Bogleheads Website - Security Cert Expired

Discussions about the forum and contents
TallBoy29er

Bogleheads Website - Security Cert Expired

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Our SSL certificate has expired. Our system admin has been notified. There is no danger or security breach. - Alex Frakt

In Chrome browser, as of 7pm this afternoon, when I goto the bogleheads.org website, I am getting the message this message:

"This server could not prove that it is http://www.bogleheads.org; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Thursday, November 26, 2015. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page."

Anyone else hitting this, or to the site admins, would there be an expired security certificate?

Thanks,

bertilak

Re: Bogleheads Website - Security Cert Expired

Post by bertilak » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Me too, using Firefox:

http://www.bogleheads.org uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate expired on 11/26/2015 5:59 PM.
The current time is 11/26/2015 6:29 PM.
(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

I did a naughty and gave permission to load it anyway!
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Got the samething this evening, I was using Safari. I just hit continue…… Not sure if this is real or a Mac issue(Got it on my ipad as well)

TimeRunner

Bogleheads.org certificate expired (according to Google Chrome and OS/X Safari)

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Your Bogleheads.org SSL certificate expired today at 15:59:59 PT, according to Safari. Chrome is also throwing a warning.
"Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from http://www.bogleheads.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
Back to safetyHide advanced
This server could not prove that it is http://www.bogleheads.org; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Thursday, November 26, 2015. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page."
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:34 pm

When I tried to reply to your comment Chrome warned me of certificate problem and that the https connection may not be secure.
When I viewed the certificate information for bogleheads.org it shows the "valid through" has passed - expired about 30 minutes ago from what I'm seeing.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:36 pm

It's not an issue with your computer or browser; the website's certificate is expired so all modern browsers will warn you to stay away since it could be a security problem.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

I just got the same or similar message using Safari.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I got this too.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I moved TimeRunner's post into here. mingstar (server admin) has been notified.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Same here !

tyler_cracker

Post by tyler_cracker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 pm

things i am thankful for:
- HTTPS
- server admins
- not getting paged for problems with ssl certs on thanksgiving :D

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Me too.

With Internet Explorer.

I ignored it - obviously 'cause here I am!
I don't know anything.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm

tyler_cracker wrote:things i am thankful for:
- HTTPS
- server admins

Things a site admin does not look forward to doing:

- Contacting the server admin about an expired SSL certificate on Thanksgiving. :) (done)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Alan S.

Bogleheads Security Certificate

Post by Alan S. » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Anyone else receiving an expired security certificate warning for bogleheads? FIrst popped up 5 minutes ago.

Virus program Avast triggered the warning.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:39 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
- HTTPS
- server admins

- Contacting the server admin about an expired SSL certificate on Thanksgiving. :) (done)

Hardest working admin.

Thank you Lady Geek!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:40 pm

^^^ I merged Alan S.'s post into here.

The server admin (mingstar) has been notified.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I merged Alan S.'s post into here.

The server admin (mingstar) has been notified.

I logged in and my computer didn't blow up. Hopefully my user name and password didn't get sent to the mob in Ukraine! But anyway, I blew past the warnings and logged in! Talk about living right on the edge. Probably tomorrow, I will be penniless with all my accounts hacked and raided. We will see what happens.

Thanks for being on top of this.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Wow, the feeling of blowing past the warnings and visiting the site. And better yet, logging in.
Next, I will be tearing off the tag on my mattress that says "Do not remove under penalty of law." This is so much fun. I feel like I am getting away with something!!! :sharebeer :sharebeer
A fool and his money are good for business.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 pm

nedsaid wrote:Wow, the feeling of blowing past the warnings and visiting the site. And better yet, logging in.
Next, I will be tearing off the tag on my mattress that says "Do not remove under penalty of law." This is so much fun. I feel like I am getting away with something!!! :sharebeer :sharebeer

+1
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

bobcat2

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by bobcat2 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 pm

As of this evening I have to add a security certificate exception to access Bogleheads in Firefox. I think it is the browser (it could be something else) that is reporting that the Bogleheads security certificate as of tonight is out of date.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

renue74

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by renue74 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 pm

+1.

I'm getting the SSL cert error also. Probably need to renew your SSL certificate.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I merged bobcat2's and renue74's posts into here.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Me, too. Mac OS X, Safari Version 8.0.7 (10600.7.12)

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

privateer79

Post by privateer79 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 pm

for those of you using DELL's they've helpfully provided a way to solve this problem for yourself :oops:

hope this gets fixed soon, but not really worried.

Raladic

Post by Raladic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:48 am

And once the admin renews the cert, maybe he could get it to expire more like mid year instead of Thanksgiving day, I'm sure that would help with not running into the expiration warnings in case he takes the entire week off as some people do :)

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:15 am

privateer79 wrote:for those of you using DELL's they've helpfully provided a way to solve this problem for yourself :oops:
I don't think so. The problem is the expired certificate, not the fact that a web browser warns you about expired certificates.

Safari and I assume all other major browsers make it easy enough to connect to Bogleheads despite the expired certificate, but that's hardly "fixing the problem." Obviously nobody could have posted anything in this thread if they had not been willing and able to connect to a potentially insecure site. In my case, I got what was really a reasonably clear warning and reasonable set of options:

What I could see from viewing the certificate didn't look alarming, so I went ahead and pressed "continue." In Safari, if you press "continue" you don't get bothered again until you close and re-open Safari.

However, "the problem" is the expired certificate itself, not the fact that your Web browser warns you about it. There is no way to solve the problem except to renew the certificate, and there's no way you or I can do this for Alex or Larry.
I hope this gets fixed soon, but not really worried.
Nor am I, because if I recall the discussions when they decided to do it, the Bogleheads site uses SSL, not because there's any obvious reason why it needs to be secure--it was operated for seven years with the old-fashioned http: protocol--but because the weight of opinion seems to be that nowadays every website should use https: just as a matter of good practice.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mingstar
Founder

Post by mingstar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:14 am

I just installed a new certificate. It's valid for the next three years.

Larry

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:56 am

Larry,

Thanks for the quick resolution.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

packet

Post by packet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:04 am

Thank you mingstar.

At least 3 years from now you'll get the call on black Friday instead of Thanksgiving... :)

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:23 am

mingstar wrote:I just installed a new certificate. It's valid for the next three years.

Larry

Yea! It works!.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:37 am

Will do good wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
- HTTPS
- server admins

Hardest working admin.
Thank you Lady Geek!

Above and beyond the Call of Duty for all Admins :D

Actually, we thought it might be the work of higher beings intervening to ensure that Bogleheads would enjoy Thanksgiving with their family and friends - and not rush to check the Forum every five minutes :shock:

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:55 am

I know nothing about these things but as a "consumer" it seems like it would be nice to have a 30 day notice of expiring certificate go to the
responsible people (like notice of maturing CDs). Also whatever detects the invalid certificate (the browser?)......seems like there are a variety
of messages produced........some more alarmist than others..........is it not possible for the detector to describe what is invalid....e.g. giving
the maturity vs the actual date......since that is what it detected

mudfud

Post by mudfud » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:26 am

mingstar wrote:I just installed a new certificate. It's valid for the next three years.

Larry

Thanks Larry, your work is much appreciated!
Mud
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 am

mudfud wrote:

Larry

Thanks Larry, your work is much appreciated!
Mud

+1

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Support this site

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:47 am

Larry

Bogleheads:

Sometimes we forget that sponsoring and maintaining the non-profit Boglehead website costs money -- which Larry did not mention.

If you would like to help support the Boglehead website read this:

SUPPORT THIS SITE

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:48 am

kaneohe wrote:I know nothing about these things but as a "consumer" it seems like it would be nice to have a 30 day notice of expiring certificate go to the
responsible people (like notice of maturing CDs). Also whatever detects the invalid certificate (the browser?)......seems like there are a variety
of messages produced........some more alarmist than others..........is it not possible for the detector to describe what is invalid....e.g. giving

I believe all browsers already DO explain the situation, including dates of expiration, but security stuff is tricky, making it hard for implementers to present a simple interface to the general public. Even so, It is much harder to spot an impostor than it is to understand the security warnings relating to certificates!

About 30 day notice: If you logged on a couple of weeks ago such a pre-warning would have been MORE confusing than the one we just got!

In this case, we don't worry that bogleheads.org will scam us, but that an impostor will. Bottom line, without a valid certificate there is NO guarantee that the website you go to is the one you think it is.

Since we are all pretty familiar with bogleheads.org and since the security certificate expired only a short while ago it is unlikely there is any impostor involved so it is safe to ignore the warning. This is why browsers give you the option to do so. Just keep your eyes open when you get past the certificate warning.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 am

I am not getting the dire warning any more, but the Forum address still displays in my browser with https: crossed our by a red line.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:04 am

Leeraar wrote:I am not getting the dire warning any more, but the Forum address still displays in my browser with https: crossed our by a red line.

L.

What browser are you using? Maybe it's a browser problem.

What I think is more likely is that you a added a security exception earlier and the browser is still concerned that there is an exception. See if you can get into your security settings and remove the exception. My need to look for some "advanced" setting.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:05 am

kaneohe wrote:I know nothing about these things but as a "consumer" it seems like it would be nice to have a 30 day notice of expiring certificate go to the

Browsers write whatever messages they choose to, but they all have the same information available to them. So do you; you can examine the certificate for any site. Some browsers allow an easy route to this information, but everyone can access it.

Usually providers send email roughly 1 to 2 months before expiration, but sometimes the emails are filtered in various ways (not necessarily spam, but possibly), or the recipient address is wrong, so they don't always reach the intended recipient. Actually, it's pretty common for both certificates and domain names to expire accidentally.

As for still receiving the cert warning now, maybe it's a cache issue. I see the warning now in my original browser window when I try to access the site, but when I open a private browsing window from that same window, no warning. I didn't want to clear the cache right now for various reasons but that might have worked as well.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:13 am

Leeraar wrote:I am not getting the dire warning any more, but the Forum address still displays in my browser with https: crossed our by a red line.

L.

Nothing is wrong. That's due to "mixed content", meaning there's a link containing http:// somewhere in this page. Hint: Images displayed within a post usually link to insecure (http://) websites.

For example, nisiprius' post: Re: Bogleheads Website - Security Cert Expired is mixed content and will show the crossed out security icon in your browser's URL bar.

The home page Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info has no such links - all OK.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 am

I was expecting to triple click, but I got right here!

THANK YOU Admins!!!
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks. I got those yesterday too. Just figured it was a holiday .......
Nice to enter and immediately be logged in. :happy

BolderBoy

Re: Support this site

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:21 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:If you would like to help support the Boglehead website read this:

SUPPORT THIS SITE

For technical reasons, a foundation I'm involved with can only donate to 501(c)(3) entities. In January, I am going to "encourage" them to make a goodly donation to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy and ask that the donation be earmarked, to whatever extent allowed, to helping with the maintenance of the forum.

Will that likely help?
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:22 am

LadyGeek wrote:

L.

Nothing is wrong. That's due to "mixed content", meaning there's a link containing http:// somewhere in this page. Hint: Images displayed within a post usually link to insecure (http://) websites.

For example, nisiprius' post: Re: Bogleheads Website - Security Cert Expired is mixed content and will show the crossed out security icon in your browser's URL bar.

The home page Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info has no such links - all OK.

Let me provide an example where mixed content is not OK.

Take a look at this wiki page: Bogleheads® 14 videos

Note how your browser does not display the video content. We're using https://, but Morningstar is not (http://). Your browser knows this, and refuses to play the video. Why?

Running active mixed content (like playing a video) provides an opportunity for a bad guy to inject malware. This is much more dangerous than displaying a static image. Google http https active mixed content - Google Search for the background.

As a workaround, we supply a link to Morningstar's site. That's all we can (and should) do until Morningstar goes to https://.

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:26 am

I know many of you know more about computers/servers etc but there is a distinction between bold and foolhardy. I got the notice last night and decided that the people who support this site would resolve the problem by Friday and frankly I did not consider trying to get to the site. As implied in the first sentence i question your judgment. This is a great site but surely you could wait a day before going to it.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:33 am

I am using Chrome.

I restarted the browser and the strikeout is gone.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:11 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:If you would like to help support the Boglehead website read this:

SUPPORT THIS SITE

For technical reasons, a foundation I'm involved with can only donate to 501(c)(3) entities. In January, I am going to "encourage" them to make a goodly donation to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy and ask that the donation be earmarked, to whatever extent allowed, to helping with the maintenance of the forum.

Will that likely help?

Yes, that will work. The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) entity and one of our missions is to help support the forum and it's work.

Since the Bogle Center is an approved 501(c)(3) organization, contributions to the Bogle Center are tax-deductible.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:

SUPPORT THIS SITE

Will that likely help?

Yes, that will work. The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) entity and one of our missions is to help support the forum and it's work.

Since the Bogle Center is an approved 501(c)(3) organization, contributions to the Bogle Center are tax-deductible.

Great. The tax-deduction is of no consequence to this particular foundation. Only the 501(c)(3) status matters to us.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:

SUPPORT THIS SITE

Will that likely help?

Great. The tax-deduction is of no consequence to this particular foundation. Only the 501(c)(3) status matters to us.

I only added that part so other individuals who aren't involved in Foundations would realize that they, too, can donate to the Bogle Center to help support the forum and get a tax deduction for doing so.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

small_index

Post by small_index » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Last edited by small_index on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.