Notifications not working correctly

Discussions about the forum and contents
Superorb

Notifications not working correctly

Post by Superorb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Two issues. First is that I just received an email and a notification that someone replied to my thread when nobody replied unless maybe they deleted their post? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216881

Second is that I have disabled all notifications and enabled the emails, yet when I go back to that same settings page all of the previously disable notifications were checked again. Board Preferences -> Edit notification options.

Ok, so I can uncheck everything and it will stick, but if I check any email it will also check the notification which I don't want. I can check the notification but not the email and that sticks. It is not supposed to work this way, I should be able to check whatever I want or don't want.

Pajamas

Re: Notifications not working correctly

Post by Pajamas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Someone DID reply to your post. Maybe you are not seeing it. Try clearing your cache and set your browser to clear the cache when you close it.

Superorb

Post by Superorb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Pajamas wrote:Someone DID reply to your post. Maybe you are not seeing it. Try clearing your cache and set your browser to clear the cache when you close it.

I have 2 emails for replies to that thread 30mins apart and there's only a single reply that I can see. Bloom2708 was the first user to reply and I can't see their reply. It's showing up in my notifications that I can't get to stop because the forum won't allow me to uncheck notifications.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Did some checking.

Yes, someone did reply to your post then deleted it, which explains why you got a notification then saw no replies.

On the other issue regarding email vs notifications, in the current version of the forum software (phpBB) you can have both or you can have just notifications, but you cannot have email without notifications. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=207405&p=3180118&hilit=notifications#p3180118 .

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Superorb wrote:
Pajamas wrote:Someone DID reply to your post. Maybe you are not seeing it. Try clearing your cache and set your browser to clear the cache when you close it.

I have 2 emails for replies to that thread 30mins apart and there's only a single reply that I can see. Bloom2708 was the first user to reply and I can't see their reply. It's showing up in my notifications that I can't get to stop because the forum won't allow me to uncheck notifications.

Sorry, I replied and then realized you answered what I answered later in your post. So, was a useless reply. Deleted.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Superorb

Post by Superorb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Sorry, I replied and then realized you answered what I answered later in your post. So, was a useless reply. Deleted.

Next time just edit your post to say "deleted" or "nevermind" or whatever you'd like. That way people like me don't lose our minds ;)

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Point noted. If a deleted post makes you "lose your mind", well.. :mrgreen: :wink: :beer
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Feel free to ignore notifications and see how high you can get the number up to.
I'm at 245 presently...
Attempted new signature...

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Superorb wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Sorry, I replied and then realized you answered what I answered later in your post. So, was a useless reply. Deleted.

Next time just edit your post to say "deleted" or "nevermind" or whatever you'd like. That way people like me don't lose our minds ;)

I'll disagree. I'd much rather not see a post, i.e. the poster has deleted it when they can, rather than see a post that says "deleted" or something similar. There is no value in a post that just says "deleted" or "nevermind", so why leave it around?

The board software defaults to deleting notifications after 30 days BTW.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:...The board software defaults to deleting notifications after 30 days BTW.

So why do I have to 246 of them?

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:...The board software defaults to deleting notifications after 30 days BTW.

It depends on your Notification settings. Do you bookmark or subscribe to many topics and notifications turned on for them? Do members quote you often?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

It depends on your Notification settings. Do you bookmark or subscribe to many topics and notifications turned on for them? Do members quote you often?

As the famous quote goes regarding Ignorance and Apathy: I don't know and I don't care...

Superorb

Post by Superorb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 pm

There is no way to disable notifications, and even posts that have been deleted will still show the notification. Once it's triggered it will persist.