 Paste 👌.

Please use good netiquette and don't post an excessive number of emojis in your forum post.

Clever Quotes

This is a significant update and a very welcome change. An example is shown below.
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 am
Bumping for visibility.
- Clicking on "LadyGeek" will go to the member's profile (must be logged in to view)
- Clicking on the ↑ character (after 'LadyGeek wrote:') will go directly to the post.
- The quote contains a time stamp when the post was originally made.

Notifications

It will be very difficult to miss the new large red icons indicating you have a Notification or Private Message waiting.
==========================

If anyone needs help with the new software, please post here.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bayview

Re: Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1

Post by bayview » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:45 am

I love the clever quotes. I can't think how much time I've spent on a long thread trying to find an original quote.

This just works from here on out, correct? I don't see it on pre-existing quotes.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

thegoogly

Post by thegoogly » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 am

Nice work :sharebeer

longinvest

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by longinvest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am
The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.1. See: Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1
Yay! Quotes now have a link to the original post, like they've had on FWF, our sister site, for a few months already. This is really awesome.

Thanks, LadyGeek!
Bogleheads investment philosophy | Lifelong Portfolio: 25% each of (domestic/international)stocks/(nominal/inflation-indexed)bonds | VCN/VXC/VAB/ZRR

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am

bayview wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:45 am
I love the clever quotes. I can't think how much time I've spent on a long thread trying to find an original quote.

This just works from here on out, correct? I don't see it on pre-existing quotes.
Correct. The forum's database adds the information at the time of the post. Prior to this version, this feature was not supported and it's not possible to fix the old ones.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am
bayview wrote:

Correct. The forum's database adds the information at the time of the post. Prior to this version, this feature was not supported and it's not possible to fix the old ones.
It's great like it is; I'll certainly take it.

And you're right --the notifications DO jump out at you now! :D
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am
Mobile devices will see a different header (top of page). There's no logo and the search box is replaced by a search icon which goes to Google.
Just curious, does "mobile devices" include Safari on iPads? Just asking, that's what I'm posting with here and I'm seeing the old header with Bogleheads logo and search box.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am

It appears that the software upgrade broke this hack, at least it did for me. I'll try to fix the hack later.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

aorin

Post by aorin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 am

triceratop wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am
It appears that the software upgrade broke this hack, at least it did for me. I'll try to fix the hack later.
I updated that post with the version I currently have. I must have changed the replace string at some point, but it still seems to work with the new forum software.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am
. . .

Emojis

Emojis are used much like emoticons and exist in various genres, including facial expressions, common objects, places and types of weather, and animals. They are different than the smilies ( :happy emoticons) seen in the post editing area.

Most mobile devices provide an Emoji keyboard, so you can add them to your forum post directly. Desktop users can use this site Get Emoji, which is a list of all Emojis to ✂️ Copy and 📋 Paste 👌.

Please use good netiquette and don't post an excessive number of emojis in your forum post.

Clever Quotes

This is a significant update and a very welcome change. An example is shown below.

LadyGeek wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:24 am
Bumping for visibility.

- Clicking on "LadyGeek" will go to the member's profile (must be logged in to view)
- Clicking on the ↑ character (after 'LadyGeek wrote:') will go directly to the post.
- The quote contains a time stamp when the post was originally made. . . .
I see the emoticons when I post, but I don't see the emojis.

I'm not sure I understand what a "Clever Quote" is.

Thanks.
Gordon

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Excellent.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm

^^^ Thanks!
gkaplan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 pm
I see the emoticons when I post, but I don't see the emojis.

I'm not sure I understand what a "Clever Quote" is.

Thanks.
The emojis are not part of the post editing area, you need to insert them yourself. Go to Get Emoji, find one you like, then copy-n-paste it into your post. Here are a few examples: ✂️ ✏️ ⌛️

You can test this in: Please Try Out Test Posts Here - I see the fun has already started. 😄

"Clever Quote" is the "new and improved" phpBB quote format. Look at the top of the quote in the post. You'll see:
  • A link to your user profile (gkaplan - must be logged in to view)
  • An up-arrow () which is a link back to the original post
  • The date and time of the post which has been quoted.
Only posts quoted with this latest forum software version have the feature. It's not possible to fix the older ones.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Okay. I can see that a Clever Quote is no different from before, other than the up arrow and the time stamp.

Unlike emoticons, from what I can see, hovering your mouse over the emoji won't reveal what the emoji is supposed to imply.
Gordon

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:12 am

gkaplan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm
Unlike emoticons, from what I can see, hovering your mouse over the emoji won't reveal what the emoji is supposed to imply.
Now we can all play the game from the Late Late Show with Jame Corden: Emoji News. At least that's what I feel like when I see people testing the new emoji capabilities over on the test post.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 am

longinvest wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am
Yay! Quotes now have a link to the original post, like they've had on FWF, our sister site, for a few months already. This is really awesome.
What is FWF? I looked a little but couldn't figure it out....

Paul K

Post by Paul K » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 am
longinvest wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am
What is FWF? I looked a little but couldn't figure it out....
A forum for Canadian Bogleheads:
http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am

I don't know if anyone has spotted a new feature when viewing threads (must be logged in). Take a look at the top-left corner of each post.

The icon to the left of the post author info* changes color if you've read the post. It's the icon just to the left of this post info:

Code: Select all

by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 am
If you haven't read the post, the icon is red. If you have read the post, the color is light gray.

Also, the last post in the thread will have the post title color in black.

* Font Awesome fa-file

==================
For the tech crowd:

The software developers have incorporated Accessibility into the style. Those who understand how to Inspect the browser source will see this for the post icon:

<class="icon fa-file fa-fw icon-lightgray icon-md" aria-hidden="true">
Usage guidelines: Font Awesome & Accessibility
From the W3C (standards organization): Using ARIA

Accessibility is not new to phpBB, but I'd like to point this out to our members experienced in website design.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am
If you haven't read the post, the icon is red. If you have read the post, the color is light gray.
The icon changing color based on the read status of the post (when logged in) is not new behavior, so I assume the new behavior is incorporating the Font Awesome accessibility tags.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Quick geeky question: is the database still rebuilding indices and the like? Advanced search for a keyword in first post only is much slower post-upgrade than it was pre-upgrade, but it would be understandable if the database was still "doing its thing" post-upgrade.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Yes, that's my bet. Searches are very heavy on CPU resources. Not just for advanced keyword searches, but for viewing your posts and new posts (which are also searches).

The last time we did a major upgrade, it took several days for the server to get the search indexes caught up.

To those familiar with Windows 7 file search indexing, it's the same thing but on a much larger scale.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
The icon changing color based on the read status of the post (when logged in) is not new behavior, so I assume the new behavior is incorporating the Font Awesome accessibility tags.
That shows you how well the new design works, as I missed that point in the prior release. :)

Color yes, but not accessibility - the <aria-hidden="true"> attribute is not affected. Here's a post that has not been read:

<class="icon fa-file fa-fw icon-red icon-md" aria-hidden="true">

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:09 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
That shows you how well the new design works, as I missed that point in the prior release. :)

Color yes, but not accessibility - the <aria-hidden="true"> attribute is not affected. Here's a post that has not been read:

<class="icon fa-file fa-fw icon-red icon-md" aria-hidden="true">
Since this is a semantic icon, the real important part is the next line containing the sr-only span. The given line just tells the screen-reader "don't read this line", but the sr-only span line tells the screen-reader what to say out-loud instead of the icon line. I haven't looked at the source yet, but I would imagine this would say something like "Unread post" or "New Post" to provide the appropriate semantic context.

It's been a while since I've dipped my toes in web-dev, but every web developer should have a screen reader setup to test their pages and should also test how their pages respond to magnification for their visually impaired users. They should also see how annoying it might be for someone with limited hand mobility to click on a specific icon (people who make a one-character link should lose development privileges) or perform other mouse-driven tasks. You can make a special virtual machine with really horrible mouse fidelity to test that out. They should also try out their pages using nothing but the keyboard to navigate.

We have to complete periodic mandatory online training modules for my state agency, so I always turn on accessibility mode for such training just to see how accessible it truly is. One particularly egregious training module required very specific drag-and-drop actions with the mouse that could not be replicated by the keyboard. I provided feedback about how horrible that was for anyone with mobility impairments, but it was the exact same thing the next year when the mandatory training was required again. I suppose it will remain until we either hire a new training company or someone with mobility impairment files a complaint.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm

bayview wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am
bayview wrote:

It's great like it is; I'll certainly take it.
I hate the new quoting method. The double quotes look like cartoon eyes following me around. A little creepy. And when the quotes are nested in each other the date and times of the original post keep indenting to the left. It is visual clutter, in my opinion. Since the date and time stamp do not show up on my phone (but the creepy double quotes do), I suppose it is a space issue.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

On the iPhone, the search "cog" symbol has disappeared. This feature is important for me as I search several times a day for posts for a particular user and a keyword I recall to help narrow down the relevant posts.

Related to that is that when I searched for all my posts on my computer today, I went to the last page that shows my oldest posts. On that page, about half of the listings do not show a thread title which is also a link into that particular post. So now I can't go look at those posts since I don't have an easy way to get into them.

And today I noticed for a while that my post count dropped by several thousands but appears to be back to normal now.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:55 pm

celia wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm
Related to that is that when I searched for all my posts on my computer today, I went to the last page that shows my oldest posts. On that page, about half of the listings do not show a thread title which is also a link into that particular post. So now I can't go look at those posts since I don't have an easy way to get into them.

And today I noticed for a while that my post count dropped by several thousands but appears to be back to normal now.
This may be part of the database rebuilding itself. Give it a couple of days to "do its thing" and try again. I seem to recall the same issues happened after the last forum upgrade and it went away after a few days.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am

celia wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm
The double quotes look like cartoon eyes following me around. A little creepy.
To me those quotes seem to be looking over my left shoulder. It's like they see someone sneaking up behind me!
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 am

BTW thanks for doing this! I know this sort of work can be quite time consuming and you did it for free, so thank you.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 am

bertilak wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am
celia wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm
The double quotes look like cartoon eyes following me around. A little creepy.
To me those quotes seem to be looking over my left shoulder. It's like they see someone sneaking up behind me!
It is a byproduct of using Font-Awesome icons for many of the core features/functionalities. From what I understand from the phpBB development community, updating the icon set(s) is an evolving work in progress.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

celia

Post by celia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
bertilak wrote:
celia wrote:The double quotes look like cartoon eyes following me around. A little creepy.
It is a byproduct of using Font-Awesome icons for many of the core features/functionalities. From what I understand from the phpBB development community, updating the icon set(s) is an evolving work in progress.
This also reminds me of cartoons where it is dark and you see several people's eyeballs, sort of like this:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
Can we reset it to the previous font?
I think it is easy to see where nested quotes begin and end since they are each in a separate box and are obviously indented more than the previous one. How many visual cues do you need to tell that they are all separate quotes?

In this post I also took out the up-arrow and date and time so you can see how it is less-cluttered than the last time I had 3 nested quotes.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Sorry, but the font has to stay.

bayview

Post by bayview » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Really, the only negative that I've found, and it's fairly minor, is that the icons to edit a post are very faint, making them appear to be greyed out (unusable.) Since I can't really describe it better than that, start a reply to this post, and look at the icons for bold, italics, underline, etc. It's the look that you get if you're in an area where you can't edit, and therefore there's no point in clicking on the icon.

That seems very weird... But again, if that's the worst I can say, I'm good.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 pm

I think that the icon for a URL is not clear.
Gordon

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 pm

I've been trying to do a search. It's been buffering for about thirty minutes.
Gordon

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 pm
I think that the icon for a URL is not clear.
There are no icons for a URL. Can you supply an example?

(The one next to your browser's address bar is from your browser, not the forum.)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 pm

posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=225534

It's the second from the right in the composition screen.
Gordon

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 pm

You mean the "link" (two boxes linked by a line). It's second from the right on my iPhone but fourth on a bigger screen ...(others)...link...font color...text size... strikethrough.

It does make a URL tag.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 pm

in_reality wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 pm
gkaplan wrote:

You mean the "link" (two boxes linked by a line). It's second from the right on my iPhone but fourth on a bigger screen ...(others)...link...font color...text size... strikethrough.

It does make a URL tag.
I know. I guess, for me, it's not intuitive.
Gordon

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 pm
in_reality wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 pm
gkaplan wrote:

It does make a URL tag.
I know. I guess, for me, it's not intuitive.
It's not intuitive. There are some with interconnected loops which are much more intuitive.

Font Awesome is a great library and you can pay to use their 2,000 or 5,000 icon collection which contain some better alternatives.

Wow, 5000 icons. I mean I guess it's 2017 and we just have to expect icons we can't readily recognize I think. Using mouseover on a non-touch screen device gives you a gloss, but for those on a touch screen - I think that's reflective on the downside's of a small touch screen as opposed to selection of an icon that makes sense to everyone. Green? To some people it's press to turn on. To other's it means it's on. Red? Same problem... And on and on.

Tiny little font under the icon might work but then that's another complaint (too small). Too much text gets cluttered ....

But yeah, it's not the best link icon out there...

AAA

Staying logged in

Post by AAA » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I had posted previously about the forum not keeping me logged in (despite choosing that option) and having to log in again every couple of days. Others had similar experiences and there didn't seem to be a fix. I noticed in the past couple of weeks or so that it was keeping me logged in. Reading now that the forum software was recently upgraded, I assume that the upgrade somehow thankfully addressed this issue.