How to download your own Bogleheads posts

Discussions about the forum and contents
traveltoomuch

How to download your own Bogleheads posts

Post by traveltoomuch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:28 am

For those who wish to download an archive of all of your own Bogleheads posts over the years, here is a tool for doing so:

http://creativeandcritical.net/fups/enter-options?forum_type=phpBB

The 'forum type' is: phpBB
The 'base forum URL' is: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum
Follow the instructions on the form for 'extract user ID' and 'extract user username'.
Leave the 'login user username' and 'password' blank.
Other fields can be left as-is.

This was inspired by a conversation with a moderator about the recently-locked Disappearing Posts thread, in which the moderator told me "...the forum is a place for discussions, not a place for archival storage, and it is the forum members' own responsibility to save anything important for themselves." This is one way to do that. Unfortunately, it does not yet have features for finding posts that were deleted moved to a hidden forum by a moderator.
Last edited by traveltoomuch on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How to download your own Bogleheads posts

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. This software is run on the developer's personal website.

Just be aware that you should never, ever, give your username and password to an external website. Don't trust that the data will be removed. If the software says "yes, I removed it", you have no way to confirm that. You also don't know if your info has been passed to someone else.

traveltoomuch wrote:Unfortunately, it does not yet have features for finding posts that were deleted moved to a hidden forum by a moderator.

I just wanted to mention that nothing will find posts that have been hidden by a moderator. Using cURL to download posts (what the script does) will not change anything here.

=======================
The only suggestion I can offer is to show you a clean way to scrape pages from within phpBB itself. It doesn't solve your problem, but it's a step in the right direction.

The bottom of every thread has a drop-down menu which looks like a wrench. One of the choices is Print view, which adds "&view=print" to the URL.

You'll get a plain text rendering of the page which you can copy-n-paste into a text editor.

Another way is to use the forum's built-in search engine, the "gear" in the upper-right corner of this page.

Search for author: traveltoomuch
Return first: All available <-- will return the entire post, including quotes.

Leave the other settings blank, then "Search". You don't need to login for this to work.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:18 am

Hi travel,

That's pretty neat -- I tried it and it works well. To underline Lady's point, I'd suggest that you edit your original post to make clear that the information you mention contains the only things that need to be filled in, and that personal information is not required.

I did not need to register, give an e-mail address or supply any password information (which I certainly would not have done). I can download the "collected works of Robert T" (for example) if I want.

Sean

celia

Post by celia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 am

I wonder how many hard drives livesoft's posts would fill up. :?:

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:31 am

sean.mcgrath wrote:To underline Lady's point, I'd suggest that you edit your original post to make clear that the information you mention contains the only things that need to be filled in, and that personal information is not required.

I added some color and more specific language. Thanks for the suggestion!