Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, I see that as well. Sorry, it's just not part of this software.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

This morning, I am seeing an error, "Could not find required extension [memcache] for the ACM module memcache.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Whakamole wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:36 am This morning, I am seeing an error, "Could not find required extension [memcache] for the ACM module memcache.
Same. Have seen on desktop (Win10/Chrome) as well as Android. It is intermittent.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm seeing that as well.

Over the past few weeks the number of visitors (traffic) to this site has increased to the point where our current configuration was running out of steam. It's a good problem to have.

This morning, mingstar (site owner and server admin) added more servers to our configuration. Working in the 'cloud' is good because it allowed us to stay online while he made the change.

The errors are due to the new server configuration. Mingstar is working on it now.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mingstar found the problem. It's fixed.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mingstar found the problem. It's fixed.
Many many thanks to mingstar and to all the moderators for taking the time to keep our Bogleheads up and running :happy
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:39 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mingstar found the problem. It's fixed.
Many many thanks to mingstar and to all the moderators for taking the time to keep our Bogleheads up and running :happy
+1 Totally agree!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.4. This is a routine maintenance update.

No changes are visible to the members.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Just want to report that the OP in a thread is no longer flagged in subsequent posts as being the OP.
sport

Post by sport »

Luckywon wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:43 pm Just want to report that the OP in a thread is no longer flagged in subsequent posts as being the OP.
The OP is also not flagged in the first post.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I'm working on it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

OK, it's fixed. My fault. It's one of a few customizations I do when I incorporate a software update. I simply missed it - in spite of looking at this several times...
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:29 pm OK, it's fixed. My fault. It's one of a few customizations I do when I incorporate a software update. I simply missed it - in spite of looking at this several times...
Thanks for fixing it. It really adds clarity to long, complicated threads that often drift away from the original question. It also highlights when the OP has finally returned to a thread they started three pages ago and then disappeared.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

FYI, I've gotten a few of these on Android and Windows today fetching bogleheads pages.
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "hb0.winux.com" (23.254.167.168) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Last edited by Da5id on Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by. :wink:

I did notice the site was down for about 5 minutes. All that was missing was the test pattern.
A fool and his money are good for business.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Da5id wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:26 pm FYI, I've gotten a few of these on Android and Windows today fetching bogleheads pages.
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "hb0.winux.com" (23.254.167.168) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
I had similar message
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I saw that as well. Mingstar (site owner and server admin) is investigating.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Seems to have had a longer outage with the same error message. Wiki seemed to load at the time. Just the forum was having issues
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tomsense76 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:58 pm Seems to have had a longer outage with the same error message. Wiki seemed to load at the time. Just the forum was having issues
Some DB issue? Seemed like the DB server was refusing connection or something along those lines.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:06 pm
tomsense76 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:58 pm Seems to have had a longer outage with the same error message. Wiki seemed to load at the time. Just the forum was having issues
Some DB issue? Seemed like the DB server was refusing connection or something along those lines.
Yeah it could be a DB issue, connectivity issue, or an issue with the machine running the DB. Don't actually know how it is setup. So this is speculation on my part, but those would be the things I'd be curious about first.

Someone copied down the error message above ( viewtopic.php?p=6301397#p6301397 )
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

minggstar is working on it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I’m not sure that this is the right place to post this, as it seems to be related to iOS 15.1.

I don’t know what it’s called, but you know the “trick” where in replying to a post you scroll down through previous posts, select some text, and then press the “ button? It worked for me previously and I relied on it because I dislike reposting piles of text only to add some pithy comment [thats as close to a rant as I’ll allow myself :D ].

Long story short, under iOS 15.1 it disregards the selection and quotes the entire post.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:32 am I’m not sure that this is the right place to post this, as it seems to be related to iOS 15.1.

I don’t know what it’s called, but you know the “trick” where in replying to a post you scroll down through previous posts, select some text, and then press the “ button? It worked for me previously and I relied on it because I dislike reposting piles of text only to add some pithy comment [thats as close to a rant as I’ll allow myself :D ].

Long story short, under iOS 15.1 it disregards the selection and quotes the entire post.
I noticed this myself awhile ago. It happened after upgrading to ios15. I mentioned it to a moderator (on October 5) who speculated it was likely due to the new “live text” feature in ios15. I was told to try turning live text off (and they couldn’t provide any further support on it). But I don’t have the live text option as my hardware doesn’t support it. So I had to give up on using the selective quotes. Now I sometimes won’t even reply if I have to manually remove so much previously quoted text.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:46 am [quote=TomatoTomahto post_id=6356318 time=<a href="tel:1638282773">1638282773</a> user_id=25926]
I’m not sure that this is the right place to post this, as it seems to be related to iOS 15.1.

I noticed this myself awhile ago. It happened after upgrading to ios15. I mentioned it to a moderator (on October 5) who speculated it was likely due to the new “live text” feature in ios15. I was told to try turning live text off (and they couldn’t provide any further support on it). But I don’t have the live text option as my hardware doesn’t support it. So I had to give up on using the selective quotes. Now I sometimes won’t even reply if I have to manually remove so much previously quoted text.
[/quote]
Me also. I don’t want to contribute to the multi-page text with a “+1” comment situation; not a big deal on a PC, but a PITA on mobile. I am not good enough on my phone to do my own selective quoting; it’s not worth the effort.

I guess I’ll have to research what “live text l” is.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Sure looks like a mess, heh?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 am Sure looks like a mess, heh?
^^^ there was a Bogleheads software update or maintenance around this same time and I had originally suspected a link to that event. So it might not be related to ios15 at all. Both were around the same time.
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:07 am I guess I’ll have to research what “live text l” is.
“live text” is a new feature with ios15 enabling your Apple device to create editable text from characters that it recognizes in photos. So for example you could take a photo of a page in a book or a sign on the street and live text would convert it into editable text. The suggestion from the mod was that this new feature on my iPad with ios15 might be causing the problem with selective quoting on this forum, and that I should try turning it off. Well there was nothing to turn off because my iPad is too old to support live text, so it doesn’t even appear as an option to turn on or off.
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

Whakamole wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:36 am This morning, I am seeing an error, "Could not find required extension [memcache] for the ACM module memcache.
I've seen this twice today (1/20/2022); perhaps another configuration change is in order?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mingstar (Site owner and server admin) is working on it.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

KarenC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm
I've seen this twice today (1/20/2022); perhaps another configuration change is in order?
I saw this twice today. Both times if I refreshed the browser window, it went back to normal, including successfully navigating to the place I was trying to go next, such as a discussion I had selected from my notifications list.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Whatever mingstar has done seems to have had a good effect. Earlier this afternoon I was seeing the error on average at least once a minute, sometimes twice. I've been surfing after dinner now for around ten or fifteen minutes and haven't seen it yet.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:23 pm Whatever mingstar has done seems to have had a good effect. Earlier this afternoon I was seeing the error on average at least once a minute, sometimes twice. I've been surfing after dinner now for around ten or fifteen minutes and haven't seen it yet.
The problem seems to have gone away for me as well.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I’m seeing this a couple times over the last week or so, most recently just now.

1. Reading viewtopic.php?f=2&amp;t=369661&amp;start=300, I click on the next page.

Expected

Next page shows

Actual

Get “connection closed“ error from browser

2. Click refresh in browser

Expected

Next page shows

Actual

Error page with “the requested topic does not exist” error

3. Click refresh in browser

Page displays as expected.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

nordsteve wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:53 pm I’m seeing this a couple times over the last week or so, most recently just now.

1. Reading viewtopic.php?f=2&amp;t=369661&amp;start=300, I click on the next page.
<snip>
In the link as posted, there's a copy/paste error with &amp; which is indeed the valid HTML tag for an ampersand, but Firefox is keeping it as &amp; in the URL instead of putting it back to an ampersand. That is causing the forum to render the "topic does not exist" error. The corrected link for me is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=369661&start=300

Now the questions for you are the following:

Is this just a copy/paste error into this post or does your browser actually display &amp; instead of & in the URL line at the top of the page?

If your browser is displaying &amp;, does that occur at Step 1 ("connection refused" error) or only after Step 2 (click refresh)?

If it occurs at Step 1, how are you originally navigating to the thread?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ What mudpuppy says. This seems to be a browser issue. The forum software doesn't put HTML character representation in the URL.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Ahh - I grabbed the url from the error page, not from the page before. When it repros again I’ll see if I can get a bit more info.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After discussion with the site owners, I have added Contact Us and About to the forum's footer.

The links are visible on the site home page, but they should also be available in the forum. It's a change that's long overdue. (They fit best as part of the page's footer vs. the header.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been upgraded to phpBB 3.3.7. See: SITE OFFLINE Sunday (March 27) at 7:30 PM Eastern (00:30 UTC)
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

I noticed that forum IDs are no longer included in thread URLs. For example, prior to today's upgrade, if you clicked on a thread URL that didn't have a forum ID (e.g., viewtopic.php?t=165036), then the forum ID would automatically be added in (e.g., viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036) once the browser opened the thread. Not sure if that's a bug or just a changed setting...
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

That change is intentional as the f= parameter is redundant in the case you cite. Most users won’t notice but Google and other search engines consider it poor design.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

I like the change since the URL looks "cleaner" without the "f=" parameter. :happy
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

I don't know if this was discussed earlier in this 600+ replies thread...

What about a thumbs-up reaction? For example, if I asked a question and someone replied with an answer, I'd like to hit the thumbs-up reaction to acknowledge thanks and appreciation.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ It's discussed in this 300+ post thread: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts? (I'm in discussion with the site owner about it. No promises.)
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:57 am After discussion with the site owners, I have added Contact Us and About to the forum's footer.

The links are visible on the site home page, but they should also be available in the forum. It's a change that's long overdue. (They fit best as part of the page's footer vs. the header.)
After further discussion with the site owners, pages in the site home page menu have been placed inside this forum's layout.
The home page itself is not changed.

This gives us a consistent layout for those pages. It's also a lot easier to maintain.

For the software crowd: The pages are implemented with an "official" phpBB extension that's supported by the developers: phpBB • Pages - static pages only.

FYI - Another "official" extension we use is Board Rules. It's why you see the title "Board rules" when you read the Forum Policies.
sycamore

Bogleheads wiki not working - 503 not available

Post by sycamore »

Browsing to https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page times out after 20-30 seconds.
The browser shows a message:
503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request.
It was working okay roughly 20 minutes ago around 1:40 EDT.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's fixed. Apologies, it was human error. mingstar (site owner and server admin) was investigating an issue and made a mistake. We recognized what happened immediately, but it took some time to put things right.

We try to do the best we can. Occasionally, we will make a mistake in spite of the best intentions. At the server level, our actions have large repercussions. Sorry for the interruption.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:25 pm It's fixed. Apologies, it was human error. mingstar (site owner and server admin) was investigating an issue and made a mistake. We recognized what happened immediately, but it took some time to put things right.

We try to do the best we can. Occasionally, we will make a mistake in spite of the best intentions. At the server level, our actions have large repercussions. Sorry for the interruption.
No problem. I had meant to say the post was just a head's up for other members.

Thanks to you & mingstar & all those working behind the scenes!
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

There still seem to be some issues since this morning's outage.

In thread viewtopic.php?p=6592473#p6592473 there are many duplicated posts by one of the members, and while I allegedly was able to successfully post two replies, neither of them actually shows up for me. They do show up in my post list

search.php?author_id=57510&sr=posts

but when I try to navigate to them, some other post in that thread is shown.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Raraculus wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm I don't know if this was discussed earlier in this 600+ replies thread...

What about a thumbs-up reaction? For example, if I asked a question and someone replied with an answer, I'd like to hit the thumbs-up reaction to acknowledge thanks and appreciation.
:thumbsup There you go!
That's how I skin this cat - It's all we have.

Unfortunately, this particular emoji is not one of the default "Smilies" graphics that you can just click to add to your reply. You have to first click the "View more smilies" link (underneath the defaults) to bring up a second window which includes all the same 28 defaults :?: , and then adds just 2 more: the [:thumbsup] and [:thumbsdown] gifs. Kinda odd, eh? Too bad the 2 extras aren't just added to the main "Smilies" list. Perhaps 28 is some kind of maximum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:33 pm There still seem to be some issues since this morning's outage.

In thread viewtopic.php?p=6592473#p6592473 there are many duplicated posts by one of the members, and while I allegedly was able to successfully post two replies, neither of them actually shows up for me. They do show up in my post list

search.php?author_id=57510&sr=posts

but when I try to navigate to them, some other post in that thread is shown.
Thanks. I started a maintenance task (resync) that should help.

It takes a few minutes to run. If you see your post count temporarily drop to 0, the task is running. It will go back to normal when it's done.

Update: Maintenance task complete. The posts now go where they should.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum uses two search engines.

1. Google, which is the search box using the icon in the top-right corner of any forum page.

2. The forum's built-in search engine, which is the icon just to the right of the Google search box (link).

Until now, the built-in search engine would not find posts earlier than 2011. The built-in search engine was fixed earlier today. You can now find posts that go all the way back to the start of the forum in 2007.

If you see an increase in the number of returned results compared to before, this is why.

(Also posted in: Re: search for a 'phrase' and not 'keywords'?)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We have also changed the number of characters returned by the built-in search engine from 300 to 750 characters. This change should make the search results more meaningful, i.e. you'll see more post content in the results.

You can always set the number of returned characters to 0, which will return the contents of the entire post.