Improving the Bogleheads forum

Discussions about the forum and contents
TimeRunner

Re: Improving the Bogleheads forum

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm

I was going to suggest a poster use the Asking Portfolio Questions format for their question, but I had a heck of a time FINDING the link...trying Google, and search of the website. It's not called out prominently in the Wiki, etc. This link: viewtopic.php?t=6212

...really should be called out in multiple places for easy search and access.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” - George Orwell, 1984

bluedotinaredsquare

Post by bluedotinaredsquare » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 am

beardsworth wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm
I'd like the ability to discuss the personal finance implications of really enormous "macro" trends like global warming. Not the science of it, not the politics of it. Those subjects are currently banned from discussion here and, I believe, should remain so, because they inevitably lead to disputatious discussions.

But the overwhelming majority of threads on this forum seem to assume that the economy, and our use of fossil fuels, and "growth" in general, are going to continue pretty much as we've always known them--the ultimate example of believing that "past performance predicts future performance"--and I don't believe that's the case, and yet we're barred here from discussing what it might suggest for decision-making at a personal financial level.

There must be other participants here with a similar frame of reference, and I often yearn to have a discussion with this knowledgeable group of people along the lines of What, if anything are you trying to do to prepare for a future "climate," however, you may see it, which is very different, both environmentally and economically from the one we have now? This, I think is a legitimate area of discussion in the arrangement of one's personal finances, so I wish it was allowed--but, to return to where I began, I would have no problem at all with continuing moderator removal of "cat fight" posts and trolling about the politics and science of global warming. It's only the money and investment implications that I'd like to be able to discuss here.
I could not agree more. I would really enjoy and appreciate more posts on this topic. I do greatly appreciate the folks who contribute their time and experience. Great forum.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm
I was going to suggest a poster use the Asking Portfolio Questions format for their question, but I had a heck of a time FINDING the link...trying Google, and search of the website. It's not called out prominently in the Wiki, etc. This link: viewtopic.php?t=6212

If you go to the Forum Index page, it's a sticky note at the top:

viewforum.php?f=1
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 am
TimeRunner wrote:

viewforum.php?f=1
This may sound unbelievable but I can't even figure out how to find the Forum Index Page without your link and I've been here for over 2.5 years. I don't land there when I browse to bogleheads.org. I'm sure its easy to do but at least for me its not intuitive.

Cheers

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am

Administrators:

My suggestion is to make it easier for new investors to post on the Bogleheads Forum.

If you go to www.bogleheads.org, there are no instructions on how to post. The only weak clue is a link: "view subform list."

I suggest adding: "To post and view subform list."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:

viewforum.php?f=1
This may sound unbelievable but I can't even figure out how to find the Forum Index Page without your link and I've been here for over 2.5 years. I don't land there when I browse to bogleheads.org. I'm sure its easy to do but at least for me its not intuitive.

Cheers
Exactly. It needs to be up-front in the places that people would naturally look, like a FAQ, a Wiki Subject, in the Quick Links list, etc. :idea:
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” - George Orwell, 1984

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Er, click on "Board Index" from any page on this forum, and you have the top-level index. From there, it is very visible that there is a section of the forum described as "Investing - Help with Personal Investments". And then you find the sticky post. Seems fairly intuitive.

Or... from the home page, click on "Forum home" and you find the same index page.

Maybe the terminology could be made more consistent though ("forum home" and "board index" mean the same thing).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:

viewforum.php?f=1
It's also in the wiki, exactly where it should be. See: Getting started
Silk McCue wrote:
The forum index is on the home page sidebar, under "Bogleheads® Forum". On mobile, it's the "Forum" link in the header.

Update: I just saw siamond's post. "Board index" is the name used by the forum software.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am
Administrators:

My suggestion is to make it easier for new investors to post on the Bogleheads Forum.

If you go to www.bogleheads.org, there are no instructions on how to post. The only weak clue is a link: "view subform list."

I suggest adding: "To post and view subform list."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Links which start a new topic were removed from the home page (www.bogleheads.org) when we redesigned it for mobile devices. Far too many members were using the links to post questions for any topic. It was a lot of work to move them into the right sub-forum.

Instructions for using the forum software described in the FAQ, which is found at the top of any forum page. For example, the FAQ has: How do I create a new topic or post a reply? This is the accepted way to provide help on anything relevant to the operation of the forum.

The forum guidelines (set by the site owners) are stated separately as Forum Policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm
Update: I just saw siamond's post. "Board index" is the name used by the forum software.
No way to customize it? If not, then the home page should probably say 'board index'...

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 am

There should be a waiting period for when an account is created and when someone can first post. Minimum of 24 hours.

In that waiting period, they should receive an email encouraging them to 'search' for the topic of interest first (click the gear top right)

Few months back it seemed every day when I looked at the forum, there were 2-3 new users posting threads that have had thorough coverage already like "which online bank should I use" or the classic "what is the best credit card" ...

Sorry if there already is a waiting period (?) I don't recall one I guess. Thanks.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm
It's also in the wiki, exactly where it should be. See: Getting started
Which, in my incognito search, lands me here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Help:Getting_started

My point still stands that it was difficult to find the getting started information. One can argue that it's easy, but I wouldn't have posted if it had been. If there's any ways to improve finding it, great, that's all I am pointing out. :beer

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm

beardsworth wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm
I'd like the ability to discuss the personal finance implications of really enormous "macro" trends like global warming. Not the science of it, not the politics of it. Those subjects are currently banned from discussion here and, I believe, should remain so, because they inevitably lead to disputatious discussions.

But the overwhelming majority of threads on this forum seem to assume that the economy, and our use of fossil fuels, and "growth" in general, are going to continue pretty much as we've always known them--the ultimate example of believing that "past performance predicts future performance"--and I don't believe that's the case, and yet we're barred here from discussing what it might suggest for decision-making at a personal financial level.

There must be other participants here with a similar frame of reference, and I often yearn to have a discussion with this knowledgeable group of people along the lines of What, if anything are you trying to do to prepare for a future "climate," however, you may see it, which is very different, both environmentally and economically from the one we have now? This, I think is a legitimate area of discussion in the arrangement of one's personal finances, so I wish it was allowed--but, to return to where I began, I would have no problem at all with continuing moderator removal of "cat fight" posts and trolling about the politics and science of global warming. It's only the money and investment implications that I'd like to be able to discuss here.
+1 I agree. The amount and rate of growth of US and global debt would be another discussion topic I'd find valuable relative to asset allocation planning.
However, on the downside, if these topics did start political and personal "catfights," my concern would be not only for the damage to the civility and intellectual content of the site, but also for the ongoing willingness of the moderators to serve if there were constant bickering and overstepping of boundaries.
So I think any proposal in this direction would need careful thought behind it.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Beehave wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm
+1 I agree. The amount and rate of growth of US and global debt would be another discussion topic I'd find valuable relative to asset allocation planning.
However, on the downside, if these topics did start political and personal "catfights," my concern would be not only for the damage to the civility and intellectual content of the site, but also for the ongoing willingness of the moderators to serve if there were constant bickering and overstepping of boundaries.
So I think any proposal in this direction would need careful thought behind it.
I don't think enough people would be able to exercise the degree of self-control needed to participate in those conversations in the manner you would hope. History has shown that someone will invariably "go there" and often very early into the thread. I've been disappointed to see threads with good discussion/potential shut down because people couldn't help themselves.

Also, when we can't get through a thread about brown-bagging your lunch without it becoming contentious there is no hope for a topic that is controversial. While it may be unfortunate, we are probably better off for the rules being what they are.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Easy to fill in templates for all the common questions like Is my portolio good, can I afford this house, am I saving enough, and can I retire. It could do all the math, symbol look up, and so on. And then you can do the next step and run some initial analysis by figuring out how much money they will have in 10 years and what Firecalc thinks about their chances:) And no I don't expect the forum to every add in stuff like this. It is a lot of work and to go from a generic forum to one optimized for financial questions would be a full time job for a couple of people.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:50 pm
automatically get rid of +1.
+1