The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

Post by LadyGeek »

As discussed in RSS feeds by thread, we have enabled the forum's built-in Atom feeds. This forum can now be read with your favorite RSS reader or browser add-on.

There are three feeds available:

1. ImagePost feed - Shows the 10 most recent posts from all topics in all forums.

2. ImageTopics feed - Shows the first post of the 15 most recent topics in all forums.

3. ImageActive topics feed - Shows the 15 last posts, not older than 7 days, from all forums.

If you are using a browser, and are logged in, you can view forums that are visible for your account. Otherwise, you will only be able to view forums as a "guest" (not logged in). We do not support logins from RSS readers.

* The RSS standard is different than atom, but most readers can handle both.

====================
Feeds may also be customized:

* To view a single forum, append "?f=[ForumID]" to the URL.

For example, readers wishing to surf the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum, the URL looks like this:

Code: Select all

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
The feed URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?f=1
Which results in: Investing - Help with Personal Investments (feed)

* To view a single topic, append "f=[ForumID]&t=[TopicID]" to the URL.

For example, readers wishing to view only The Three-Fund Portfolio should click on the topic's title. The URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005
The feed URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?f=10&t=88005
Which results in: The Three-Fund Portfolio (feed)

=====================
Recommended RSS readers:

- Firefox: Sage :: Add-ons for Firefox
- Chrome: Feedbro - Chrome Web Store
- feedly

Thanks to Peculiar_Investor for behind-the-scenes collaboration. Our sister Canadian site had feeds enabled for a while: New feature - Feeds - Financial Wisdom Forum
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

Post by LadyGeek »

I should add that the wiki has an atom feed, which is only visible under Recent changes.

The link is in the left-side menu under "Tools" as Atom. It will show when the wiki has been edited, but the content is only useful for editors.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

LadyGeek wrote:As discussed in RSS feeds by thread, we have enabled the forum's built-in Atom feeds. This forum can now be read with your favorite RSS reader or browser add-on.

There are three feeds available:

1. ImagePost feed - Shows the 10 most recent posts from all topics in all forums.

2. ImageTopics feed - Shows the first post of the 15 most recent topics in all forums.

3. ImageActive topics feed - Shows the 15 last posts, not older than 7 days, from all forums.

If you are using a browser, and are logged in, you can view forums that are visible for your account. Otherwise, you will only be able to view forums as a "guest" (not logged in). We do not support logins from RSS readers.

* The RSS standard is different than atom, but most readers can handle both.

====================
Feeds may also be customized:

* To view a single forum, append "?f=[ForumID]" to the URL.

For example, readers wishing to surf the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum, the URL looks like this:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
The feed URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?f=1
Which results in: Investing - Help with Personal Investments (feed)

* To view a single topic, append "f=[ForumID]&t=[TopicID]" to the URL.

For example, readers wishing to view only The Three-Fund Portfolio should click on the topic's title. The URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005
The feed URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?f=10&t=88005
Which results in: The Three-Fund Portfolio (feed)

=====================
Recommended RSS readers:

- Firefox: Sage :: Add-ons for Firefox
- Chrome: Feedbro - Chrome Web Store
- feedly

Thanks to Peculiar_Investor for behind-the-scenes collaboration. Our sister Canadian site had feeds enabled for a while: New feature - Feeds - Financial Wisdom Forum
Does this work with Feedly and if so, how? Thanks
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

From the other thread: Subject: RSS feeds by thread
airahcaz wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Feedly is used by members of our Canadian sister site: New feature - Feeds - Financial Wisdom Forum, so I know it will work here. I just can't help you myself, as I don't have feedly.
Have tried with Feedly and it merely brings in every post, as it had in the past - which is why I asked.
I PM'd someone who can help.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

It works very well in Feedly. Just plug the links that LadyGeek provided into Feedly and them to your feeds.

I've been using the Financial Wisdom Forum (FWF) feeds in Feedly since they were introduced without any issues. I've noticed that Feedly collects the new feed information about every 20 minutes or so for FWF. From feedly. feed your mind.
Feedly Fetcher is how Feedly grabs RSS or Atom feeds when users choose to add them to their Feedly ... Fetcher shouldn't retrieve feeds from most sites more than once every hour on average. Some frequently updated sites may be refreshed more often. Note, however, that due to network delays, it's possible that Fetcher may briefly appear to retrieve your feeds more frequently.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I'm curious to see how useful participants find this feature. While I think feeds are a great way to follow blogs, I'm not convinced it is the best way to follow a forum.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Perhaps, but enabling the built-in feeds has minimal impact on server performance. It doesn't hurt to turn them on, and it helps members (and lurkers!) to keep track of things.

==========
I should have done this earlier, but the RSS feed link on the home page has been changed to point to the forum's default atom feed.

The URL is:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php
If anyone is detecting a "true" RSS feed on the home page, please post here.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

White Coat Investor wrote:I'm curious to see how useful participants find this feature. While I think feeds are a great way to follow blogs, I'm not convinced it is the best way to follow a forum.
What other way is there to follow a forum, outside of visiting periodically and scouring every separate forum to see what you've missed? With RSS feeds you can see new topics or posts and click through as you wish.

For me, I've tried hard over the years to minimize the places I go for info, mostly as a time-saver. Now it's basically Gmail, Twitter, and Feedly (rarely Facebook though I know that's popular for many). Those are my jumping-off points for the hundreds of sites I'll visit over the course of a week. If a site doesn't work with those I probably won't visit much.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Trice wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:I'm curious to see how useful participants find this feature. While I think feeds are a great way to follow blogs, I'm not convinced it is the best way to follow a forum.
What other way is there to follow a forum, outside of visiting periodically and scouring every separate forum to see what you've missed? With RSS feeds you can see new topics or posts and click through as you wish.

For me, I've tried hard over the years to minimize the places I go for info, mostly as a time-saver. Now it's basically Gmail, Twitter, and Feedly (rarely Facebook though I know that's popular for many). Those are my jumping-off points for the hundreds of sites I'll visit over the course of a week. If a site doesn't work with those I probably won't visit much.
Trice you've managed to choose one of two of the three feeds, or even all three, on Feedly?

Feedly shows me every single post which is why I had originally stopped following BH via Feedly.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Trice wrote:

I think a nice notification system into your email box would probably be a better choice than a feed. Some of the forums I'm on send you an email when threads you've visited are updated. I'm trying to implement a feature on mine that basically sends you a notice every day, week, or month (your choice) with the list of thread titles started in the last day/week/month.

The Bogleheads forum is so active though, it's basically impossible to read everything. I can't think of any better way than just to peruse the titles on the site itself.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

airahcaz wrote:
Trice wrote:

Trice you've managed to choose one of two of the three feeds, or even all three, on Feedly?

Feedly shows me every single post which is why I had originally stopped following BH via Feedly.
I had also originally tried to follow BH via Feedly (actually I probably tried back when Google Reader was still a thing) and the feed that includes every single post was just too much. I also tried to create something myself via Yahoo Pipes (also now defunct), to no avail.

So far I haven't had much time to play with these new feeds other than plugging on or two of them into Feedly. I will keep an eye on them and report back.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

White Coat Investor wrote:
Trice wrote:

I think a nice notification system into your email box would probably be a better choice than a feed. Some of the forums I'm on send you an email when threads you've visited are updated. I'm trying to implement a feature on mine that basically sends you a notice every day, week, or month (your choice) with the list of thread titles started in the last day/week/month.

The Bogleheads forum is so active though, it's basically impossible to read everything. I can't think of any better way than just to peruse the titles on the site itself.
I agree with your point on the notification system, but that only works for threads you've visited and wish to follow. For me, RSS is the first step - I can see each new thread then decide whether or not to comment and/or follow and/or get future notifications.

I enjoy your blog, btw. I'm not a white coat myself but there's lots of good content there. Maybe one of these days I'll comment on something!
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Trice wrote:
airahcaz wrote:
Trice wrote:

I had also originally tried to follow BH via Feedly (actually I probably tried back when Google Reader was still a thing) and the feed that includes every single post was just too much. I also tried to create something myself via Yahoo Pipes (also now defunct), to no avail.

So far I haven't had much time to play with these new feeds other than plugging on or two of them into Feedly. I will keep an eye on them and report back.
Yup, would be great if someone can outline how to get Feedly to not show every single BH post.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Trice wrote: What other way is there to follow a forum, outside of visiting periodically and scouring every separate forum to see what you've missed?
If you are logged into bogleheads, try:
search.php?search_id=unreadposts

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

vtMaps wrote:
Trice wrote: What other way is there to follow a forum, outside of visiting periodically and scouring every separate forum to see what you've missed?

--vtMaps
I apologize, I wasn't clear in that earlier post. Yes, there was an RSS feed available but it was every single unread post. It's been awhile since I subscribed to that but I recall hundreds of items in my feed each day - way too many to go through. I and others asked if there were other feed options that could be added to reduce the flow of the firehose and graciously they were able to do it.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

airahcaz wrote:Yup, would be great if someone can outline how to get Feedly to not show every single BH post.
airachcaz, if I'm understanding this correctly, I think feed #2 (topics feed - shows the first posts of the 15 most recent topics in all forums) is probably what you're looking for. I'm guessing this will be the most useful one for me, because then I can see each new topic once but should not see each individual follow-up post within those topics. If I'm interested, I can click through and subscribe to the topic through BH, from which I can get notifications of future activity via email.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that feed #1 (post feed - shows the 10 most recent posts from all topics in all forums) and feed #3 (active topics feed - shows the 15 last posts, not older than 7 days, from all forums) will be the same in practical terms since they both appear to be returning every new post from all forums.

I have plugged all 3 of the feeds from LadyGeek's original post, as well as a feed dedicated to only one forum, into my Feedly and will watch them in days to come.

Again, thanks to LadyGeek et al for making this possible.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Yay! Good job LadyGeek. I work on cross-forum data extraction solutions, and one the major frustrations with phpBB communities is that, unlike vBulletin, the phpBB external data provider functionality is turned off by default. You can always duct-tape a solution together, but it's so much easier when the forum is exposing its own feed.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Trice wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Yup, would be great if someone can outline how to get Feedly to not show every single BH post.
airachcaz, if I'm understanding this correctly, I think feed #2 (topics feed - shows the first posts of the 15 most recent topics in all forums) is probably what you're looking for. I'm guessing this will be the most useful one for me, because then I can see each new topic once but should not see each individual follow-up post within those topics. If I'm interested, I can click through and subscribe to the topic through BH, from which I can get notifications of future activity via email.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that feed #1 (post feed - shows the 10 most recent posts from all topics in all forums) and feed #3 (active topics feed - shows the 15 last posts, not older than 7 days, from all forums) will be the same in practical terms since they both appear to be returning every new post from all forums.

I have plugged all 3 of the feeds from LadyGeek's original post, as well as a feed dedicated to only one forum, into my Feedly and will watch them in days to come.

Again, thanks to LadyGeek et al for making this possible.
Will wait for your tests :)
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

airahcaz - Do you have the Firefox browser? It supports the feeds directly as part of its "Live bookmarks" feature. If you want to get a sense of what the feed should look like, just click on the feed links and view them in Firefox.

This doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to at least show you what to expect.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

LadyGeek wrote:airahcaz - Do you have the Firefox browser? It supports the feeds directly as part of its "Live bookmarks" feature. If you want to get a sense of what the feed should look like, just click on the feed links and view them in Firefox.

This doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to at least show you what to expect.
Thanks but I only us the Feedly app on my iPhone for all feeds.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

vtMaps wrote:

--vtMaps
^^^ The link in human readable format: Unread posts

When logged in: New posts <-- like the home page, but limited to 50 posts / page.

When not logged in: Unanswered posts <--- The purpose of this forum is to help new investors. Experienced investors are encouraged to check for unanswered posts to help our newer members along. This is also seen on the home page as posts with no replies.

If anyone has created a custom feed URL they'd like share here, feel free. Surround the URL with the "Code" tag so it can be easily copy-n-pasted (as I've done in the first post).
pondering

Post by pondering »

Thank you
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Who decides how often a feed is updated? Is it the site or the RSS reader?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Your reader determines when to poll the site.
sfchris

Post by sfchris »

This is great! I am a holdout who still monitors most of my forums via RSS. Glad I can do it for BH.

One suggestion: Could you eliminate the subforum name from the topic titles? It makes it hard to scan through the topic list because they are so similar and so long.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/mYaE93o.jpg
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, removing the title is not an option with the "built-in" software. However, I do agree it is somewhat annoying.

phpBB is a collaborative community, I'll look into it.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

So I wanted to follow up after earlier this week I said I would track a few of these RSS feeds over a few days. My experiment didn't go so great ha ha, I quickly found myself ignoring the RSS feeds that returned too many results.

But here's what I can tell you. All along I've wanted a feed that returns the first post of each new topic - one time, and never again. Now that it's been added, it works great. I haven't counted but I would estimate it returns 60-80 results per day - which for me is enough to scan and engage with without being overwhelming.

Other feeds that return every single post or posts from active topics return significantly more results - perhaps a couple hundred or more per day - and obviously multiple posts from the same topic. Obviously this number is smaller if you're only tracking one forum rather than the entire board, but you get the idea. If you're very engaged with the board, that might be the solution for you.

Regardless, we now have more choices, and for that I am thankful.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Trice wrote:
But here's what I can tell you. All along I've wanted a feed that returns the first post of each new topic - one time, and never again. Now that it's been added, it works great. I haven't counted but I would estimate it returns 60-80 results per day - which for me is enough to scan and engage with without being overwhelming.
So 60-80 is still a bit much, but what were the exact steps to get it to just the first new post of a new thread?
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

airahcaz wrote:
Trice wrote:
So 60-80 is still a bit much, but what were the exact steps to get it to just the first new post of a new thread?
I know you said you only use Feedly on your phone but I find it too cumbersome to add specific feeds via phone. But I just tested this (on an Android, I assume Feedly on iPhone is comparable) and it worked.

Get into Feedly. Go to "Discover and Follow." Enter this URL into the box: "feed.php?mode=topics"

I'm not exactly sure what you will see then...I assume you'll see an option about adding it to your feeds, what folder you want it in, etc. For me, I already subscribe to that feed, so Feedly recognizes that and sends me to the feed's latest results.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Any Linux users on this thread ? Trying to use Conky to
display the feeds on the desktop screen.

${rss https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?type=atom 5 item_titles 10 }
The above line tells conky to display ...feed.php as type atom every 5 minutes
for 10 item titles. Well so far just a blank screen. Any ideas ? Thanks.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

patrick013 wrote:Any Linux users on this thread ?...
All you need is one - the site admin who enabled the RSS feed. That would be me. :D

I've got Conky running on my desktop to monitor CPU Core temp and resources. You can use Conky for RSS feeds???

I tried your code, but also get a blank screen. Remember this is an atom feed, not RSS. A quick google search shows you need to build a script.

Your URL isn't correct, as the parameter "?type=atom" will be ignored. Check the parameters in my first post.

I don't have much experience with python right now (it's on my list...), as the few things I tried didn't work. If anyone can get something working, post the code here.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

LadyGeek wrote:If anyone can get something working, post the code here.

${rss 'https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php?type=atom;limit=10; 5 item_titles 10' }
The rss command is a conky command so the script may be optional. type=atom just
tells conky it's an atom I think. My thought is your server has to be "curl" and "php"
enabled which it almost has to be. So, my computer is missing a needed curl or php
program as it is a rather small operating system. There are dozens of php programs so
it will take awhile to satisfy my curiousity as I don't want to install megabytes of programs
when I'd only need a few K's. I'll ask on the Debian forum eventually. I have had conky
display feeds like this before. It was OK.

Thanks for the response. :)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

As with anything Linux command-line based, my first thought is "what does your config file look like?"
patrick013 wrote:The rss command is a conky command so the script may be optional. type=atom just
tells conky it's an atom I think.
The addition of "?type=atom;limit=10;" to the URL is a command to the Boglehead webserver, not a command to Conky. From the Conky man page, here are the options to rss:

rss uri interval_in_minutes action (num_par (spaces_in_front))
Download and parse RSS feeds. The interval may be a floating point value greater than 0, otherwise defaults to 15 minutes. Action may be one of the following: feed_title, item_title (with num par), item_desc (with num par) and item_titles (when using this action and spaces_in_front is given conky places that many spaces in front of each item). This object is threaded, and once a thread is created it can't be explicitly destroyed. One thread will run for each URI specified. You can use any protocol that Curl supports.
From a quick Google search, Conky does not reliably support atom feeds. Several people have made custom Python parsers to work around the issue.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Mudpuppy wrote:From a quick Google search, Conky does not reliably support atom feeds. Several people have made custom Python parsers to work around the issue.
I found some old scripts on my HD where the atom feed appears but
they need alot of SED or Awk revising to get rid of the extra characters.
Lot's of time for me to do that. They may work in Conky. If we only
had a RSS2 feed I have one script in particular that gets the feed and
folds it, etc..

Thanks for the response.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's what I was alluding to with "I tried a few things..." A python script should do the job. There are a number of Conky scripts for Gmail's atom feed and I did see a few using SED and awk.

Regarding the forum's feeds, the developers have planted a firm stance to remain with atom.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

patrick013 wrote:Any Linux users on this thread ?
Yes, but exclusively for the servers that run my home network.
Trying to use Conky to display the feeds on the desktop screen.
What distro and desktop are you using?

Google turned up Goodbye Google Reader, Linux Has Its Own RSS Aggregators | Linux.com | The source for Linux information which lists some other RSS aggregators, but doesn't specifically mention if they support Atom feeds.

Another resource with lots of information that might help make a choice, Comparison of feed aggregators - Wikipedia
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Here's a Linux conky and what it looks like in it's own windows.
The conky config file and a bash script is included below.

It could use 15 feeds per refresh even on my small screen ? :)

https://mega.nz/#!KtFy0AQQ

Decryption key - also req'd :

!DTex633J_A9YLVjRgsuXn4aqwNHlMddWYDDnFNOK4jg
Last edited by patrick013 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It works! :beer

There's one minor problem with the character set, but it's on my end. The leading "bullet" "•" is displayed as a corrupted character inside my conky window, but is OK on the command line.

My conky window fails to display when I use your config file, but it's OK when I add (just) the exec command inside my own. I tried using your font, but it didn't help.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

LadyGeek wrote:It works! :beer

There's one minor problem with the character set,
I think you have to use xft for that in the config file. Use Bogle-RSS
for the config and it should appear correctly. Mine does and it's very
small config-wise. The text-buffer and a few other adjustments are in
the Bogle-RSS config file.

$conky -c (path to)Bogle-RSS - which also uses $HOME/.conky

:beer

edit : for the window inside of Bogle-RSS need this -

own_window yes
own_window_type conky
own_window_title Boglehead RSS

otherwise it appears on the desktop screen, I don't have wallpaper
so I have it on the screen only. Need to config for wallpaper I think.

own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_title Boglehead RSS
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated, below, sticky, skip_taskbar, skip_pager
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I already have xft in the config file. Knowing very well that phpBB enforces the UTF-8 character set :wink:, I debugged my config file.

I had "override_utf8_locale no" as the last line in the configuration area (top of file). The file is interpreted, so it made sense that xft should have the UTF-8 locale setting in place before it's used. I enabled the UTF-8 locale and placed it before xft. That did the trick.

override_utf8_locale yes
    use_xft yes
    xftfont HandelGotD:size=9
    xftalpha 0.5
I'm now watching a clean forum feed update just below my CPU core temperatures. :)
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

LadyGeek wrote: I'm now watching a clean forum feed update just below my CPU core temperatures. :)
http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ ... 184025.png

In the bash script you can change the last number in the fold command from
100 to 50, or even something else, to fit your conky window size.

text_buffer_size 2048 also works much better.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I tried setting up feedly on an iPhone and I'm not logged in when I follow the links.

Is there a way to configure feedly to do this?

Is there another RSS reader for ios that will log me in when I follow a link?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The feeds are configured to not permit logins.
pondering

Post by pondering »

If you are using mobile on a regular basis you will immediately understand how frustrating that is.

I actually use mobile when I am connected to 3 monitors at work because I'm not supposed to use my employers equipment to make posts.

Is there any way I can encourage better usability for your mobile users?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

I'm regularly browsing the forum on a mobile device. I'd suggest that it's not really a feed issue. When you login to the forum on your mobile device, click the "Remember me" box and you'll stayed logged in on the mobile device. Then if you click on a Bogleheads feed item that takes you to the forum you are already logged in.

The Bogleheads feeds are just syndicated lists of topics and posts that RSS aggregators such as Feedly collect and manage on behalf of all the readers of that feed, they are not specific to you. To the best of my knowledge Feedly just manages the information about what's new and what you've already read in your feeds. When you click on a link in a feed, it just passes you along to the website. Thus the above suggestion to use the "Remember me" checkbox.

Hope that helps as it's the way I've been doing it here and on other phpBB forums that provide feeds that I read via Feedly on my i<devices>.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Are you using iOS or Android?

They handle 3rd party apps differently. I should have said that in my post. My apologies.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

I'm using iOS on my i<devices>. From my experience, when I switch between Feedly on iOS and on a desktop, it seamlessly manages my feeds and what I've got still unread and saved between devices.

When I click a BH link on Feedly in iOS, it takes me to the forum (in Safari) and since I've got "Remember me" checked, I'm logged into the forum and can post a reply or any other action that requires me to be logged in.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

patrick013 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:02 pm Here's a Linux conky and what it looks like in it's own windows.
The conky config file and a bash script is included below.

It could use 15 feeds per refresh even on my small screen ? :)

https://mega.nz/#!KtFy0AQQ

Decryption key - also req'd :

!DTex633J_A9YLVjRgsuXn4aqwNHlMddWYDDnFNOK4jg
The phpBB upgrade to version 3.2.1 has broken the conky script. Debug in process, but I could use a little help.

Update: python's feedparser appears to work.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Got it. This works in python 2.7:

#!/usr/bin/python

# Extracts phpBB 3.2 atom feed
# Feed title contains subforum name + post title
# Removes subforum name, only post title is displayed

import feedparser
import HTMLParser

h = HTMLParser.HTMLParser()
url = 'https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/feed.php'

d = feedparser.parse(url)

for post in d.entries:			# print all posts
	PostTitle = post.title
	ParseString = h.unescape(' &bull; ') # separates subforum and post titles
	print h.unescape(PostTitle[PostTitle.index(ParseString) + len(ParseString):]) #text after parse string
In .conkyrc, change the exec command to:

${exec python $HOME/.conky/phpBB_atom_feed.py}
Helpful links:
- python - Get a string after a specific substring - Stack Overflow
- A simple Python feedparser script
- Decoding HTML Entities to Text in Python
- Common Atom Elements — feedparser 5.2.0 documentation - general reference
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Hi,

Mine is working fine. Was wondering how the new RSS would work.
Add a print command to a new line (the last line) of the new .py script
and it will skip a line between each line printout. Just type in print
and save.

http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ ... 154209.png

You could add some more feeds to the RSS batch, wouldn't hurt. 2 to 5 more feeds
perhaps.

edit: I'll .tar a couple files for you later. One for the conky window and
another for a direct screen write as shown above and link them.
Otherwise it looks 100%