Improving the Bogleheads forum

Discussions about the forum and contents
tennisplyr

Improving the Bogleheads forum

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:22 am

Obviously this forum has been a tremendous help to many, many people. That said, I was wondering how is might be improved. What would its users like to see more of/less of, changed or that's new. Of course, how can we as participants help in this process?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

4nursebee

Re: Improving the Bogleheads forum

Post by 4nursebee » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:02 am

Is this actionable?
4nursebee

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:27 pm

I do not know enough about the ins and outs of running a web site and blog so my suggestions may not be feasible for security reasons.

I wish it were easier to post a jpeg or a chart or graph. I do this rarely and have to go back and read up on it every time I do.

I would also like to be able to post an excel spreadsheet or table and have the formatting hold. Again, I know there is a way to do this, but as one who would only do so occasionally, it is something I would have to relearn each time I used it.

There are some very interesting articles mentioned in some of the threads. It would be nice if there were a way to save those links to a wiki page, or something similar - perhaps by topic. I realize that links get broken over time and that this would be a maintenance issue.

Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Maybe for the Personal Consumers Issues, you could add a sticky that says: FIRST do a search to see if your issue has been addressed. Then, of course, explain how to do the search.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Feel free to use my wiki https://sterbalssundrystudies.miraheze. ... Bogleheads (or start your own at https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/FAQ ) to create a view of interesting or notable items.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:06 pm

This forum is in dire need of a health and wellness section. So much emphasis on obtaining a financially rewarding retirement but what good is that if you have a 1001 health issues. I messaged Lady Geek on this in the past and she gave me a satisfactory answer on why this may never come to pass.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm guessing that the use of the word dire in regards to this forum makes it less likely to happen.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 pm

I don't know if this is the appropriate place or not, but here you go:

viewtopic.php?t=165036

- Tim

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Please add "Thumb up" or "Like" button in replies so that people can easily find out the most helpful answers in each topic.
Time in market beats timing the market.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:56 pm

bo105954027 wrote:Please add "Thumb up" or "Like" button in replies so that people can easily find out the most helpful answers in each topic.
I think this has come up multiple times and been rejected.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Lovely Rita wrote:Maybe for the Personal Consumers Issues, you could add a sticky that says: FIRST do a search to see if your issue has been addressed. Then, of course, explain how to do the search.
Some internet forums actually DO the search automatically, list the relevant threads, and ask the question
"Do you STILL want to submit this post?"
then require a "Yes, I still want to submit" before the post for a new thread is accepted.

BTW, the "stickies" are not visible at all to most users of bogleheads.org, so a sticky admonishment would not be an improvement.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm

I've said this before but think the polls are interesting.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Lovely Rita

Posts that most users cannot see?

Post by Lovely Rita » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:20 am

livesoft wrote: BTW, the "stickies" are not visible at all to most users of bogleheads.org, so a sticky admonishment would not be an improvement.
:confused Are you saying most users cannot see posts such as "Policies and Etiquette", and "Asking Portfolio Questions"?

livesoft

Re: Posts that most users cannot see?

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 am

Lovely Rita wrote:
livesoft wrote: BTW, the "stickies" are not visible at all to most users of bogleheads.org, so a sticky admonishment would not be an improvement.
:confused Are you saying most users cannot see posts such as "Policies and Etiquette", and "Asking Portfolio Questions"?
Yes. Here is a screen capture of the top part of what I see and it is also what I think most visitors to the forum see:

Note: No stickies. No "Policies and Etiquette" and No "Asking Portfolio Questions." It is little wonder that many new posters do not follow the "Asking Portfolio Questions" mandate.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 am

Lovely Rita wrote:
No, but they can't see they are "stickied". If you view an individual forum such as viewforum.php?f=1 you can see the stickies.

If you view the main Bogleheads page, https://www.bogleheads.org/ you see all posts in order of most recent edit, with no stickies visible. To get to a page with stickies, you have to click on a post, and then click on the forum from that post (or go to Forum Index and then click on a forum).
Wiki David Grabiner

Lovely Rita

How you enter the site changes what you view..thanks

Post by Lovely Rita » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

To livesoft and grabiner,
ahhhh...I don't enter Bogleheads thru that "portal" (When I accidentally go to that page, I back out of it, as I find it confusing.)
I always enter from index.php and pick my topic.
So that explains that! Thank you for the information.

jebmke

Re: How you enter the site changes what you view..thanks

Post by jebmke » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 am

Lovely Rita wrote:To livesoft and grabiner,
ahhhh...I don't enter Bogleheads thru that "portal" (When I accidentally go to that page, I back out of it, as I find it confusing.)
Interesting to see different approaches. I always go the the www.bogleheads.org because often posts are classified incorrectly and I am more interested in the subject line. If the subject is vague I will usually skip it without regard to the particular forum it is in.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm

livesoft wrote:Yes. Here is a screen capture of the top part of what I see and it is also what I think most visitors to the forum see:

Note: No stickies. No "Policies and Etiquette" and No "Asking Portfolio Questions." It is little wonder that many new posters do not follow the "Asking Portfolio Questions" mandate.
What do the lower case letters in the second column under the word "Replies" mean? I don't get to the forum through this portal, either.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

stylebox

Post by stylebox » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Subforum key:
h = Investing - Help with Personal Investments
t = Investing - Theory, News & General
p = Personal Finance
c = Personal Consumer Issues
r = Reference Library and Wiki
l = Local Chapters
f = Forum Issues and Administration

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:22 pm

BolderBoy wrote: What do the lower case letters in the second column under the word "Replies" mean? I don't get to the forum through this portal, either.
If you scroll to the very bottom it says:

Subforum key:
h = Investing - Help with Personal Investments
t = Investing - Theory, News & General
p = Personal Finance
c = Personal Consumer Issues
r = Reference Library and Wiki
l = Local Chapters
f = Forum Issues and Administration

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 pm

We think the forum is great as it is, and the moderators do an awesome job at closing down non-actionable and medical threads. Also enter through bogleheads.org as we find a range of topic threads interesting. So no suggestions for changes - and this may be why there aren't many posts in this thread - many happy campers! Just sayin'

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Well that was simple enough. Thanks. If I'd only clicked on "view list" I'd have had my answer.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 pm

BolderBoy wrote:Well that was simple enough. Thanks. If I'd only clicked on "view list" I'd have had my answer.
And if you look to your left on the forum http://www.bogleheads.org, and see the "Bogleheads Wiki" and click on "Wiki Home" it will bring you to the wiki, and then you look to your left and see "Links" and click on "Bogleheads Contest" and you will find Taylor's Bogleheads S & P Contest standings - and BolderBoy - as of this minute - you are in the top ten :D

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Here's one: Every time Warren Buffett's name is spelled wrong, the forum software could automatically correct it. :)

Talisker

Post by Talisker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Lovely Rita wrote:Maybe for the Personal Consumers Issues, you could add a sticky that says: FIRST do a search to see if your issue has been addressed. Then, of course, explain how to do the search.
That's been posted before :happy

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm

A more modern, mobile friendly home page.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

island

Re: How you enter the site changes what you view..thanks

Post by island » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 pm

jebmke wrote:
Lovely Rita wrote:To livesoft and grabiner,
Interesting to see different approaches. I always go the the http://www.bogleheads.org because often posts are classified incorrectly and I am more interested in the subject line. If the subject is vague I will usually skip it without regard to the particular forum it is in.
Same here.
And no complaints either. Thanks Bogleheads.org team and participants!

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm

I'd like the ability to discuss the personal finance implications of really enormous "macro" trends like global warming. Not the science of it, not the politics of it. Those subjects are currently banned from discussion here and, I believe, should remain so, because they inevitably lead to disputatious discussions.

But the overwhelming majority of threads on this forum seem to assume that the economy, and our use of fossil fuels, and "growth" in general, are going to continue pretty much as we've always known them--the ultimate example of believing that "past performance predicts future performance"--and I don't believe that's the case, and yet we're barred here from discussing what it might suggest for decision-making at a personal financial level.

There must be other participants here with a similar frame of reference, and I often yearn to have a discussion with this knowledgeable group of people along the lines of What, if anything are you trying to do to prepare for a future "climate," however, you may see it, which is very different, both environmentally and economically from the one we have now? This, I think is a legitimate area of discussion in the arrangement of one's personal finances, so I wish it was allowed--but, to return to where I began, I would have no problem at all with continuing moderator removal of "cat fight" posts and trolling about the politics and science of global warming. It's only the money and investment implications that I'd like to be able to discuss here.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:09 pm

tennisplyr wrote:I've said this before but think the polls are interesting.
If there was a poll for this, I would vote for it.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 pm

njboater74 wrote:A more modern, mobile friendly home page.
+1

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 pm

tennisplyr wrote:Obviously this forum has been a tremendous help to many, many people. That said, I was wondering how is might be improved. What would its users like to see more of/less of, changed or that's new. Of course, how can we as participants help in this process?
Making improvements require time and resources, which this forum has insufficient revenue to fund. Volunteers only get you so far. As a result, forum management decided to only run stock software with minimal changes. Whatever improvement has to come from new versions of the open-source software. We can only wait.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Hard to think of anything!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:30 pm

A more specific suggestion pertinent to investing would be more actionable.

Unfortunately, most suggestions are "I liked this feature in another forum, use it here too" without
regard to the amount of improvement vs. effort expended.

I think that the wiki is underutilized by most posters, but gentle nudges in that direction by
seasoned users may help. (E.g. Should I invest or pay off loans? Where can I find a retirement calculator?)

On balance though, I think the forum is very good as it is, and thank the founders, admins, and moderators
for all their efforts on our behalf.

I should remember to click through the Amazon link as a way to help fund this site, since I recall that the site
gets a "small" referral fee from users entering Amazon through the link in the headings on the Boglehead site.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Sidney wrote:
bo105954027 wrote:Please add "Thumb up" or "Like" button in replies so that people can easily find out the most helpful answers in each topic.
Yea, remember Orange Morningstar?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

siamond

Post by siamond » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Tanelorn wrote:
Indeed. Losing the ability to initiate polls was a very poor decision, with no solid justification.

Aside from that, the forum is great as is.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sidney wrote:
Yea, remember Orange Morningstar?
Thx. Now I have to reset my "Days since I have thought about Orange M*" wall placard back to zero.

It's like V*ldem*rt, shall never be spoken.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

woof755

Post by woof755 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 am

siamond wrote:
Tanelorn wrote:
Indeed. Losing the ability to initiate polls was a very poor decision, with no solid justification.

Aside from that, the forum is great as is.
The polls are fun, but samples so unscientific hard to see what they can demonstrate.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

b4real

Post by b4real » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:07 am

I enjoyed the annual net worth survey and would like to see it allowed again.
viewtopic.php?t=154364

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:19 am

woof755 wrote:The polls are fun, but samples so unscientific hard to see what they can demonstrate.
Well, this isn't about demonstrating (as in 'rigorous proof') anything. This is about gathering information on a useful topic in a synthetic format, and also about enticing 'silent' people to express themselves. How one interprets information is up to them.

Especially salient case in point: figuring out how many people have a problem with polls vs how many people like them... this should have been a poll, before this decision was taken. An an informational input, not as a hard proof of anything. Now we can't ask forum members what they think about a change any more, at least in a way that is synthetic and conducive to 'silent' people expressing themselves. Just a few outspoken folks like you or me would speak up otherwise!

PS. oh, and a little bit of fun doesn't hurt either, and there were indeed some fun polls.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am

livesoft wrote:Here's one: Every time Warren Buffett's name is spelled wrong, the forum software could automatically correct it. :)
or at a minimum, tell us when, where and what food is being served.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

cfs

Good enough for government work

Post by cfs » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am

Adding my two centimos.

I enter the forum at bogleheads dot org, check the listing, this is what I see right now "1286 new posts and replies over 185 topics in last day (sorted by Latest Reply)," then I start checking conversations and contribute whatever I can whenever I can if I feel like posting a reply [like now], otherwise I move on. Forum is good enough for government work, and imho I would NOT change a thing. To all forum managers and moderators, thanks for all you do.

Thanks for reading.

p.s. For forum support and changes, click here: https://www.bogleheads.org/support.php
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:51 am

livesoft wrote:Here's one: Every time Warren Buffett's name is spelled wrong, the forum software could automatically correct it. :)
The Spurs forum I frequent did something like that with Sean Elliott's last name (except that the forum auto-corrected it to a semi-vulgar Lakers insult). :sharebeer

azanon

Post by azanon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I'd just like to say, as an aside, please don't confuse a suggestion with a compliant. It's entirely possible to think this is an outstanding forum, yet at the same time, still have a suggestion or two.

Now if public suggestions aren't welcome here, then that's a different story.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:50 pm

automatically get rid of +1.

Biffer

Post by Biffer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Superb idea.

It could also automatically post nisiprius' excellent limerick:
nisiprius wrote:And here is my tip for the day,
It's a rule you should always obey:
When it comes to the crunch
There is never free lunch--
And there's never a Warren Buffet.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:03 pm

If Warren hit Jimmy while lunching in Las Vegas, how would the headline read?

woof755

Post by woof755 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm

siamond wrote:
woof755 wrote:The polls are fun, but samples so unscientific hard to see what they can demonstrate.
Well, this isn't about demonstrating (as in 'rigorous proof') anything. This is about gathering information on a useful topic in a synthetic format, and also about enticing 'silent' people to express themselves. How one interprets information is up to them.

Especially salient case in point: figuring out how many people have a problem with polls vs how many people like them... this should have been a poll, before this decision was taken. An an informational input, not as a hard proof of anything. Now we can't ask forum members what they think about a change any more, at least in a way that is synthetic and conducive to 'silent' people expressing themselves. Just a few outspoken folks like you or me would speak up otherwise!

PS. oh, and a little bit of fun doesn't hurt either, and there were indeed some fun polls.
Betrayed by the keyboard. That sentence, read aloud, would have emphasized that I think the polls are fun as well.
Didn't mean to be a grump.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:51 pm

What is the purpose of having a Personal Consumers Issues section, this is a forum about investments?
Erwin

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:18 pm

tennisplyr wrote:Obviously this forum has been a tremendous help to many, many people. That said, I was wondering how is might be improved. What would its users like to see more of/less of, changed or that's new. Of course, how can we as participants help in this process?
a larger default font, or a way to increase the font size without doing CTRL+ which makes everything on the page bigger. Font is tiny.

Ability to post pics should be easier.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 pm

How about a section just for portfolio review ? Currently there are many portfolio reviews which get(/need) bumped as the review - by many contributors over time - is not complete and it can take a long time as it goes down the list and 'disappears' in page 2 etc.