Getting notified about a thread

Discussions about the forum and contents
Good Listener

Getting notified about a thread

Post by Good Listener » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm

There is one thread that I am quite interested in that will only have sporadic additions. It is the online virtual boglehead meeting group, which just had its first meeting last week. It should be great and I hope others join. :sharebeer So new posts will be critical as they will announce times and dates,. Is there a way to receive email notifications when there are any new posts to a particular thread? Thank you

bayview

Re: Getting notified about a thread

Post by bayview » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Good Listener wrote:There is one thread that I am quite interested in that will only have sporadic additions. It is the online virtual boglehead meeting group, which just had its first meeting last week. It should be great and I hope others join. :sharebeer So new posts will be critical as they will announce times and dates,. Is there a way to receive email notifications when there are any new posts to a particular thread? Thank you
Look above the title of the thread (on the left of the screen), and find the monkey wrench. Click the drop-down arrow and select "Subscribe Topic." It will already be checked, which my brain likes to misinterpret, but clicking it will result in notifications whenever there are new posts.

Once you've done this, get in the habit of glancing at the top right of the screen, below the Google search box, and see if you have any Notifications. When you do, click on it, and it will take you to the new post.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Yay. Thank you. For the web people, he is quite right that the box is checked but then when you click on it it then indicates that you will be subscribed. It is counterintuitive but at least it worked.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Glad to help, and "she", actually. 8-)

OK, if everything worked, this post should trigger a notification.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Bayview explained how you subscribe to a thread.

Next you'll have to confirm how you set up your personal account re receiving notifications. In the upper right (under the Google box) at your "name" arrow down. Go to User Control Panel. Go to Board Preferences. Go to Edit notification options. Check boxes for when you want emails and/or when you want online notifications.

If Subscribe is "On" but Notifucations are "Off" you won't receive notifications.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Flobes wrote:Bayview explained how you subscribe to a thread.

Next you'll have to confirm how you set up your personal account re receiving notifications. In the upper right (under the Google box) at your "name" arrow down. Go to User Control Panel. Go to Board Preferences. Go to Edit notification options. Check boxes for when you want emails and/or when you want online notifications.

If Subscribe is "On" but Notifucations are "Off" you won't receive notifications.
Oh, great point! Thank you for adding that. I did it so long ago (as a one-time action) that I had forgotten about that.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:14 pm

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (notification).

FYI - The online chapter thread is listed in the wiki: Bogleheads® local chapters

And the blog: Bogleheads® local chapters | Financial Page
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.