Discussions about the forum and contents
AHumanInterest

Can we get an [hr] BBCode?

Post by AHumanInterest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Is it possible to add a BBCode "hr" which gets replaced with

Code: Select all

<hr/>
?

Its simple and not intrusive, and is fairly common on other forums.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Can we get an [hr] BBCode?

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:41 am

(I don't know what "standard options" are available in phpBB and don't participate in administering it. The administrators have said a number of times that they won't add or change actual code, even if it's easy, because of the maintenance burden).

I've used the HR in HTML code myself, and like the way it looks, but, honestly, is it really that different from just using a line of underbars?
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, you can't make it span the page neatly because you don't know how wide the reader will have set the window.

Another possibility is to use an image like this one (999 pixels wide, 2 pixels high in this case):
This is fairly adaptable, and, of course, gives the option of using different shades and/or colors.

Just ideas.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

AHumanInterest

Post by AHumanInterest » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 am

It shouldn't require code changes. Its just a setting :)

Good point on the alternatives though

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:20 pm

AHumanInterest wrote:It shouldn't require code changes. Its just a setting :)

Good point on the alternatives though
Not a source code change, just updating the BBCode.

I don't see any significant reasons to implement a single HTML element. Let's keep the post editor as "stock" as possible.

This is an interesting solution:
nisiprius wrote:...Another possibility is to use an image like this one (999 pixels wide, 2 pixels high in this case):
This is fairly adaptable, and, of course, gives the option of using different shades and/or colors.

Just ideas.
Which looks like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://s12.postimg.org/kohap68el/image.png[/img]
Images are scaled to fit within the post, so it works.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.