Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
bertilak

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote:
bertilak wrote:When I create a new post (via reply, quote, or new topic) the focus does NOT land on the input area, so when I start typing nothing happens until I hit the space bar which seems to be a hot-key that causes the screen to jump around and do who-know-what-else.
I can reproduce your problem on 2 different browsers, but I never really noticed this before. I've always clicked on the edit window and started typing from there. Is it a bug? I'm not sure.

What happens before setting the window focus depends on your browser's interpretation of the SPACE character.
Not sure it rises to the level of a BUG, but it is annoying and different from almost every other thing on a computer. Something gets the focus whenever there is something that deserves the focus.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software is now at phpBB version 3.1.8, which is the latest release. Along with all of the maintenance updates, there is one new feature.

When viewing Unread posts, you'll see a "Mark all read" link just above the top of the listing - to the right of the "Search these results" search box.

Click on the link to mark all of the posts as read. The small orange boxes to the left of the thread title (unread posts) will disappear.

This also affect topics you have posted in, which is Your posts. All of the topics you've posted in will be reset to read.

New posts after that point will then be flagged as unread - the small orange boxes will reappear next to the topic title.

The above links are part of the "Quick links" drop-down menu located at the top-left corner of the forum page (under the logo). You must be logged in to use these features.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thank you. :sharebeer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Via PM, a member pointed out a possible problem hiding your online status - meaning to check the "Hide my online status this session" box at login.

Previously, hiding your online status would never show you in the Board index "Who is online" section. After the upgrade to phpBB 3.1.8, you can see yourself listed - even when you are hidden.

It's not a feature, it's a bug.*

Actually, it's been a bug up to this point. According to the FAQ:
Within your User Control Panel, under “Board preferences”, you will find the option Hide your online status. Enable this option and you will only appear to the administrators, moderators and yourself. You will be counted as a hidden user.
You were supposed to see yourself when hiding your online status. That never worked until now.

For the tech crowd, here's the bug tracker: [PHPBB3-14200] Allow hidden users to see theself on viewonline - We went from phpBB version 3.1.6 to 3.1.8, so this change was picked up during the upgrade.

* I've always wanted to say that. :)

Update: Removed incorrect description of hidden vs. unhidden members.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been upgraded to phpBB version 3.1.9.

This is a maintenance release. All of the changes are "under-the-hood"; there are no changes to anything that members might see.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Could we please add something like this to denote the original poster (OP) on threads? It's something reddit has that I really enjoy. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the OP in a thread when they reply. Sometimes people type "OP here" or something similar but most do not.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/topic_starter/
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, that mod is not compatible with this version of the software. We're using 3.1.9, which is not backwards compatible with anything from 3.0.x. I don't see anything similar for version 3.1.x.

If something was found, the decision to implement a mod is made by the site owner.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

not sure where to post this suggestion, so will put it here.

On another forum I frequent (non-financial one), there is a 'thank you' button. What is it for?

Lets say one asks a question in a thread and gets 8 responses. Instead of creating 8 separate replies and typing 'thank you' and posting 8 separate thank you posts, you click a little icon at the bottom of each of the 8 posts which lists a 'thank you' to the person who responded to your question. Now, one CAN still type a reply if they wish, but the thank you button is very useful.

hdforms.com has this feature and its nice, prevents loads of unnecessary thank you replies when one asks a question.

I'd post a picture of it, but see no simple way to do that here w/out uploading to a photobucket account etc....
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

mj13f150 wrote:not sure where to post this suggestion, so will put it here.

On another forum I frequent (non-financial one), there is a 'thank you' button. What is it for?

Lets say one asks a question in a thread and gets 8 responses. Instead of creating 8 separate replies and typing 'thank you' and posting 8 separate thank you posts, you click a little icon at the bottom of each of the 8 posts which lists a 'thank you' to the person who responded to your question. Now, one CAN still type a reply if they wish, but the thank you button is very useful.

hdforms.com has this feature and its nice, prevents loads of unnecessary thank you replies when one asks a question.

I'd post a picture of it, but see no simple way to do that here w/out uploading to a photobucket account etc....
I've seen this handled 2 ways here:

--Inline. Everyone working on OP's problem/topic receives the "new post received for topic" email so sees the "thank you". So an inline "thank you" gets everyone involved with the original problem/solution.

--New topic. Sometimes the OP posts a new topic with a generic "thank you, forum" subject line. This probably attracts, and is seen by, more people. Anyone who wants to know the particulars would look up the OP's topics to see the original problem and solution effort.

Some times the "thank you" comes many months later (because it takes the OP that long to implement the suggested change(s) and to see its effect), so it comes as a nice surprise.

Either way is considered by the forum to be a "warm fuzzy". And for the OP it's one and done.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dratkinson wrote:
mj13f150 wrote:not sure where to post this suggestion, so will put it here.

I've seen this handled 2 ways here:

--Inline. Everyone working on OP's problem/topic receives the "new post received for topic" email so sees the "thank you". So an inline "thank you" gets everyone involved with the original problem/solution.

--New topic. Sometimes the OP posts a new topic with a generic "thank you, forum" subject line. This probably attracts, and is seen by, more people. Anyone who wants to know the particulars would look up the OP's topics to see the original problem and solution effort.

Some times the "thank you" comes many months later (because it takes the OP that long to implement the suggested change(s) and to see its effect), so it comes as a nice surprise.

Either way is considered by the forum to be a "warm fuzzy". And for the OP it's one and done.
Thank you. :P

(this illustrates my point!)
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We try to keep the forum software as "stock" as possible. The site owner determines which modifications are incorporated.

However, there's a different problem before we can get to that.

For a lot of reasons, we only use extensions ("mods") that have been formally validated by the phpBB developers. We're currently at phpBB 3.1.9, so only "extensions" that work with 3.1.x can be installed.

I don't see anything available that would implement a "thank you" feature.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

LadyGeek wrote:Sorry, that mod is not compatible with this version of the software. We're using 3.1.9, which is not backwards compatible with anything from 3.0.x. I don't see anything similar for version 3.1.x.

If something was found, the decision to implement a mod is made by the site owner.
This should do it. It should change the topic author's name to red on each post.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_author/

Description
phpBB 3.1 extension that will add Topic Author to viewtopic.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
segfault

Post by segfault »

Elsebet wrote:Could we please add something like this to denote the original poster (OP) on threads? It's something reddit has that I really enjoy. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the OP in a thread when they reply. Sometimes people type "OP here" or something similar but most do not.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/topic_starter/
I agree. Fatwallet has this on its forums and it's very useful.

I use Chrome, and can sort of get the same functionality by doing a find command for the original poster's username, which will highlight the username in all its instances on a given page, then look for that username along the right side of the page.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been upgraded to the latest release, version 3.1.10. (Previously was at 3.1.9.)
np81

Post by np81 »

Any chance the mods are looking at incorporating Topic Previews (link, changes the tooltip of a topic when you hover over it to include the first part of the initial post)? IMO, it's quite helpful on other phpBB forums.
np81

Post by np81 »

...I'll take that as a 'no' (thanks for the reply, though?).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry for not responding. That would be a 'no'. We want to keep the forum in a "stock" configuration as much as possible.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Is there possibly a bug in the PM process? I sometimes send PMs, and they show up in my outbox until read. In the past, they've remained unread for variable durations. Recently, I've had them unread in one case for weeks, in others for multiple days. I usually decide that "the moment" has passed after 24 hours or so, and delete them. A few possibilities:

1. Nobody wants to read my PMs (okay, I can take a hint), or
2. There's a bug in the PM notification to recipient, or
3. There's a bug in the PM Outbox counter

I believe that this is happening with new correspondents, but my established PM correspondents' messages get there. Not sure about this.

Has anyone else encountered this?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

That's how phpBB private messaging works, it is different than email. See [Help with private messaging - PM stuck in Outbox] and/or FAQ: Was my private message read?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:That's how phpBB private messaging works, it is different than email. See [Help with private messaging - PM stuck in Outbox] and/or FAQ: Was my private message read?
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, or perhaps you didn't read for comprehension.

In the past, my PMs went into the Outbox, where they remained for an hour, two, day, forever. Most were read on the same day, and the counter in the Outbox went to 0. Very occasionally, a PM stayed unread. Lately, it appears that ALL of my PMs to users with whom I don't have a past correspondence history remain (or appear to remain) unread. I was asking if this was possibly a bug.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

There is also the possibility that the recipient doesn't have notifications enabled for PMs, so never is aware of the PM. I've seen that happen on other boards where I'm a member.

I cannot recall what the default phpBB setting is for the Notification setting for 'Someone sends you a private message'.

FWIW, the next phpBB feature release visually improves how notifications are shown and improves the notification setting options, which might help in your situation.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:There is also the possibility that the recipient doesn't have notifications enabled for PMs, so never is aware of the PM. I've seen that happen on other boards where I'm a member.

I cannot recall what the default phpBB setting is for the Notification setting for 'Someone sends you a private message'.
I wonder if the default changed recently? That would explain why my long-standing correspondents seem to read my PMs (i.e., they get notified), whereas my newer ones don't.

It has escalated to the point where I won't bother writing a PM to someone I haven't ever PMed before. It's a waste of time, and posting (as I've seen people do on other boards) "I PMed you" on the board itself is too goofy to contemplate.
digarei

Post by digarei »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:There is also the possibility that the recipient doesn't have notifications enabled for PMs, so never is aware of the PM. I've seen that happen on other boards where I'm a member.

I wonder if the default changed recently? That would explain why my long-standing correspondents seem to read my PMs (i.e., they get notified), whereas my newer ones don't.

It has escalated to the point where I won't bother writing a PM to someone I haven't ever PMed before. It's a waste of time, and posting (as I've seen people do on other boards) "I PMed you" on the board itself is too goofy to contemplate.
I usually decide that "the moment" has passed after 24 hours or so, and delete them.
I think you're deleting them too quickly. At one time I had dozens of unread messages sitting in my outbox, many of which were sent to active forum participants. Currently, there are four (4): one of them was sent six months ago; two have languished for more than two years. Some people just don't check their messages. (Sometimes a follow up PM will work but not always.)
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

You also have to be logged in to get notifications. Plus not everyone reads the forums each day. Life or something like that.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:You also have to be logged in to get notifications. Plus not everyone reads the forums each day. Life or something like that.
I understand re logging in. But I usually only PM someone when I want to add something to a thread that they're actively participating in, usually as the OP, so I think it's probably the case that they on the forum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.1. See: Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Your first whine.....not a change for the better. :(

Yucky.

Yes, I know you don't get any choice....
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.1. See: Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1
I don't see the number of notifications listed on the top toolbar anymore. Is that simply hidden when the number is zero, now, or is the number permanently hidden?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

triceratop wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.1. See: Software Updated to phpBB 3.2.1
I don't see the number of notifications listed on the top toolbar anymore. Is that simply hidden when the number is zero, now, or is the number permanently hidden?
In addition, there also used to be a link to mark all notifications as read to dismiss them at the top of the list. Now you apparently have to go a separate window to dismiss them or you have to go to each one individually. In fact, I'm not clear on how to get rid of the notifications in the drop down list because selecting one (and going to that thread) doesn't dismiss it.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Geologist wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am
In addition, there also used to be a link to mark all notifications as read to dismiss them at the top of the list. Now you apparently have to go a separate window to dismiss them or you have to go to each one individually. In fact, I'm not clear on how to get rid of the notifications in the drop down list because selecting one (and going to that thread) doesn't dismiss it.
Alternately, you can just ignore notifications like I do. Presently up to 302 of them...
Attempted new signature...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The number of notifications is inside the big red icon that appears to the right of the "Notifications" link.

Click on the Notifications icon. At the top of the drop-down menu (to the right of "Notifications") are two links: "Settings", and "Mark all read". Click on "Mark all read" to get rid of the notifications.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Another change I noticed: phpBB doesn't register quote-of-a-quote as a notification anymore, which is interesting.

(as test someone please quote me so I can see this behavior)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
bayview

Post by bayview »

triceratop wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am Another change I noticed: phpBB doesn't register quote-of-a-quote as a notification anymore, which is interesting.

Here you go.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Rob Relyea

Re: Forum software change request - make OP easier to distinguish in replies

Post by Rob Relyea »

Reddit forums make the original poster's name blue, which makes it much easier to understand who is who in the conversation.

Perhaps doing the same, or something similar, would be a nice enhancement.

Thanks.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

bayview wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 am
triceratop wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am Another change I noticed: phpBB doesn't register quote-of-a-quote as a notification anymore, which is interesting.

Here you go.
Okay this is fine, and cool.

Thanks LadyGeek!

@The Wizard: I think my fellow moderators would get impatient with me if I didn't read my notifications ;)
bayview

Post by bayview »

triceratop wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 am
So you did get the notification of the quoted quote? I'm getting a bit tangled here, lol
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

bayview wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:59 am
triceratop wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 am
So you did get the notification of the quoted quote? I'm getting a bit tangled here, lol
To be clear: not The wizards post.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am
The number of notifications is inside the big red icon that appears to the right of the "Notifications" link.

Click on the Notifications icon. At the top of the drop-down menu (to the right of "Notifications") are two links: "Settings", and "Mark all read". Click on "Mark all read" to get rid of the notifications.
The "Mark all read" is only there now when there are new notifications. It was there when I saw the notification for your reply to my message here, but I jumped to this thread and now "mark all read" is gone.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Geologist wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am

The "Mark all read" is only there now when there are new notifications. It was there when I saw the notification for your reply to my message here, but I jumped to this thread and now "mark all read" is gone.
Click Notifications -> See All (at the bottom of the dropdown list) -> in the upper right of the new page is an option for Mark All Notifications Read.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Display of multi-page threads on the forum New Threads post is not working correctly. Text overwrites page count.
WoodSpinner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:35 am Display of multi-page threads on the forum New Threads post is not working correctly. Text overwrites page count.
Good catch. It's a known bug: [PHPBB3-15309] Improved fix for pagination layout in tables - phpBB Tracker

You'll see it in any of the views under "Quick links" (Your posts, New posts, Unread topics, etc.).

We'll probably have to wait until the next release for it to be fixed.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

I am also seeing a problem with the
  • formatting when I have multiple items.
WoodSpinner
Mudpuppy

Re: Forum software change request - make OP easier to distinguish in replies

Post by Mudpuppy »

pileitup wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 am Reddit forums make the original poster's name blue, which makes it much easier to understand who is who in the conversation.

Perhaps doing the same, or something similar, would be a nice enhancement.
You'll need to make this request of the phpBB developers. If it's not in stock phpBB, it's not featured here. Alternatively, maybe one of our GreaseMonkey experts can provide you with a client-side script to do this.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 pm I am also seeing a problem with the
  • formatting when I have multiple items.
Try list with * before each item:

Code:

Code: Select all

[list]
[*]One
[*]Two
[/list]
Rendered by forum:
  • One
  • Two
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Nothing changed on how to do a list. The icons in the post editor changed, that's about it.

Hover you cursor over each button in the post editing toolbar to see its corresponding "tool tip".

You can practice here: Please Try Out Test Posts Here
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

In the time since the upgrade, I've been exchanging private messages with another forum participant.

The site has not been sending me an e-mail to tell me that a new incoming PM is waiting to be claimed. It always did so in the past.

Thanks for all you do, and for troubleshooting these latest small glitches.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Click on the Notifications link to get the drop-down menu. The top link is Settings (this is a generic link which will go to the User Control Panel of the member who clicks on it).

The last setting is "Someone sends you a private message". Be sure that the "Email" column is checked. To be sure, uncheck it, then check it again, Submit.

If this doesn't work, send me a PM and I can troubleshoot this further.
iceport

Post by iceport »

I noticed the list of registered users who are logged in, previously visible at the bottom of each page, is no longer visible without being logged in. Is that a setting that will be reset, or is that just the way it will be after the upgrade?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?

Likewise with the red page icons that show up next to some threads?

The blue theme of Bogleheads is relaxing and conducive to good thought.

The red is alarming.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

iceport wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 pm I noticed the list of registered users who are logged in, previously visible at the bottom of each page, is no longer visible without being logged in. Is that a setting that will be reset, or is that just the way it will be after the upgrade?
I didn't change anything, so I'm guessing it's a new feature.
azurekep wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?

Likewise with the red page icons that show up next to some threads?

The blue theme of Bogleheads is relaxing and conducive to good thought.

The red is alarming.
Sorry, there's no way to change the icons. I defer to the phpBB developers for theme development, as they "battle test" the software against every conceivable browser and device (at least that's what I hope they do). What looks good to one person, is problematic for another. We stick with the "stock" configuration for that reason.