Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
FactualFran

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by FactualFran »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm I tried quoting your post, but the BBCode interpreter could not handle the format you've shown. (Everything after the first BBCode resulted in an underlined link.) The BBCode displayed in your post is not what you've used. Also, I don't see the extra line breaks in your example post.
That's right, the BBCode displayed in my post is not exactly what I used. It has the form of what I used, plus something so that it would not be interpreted as BBCode, but would accurately display the form of what I wrote.
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm As for modifying CSS, we don't have the resources to test the many, many browser and device configurations supported by this software. For this reason, we must stick with the "stock" configuration. It's not the best way to do things, but it works.

If this doesn't fix your problem, feel free to supply a few detailed examples in Please Try Out Test Posts Here and we'll work through them.
If you stick to the "stock" configuration, then please forward the problem report to the person responsible for the "stock" configuration.

An example is at the URL I posted. Here is the URL again: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=253203&newpost=4004280#p4004314

If you prefer the example to be in this post, here it is in a block quote (to make it distinct from the rest of the text I'm writing in this post).
Please read The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom Lessons We Should Have Learned before the Bear Market Arrived, but are Only Learning Now remarks that Bogle made in 2001 at a time much closer to what he did.
As I wrote in my previous post here, there are unexpected line breaks before and after the title of what is being linked to. The title should be inline. There is also an unexpected line drawn below the last line of the title of what is being linked to.

With an artificially shorten title, as in
Please read Not the title remarks that Bogle made in 2001 at a time much closer to what he did.
the title is inline, as it should be, but with the added, and in my opinion unnecessary, line below the title.
Choy

[Feature Request] Add Apple iOS meta tags

Post by Choy »

Can you add Apple meta tags to the site so that when a person using iOS saves the site to their home screen it opens in full screen mode as a standalone app?

Currently adding it to the home screen just opens the site in normal Safari mode.

https://developer.apple.com/library/arc ... aTags.html
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Sorry for the delay to reply. I merged your post into the "requests" thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, adding meta tags or other support specific to Apple, Android, etc. won't be implemented. Due to a very limited amount of resources, we need to stick with the "stock" released software.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated from phpBB 3.2.2 to 3.2.3, which is a maintenance release.

There is one change visible to readers:
More visible links to privacy policy and terms - Links to privacy policy and terms of use are prominently displayed in the footer.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and note the new entries under our disclaimer:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Starting a week or two ago the notifications menu doesn't drop down on mobile for me anymore (tested on Chrome iOS and Safari iOS). I just see a triangle like in the screenshot. Works fine on desktop.

87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

randomizer wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 am Starting a week or two ago the notifications menu doesn't drop down on mobile for me anymore (tested on Chrome iOS and Safari iOS). I just see a triangle like in the screenshot. Works fine on desktop.

I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour using Chrome on iOS 12.01.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Perhaps this is related to the OS or browser?

I don't see this behavior on Android 8.1 with Chrome 69.0.3497.100. The notifications drop-down work as expected.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Don't think is OS or browser, but rather mobile device size. I can reproduce this using Chrome's Inspect Element tool if I set my device to iPhone 5/SE (320px wide) but it works properly on iPhone 6/7/8 (375px wide).
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 am I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour using Chrome on iOS 12.01.
Device is iPhone SE.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm Don't think is OS or browser, but rather mobile device size. I can reproduce this using Chrome's Inspect Element tool if I set my device to iPhone 5/SE (320px wide) but it works properly on iPhone 6/7/8 (375px wide).
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 am I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour using Chrome on iOS 12.01.
Device is iPhone SE.
By jove I think you've got it!
mrc

Post by mrc »

randomizer wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 pm
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm Don't think is OS or browser, but rather mobile device size. I can reproduce this using Chrome's Inspect Element tool if I set my device to iPhone 5/SE (320px wide) but it works properly on iPhone 6/7/8 (375px wide).
Device is iPhone SE.
By jove I think you've got it!
Yep. I see the element disappear at 339 px and reappear at 340 px.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

At least the workaround is easy enough. (Just rotate the phone.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mrc wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm Yep. I see the element disappear at 339 px and reappear at 340 px.
On a desktop with Chrome's Inspect Element tool in "Responsive mode", I see the element disappear at 350 px and reappear at 351 px.

Rotating the phone is a good workaround.

==================
Thanks to randomizer for finding the bug and the workaround, and to Peculiar_Investor for finding out what caused it.

My guess: This is a bug that will be fixed in the next software update. I'll investigate.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ It's fixed.

The forum software has been updated to phpBB version 3.2.4, which is a maintenance and security release.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Wanted to feedback on the Bogleheads.org main page time off by an hour. Please see

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=264982
My signature has been deleted.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The home page is working as it should, I replied here: Re: Bogleheads.org main page time off by an hour
sassy_penguin

Post by sassy_penguin »

Per LadyGeek sharing the link to here, I wanted to note my interest in the ability to show fewer posts per page in the threads. It is not a deal-breaker, and I will continue to come to the site regardless, but it would be a definite nice-to-have.

Also, thank you for all your help in making this site run so well!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. As noted in this post, it's a site owner decision, which includes seeing if the feature is worthwhile and the amount of extra maintenance required.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB version 3.2.5, which is a maintenance release.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

By popular request, the forum software has been modified to highlight the Original Poster. See: [Forum software update] Tracking the Original Poster in a thread

Not related to the forum software, the following site pages were also updated:

Suggested Reading | Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info
  • Added Taylor Larimore's "The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"
About Us | Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info
  • Added Rick Ferri's podcast and our Bogleheads' blog (Financial Page)
  • Added Taylor Larimore's "The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

The post times on the main page (www.boglehead.org) are 1 hour less than the times in the actual posts.
prudent

Post by prudent »

tadamsmar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 am The post times on the main page (www.boglehead.org) are 1 hour less than the times in the actual posts.
See LadyGeek's post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=264982&p=4233190#p4233190
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

When an external link is put into a post, using , it sends the user out of the forum when clicked on. I believe this is a reference to how to change the settings in the forum software to open a new page/browser tab instead - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 am When an external link is put into a post, using , it sends the user out of the forum when clicked on. I believe this is a reference to how to change the settings in the forum software to open a new page/browser tab instead - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/
This has been discussed before I believe. The current behavior is the more desired one. I personally HATE when links pop new tabs or windows. If I want that, I know how to do it (Ctrl-click for Firefox on Windows).
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 am When an external link is put into a post, using , it sends the user out of the forum when clicked on. I believe this is a reference to how to change the settings in the forum software to open a new page/browser tab instead - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/
This has been discussed before I believe. The current behavior is the more desired one. I personally HATE when links pop new tabs or windows. If I want that, I know how to do it (Ctrl-click for Firefox on Windows).
From the viewpoint of web design, you never want someone sent out of your site, it totally destroys funnel, showing how a person lands on the site and flows through it. Of course that's not the goal of this forum, but regardless having a user taken out of the site is never desirable from a design standpoint. At best, you'd want to warn them "you're about to leave" or give them the option to open a new tab.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

Is there an feature/option that triggers a thread to be marked as "unread" when someone edits a post in that thread? Without that feature, it is difficult to know about an edited post unless the editor posts a new reply in the thread, saying they edited their post. Or is there some other way to know about edited posts?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jimmyg, Welcome! Sorry, but there's no way to trigger a thread to be "unread" unless a new post a created.

You can see a "Last edited by (member) on (date), edited x times in total." at the bottom of a post when a member edits it, but you have to read the thread and look for it.
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

LadyGeek, thanks for the welcome! This forum has tons of useful information and I am learning a lot!

I've already made it a habit to search for "edited by" to make sure I catch edited posts in threads I am interested in, and I try to note the last few times I logged in, so I know if I already read a recently-edited post based on its timestamp.

The tough part is trying to remember what changed in the edited post if the author doesn't say what content was edited--and if nobody creates a new post in a thread I am interested in, then I won't know to go searching for possible edited posts in that thread... :mrgreen:
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:21 pm From the viewpoint of web design, you never want someone sent out of your site, it totally destroys funnel, showing how a person lands on the site and flows through it. Of course that's not the goal of this forum, but regardless having a user taken out of the site is never desirable from a design standpoint. At best, you'd want to warn them "you're about to leave" or give them the option to open a new tab.
That might be true for a commercial site that puts its desire to make sales over the preferences of the user, but it's not a general principle in web design. Most information web sites don't work that way. For example, Wikipedia.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

jimmyg wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm LadyGeek, thanks for the welcome! This forum has tons of useful information and I am learning a lot!

I've already made it a habit to search for "edited by" to make sure I catch edited posts in threads I am interested in, and I try to note the last few times I logged in, so I know if I already read a recently-edited post based on its timestamp.

The tough part is trying to remember what changed in the edited post if the author doesn't say what content was edited--and if nobody creates a new post in a thread I am interested in, then I won't know to go searching for possible edited posts in that thread... :mrgreen:
Under Quick Links, click on New Posts.
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm
jimmyg wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm LadyGeek, thanks for the welcome! This forum has tons of useful information and I am learning a lot!

Thanks for the suggestion! I might have made things a bit confusing with the words I used above, but one of the things I am looking for are "stealth" edits in threads that I've read through before. Unsure if editing a post causes its thread to appear in the New Posts link.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

jimmyg wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:47 am
Thanks for the suggestion! I might have made things a bit confusing with the words I used above, but one of the things I am looking for are "stealth" edits in threads that I've read through before. Unsure if editing a post causes its thread to appear in the New Posts link.
If you like go to this thread.
Please Try Out Test Posts Here
Then reply to this and if I'm online I'll edit it and message you so you can check.

If I'm not online perhaps someone else will volunteer.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

If a new post is added to a thread, it will show up. If someone edits their already existing post in a thread, it will not show up.
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:33 am
If you like go to this thread.
Please Try Out Test Posts Here
Then reply to this and if I'm online I'll edit it and message you so you can check.

If I'm not online perhaps someone else will volunteer.
I went to that "Test" thread and saw your post there. I doubt that thread will show up in the New Posts link if you edit your post (unless someone also happens to create a new post there :mrgreen:), but if you feel like testing it out anyway, please make the edit when you have a chance. Thanks!
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 am

If a new post is added to a thread, it will show up. If someone edits their already existing post in a thread, it will not show up.
That's what I was thinking but not 100% sure of. I usually read threads that interest me, then click on "Mark topics read", so everything is clean for the next time I log in. Ideally, an edited post would flag its thread as unread, so that it sticks out like a sore thumb (i.e., not with the block of threads with unread posts) the next time I log in.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

jimmyg wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 pm
I went to that "Test" thread and saw your post there. I doubt that thread will show up in the New Posts link if you edit your post (unless someone also happens to create a new post there :mrgreen:), but if you feel like testing it out anyway, please make the edit when you have a chance. Thanks!
Edit made.
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:18 am
jimmyg wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 pm
Edit made.
As expected, the "Please Try Out Test Posts Here" thread did not appear in the New Posts or Unread Posts quick links. The little page "unread post" indicator for the edited post remained "off" (i.e., non-red). The "unread posts" circular indicator for the "Please Try Out Test Posts Here" thread remained non-red and there was no red little page "unread post" indicator.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I cannot think of a forum I frequent where if someone edits an existing post that it would show up.

Replying to an existing thread shows up as I expect.
PGR

Post by PGR »

Feature Request: IGNORE Member

On other forums I see this sometimes where you can flag an individual to be 'ignored' and you don't have to see their posts anymore.

For example there may be a forum member who is a very frequent poster say 15 times or so a day but not particularly constructive, habitually saying more or less the same thing over and over again. Nothing wrong with that per se but nothing particularly constructive either. You click 'ignore' for that user ID as a personal preference and you don't see that persons posts any more. Voila - the signal-to-noise ratio is improved. Oh you might still see their posts if quoted by another member but still...

Thanks for considering this feature request,
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

PGR wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 pm Feature Request: IGNORE Member
That has been previously requested, Ignore list?. Previous answer,
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:04 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:05 am
MN-Investor wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 am I post on a different site which uses this forum software. In the User Control Panel is a tab for Friends and Foes. On the other site, I can designate another user as a Foe and their posts will, by default, be hidden. It doesn’t look like the Administrators here have enabled that feature.
Or it might be a 3rd party extension. Such as this one:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ends_foes/
To be clear, the site owners do not want this feature enabled. This decision won't change.
Elric

Post by Elric »

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'd love to see up-voting. It DOES convey meaningful additional information, and is far more compact then the reply with quote +1 that serves the same purpose far less elegantly.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's come up before. The discussion is here: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

(The answer will not change. "Like" buttons will not be added.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.7.

(Version 3.2.6 was skipped due to unexpected bugs. The developers fixed the bugs and released version 3.2.7 one week later.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.2.8.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I just stumbled across this thread. One thing I wish would happen, since I save tabs with threads I am interested in, is if I clicked on the thread title or reloaded (either one would do) the posts since I last put the thread in the tab would appear. Now in order to update it, unless I am missing some other way, I have to go back to the forum, search for the title, and click on that.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

fru-gal wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 pm I just stumbled across this thread. One thing I wish would happen, since I save tabs with threads I am interested in, is if I clicked on the thread title or reloaded (either one would do) the posts since I last put the thread in the tab would appear. Now in order to update it, unless I am missing some other way, I have to go back to the forum, search for the title, and click on that.
You can subscribe to this/any topic (tools below) and will be notified when a new reply is received. So there is no need to keep open tabs of low-volatility topics.

But on the other hand, you are automatically subscribed to any topic to which you reply. So... never mind.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

dratkinson wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm But on the other hand, you are automatically subscribed to any topic to which you reply. So... never mind.
Not automatic, it depends on your settings in User Control Panel->Board preferences->Edit posting defaults
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ This is a generic link which goes to your own User Control Panel (must be logged in).

"Notify me upon replies by default:" should be set to Yes.

From the phpBB • 3.2 User Guide:
NOTIFY ME UPON REPLIES BY DEFAULT: When YES is selected, you will be notified by email when a reply to your post is made.
Also, any topic that you've posted in will show up as an unread post in Your posts. Look for a little red icon to the left of the topic title.
lizardbrn

Post by lizardbrn »

Any idea why unsubscribe from a specific topic results in:

"An error occurred while trying to unsubscribe."

Ex. viewtopic.php?uid=138390&f=2&t=292731&unwatch=topic

Are you sure you wish to unsubscribe from this forum? Yes/No

Clicking 'Yes' results in "An error occurred while trying to unsubscribe."
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I haven't gone through all ten pages. I looked for a place to bring up issues when all of a sudden the font size dropped. I use an iPhone and safari. The font is now ridiculously small. Often I flip the phone landscape to get a bigger view but now the forum layout changes with titles off to the side.

Perhaps this user needs educating, but I am almost entirely on mobile and at first glance this is awful.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

JBTX wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:09 am I haven't gone through all ten pages. I looked for a place to bring up issues when all of a sudden the font size dropped. I use an iPhone and safari. The font is now ridiculously small. Often I flip the phone landscape to get a bigger view but now the forum layout changes with titles off to the side.

Perhaps this user needs educating, but I am almost entirely on mobile and at first glance this is awful.
Have you tried zooming in? I have this forum set at 120% magnification to bring the fonts up to a readable size for me.