[Revised to include the proposed tax plan --LadyGeek]
The proposed tax plan has created much conjecture, which impacts personal finance and investing. (Previously, discussions were about the recent elections.)
Speculation about future legislation is prohibited by forum policy, see Unacceptable Topics:
This forum is focused on investing that is directly actionable to personal investors. We don't hold debates on conjecture.Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
- Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
- Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
- Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
- Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
The whole point of the policy is to (1) eliminate contentious disagreements that result from these discussions and (2) keep investors from making bad decisions. Proposed regulations change many times between the time they're introduced and signed into law.
The disagreements will indeed occur, which is more work for the moderators and results in locking the thread. See: Yellen: "We're taking a look at negative interest rates."
Decisions to keep the thread visible or making it disappear are done on a case-by-case basis. Threads are not deleted, but archived in an area only accessible to the moderators and site admins.
- If anyone disagrees with a moderator action (locking a thread, etc.), PM the moderator and we will decide if a correction is needed. We also have an Advisory Board to help adjudicate the disagreement. Do not post a complaint publicly; that creates a whole 'nother can of worms.
- If we miss something that needs a moderator attention, report the post and we'll take a look. See: REPORTING VIOLATIONS AND UNWELCOME PMs