Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
retiredjg

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by retiredjg »

Update on email notifications - still getting random notifications from Sunday (even though I've read the threads). Got only 1 notification for today.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Starting to get some notifications that are actually current. :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's good news. About 2 hours ago, I made a change that should help email notifications. I assume the change would only effect email notifications from that time forward.

To those with the problem, have email notifications resumed?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I'm still getting some from Sunday. And some from today. Mixed bag for me.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm ^^^ That's good news. About 2 hours ago, I made a change that should help email notifications. I assume the change would only effect email notifications from that time forward.

I get lots of redundant notifications for "unread" posts but the link takes me to posts I have already read.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You may be getting old notifications. My guess is this "change" freed up the older notifications and the server is clearing them out.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm You may be getting old notifications. My guess is this "change" freed up the older notifications and the server is clearing them out.
Makes sense. Will probably sort itself out soon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mnaspbh

Post by mnaspbh »

Using the "preview" button has deleted an in-progress post twice now for me. Both times it bounced me through the login screen and then returned me to a blank posting window. It was perplexing as I was already logged in. Is there a new login or posting timeout setting somewhere?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There's no change in the login process.

Be sure you check the "Remember me" box at login. Otherwise, you'll be asked to login when you post - that might be the culprit.

Tip: If it's a long post, save your work in a separate text editor. If anything happens, you'll have a copy of the post.
mrc

Post by mrc »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm ^^^ That's good news. About 2 hours ago, I made a change that should help email notifications. I assume the change would only effect email notifications from that time forward.

I believe so. I'll post if notifications get behind again. Thanks!
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
mrc

Post by mrc »

mrc wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 am

I believe so. I'll post if notifications get behind again. Thanks!
Just now received two old notifications — from Sunday 2:35PM & 3:16PM. Sure looks like procmail digging through a queue backlog :happy.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Another update. I am now getting email updates when I should. That seems normal right now. :D

I'm also getting some from Sunday - often the same ones I got yesterday or the day before.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

The new platform is now automatically inserting a bullet symbol in the first paragraph of a [ list ] ... [ /list] series whether you want it or not. The old platform did not do that. In the past I've used [ list ] and [ /list ] as a substitute for
[ indent ] and [ /indent]
... that is available in BBcode in a lot of other platforms in order to make long posts with math examples more readable.

For example:

This is a normal paragraph. The next paragraph is offset by [ list. ]. In the old platform there would not be a bullet for paragraph 1 or the subparagraph(s) unless the [ * ] code was used.
  • paragraph 1 in list
    paragraph 2 in list following is another [ list]
    • subparagraph1 for paragraph2
      subparagraph2 for paragraph2
      subparagraph3 for paragraph2 terminated with [ /list]
    paragraph 3 in list. this contains [ /list]
Next line after [ /list ]

The bullets would not be in the above list paragraphs in the old platform.

My guess is this is in the program code itself, rather than an administrative menu option, so it may not be something easily fixed. (I can still use it to visibly separate the math examples from the text)

However, is the [ indent ] ... [ /indent ] an option for the BBcode in this platform?

jimb
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

jimb_fromATL wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 am The new platform is now automatically inserting a bullet symbol in the first paragraph of a [ list ] ... [ /list] series whether you want it or not. The old platform did not do that. In the past I've used [ list ] and [ /list ] as a substitute for
... that is available in BBcode in a lot of other platforms in order to make long posts with math examples more readable.
This was already covered in another post. Use list=none to get rid of the bullet points. Here's the post detailing the syntax: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&start=300#p3490950
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 am
jimb_fromATL wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 am The new platform is now automatically inserting a bullet symbol in the first paragraph of a [ list ] ... [ /list] series whether you want it or not. The old platform did not do that. In the past I've used [ list ] and [ /list ] as a substitute for
This was already covered in another post. Use list=none to get rid of the bullet points. Here's the post detailing the syntax: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&start=300#p3490950
Thanks. I missed that.

jimb
iceport

Post by iceport »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm To those with the problem, have email notifications resumed?
I wouldn't call them "resumed." Yesterday (Tuesday) morning I received two notices from Sunday, two days late. I have yet to receive any from Monday, and it's now Wednesday.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
mrc

Post by mrc »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm To those with the problem, have email notifications resumed?
Presently I'm receiving notifications for current updates to subscribed topics (yay!), and I'm also still receiving notifications from Sunday (5:15PM this time). The backlog time stamps are increasing.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks for the info, it's helpful. My guess is the server was saving all the emails until I made that change.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm ^^^ Thanks for the info, it's helpful. My guess is the server was saving all the emails until I made that change.
I think things are still not fully sorted out. I got an email about unread posts earlier today (16th). It was dated the 13th.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

This is new since the last upgrade - I cannot create and post a reply without other coding-type characters appearing in my "post a reply" window, and these characters carry over to the "preview" pane and into the "post." If I delete the characters, they come back.

Here is an example. I copied this from the "post a reply" window from a post I am working on now: (I highlighted in blue the new characters)

Looks like you don't need to put up with that job. When you have <I><s></s>the talk<e></e></I> with the boss, tell him it's been a pleasure, thanks for the job, for the pay, and for the 401k - but you're outta there <E>8-)</E> <br/>
<br/>

(please see next post when I disable BBCode to show you behind the scenes)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

<r>This is new since the last upgrade - I cannot create and post a reply without other coding-type characters appearing in my "post a reply" window, and these characters carry over to the "preview" pane and into the "post." If I delete the characters, they come back.<br/>
<br/>
Here is an example. I copied this from the "post a reply" window from a post I am working on now: (I highlighted in blue the new characters)<br/>
<br/>
Looks like you don't need to put up with that job. When you have <COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s><I><s><e>[/color]</e></COLOR><I><s>[i]</s><COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s></s><e>[/color]</e></COLOR>the talk<COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s><e><e>[/color]</e></COLOR><e>[/i]</e></I><COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s></e></I><e>[/color]</e></COLOR> with the boss, tell him it's been a pleasure, thanks for the job, for the pay, and for the 401k - but you're outta there <COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s> <E><e>[/color]</e></COLOR><E>8-)</E><COLOR color="#0000FF"><s>[color=#0000FF]</s></E> <br/><br/>
<br/><e>[/color]</e></COLOR></r>

===>> I was able to disable BBCode to show you what I see happening
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Those are HTML characters, which I recognize - but the forum software does not. :)

The only way I can see this happening is that you are typing a post inside a word processor (like MS Word) and formatting the characters inside the document. Then, copy-n-pasting the content literally inside a forum post.

If so, use Notepad to create your post (a "plain" text editor) and try it again. You won't have any formatting problems (none will appear), so you'll need to use the BBCode formatting icons Bold and Italic with the built-in post editing toolbar.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 pm Those are HTML characters, which I recognize - but the forum software does not. :)

The only way I can see this happening is that you are typing a post inside a word processor (like MS Word) and formatting the characters inside the document. Then, copy-n-pasting the content literally inside a forum post.

If so, use Notepad to create your post (a "plain" text editor) and try it again. You won't have any formatting problems (none will appear), so you'll need to use the BBCode formatting icons Bold and Italic with the built-in post editing toolbar.
I'm not using MS Word - I'm only using the forum "post a reply" "save a draft" "saved drafts" "preview" and "post." I don't compose in another program, then cut and paste or move what I wrote somewhere else to the forum - I'm only on the BH forum. I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.

I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte :mrgreen: ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte :mrgreen: ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
BBCode is just a wrapper around HTML code. These were probably BBCode tags in the post that you had saved as a draft. It sounds like the following is happening when you save a draft: rather than save the BBCode tags, the forum parsed the BBCode tags out to the underlying HTML before saving the draft, thus enabling you to see the underlying HTML code when you resumed editing the draft.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte :mrgreen: ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
BBCode is just a wrapper around HTML code. These were probably BBCode tags in the post that you had saved as a draft. It sounds like the following is happening when you save a draft: rather than save the BBCode tags, the forum parsed the BBCode tags out to the underlying HTML before saving the draft, thus enabling you to see the underlying HTML code when you resumed editing the draft.
Yes, and I just did a test on the "Try test posts here" thread (and deleted it) - the HTML codes appear when I "save a draft" - then I see them from that point on and the HTML codes simply continue with all edits of my draft post, appear when I "load" my draft, continue in the "preview" and continue when I "post" on the forum.

I certainly never put them there intentionally and never posted anything that would have them. Also, I changed browsers, originally using Chrome now using IE and the problem is the same.

How do I get rid of them?? Note - they are not here now because I never saved this post as a draft, but I bet . . .
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

<r><QUOTE author="Miriam2" post_id="3495797" time="1502940859" user_id="57949"><s>
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 pm</s>
<QUOTE author="Mudpuppy" post_id="3495784" time="1502940282" user_id="29475"><s>
Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm</s>
<QUOTE author="Miriam2" post_id="3495748" time="1502937573" user_id="57949"><s>
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm</s>
I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte <E>:mrgreen:</E> ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
Yes, and I just did a test on the "Try test posts here" thread (and deleted it) - the HTML codes appear when I "save a draft" - then I see them from that point on and the HTML codes simply continue with all edits of my draft post, appear when I "load" my draft, continue in the "preview" and continue when I "post" on the forum.<br/>
<br/>
I certainly never put them there intentionally and never posted anything that would have them. Also, I changed browsers, originally using Chrome now using IE and the problem is the same.<br/>
<br/>
How do I get rid of them?? Note - they are not here now because I never saved this post as a draft, but I bet . . .
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

yup, here they are</r>

HTML loves me
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 pm Those are HTML characters, which I recognize - but the forum software does not. :)

I'm not using MS Word - I'm only using the forum "post a reply" "save a draft" "saved drafts" "preview" and "post." I don't compose in another program, then cut and paste or move what I wrote somewhere else to the forum - I'm only on the BH forum. I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.

I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte :mrgreen: ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
A workaround is to choose "load draft" instead of "view/edit". "View/edit" does seem broken and is inserting the html tags.

There is no need to use "view/edit" anyway. All it does is allow you to change the draft. "load draft" will bring up your draft (correctly without html tags) and allow you to both edit and post it. This means you can edit the saved draft and save the new draft again for later editing or submission.

So yes, "view/edit" appears broken (at least for my saved drafts), but using "load draft" will let you do what you want anyways I believe.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

in_reality wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 pm A workaround is to choose "load draft" instead of "view/edit". "View/edit" does seem broken and is inserting the html tags.

There is no need to use "view/edit" anyway. All it does is allow you to change the draft. "load draft" will bring up your draft (correctly without html tags) and allow you to both edit and post it. This means you can edit the saved draft and save the new draft again for later editing or submission.

So yes, "view/edit" appears broken (at least for my saved drafts), but using "load draft" will let you do what you want anyways I believe.
Thank you - are you also getting the HTML tags when you use "view/edit"? (and yes, I use the "view/edit" window to edit my longer posts, then load the draft)
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 pm
in_reality wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 pm A workaround is to choose "load draft" instead of "view/edit". "View/edit" does seem broken and is inserting the html tags.

Thank you - are you also getting the HTML tags when you use "view/edit"? (and yes, I use the "view/edit" window to edit my longer posts, then load the draft)
Yes I am getting HTML tags when using "view/edit" to see a draft.

And I just noticed that while "load draft" does allow one to re-save a draft, it creates a new draft so you have to manually delete earlier ones. Not ideal, but should let you save things safely as you work on something.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

When I scroll to the bottom of a topic page, there is a link to go back to topic index, but it appears there is not a link to go back to the main board index. In hte past I recall there were 2 links ... one to the board index, and one to the main page index (that which you get from clicking the link at the bogleheads icon at top of a page. Was that intentional? Now I find myself scrolling up/down a lot more.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

in_reality wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 pm Thank you - are you also getting the HTML tags when you use "view/edit"? (and yes, I use the "view/edit" window to edit my longer posts, then load the draft)
Yes I am getting HTML tags when using "view/edit" to see a draft.

And I just noticed that while "load draft" does allow one to re-save a draft, it creates a new draft so you have to manually delete earlier ones. Not ideal, but should let you save things safely as you work on something.
I just did another test and again, the HTML tags pop in and never leave when - in my User Control Panel "Manage drafts" section - I go into the draft as "view/edit" and make a change then save it. So I'll have to change my writing behavior :shock:

Thank you In-reality and Mudpuppy for your help :D
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Miriam2 wrote: I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.
I write long posts and if I'm researching at the same time I also can take a very long time to write a post. I don't use save draft most of the time. I use "preview" a lot and that works for me.

For example, if I want to leave this editing box and look up something about a mutual fund, if I click on "preview" first, I can go wander the internet for awhile, maybe copy something to paste in a post, and come back to the editing box and everything is just how I left it.

Or if I'm typing a post and get interrupted and have to leave for even a very long time, if I first click on preview when I return, it is all saved and ready to finish.

If you have to change your writing behavior, see if that works for you. It's way easier than saving drafts and downloading them repeatedly.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

sandramjet wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 pm When I scroll to the bottom of a topic page, there is a link to go back to topic index, but it appears there is not a link to go back to the main board index. In hte past I recall there were 2 links ... one to the board index, and one to the main page index (that which you get from clicking the link at the bogleheads icon at top of a page. Was that intentional? Now I find myself scrolling up/down a lot more.
That was already covered starting at this point in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&start=300#p3493466

Long story short, use the link at the top of the page instead.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 pm I just did another test and again, the HTML tags pop in and never leave when - in my User Control Panel "Manage drafts" section - I go into the draft as "view/edit" and make a change then save it. So I'll have to change my writing behavior :shock:
If you accidentally hit view/edit while changing habits over to using load draft, there is a workaround. It's not ideal, but you should be able to manually delete the HTML tags in the edit box and then replace them with the original BBCode tags. HTML tags are nothing magical. They're just characters, so they can be deleted like any other character in the edit box.
prudent

Post by prudent »

sandramjet wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 pm When I scroll to the bottom of a topic page, there is a link to go back to topic index, but it appears there is not a link to go back to the main board index. In hte past I recall there were 2 links ... one to the board index, and one to the main page index (that which you get from clicking the link at the bogleheads icon at top of a page. Was that intentional? Now I find myself scrolling up/down a lot more.
It might be quicker to hit the Home key on your keyboard (rather than scrolling up) to get back to the top of the page.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm
Yes, and I just did a test on the "Try test posts here" thread (and deleted it) - the HTML codes appear when I "save a draft" - then I see them from that point on and the HTML codes simply continue with all edits of my draft post, appear when I "load" my draft, continue in the "preview" and continue when I "post" on the forum.

I certainly never put them there intentionally and never posted anything that would have them. Also, I changed browsers, originally using Chrome now using IE and the problem is the same.

This appears to be a problem with the new BBCode engine in phpBB 3.2.x, as I can reproduce it on multiple forums that I know are running phpBB 3.2.x. The issue has been raised on the phpBB support community site, see phpBB • View/Edit drafts contain underlying HTML coding.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
mrc

Post by mrc »

Email notification update: I continue to receive up-to-date notifications on current posts. And also strays from last Sunday, now up to 11:47PM.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

retiredjg wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 am
Miriam2 wrote: I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.
I write long posts and if I'm researching at the same time I also can take a very long time to write a post. I don't use save draft most of the time. I use "preview" a lot and that works for me.

For example, if I want to leave this editing box and look up something about a mutual fund, if I click on "preview" first, I can go wander the internet for awhile, maybe copy something to paste in a post, and come back to the editing box and everything is just how I left it.

Or if I'm typing a post and get interrupted and have to leave for even a very long time, if I first click on preview when I return, it is all saved and ready to finish.

If you have to change your writing behavior, see if that works for you. It's way easier than saving drafts and downloading them repeatedly.
Sorry for the delay, I'm just catching up and missed all the action. Peculiar_Investor has identified the problem, which is under discussion in the phpBB support community.
mrc wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am Email notification update: I continue to receive up-to-date notifications on current posts. And also strays from last Sunday, now up to 11:47PM.
Thanks. I just received a few stray notifications dated 8/13, but for Private Messages.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

prudent wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 am
It might be quicker to hit the Home key on your keyboard (rather than scrolling up) to get back to the top of the page.
The other thing you can do is hit the little 'up' caret in the lower right corner of each post. That takes you to the top of the page also.

I don't have a home key on my mobile device(s) (that I know of) so I use the 'up' caret to go back to the top and then hit the bogleheads symbol or link.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 pm
retiredjg wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:49 am Your first whine.....not a change for the better. :(

Yucky.

Yes, I know you don't get any choice....
Sorry for the delay. Are you using Chrome? There's a bug report for blurry icons. Just to see if that's the problem, try using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
The blurriness of the forum and topic icons when using Chrome (desktop) seems to have been fixed. Thanks.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That was quick. Yes, I just made the update. You beat me to the post. :)

Later in the discussion, retiredjg clarified that the issue was with the new post icons.
retiredjg wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 pm
retiredjg wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:49 am Your first whine.....not a change for the better. :(

Yucky.

Yes, I know you don't get any choice....
Sorry for the delay. Are you using Chrome? There's a bug report for blurry icons. Just to see if that's the problem, try using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
First, an apology for the whine. :wink: I know you can't please everybody. Some people probably like this better. (eye rolling smilie face)

I'm using Safari, not chrome. The icons are not blurry.

I just think symbols instead of words is moving in the wrong direction. People who are not accustomed to this don't know what to do. When you tell people to "edit", you also have to add "use the pencil thing" in case they don't know. Now we have a quote symbol instead of a word, color, url, etc.

The addition of the strike through is a nice touch though.
The new icons get your attention much better, as the strike through * has been there for a while.

* "s" - the rightmost icon in the post editing toolbar
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retiredjg" wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.

Thank you for your suggestions!

When you click on "preview" then go wander the internet for awhile, do you minimize your BH screen or are you working on 2 screens?

How long can you leave your draft in "preview" before the forum kicks you off? And if you are kicked off, when you log back in, is your "preview" draft still there?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm
retiredjg" wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:I "save draft" what I write regularly (if it's long) to avoid losing it.

When you click on "preview" then go wander the internet for awhile, do you minimize your BH screen or are you working on 2 screens?
I do not open a new window and I don't minimize my BH screen. For instance, If I wanted to go look up something now, I would simply click on "preview" to preserve what I have and then command L (brings up search bar) and then type in what I'm searching for. Once I've found it, I simply hit the back button until I'm back at the editing box which is just how I left it.

If I fail to click on preview before I go wandering off, when I get back, it is a previous version of what I left rather than the last version of what I left.

I'm on a Mac, using Safari, but my sense it it should work the same with any system. I could be wrong though.
How long can you leave your draft in "preview" before the forum kicks you off? And if you are kicked off, when you log back in, is your "preview" draft still there?
I don't get kicked off. Even after an hour or more.

I used to think I was kicked off after a long time, but then I realized if I simply clicked on "preview" when returning, before doing anything else, it all comes back to life as if I never left it. But if I try to type something without hitting "preview" first.....well, I don't remember what happened - it was such a long time ago that I discovered this. But whatever happened, all was lost.

I had some times a few years ago where I typed in a very long post and then lost it. Using the preview button has eliminated that for me.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm
retiredjg" wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions!

And does it work in mobile browsers? On my desktop, it seems I can leave tabs open forever and not worry about a post I am working on. In the mobile browser (iPhone), once I leave a tab or go to check mail or something, it seems the message is often lost after a short time. Sometimes it's still there, sometimes not. Guess I should test it!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

in_reality wrote:And does it work in mobile browsers? On my desktop, it seems I can leave tabs open forever and not worry about a post I am working on. In the mobile browser (iPhone), once I leave a tab or go to check mail or something, it seems the message is often lost after a short time. Sometimes it's still there, sometimes not. Guess I should test it!
Can't help with this one. I do not post from anything mobile. I only post from my laptop (macbook air).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Be sure to check the "Remember me" box at login time. Otherwise, you'll get logged out when you try to post.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:I don't use HTML codes (remember, I'm a troglodyte :mrgreen: ) How could HTML sneak into my BH forum posts?
This appears to be a problem with the new BBCode engine in phpBB 3.2.x, as I can reproduce it on multiple forums that I know are running phpBB 3.2.x. The issue has been raised on the phpBB support community site, see phpBB • View/Edit drafts contain underlying HTML coding.
Thank you for alleviating my anxiety :mrgreen: I thought I somehow infected my BH forum work with HTML.
Interesting reading your link to the phpBB forum.
Lou354

Post by Lou354 »

I'm receiving new post notifications by email from four days ago together with current notifications.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

azurekep wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?

Likewise with the red page icons that show up next to some threads?

The blue theme of Bogleheads is relaxing and conducive to good thought.

The red is alarming.
Agreed.

I find the whole update makes the forum somewhat unreadable.

Not sure how to explain it, but posts appear to be "busier" than they used to, and the red icons are visually jarring.

I used to enjoy reading posts, but now all they seem to do is give me a headache.

ETA: Plus, there is this whole "date and time" stamp at the far right side of a quoted post, just hanging out there....it looks ridiculous to me and breaks up the visual continuity of a quote. It makes me feel like I'm dyslexic, and I'm not. And the size of the open quote mark in a quoted post is much larger than the rest of the post, and where is the closing quote mark? Maybe it has always been there and I've never noticed it until now, but regardless, I'm not a fan of it.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Random Poster wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am ETA: Plus, there is this whole "date and time" stamp at the far right side of a quoted post, just hanging out there....it looks ridiculous to me and breaks up the visual continuity of a quote. It makes me feel like I'm dyslexic, and I'm not.
I find the new timestamp information quite useful to give context to when the quoted post was made. Admittedly most quoted posts are from right around the time of the new post, sometimes someone quotes something that is days/weeks/months or even years old.

TIP: Did you know that you have control over the format of the whole "date and time" stamp via your User Control Panel --> Board preferences? The direct link is ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal and look at the My date format: setting. I've got mine set to "less than a minute ago/18 Aug 2017 hh:mm", which means that I see your quoted post timestamped as "17 minutes ago"
And the size of the open quote mark in a quoted post is much larger than the rest of the post, and where is the closing quote mark? Maybe it has always been there and I've never noticed it until now, but regardless, I'm not a fan of it.
The closing quote mark has never been there. The opening quote mark is using the new Font-Awesome icon for consistency with the other icons.