Extremely Short 'Stay Logged In' Time

Discussions about the forum and contents
enki

Extremely Short 'Stay Logged In' Time

Post by enki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I can only stay logged into this site for a very short amount of time. It seems to vary between an hour and, at most, half a day. Is there a reason for this? I can understand if it was a sensitive site (e.g. bank, etc.), but I can't think of any forum or similarly purposed site that has such an aggressive auto-signout policy in place for no real reason. Most forums I'm a member of will keep me logged in for weeks or months at a time. I can't remember the last time I logged into Facebook.

Checking the "remember me" box has no apparent effect.

Anyway, it was something that has been kind of annoying so I figured I would mention it. If I step away from the computer for a short amount of time and then refresh the site, I have to login before I can see updated posts or comment, etc. It would be nice to extend this out a bit and I can't think of a downside, assuming the forum software was capable of it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Extremely Short 'Stay Logged In' Time

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm

You shouldn't be logged out like that. Are you logged in from more than one device?

Did anything change in your cookie settings? You get logged out when the cookies disappear.

Maybe there's something in your brower's profile. What happens if you try this from a different browser?

You could also try this using Firefox or Chrome's private browsing mode, which keeps things separate from your main profile.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

enki

Post by enki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:03 am

Glad to hear that it isn't the standard policy and I'm an apparent outlier ;).

Yes, I log into the site from my home and work computer. Sometimes on my tablet, but that is generally rare since I'll usually just browse/read from there without being logged in.

The problem does occur on both computers with the same apparent frequency. In the most recent case, between making my original post and just now, I got logged out again. I did not login from any other computer in the interim (though I was logged in from my work computer when I left hours earlier). Since the issues occur without any activity from the other computer in between, I don't think it would be related to the other system triggering it.

I've only tried in Chrome, which I use on both systems. I have not tried resetting cookies or anything like that. Just normal usage and this is the only site that I've had anything similar happen on.

I can certainly try logging in from a different browser to see if that is the cause.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I thought this was a computer/browser/cookies handling issue.
Might play with permissions settings for this one website in Firefox.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Same here, because of my browser privacy settings. I don't want any website to leave a cookie that tracks my behavior after I leave that website.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:57 pm

enki wrote:Glad to hear that it isn't the standard policy and I'm an apparent outlier ;).

Yes, I log into the site from my home and work computer. Sometimes on my tablet, but that is generally rare since I'll usually just browse/read from there without being logged in.

The problem does occur on both computers with the same apparent frequency. In the most recent case, between making my original post and just now, I got logged out again. I did not login from any other computer in the interim (though I was logged in from my work computer when I left hours earlier). Since the issues occur without any activity from the other computer in between, I don't think it would be related to the other system triggering it.

I've only tried in Chrome, which I use on both systems. I have not tried resetting cookies or anything like that. Just normal usage and this is the only site that I've had anything similar happen on.

I can certainly try logging in from a different browser to see if that is the cause.

I have the same problem on a new IPad. Logged out after an hour or so.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 am

Are you always navigating from the same landing page (either the forum index or Boglehead's main site) or are you switching between the landing page and bookmarks / Google searches? I seem to recall a similar issue in the past with a user that was switching between http and https due to mixing up the way they were browsing.

If you're doing absolutely nothing else when the cookie is lost, you might be facing a Chrome issue. There's some indications online that Chrome freaks out and deletes session data over trivial issues with the session (such as not being able to load favicon.ico). Switching to Firefox might solve the problem if it's a "Chrome thing".

enki

Post by enki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 am

Mudpuppy wrote:Are you always navigating from the same landing page (either the forum index or Boglehead's main site) or are you switching between the landing page and bookmarks / Google searches? I seem to recall a similar issue in the past with a user that was switching between http and https due to mixing up the way they were browsing.

If you're doing absolutely nothing else when the cookie is lost, you might be facing a Chrome issue. There's some indications online that Chrome freaks out and deletes session data over trivial issues with the session (such as not being able to load favicon.ico). Switching to Firefox might solve the problem if it's a "Chrome thing".

In my case, I am only jumping between the board index page, the individual forum pages and of course the threads within then.

I am not doing any special cookie management (or privacy guard stuff) outside of the Chrome defaults.

I am currently trying it out on IE on my work computer to see if that has any impact. I was logged in yesterday night, but this morning I was logged out again (in IE). I never use IE, so it truly is a default environment with no special plugins, etc. I'll see if I can test again today over the course of a few hours, but even an auto-logout between ~5PM and ~9AM is way too aggressive IMHO for a forum. It should be more like 14-30 days at minimum. In any case, I don't think it's a Chrome issue per se. But even if it was, out of the many, many sites I visit, this is the only one that is having the problem.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am

I've always used the "Remember me" function for the BH forum (and other phpBB forums that I frequent). I visit the BH forum on multiple devices, a desktop computer, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad, using both Chrome and Safari. To the best of my knowledge I've never run into this problem. But I do periodically see reports of it that seem specific to a small subset of users. The challenge is figuring out what's different between the users who don't have a problem and those that do?

What URL are you using to login to the forum? Does it happen on all devices/locations that you use to visit the BH forum?

There are some things you can check at your end. Within your User Control Panel, there is a section to Manage “Remember Me” login keys (link). Can you double-check that page to see that it contains a list of IP addresses and login times that make sense to your habits? Are the IP addresses that it shows IPv4 or IPv6 or a mixture? IPv4 addresses have dots as separators, IPv6 addresses have colons.

If there are no devices/locations where the "Remember Me" function works as expected for you, you might try deleting all the "Remember Me" keys that the board knows about so you get a fresh start. As part of the getting a fresh start, you could also try clicking on the link at the bottom of the page to "Delete all board cookies". We forewarned, doing one or both will cause you to have to login again.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

enki

Post by enki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 am

When logging in, I generally check the "remember me" box, but lately I've stopped since it didn't seem to make a difference. My home connection has IPv6 support (via an HE tunnel), but it doesn't appear that I am using that for BH forum since all my remember me activity, per the link you provided, shows IPv4 addresses. Of the two dozen or so entries in that list, going back to 5/2016, they all come from the same two IPv4 addresses -- my work and home.

98% of the time, I only login from my home or work computer, using Chrome (up until testing IE yesterday and today). On a couple occasions I've logged in via my iPad or iPhone to reply to a comment or make navigating easier (showing new posts since last read, etc.), but most of the time I visit the site on those platforms logged out.

Regarding the URL, I just go to https://www.bogleheads.org/....

I'll wait to see if I get auto-logged out today in the IE instance, but will try the reset option at the end of the day to see if it has any impact. I'll also manually delete any BH related cookies then as a clean slate approach.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am

Apologies in advance...you probably already did this...but have you restarted your machines? Are all of your operating systems and browsers up to date?

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am

One other thing you might try is to manually blow out all your browser history (cookies included) and try from scratch. I recently had a browser issue on another site using Chrome that apparently was being caused by a corrupt cookie. Blowing out all the cookies cleared it up. (Of course you'll have to log in again, but apparently you're already having to do that here...)
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

enki

Post by enki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 am

hudson wrote:Apologies in advance...you probably already did this...but have you restarted your machines? Are all of your operating systems and browsers up to date?

No apology necessary -- definitely a fair question. And yes :). Not specifically for this problem, but I reboot both my home and office machine at least once a week and everything is kept up to date with OS patches, etc. Since the problem has been affecting me since (I believe) I joined the forum, I don't think it would be related. It finally just got so annoying that I decided to speak up about it 8-).

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am

Have you checked your User Control Panel -> Profile -> Manage "Remember Me" screen to make sure that the forum is appropriately storing your session key? If you have the cookie but the forum isn't storing the key, it's like you never even clicked "Remember Me" and it will log you out after about an hour. Here's the direct link to that screen: ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=autologin_keys

And have you cleaned up that list recently? I also recall someone having an issue when that list got too long due to the habit of closing the browser when done instead of selecting Logout. Clearing the list ("Mark all", "Delete marked"), then logging in again seemed to clear up the issue for that user.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm

When I click on my browser's bookmark for BH there is no problem. I use Chrome.

When I click on a link in a notification email saying that a post has been added I sometimes get prompted to log in.

I suspect a Chrome problem because I only recently noticed this behavior and I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome.

I'll try to pay more attention to see if there is any other factor contributing to this.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 pm

bertilak wrote:When I click on my browser's bookmark for BH there is no problem. I use Chrome.

When I click on a link in a notification email saying that a post has been added I sometimes get prompted to log in.

I suspect a Chrome problem because I only recently noticed this behavior and I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome.

I'll try to pay more attention to see if there is any other factor contributing to this.

OK, I ran a little experiment. I changed my default browser to Firefox from Chrome and the problem went away. Once logged in I stay logged in. It was 5 days since my last post. Two days ago I switched back to Chrome and BOOM! I now, two days later after multiple accesses to BH, I get prompted to log in again.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue May 09, 2017 3:47 pm

I have this same problem. Whether I start a new thread or post in an existing thread if I don't return here withing an hour maybe an hour and a half I have to log back in when I get an email notification of a new post in those threads. I only use this pc, I shut it down every night when I go to bed, I use FF and Win 7 and both are up to date re updates. I do not click the remember me box when I log in. ETA I accept cookies and never delete them. No other website is a problem with having to log back in other than this one.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

zaplunken wrote:I do not click the remember me box when I log in.

Try clicking on the "Remember me" box when you log in.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue May 09, 2017 5:12 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
zaplunken wrote:I do not click the remember me box when I log in.

Try clicking on the "Remember me" box when you log in.

Thank you I will.