How do YOU read Bogleheads?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Texanbybirth

How do YOU read Bogleheads?

Post by Texanbybirth »

I've been thinking about this today. My preferred method is to just click on my "Most Visited" in FireFox, which has bogleheads.org. I pretty much skim the topics to see what's of interest, and I can say that about 80% of the time I don't check what forum it's even posted in. (I don't even know what forum this post really belongs in! :confused ) My guess is that's how most people check, or the powers that be would change the homepage.

What about you? How do you check out this fantastic website?
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
a username for Mike

Re: How do YOU read Bogleheads?

Post by a username for Mike »

That's how I typically read, although frequently I search for a topic I'm interested in based on what I read.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I just skim the threads, click on the ones that seem interesting based on the title, and skip the rest.

Congratulations. I clicked on your thread.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Bookmark on viewed bookmark bar in chrome on computers.
Shortcut link on homepage of phone and tablet. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
JPH

Post by JPH »

I click on Bogleheads in my Favorites and scan titles. I also ignore forums.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I go to my bookmark for Bogleheads. I then click on the quick links and start with the link "your posts". If that isn't populated enough I go on to "new posts" and look for something interesting.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Scan threads and topics where I can either gain knowledge or contribute with actionable supportive input, with utmost discretion. :happy
Also scan for: educational topics and astute wit and wisdom. :wink:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Since no one mentioned it yet, with the assumption that you are logged in to the site, Boglehead unread posts view:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

After reading, return to the top and Mark All Read. Revisit forum later.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

I have Bogleheads set as the homepage to my browser, is that overkill? :twisted:
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams
orca91

Post by orca91 »

Apparently I read it by clicking on unactionable threads. :happy
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:I go to my bookmark for Bogleheads. I then click on the quick links and start with the link "your posts". If that isn't populated enough I go on to "new posts" and look for something interesting.
Similar to how I use it. I don't see a link for "new posts" however. They just appear on the main screen when I go to bogleheads.org. I scan and look at interesting titles and click into those where I can learn or offer assistance.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I go to bogleheads.org where the threads from all subforums are shown together sorted on last post.

Then I go from top to bottom and command-click on the threads I want to take a look at. This opens the thread in a new tab, but does not switch to that tab. That way, I can continue on looking at thread titles until I get down to a title that I know I have already looked at.

Then I close that tab with command-w which then leaves me in the next tab which is the first thread I did command-space on. I read/respond/ignore as I see fit, then command-w that tab and I'm onto the next tab.

This above technique means I don't have to click "back" or equivalent in my browser and I'm not wasting time waiting for pages to load.

When I have finished with all the tabs/threads of interest to me which is rather quickly and I have only one-tab/window open, I then check notifications where someone has pm'd me or quoted me. I check on those to clear them out.

Then I am off to other things.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

Come on, livesoft, we all know you read BH with the intent of commenting in as many threads as possible. :wink: :happy
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

orca91 wrote:Come on, livesoft, we all know you read BH with the intent of commenting in as many threads as possible. :wink: :happy
Including this one?? :D :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Folks should count the threads that I haven't commented in.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Forum Issues and Administration.
High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent »

I go to boglehead.org and scan the titles. I think that is a tribute to the site that I''m interested in pretty much every forum subcategory. I don't think there is another forum that I can say that about.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I use the RSS feed. It's probably just me.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I type the single letter "b" into the Safari address bar, and it autocompletes to "bogleheads.org" because I visit it so often. I don't do anything systematic, I'm a fairly fast reader/skimmer and I glance down the list of thread titles for ones that seem interesting or am following. I right-click on them and open them in a separate tab so that the list stays open and positioned and I can go back to it when I'm finished with a thread.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

I have Bogleheads in my favorites, and I start with "New Posts" and just read those of interest, some new (so it all hinges on the title) some I've already participated in. If I start a thread, I'll usually check in whenever I'm online and there's a new post.
You only live once...
digarei

Post by digarei »

I start here:

index.php

Then read the most recent posts, forum by forum, beginning with 'Investing - Theory, News & General'...

Rarely do I have the time to read or respond to anything in 'Personal Consumer Issues'.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

livesoft wrote:Then I go from top to bottom and command-click on the threads I want to take a look at. This opens the thread in a new tab, but does not switch to that tab.
Whoaaa! I've been using Macs for a while and that was new to me. I'm not as computer savvy as I thought! I have bogleheads.org in my favorites that show across the top of Safari for easy access. I also have Amazon up there and it's linked through the bogleheads site so they get something from each purchase.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

I have a stand alone icon for BH. Always check the site when I go through the email folders
graze the the home page clicking on the topics that interest me never pay attention to topic category
holding the [shift] key I click on the selected topic which opens in a new window and simply close it when done to get back to the home page.
being retired, usually skip tthreads that are talking investing issues for those in early (ages 30s, 40s, 50s) accumulation stages
Bogleheads is only forum or social media site I visit other than that of a health group I belong to
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

Texanbybirth wrote:My preferred method is to just click on my "Most Visited" in FireFox, which has bogleheads.org. I pretty much skim the topics to see what's of interest...
Same here.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I type www.diehards.org into my browser (though if I am not using the "in private browsing" usually only "www.die" is needed for it to auto-fill the rest based on history) then scroll through the threads until I get to the last approximate time I visited.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I usually start at "View your posts", because these are threads I have previously commented on, and often want to continue a discussion. I then go forum by forum, clicking on the icon to go to the first unread post in each thread of interest.
Wiki David Grabiner
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I use the forum view because that allows the use of "View first unread post". That's so much better than reading thread from the consolidated view that I'm surprised anyone uses that.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Chuck wrote:I use the RSS feed. It's probably just me.
Same here. Quicker and miss less.
argulator

Post by argulator »

I do a quick scan of bogleheads.org for any topics that interest me, then enter the forums and do a search for posts by Nisiprius.

I'm not ashamed to admit it---I'm a Nisiprius stalker.
Ralph
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

digarei wrote:I start here:

index.php

Then read the most recent posts, forum by forum, beginning with 'Investing - Theory, News & General'...

Rarely do I have the time to read or respond to anything in 'Personal Consumer Issues'.
Hello fellow forum index user.... although I go bottom to top in my perusing.

I'll also use the advanced search feature to look for certain keywords in the initial post on a thread and of course the "Your posts" under Quick Links for threads I've previously contributed in.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Mudpuppy wrote:

index.php

I'll also use the advanced search feature to look for certain keywords in the initial post on a thread and of course the "Your posts" under Quick Links for threads I've previously contributed in.
Hello fellow traveler (sub-forum peruser) !

How and why do you use the search feature? Do you have a list of topics you like to read about... e.g., asset allocation, hedge funds, gardening, BMW 6 series (!)...

digarei
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

digarei wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:

index.php

Hello fellow traveler (sub-forum peruser) !

How and why do you use the search feature? Do you have a list of topics you like to read about... e.g., asset allocation, hedge funds, gardening, BMW 6 series (!)...
I don't have enough time around my work hours and caregiver duties to read all of the investment help request threads, so I filter down to those in governmental plans. The advanced search gives one the granularity to select a specific forum then look for keywords (plan numbers) in the first posts on that forum. Every so often, I even find another CA state employee and can give a little advice on our specific plans.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

My approach has changed as BH has become more popular. I still start at the forum home page and scan the threads for titles of interest. What has changed is that for those seeking portfolio advice, if there have already been a lot of responses I skip the thread. I used to read a lot of threads covering many topics. Now my interests have narrowed.

There are a dozen or so names I look for as well. These tend to be recognized experts on particular topics of interest to me.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:I use the forum view because that allows the use of "View first unread post". That's so much better than reading thread from the consolidated view that I'm surprised anyone uses that.
People use it because you can in fact "view first unread post" from the front page.

You know you're a Boglehead addict when you install custom browser scripts to make your use more efficient :wink:
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I previously posted this here but it's probably worth repeating in this topic to give others some ideas.

The following is my personal usage/navigation flow on the Bogleheads site that I've developed over the years. It generally works whether I'm browsing via a desktop, tablet or smartphone.

FWIW, I consider https://www.bogleheads.org/forum as the "homepage" where I start my regular (daily?) visit to the Bogleheads. I tend to browse/scan by sub-forum as my first viewing of the day. I'm based in Canada, so many of the financial topics don't apply to my circumstances. Within each sub-forum, once I've read the topics of interest I click the "Mark topics read" link (near the top) to bring me up-to-date for that sub-forum.

I've also got bookmarks for two of the Quick links, Unread posts and Active topics which I use during the day to follow any new and updated discussions. From the very few times I've looked at the Bogleheads posts listing (home page), both these bookmarks seem essentially functional equivalent for my purposes. I frequent a number of phpBB based forums so using the phpBB software navigation flow, icons, etc. means that everything is familiar. I know some of the history of the BH post listings page, but I was never a M* reader, so the BH post page is a custom/quirky UI that doesn't have any value to me. Of course YMMV depending on how you've learned to navigate the Bogleheads site.

IMHO, the Unread posts has an added advantage, after I scan it for anything that might interest me, I can click the "Mark all read" link to again bring myself up-to-date.

I've also got a bookmark for Your posts which I use when I haven't visited the site lately. I look for any topics that have unread posts that might continue from posts that made.

Of course this is my navigation/workflow. I'll leave it to each his/her own to find/develop what suits their own needs and style of doing things, so none of these might work for anyone else.

The recent addition of the forum's built-in Atom feeds has added a new dimension that I'm still working to integrate with my use of feedly (RSS reader) and the above.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I use my Nexus 5x smartphone 95% of the time, starting from the New Posts page.
I respond to PMs but never to Notifications, which is why I have 225 of them.
When I'm done for the moment, I leave the New Posts page as is; I never log off...
Attempted new signature...
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

I've gotten into the habit of typing in keywords, and have frequently revived decade old threads as a result. How to Die being the most recent

More recently I've searched BogleHead views on-
Death
Tattoos
Children playing football

and I revisited one of my favorite threads, when a poster was searching for advice about how to keep little vandals out of their community pool (reminded me of the good ole days)

Edit: viewtopic.php?t=195658 Here is the thread.. It is FULL of legitimate responses, and broken up by the 'sharks with laserbeams on their heads' :D :D
Last edited by buccimane on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

TimeRunner wrote:Since no one mentioned it yet, with the assumption that you are logged in to the site, Boglehead unread posts view:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

After reading, return to the top and Mark All Read. Revisit forum later.
Me, too, but never on a smartphone. Chromebook or Mac mini only.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"