Mobile-friendly version of the bogleheads website

Discussions about the forum and contents
chocolatemuffin

Mobile-friendly version of the bogleheads website

Post by chocolatemuffin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Any plan to make the bogleheads website mobile-friendly? I use my cell phone to browse the bogleheads forum sometimes, but it's really hard to read. With the world increasingly mobile, having a mobile friendly website will really help.

jbuzolich

Re: Mobile-friendly version of the bogleheads website

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Maybe it's the device you are using? I read bogleheads daily and only from two different mobile devices. I find it very easy to read and follow threads. I do not visit the site from my desktop at all.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:43 am

They already made it "mobile friendly" less than a year ago.
It works fine on my Nexus 5 except that it has reduced functionality compared to the full desktop site.
I've requested the ability to switch to the full site on my smartphone (occasionally) but they've decided not to support that; we are restricted to the mobile version...
Attempted new signature...

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:58 am

chocolatemuffin wrote:Any plan to make the bogleheads website mobile-friendly? I use my cell phone to browse the bogleheads forum sometimes, but it's really hard to read. With the world increasingly mobile, having a mobile friendly website will really help.
Are you talking about the Bogleheads home page (https://www.bogleheads.org) or the forum software (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum)?

There is some previous discussion in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155829
LadyGeek wrote:Sorry, I thought you were referring to the forum software. The home page is not intended to adapt to a mobile device, nor are there any plans to do so.

The only mobile suggestion I can offer is to scroll and pinch-zoom until the link you want is large enough to select. That's not much help, but it will work.
As The Wizard points out, the forum software is a responsive design that is mobile-friendly.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

NonnyGoGo

Post by NonnyGoGo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:40 am

I like Opera Mini browser set to single column view.

chocolatemuffin

Post by chocolatemuffin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 am

I was referring to the bogleheads homepage, since that's where I usually start my browsing. Thanks for the info. It's good to know that it has been at least considered.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 am

An alternative to the BH homepage that you might consider is using the forum software's View active topics which is mobile friendly.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Has there been any progress on this, this year?

The new feeds help, but I'm having trouble making them work right.

It would be nice to read how people are using mobile. I had a short private conversation that I hope my counterparty will share.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 am

One really nice thing about the current layout that I just realized is that if you rotate the screen on your phone, you get the desktop layout back.

It is kinda of sad that it took me so long to figure this out.

It might be nice to have a short video on how people browse the site with a phone.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text