Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
sport

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by sport »

dratkinson wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:34 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm Would be great to have an ignore/hide thread button, so you could have a thread stop showing in your list/homepage whenever it gets a new reply.
Can select "Unsubscribe topic" in the tools list adjacent to either "Post Reply" button. Then you stop getting notifications of a new reply.
However, this will not stop it from showing up in "Your Posts". I would like to hide some of those too.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm Would be great to have an ignore/hide thread button, so you could have a thread stop showing in your list/homepage whenever it gets a new reply.
Can select "Unsubscribe topic" in the tools list adjacent to either "Post Reply" button. Then you stop getting notifications of a new reply.
Yep, still bumps to the top of the homepage tho. Los of other sites have an ignore button, just thought I'd mention it.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:59 pm
Yep, still bumps to the top of the homepage tho. Los of other sites have an ignore button, just thought I'd mention it.
A "feature" of seeing old posts to which you've replied, but no longer subscribed, is you get to see someone come back several years later and say, "Thanks BHs. I followed your advice and went from negative net worth to $xxxK in x-years." It's kinda a nice warm fuzzy feature.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.3. This is a routine maintenance update.

The majority of the changes are "under the hood" and not visible.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Leif

Post by Leif »

sport wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:49 pm
However, this will not stop it from showing up in "Your Posts". I would like to hide some of those too.
That would be a great feature. These long, continuous threads, for which I'm no longer interested, for years in some cases, clog up my "Your Posts". Due to that sometimes I decide not to contribute.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The home page and forum have been revised. See: Subject: How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar? [a.k.a. Calendar of Events]
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:06 pm The site owners have approved the changes, we're now "live".

The site home page has added a Calendar of Events link under the blog section (desktop view only). (We also removed the "Latest updates" from the wiki section.)

Readers will see a new "Calendar of Events" link in the Board index. This is the landing page for those who don't use the site home page.
Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Subforums: US Chapters, Non-US Chapters, Calendar of Events
Clicking on Community or Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community will show a new entry:
Image Calendar of Events
A calendar of Bogleheads chapter meetings, conferences, and related events.
Thanks to the members who assisted with reviewing these changes.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Documenting the site migration here: Site Migration - 2021-02-09 at 05:30 EST [Site offline]
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

What about forming a subforum to capture discussions on Active investing, individual stocks, market timing, BTC/Crypto, Triple-leveraged strategies, etc? And have those threads be separated out from the main page showing?

Currently I would argue that it might be difficult for new folks to tune out the noise. Tuning out the noise less of a problem for seasoned Bogleheads, although I suspect some of them are being impacted too.

See discussion here: viewtopic.php?p=5806050#p5806050
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:53 pm What about forming a subforum to capture discussions on Active investing, individual stocks, market timing, BTC/Crypto, Triple-leveraged strategies, etc? And have those threads be separated out from the main page showing?

Currently I would argue that it might be difficult for new folks to tune out the noise. Tuning out the noise less of a problem for seasoned Bogleheads, although I suspect some of them are being impacted too.

All these requests are the same: for everyone who'd like the forum to be organized one way or another, one (or two) other people wouldn't.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Requests for new subforums should be made in a new thread (this forum).
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:53 pm What about forming a subforum to capture discussions on Active investing, individual stocks, market timing, BTC/Crypto, Triple-leveraged strategies, etc? And have those threads be separated out from the main page showing?

Those forums should already exist.
Search: https://www.google.com/search?&q=forum+ ... strategies
Pegasus_RPG

Post by Pegasus_RPG »

Request: Make post dates show up in bold and yellow if older than a year and red if older than five years. (Time frames negotiable.) The goal being to make current would-be reply-ers aware that they're replying to old posts in a necro'ed thread. Is something like this possible?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, I don't see anything that would work with the forum software. We only use extensions that have been vetted by the developers.

Remember that members post updates all the time. Information posted more than a year ago will still be relevant. You don't want to ignore posts simply because they're old.

Another aspect is that you need to understand that the color change means something.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

The site has regularly been crashing, at least 5 times the past month and twice the past 3 days.

Just happened 5 minutes ago

Confirmed with downforeveryoneorjustme
1 fund
mingstar
Founder

Post by mingstar »

Thanks for the reports. Without them, it's hard to identify problems.

In response to your report, I took a look at the logs and see a few cases in which one of the "back-end" servers has been "overwhelmed" by a large number of requests and it didn't respond within the "timeout" period configured on the "front-end." This causes the front-end to return an error to the client (i.e., your browser). I also saw cases where all of the servers reached their "peak" number of clients and so requests were queued and, once again, the timeout expired and an error was returned to the client.

The timeouts are arbitrary. I picked numbers "out of the air" that seemed reasonable but, clearly, they were too aggressive.

I've tweaked the settings a bit and will have a program watching the logs today. If I see problems, I'll try to address them quickly.

We didn't see this kind of issue on the old server because there were NO timeouts or limits. Also, the server was much larger. We're still learning what it takes to make this new environment as stable as it was in the old environment. Even last night, we figured out how to work around one of the "low level" issues in the new configuration.

If you notice an anomaly, it would be REALLY helpful if you would include an accurate time in your reports. We're handling millions of events each day so knowing the time helps narrow our focus. It's still sometimes like looking for a needle in a haystack but an accurate timestamp can reduce the size of the haystack. If you're willing to include your IP address (google "what's my ip") in the report, even if you use a private message to 'mingstar' to relay the information to me, that can also help us identify the specific issue more quickly.

Please stay with us and keep the reports coming. We hear you.

Larry
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

At 7:26 MST loading viewforum.php?f=11 took ~ 20 seconds and then when I marked forum read I got an AJAX ERROR - Bad Gateway.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mingstar wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 am If you're willing to include your IP address (google "what's my ip") in the report, even if you use a private message to 'mingstar' to relay the information to me, that can also help us identify the specific issue more quickly.
FYI - I'm helping mingstar. If you send a PM and don't get a response, PM me the info and I'll pass it along.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Not a huge problem but the site seems to be slower than usual.

Around 8:45-8:55 PM Eastern timeframe, from my Android phone (Pixel 4g) I first noticed intermittent slow page loads (at least several seconds) on the home page https://www.bogleheads.org/ and various threads.

So I went to my Windows 10 desktop + Chrome and noticed loading the home page (https://www.bogleheads.org/) took 9 seconds. According to Chrome debugger/network tab, the "Connection Start" has times of:
Stalled: 4.37 ms
DNS Lookup: 30 us
Initial connection: 8.89 s
SSL: 8.82 s

So SSL processing in particular may be slow?

I also see the "Waiting (TimeToFirstByte)" is around 750 msec. I don't know if that's typical or not.

I tried this multiple times. One in particular is around 9:10:05 PM Eastern.

I'll PM you my IP address. Let me know if there's more info I can gather.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Another data point. I'm seeing the same type of behaviour for the past couple of hours.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
mingstar
Founder

Post by mingstar »

Thanks sycamore and peculiar_investor,

I'm looking at stats now.

The load on the primary server/front-end is "normal" with a load average of 5 (out of 8 CPUs) and 20-50% idle time (more than one cpu is always idle).

I don't see any errors with SSL handling. Looking at the slow negotiation times.

Average page request service time for the forum are uniformly under 250 milliseconds.

There are no "failed" requests (5xx) HTTP codes.

Overall, things look "normal" but, the slow SSL handshake is a problem.

We hear you,

Larry
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

What if one wanted to post a question (probably in a new thread) but have it screened first by a moderator first to avoid violating forum rules if there was doubt if it was appropriate?
Or maybe request moderator advice on editing a question to make sure it complied with forum guidelines? Thank you.
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

mingstar wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm There are no "failed" requests (5xx) HTTP codes.
I was seeing a bunch of 503's last night.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
mingstar
Founder

Post by mingstar »

Apologies folks, I got caught off base again.

Last night, I noticed that of the processes was reporting a "non-fatal" error on an operation. I started making the changes to the configuration to remedy the situation but, since we were in "prime time" and the error was benign and it required restarting all of the web server processes, I decided to wait until the wee hours to finish the job.

Unfortunately, I forgot that the system automatically reloads the configuration files when it rotates the log files.

When that happened, the configuration was incomplete and it took the site down.

I got up to finish the job and found it that way.

We were down for several hours.

I'm really sorry.

Larry
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mingstar wrote: We were down for several hours.
I'm really sorry.
Larry
Oh Larry! Don't be sorry -we're so grateful for all you do - and especially in the middle of the night, we're so very grateful (and pretty impressed :D )
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

rgs92 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 pm What if one wanted to post a question (probably in a new thread) but have it screened first by a moderator first to avoid violating forum rules if there was doubt if it was appropriate?
Or maybe request moderator advice on editing a question to make sure it complied with forum guidelines? Thank you.
PM your question to the moderator before posting.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Larry, having had to get out of bed many times in my career to address server (and other) problems, I definitely feel your pain. Thank you, sir, for keeping us on the air.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Another one yesterday. 503 error
1 fund
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Was I the only one to encounter the shutdown yesterday 11pm + 2 hours? 803 or 836 something error. Confirmed on downforeveryone. I’d know the numbered error but am on mobile at the moment
1 fund
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

dru808 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:40 pm Was I the only one to encounter the shutdown yesterday 11pm + 2 hours? 803 or 836 something error. Confirmed on downforeveryone. I’d know the numbered error but am on mobile at the moment
I saw some database type errors displaying as well.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Saw the similar thing last night, error is related to diskspace issue, can't remember the exact error code right now.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jarjarM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm Saw the similar thing last night, error is related to diskspace issue, can't remember the exact error code right now.
Probably this right? viewtopic.php?p=5858211
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:54 pm
jarjarM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm Saw the similar thing last night, error is related to diskspace issue, can't remember the exact error code right now.
Probably this right? viewtopic.php?p=5858211
Yup, didn't see that thread. Thanks.
Elric

Post by Elric »

dratkinson wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Those forums should already exist.
Search: https://www.google.com/search?&q=forum+ ... strategies
Yes, but nevertheless those topics also show up here. I really don't care either way, but if one went this way, the forum names could start with "off-topic: "
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Can you please put the link to starting a thread somewhere obvious. Darn if I can find it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, we use the "stock" layout and won't be relocating any links.

You start a thread by viewing its forum, e.g. Personal Investments. Under the forum's title (top left side, just under the menu) is a button "New Topic". Click that button to start a new thread - called a "Topic" by this forum software.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Bug report: on screen rendering issue
Viewing New Posts (and Your Posts, Unread Posts, Active Topics) in Brave browser at some levels of zoom-in results in incorrect appearance of some of the topics in the list. There is a title line and an author-date-time-which_forum line. When the error is present, both of those are on top of each other.
I don't see the problem in the "Unanswered topics" one.
I don't see the problem if I surf to Board Index, then any of Personal Investments, Investing-Theory, or Personal Finance and then look at a list of topics there.
I don't see the problem with Chrome or Firefox.
Zoom way out or way in (e.g. Cntr-scroll wheel): the problem is not there.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Brave browser is based on Chrome. I can reproduce the error in Chrome when I zoom to 150%.

We're using the 'stock' phpBB software and I checked another site which uses the same software - the phpBB • Support Forums. I can reproduce the error in that forum, so it's not just us.

If the site which is run by the developers has the problem, I'm guessing there's not much they can do about it. That's not a good answer, but making a User Interface that works at all zoom levels for all browsers is not trivial.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Ah. I can reproduce it in Chrome as well. Thanks. Anyway, the workaround is quick and easy: just zoom a little
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

GrowthSeeker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:42 pm Bug report: on screen rendering issue
Viewing New Posts (and Your Posts, Unread Posts, Active Topics) in Brave browser at some levels of zoom-in results in incorrect appearance of some of the topics in the list. There is a title line and an author-date-time-which_forum line. When the error is present, both of those are on top of each other. ...
Data points.

I'm not seeing the problems here (recycled 27" Acer, Chrome, 150% zoom).

However, at 200% zoom, in some title boxes, all of the text is compressed to 1-2 lines.

Thanks for the heads up and fix.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

A bug report has been created on the phpBB bug tracker website. Many forum users are reporting similar problems.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Just a simple question. When submitting an admin alert, I always select the “notify me” option. However, the last 10 or so times I’ve submitted one, I got no such notification.

Is this simply because my reports were simple and the admins did write up a reply (which is fine, they really were minor), or is this a bug and the notification isn’t going out?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

By "admin alert", do you mean that you reported a post? Reporting a post gets the mods' attention. It's the ! in the top-right corner of the post.

You should get a notification that the report was closed.

Notifications are set in the User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link, goes to your control panel) --> "Your report on a post is closed by a moderator" should have the "email" box checked.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm By "admin alert", do you mean that you reported a post? Reporting a post gets the mods' attention. It's the ! in the top-right corner of the post.

You should get a notification that the report was closed.

Notifications are set in the User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link, goes to your control panel) --> "Your report on a post is closed by a moderator" should have the "email" box checked.
Thanks LadyGeek. That was it, email wasn’t checked. I don’t recall when I stopped getting things as I rarely report a post. Usually it’s when there is a duplicate and often I click it and get told the post has already been reported. I appreciate you outlining the notification to enable.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Request Question, maybe?

Sorry if this doesn't fall into a specific request, but maybe more of a question that could lead to a request. I'm not sure if phpBB forum software allows this, but are moderators able to "Sticky" a note or post at the begging of cthreads?

I ask, because of the recent crypto ban policy. If new users come to the forum and find those threads, they might end up reading through pages and pages of varying advice that as a whole has been banned from the forum. If the topic ended up being panned, it might help those users to see a first sticky post in the thread noting that ban of the topic and maybe a link to the policy.

This could maybe extend to other posts that get locked also if it can be worked out, although I know that would probably add more work to the moderators to make it more expensive. But I think for banned topics it might not be a bad idea?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That's a good point. It boils down to the efforts of the moderators.

Actually, we already post a notice in threads that have been merged, or in old posts that have been recently bumped. This is done by simply editing the first post in the thread - no software updates are needed.

May I suggest members report the locked thread to add a note to the first post? I posted a note at the end of the thread, but perhaps something in the first post might help as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Update: I've inserted a message in the first post of cryptocurrency threads that span more than one page. (All threads have the lock message at the end of the thread.) If we've missed any, please report the post.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Thank you for the fast reply and response! I just hope that helps any new viewers to threads on topics that were eventually outright banned (not just locked because they ran their course). Some of those had a lot of posts, and I was just imagining being a new user reading through all of it for advice then getting to the end and seeing a locked warning ;)
Elric

Post by Elric »

runninginvestor wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:10 am Request Question, maybe?

Sorry if this doesn't fall into a specific request, but maybe more of a question that could lead to a request. I'm not sure if phpBB forum software allows this, but are moderators able to "Sticky" a note or post at the begging of cthreads?

I ask, because of the recent crypto ban policy. If new users come to the forum and find those threads, they might end up reading through pages and pages of varying advice that as a whole has been banned from the forum. If the topic ended up being panned, it might help those users to see a first sticky post in the thread noting that ban of the topic and maybe a link to the policy.
I'd much prefer (and be quite satisfied with) a sticky post or a first post in a thread that discusses non-Boglehead (allegedly "greater fool") types of investments than the outright ban that was just enacted. The message could have standard language that the type if investment being discussed in contrary to the principles espoused by the forum.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

LadyGeek consolidated two of my posts in someone else's thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=349785). That thread doesn't show up in self-search (search.php?search_id=egosearch), but the two posts show up if I search using "Search User's Posts" in my profile. It looks like moderator migration of a post defeats the egosearch pathway? Not a huge deal, just though I'd mention it.

[edit: it reappeared under egosearch when I edited one of my posts in the thread]
anoop

Post by anoop »

We often get repeat posts and then someone manually posts something like this:
viewtopic.php?p=6094655#p6094655

Several other forums that I participate in have a feature where, based on the subject line, they will suggest threads where a similar discussion may already be happening or have happened.

Is this something that can be added?

For example, if I go to
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macbook-air.122/
and try to create a new post and type "eyestrain" in the subject line, I see:

Is this already being discussed?

Other This is why I will not buy iPhone 12: OLED = PWM
I just hate how Apple is not understanding How serious is the argument here. They still use OLED...

Anybody getting eye strain on M1 MacBook Air?
I am starting to get some eye strain while using M1 MacBook Air. Can anybody confirm if is...

PSA - MBP 8/8/512 Returned Due To Eyestrain - PWM Present
Upfront and to be clear - I did not scientifically measure the display for PWM. However, I have...

iPhone 12 Pro For PWM eyestrain group, I found a new site
https://ledstrain.org/d/1005-looking-fo ... le-devices...

Question to Dell UP2715K owners: Feelings of nausea
I've recently picked up a Dell UP2715K 5120×2880 monitor (Revision A01; manufacture date August...