Discussions about the forum and contents
sport

Bogleheads is back!!!

Post by sport » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Glad to have Bogleheads again!

bligh

Re: Bogleheads is back!!!

Post by bligh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

I didn't even realize how much time I spend reading posts on here until the site went down. :oops:

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

+1 I'm coming out of withdrawal now.
People often hate what they fear

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:00 pm

And I thought I was quick. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Yes, but the clock is set one hour early. Picky picky.
Edit: nevermind. my profile setting was responsible. funny i never noticed that before.
Last edited by nominalBob on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minot

We're baaack!

Post by Minot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Looks like we're back online at last!! Let's see if I can be 1st to post.

[Nope, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Will be looking forward to seeing how people's views on smallcap value stocks have changed during the outage. :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:02 pm

To be very clear on what happened, this was a widespread network outage that is 100% blamed on Comcast - the ISP feeding the server. There was nothing anyone could do until service was restored.

The server is fine.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:05 pm

yay! Good news!
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

Minot

Post by Minot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm

For those of us who (finally, in my case) figured out to check Morningstar's Bogleheads Unite! forum, a big thank you to Taylor, Mel, and Lady Geek for keeping us updated.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Is there a more reliable ISP available?

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Woo hoo ... We are back

pingo

Post by pingo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm

It happened right before I was about to post a response in another thread. You'd think I could just sit back and check once per day, but noooooooo. I probably tried to load the site 30 times since Friday.

I was worried you guys were busy fighting off wolves and guerillas with machetes...cybernetically speaking, of course.

It's nice to finally be able to relax and take Bogleheads for granted, again. :D

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:10 pm

sport wrote:Is there a more reliable ISP available?
This is the first time I've EVER noticed that the forums were down. I don't think any changes are required.

Recency bias? On my bogleheads? 8-)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:13 pm

I merged Minot's thread into here.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:14 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
This is the first time I've EVER noticed that the forums were down. I don't think any changes are required.

Recency bias? On my bogleheads? 8-)
There have been occasional outages before. That is not really a big deal. However, when it takes more than 48 hours to fix an outage, I would think that could be considered to be unacceptable.

More Please

Post by More Please » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Phew!! I missed you guys.

Wayson

Post by Wayson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:22 pm

I never realized how often I checked this forum until it went down for two days. :shock: Glad it's back!

evestor

Post by evestor » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:To be very clear on what happened, this was a widespread network outage that is 100% blamed on Comcast - the ISP feeding the server. There was nothing anyone could do until service was restored.

The server is fine.
If it is helpful, feel free to call on other nerds on the forum to help ya keep this alive and well. We are happy to help.

mingstar
Founder

Post by mingstar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:To be very clear on what happened, this was a widespread network outage that is 100% blamed on Comcast - the ISP feeding the server. There was nothing anyone could do until service was restored.

The server is fine.
LadyGeek is correct - Comcast reported failure of a "node" (whatever that means) on Friday and it took them until this afternoon to fix it.

I even tried moving the server to another, temporary, location but it turned out that they were also in Comcast territory and were seeing 46% packet loss.

The icing on the cake is that when Comcast restored our service, they also CHANGED OUR STATIC IP ADDRESS BLOCK. That made for an interesting hour or so with the tech saying "service is fine" and my saying "service is down." We were both correct. When I began quoting IP addresses, the tech said "those are not the numbers I'm seeing on your account."

Oh well, it will make for a good campfire story.

Larry

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Minot wrote:For those of us who (finally, in my case) figured out to check Morningstar's Bogleheads Unite! forum, a big thank you to Taylor, Mel, and Lady Geek for keeping us updated.
I (or should I say, Google) did discover that forum/thread yesterday as I was looking for information.

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... ageIndex=2

Didn't know that there was still a Bogleheads presence on Morningstar. What's the purpose of that forum (outside of providing outage updates)?

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:35 pm

May I suggest the forum use a stickied "The forum is back!" topic to announce restorations... so everyone who subscribes will get the automated "new reply received" email.

In this way, when we boot-up and check our emails, we'll know when the forum is back... instead of....
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/
Now? Nope.
Now?

Here's to the end of withdrawals.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

No, nothing's missing! Try "3 days!"

Post by nisiprius » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:47 pm

No, the forum isn't missing all the old threads!

The default landing page shows the new posts in the last day. But the forum was down for over a day, so the default view shows only posts made since the forum came back up. To check up on the threads you were following before the forum went down, try clicking on the "Days: 1 2 3" digit, which is a link that shows you the last three days' worth of postings.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:48 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Minot wrote:For those of us who (finally, in my case) figured out to check Morningstar's Bogleheads Unite! forum, a big thank you to Taylor, Mel, and Lady Geek for keeping us updated.
I (or should I say, Google) did discover that forum/thread yesterday as I was looking for information.

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... ageIndex=2

Didn't know that there was still a Bogleheads presence on Morningstar. What's the purpose of that forum (outside of providing outage updates)?
There are several reasons why Taylor and I still post on M*:
1. Our first book sent posters there for help since we wrote that book back in 2005 before this forum existed. We feel an obligation to respond to our readers who post questions for us there.
2. To get Taylor to join us here on the new Bogleheads.org forum, I agreed to continue to post on both forums with him. That's where we were "born" and we felt a sense of obligation to Joe Mansueto, the CEO of M*, who was very good to the Bogleheads.
3. In situations like this outage, we're able to keep Bogleheads informed about what's going on with this forum by posting updates on the M* forum.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:49 pm

i live in marietta, but i didn't have anything to do with the outage!

Compound

Post by Compound » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Thank you to the admins for working through the problem. Nice to have the site back.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks to those who brought the system back up!

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Mazel tov!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:07 pm

How many people panicked and transferred all of their vanguard holdings into gold, a single stock, or an annuity with a giant commission?

:twisted:

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:16 pm

The server is fine.
I don't even have Comcast anymore, and they still manage to screw me.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:18 pm

+1 I was checking there for updates.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Also, http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ :!:
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

spin_echo

Post by spin_echo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:29 pm

Also checked many times over the past two days. Didn't know about the Morningstar forum. Happy to see things back to normal!

Alan S.

Forum DOWN for a few days?

Post by Alan S. » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:34 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

The forum has been off line for around 3 days and just came back. Was there any warning about required maintenance posted or other explanation?

xenial

Re: Forum DOWN for a few days?

Post by xenial » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:40 pm

The server's ISP (Comcast) had an outage.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Why is the site reliant on a single ISP? I would think a site as busy as this one would be located at a facility with multiple network providers. An outage at Comcast may explain the reason the site was offline, but the site being offline is not Comcast's "fault", as such situations should be expected. The "fault" for recent outages continues to be in the lack of redundancy. I assume this is a monetary issue.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Forum DOWN for a few days?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Alan S. wrote:The forum has been off line for around 3 days and just came back. Was there any warning about required maintenance posted or other explanation?
Alan:

The Boglehead forum server is located in Miami, Florida. Yesterday, LadyGeek reported on the Morningstar Boglehead Forum:
To the software crowd, which will help explain what's going on:

traceroute - Ethernet packets enroute to the server are stopped by Comcast in Marietta GA. There's no path to Florida after that point.
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

CJC000

Post by CJC000 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:50 pm

I was sure the Russians did it. They seem to get the blame for all the cyber attacks these days...

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:57 pm

dratkinson wrote:May I suggest the forum use a stickied "The forum is back!" topic to announce restorations... so everyone who subscribes will get the automated "new reply received" email.
This sounds like a good idea for any outage lasting over a number of hours. Admins? :?:
Bob

gks

Post by gks » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Glad the site is back online. To put a positive spin on things, at least it happened on a weekend when it would have been problematic to switch to gold, futures, options, alternative investments, collectibles,....

Greg

rob

Post by rob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:07 pm

It might be an idea to post something on the facebook page next time - I checked for info there.... I didn't think to check M* but I knew it was down and not just for me.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:09 pm

rob wrote:It might be an idea to post something on the facebook page next time - I checked for info there.... I didn't think to check M* but I knew it was down and not just for me.
I provided info to the folks who take care of the Facebook page. I'm pretty sure they posted something there.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
rob wrote:It might be an idea to post something on the facebook page next time - I checked for info there.... I didn't think to check M* but I knew it was down and not just for me.
I provided info to the folks who take care of the Facebook page. I'm pretty sure they posted something there.
Yep, just checked and they posted the following message from me:
Bogleheads.org
23 hrs ·
Hi Bogleheads, A few people have written in to us asking about the bogleheads.org site. Mel Lindauer was kind enough to provide us with this explanation: "The server is fine but the problem is with Comcast. There's damage to their internet system in GA as a result of Hurricane Matthew and the server is in Florida, so we have no service below GA."

rob

Post by rob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Yeah I see it was posted @23 hours ago.... I guess I was looking earlier Sat or Fri night...... No biggie.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Nice to have our community back online!

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for getting the site back up.

Is there an outage log anywhere?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

frugal-dave

Post by frugal-dave » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Thnaks!!!!!!!! :D
David

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:59 pm

mingstar wrote:LadyGeek is correct - Comcast reported failure of a "node" (whatever that means) on Friday and it took them until this afternoon to fix it.

I even tried moving the server to another, temporary, location but it turned out that they were also in Comcast territory and were seeing 46% packet loss.

The icing on the cake is that when Comcast restored our service, they also CHANGED OUR STATIC IP ADDRESS BLOCK. That made for an interesting hour or so with the tech saying "service is fine" and my saying "service is down." We were both correct. When I began quoting IP addresses, the tech said "those are not the numbers I'm seeing on your account."

Larry
Larry - above and beyond - such a cliché but we mean every word! :happy You probably saved several thousand Bogleheads and visitors from severe panic and depression 8-)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I merged Alan S.' thread into here. Here's a recap:

What happened: The site unexpectedly went offline Friday afternoon, returning Sunday afternoon.

Why: Comcast had a major network outage which blocked connections to the site. Nothing was getting beyond Comcast's connection in Marietta GA. The server itself was doing just fine.

mingstar was on this immediately, but there was nothing he could do except work this with Comcast.

Since there was no way to communicate status to anyone, Mel and myself were posting updates on Morningstar.com and our sister Canadian site Financial Wisdom Forum.*

mingstar's explanation from above:
mingstar wrote:

The server is fine.
LadyGeek is correct - Comcast reported failure of a "node" (whatever that means) on Friday and it took them until this afternoon to fix it.

Larry
* Update: Posting on Financial Wisdom Forum was coordinated with Peculiar_Investor, thanks.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Yes, there's FiOS...
Attempted new signature...