Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
Silverado

Re: where is the symbol to enlarge?

Post by Silverado » Sun May 03, 2015 2:16 pm

digarei wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:
bowtie wrote:Hi,
I used to click on the "A" in the top corner to enlarge the font size... is that no longer available?
I cannot find it anyplace now.
Thanks ....

It's gone. You have to use the browser to change font sizes now. CTRL+ (or Option+) will usually make the font larger. CTRL- (or Option-) makes it smaller.

iPad 1 user here. To my knowledge there is no Ctrl key combo that resizes fonts within the Safari browser... touch only.

The text does seem almost super-sized. I can make it larger (zoom out) by index-thumb spreading---but for reading comfort it needs to be smaller.

If there are other iPad users out there that have resolved this, please post! Downloading another popular browser is not an option -- the iPad 1 is permanently moored to iOS 5.

Yeah, the font size on iPad rough. In a few years I might need it, but right now it is way too big. The font on the main index page looks good, then I click on a thread and woah! who hit the zoom button.

dumbbunny

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by dumbbunny » Sun May 03, 2015 2:26 pm

How do I mark all posts read?
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Silverado wrote:
digarei wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:
I used to click on the "A" in the top corner to enlarge the font size... is that no longer available?
Thanks ....

It's gone. You have to use the browser to change font sizes now. CTRL+ (or Option+) will usually make the font larger. CTRL- (or Option-) makes it smaller.

iPad 1 user here. To my knowledge there is no Ctrl key combo that resizes fonts within the Safari browser... touch only.

The text does seem almost super-sized. I can make it larger (zoom out) by index-thumb spreading---but for reading comfort it needs to be smaller.

If there are other iPad users out there that have resolved this, please post! Downloading another popular browser is not an option -- the iPad 1 is permanently moored to iOS 5.

Yeah, the font size on iPad rough. In a few years I might need it, but right now it is way too big. The font on the main index page looks good, then I click on a thread and woah! who hit the zoom button.

I have an iPad and am using Google Chrome. Both the main index and the thread faces are approx. the same size and look just fine, as they did before the update.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Mel, are you using the iPad in portrait or landscape mode?

digarei

Post by digarei » Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:I have an iPad and am using Google Chrome. Both the main index and the thread faces are approx. the same size and look just fine, as they did before the update.

Not for me.

Do you have an iPad 1? Mine has an older version of Safari which I use to navigate this forum and... Vanguard, to pick just any site, at random. No problem resizing text there. When I've tried downloading Google Chrome before it reminds me to install the latest version of iOS and then quietly exits.

Early adopters were given the chilly clavicle when iPad 2 was released. 1st gen iPads will each go in their time to the great recycle yard, carrying a small white chip imprinted with the Apple logo and faint lettering.... i O S 5 R I P
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun May 03, 2015 5:42 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:Mel, are you using the iPad in portrait or landscape mode?

Hi TT:

I tested both. The typeface is a bit larger (but appropriately-sized) in landscape than it is in portrait, which is what you'd expect.

FWIW, I have the iPad with Retina display but not the latest iOS.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

dratkinson

Would it be possible for forum version to be a user selection?

Post by dratkinson » Sun May 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Data point. Forum version 2 supported Firefox v2. Forum version 3, not so much.

This post is just the last gasp of a dinosaur. :)

I recognize this is my problem, not the forum's, so will work to upgrade on my end.

Mine was probably the oldest system on the forum (P2, Firefox v2, dialup). Thought the annual tax s/w problem would be the issue that forced me to upgrade.

I recognize the forum upgrade makes the forum screens look cleaner with fewer unsightly text links hanging about, but the additional scripts required to implement the hidden menu popups and other improvements have slowed my old PC to a crawl. And one incompatible script freezes and gives the "unresponsive script" browser popup on every screen.

With multiple opened tab of new posts to read, the unresponsive scripts slow each other such that the mouse and keyboard become almost unresponsive, as I wait to answer the "unresponsive script" popups.

This update (cleaner look at the cost of additional complexity) reminds me of Vanguard's website update a few years back and the complaints/replies received. The majority of replies then were not that Vanguard's simple text was good enough so the update was a step backwards, but that customers should upgrade their systems/connections so they could handle the added complexity needed to be able to recover simple text. The logic then being that new must always be better.

I recognize forum admin needs to keep apace of the forum developers or be left behind. Keep up the good work.

I'll work toward upgrading on my end.

P.S. Silly question. If websites can maintain multiple versions (standard and mobile), why not also keep the last simple html version for older systems? Early adopters select forum version 3+, and users with older systems stay with forum version 2. (I tried Vanguard's then new mobile version, it wasn't that good: you could see partial fund data, but not execute transactions.)

I ask because gmail maintains a simple html version to support old systems while its full featured side continues to advance. The simple version allows you to send emails, but fancy text formatting and embedded pictures are not supported. (Yes I do realize google has almost unlimited support.)

Would it be possible for forum version to be a user selection? Don't know how this would play with forum indexing.

Recognize that after the last dinosaurs die and everyone else has upgrades, that a simple html version is not required. So more work benefiting no one.

Never mind.

[gasp] :)
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 pm

The web site speed is slow. Any idea if this will speed up?

I've heard there may be some indexing going on. If there isn't this is really painful to use.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Sun May 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Silverado wrote:
digarei wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:
Thanks ....

Portrait looks good. Landscpe is evil. Just like email on my iPhone. Sigh...

whaleknives

Re: Would it be possible for forum version to be a user selection?

Post by whaleknives » Sun May 03, 2015 8:43 pm

dratkinson wrote:This post is just the last gasp of a dinosaur. :) . . . Silly question. If websites can maintain multiple versions (standard and mobile), why not also keep the last simple html version for older systems? . . .

How many times have you seen a website recommend using Internet Explorer XX for best results? I've had some public work-related sites that even refuse to load if you're not using Explorer, let alone the right version. The website authors simply don't want to be bothered with programming for alternate browsers, if they can get away with it.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:52 pm

dratkinson wrote:I recognize the forum upgrade makes the forum screens look cleaner with fewer unsightly text links hanging about, but the additional scripts required to implement the hidden menu popups and other improvements have slowed my old PC to a crawl. And one incompatible script freezes and gives the "unresponsive script" browser popup on every screen.

You know, for an old dinosaur you sure have a lot more "techie" terminology and knowledge than I do :wink:
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

sport

Post by sport » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 pm

A new problem has arisen. Now, when I click on "view your posts", everything shows up as unread, even the threads that were read a long time ago.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun May 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Something else I've noticed is that when I click on a thread, it does not take me to the last post I had read, which it used to. For example, I clicked on a thread that I read through about thirty minutes ago but it opened to a post from yesterday.
Gordon

The529guy

Post by The529guy » Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Thank you for restoring the link to the "Bogleheads" text in the header. I missed it!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 03, 2015 10:04 pm

jsl11 wrote:A new problem has arisen. Now, when I click on "view your posts", everything shows up as unread, even the threads that were read a long time ago.

As I've stated earlier (somewhere), the indexes are used to keep track of posts you've read. You're seeing is what happens when the indexes haven't caught up.

Both Larry Auton (mingstar) and Alex Frakt are actively working the slow forum response. There may be a few changes, like turning off features, in order to speed things up until the index builds are complete.

For example, the Notifications (top right) have just been turned off.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 pm

dratkinson wrote:P.S. Silly question. If websites can maintain multiple versions (standard and mobile), why not also keep the last simple html version for older systems? Early adopters select forum version 3+, and users with older systems stay with forum version 2. (I tried Vanguard's then new mobile version, it wasn't that good: you could see partial fund data, but not execute transactions.)

The new version included multiple changes to the underlying database, the old version simply won't work.

However, it is possible to install different styles that are compatible with the new version. We made several styles available when we first added the forum to accommodate different setups. However, we found it to be difficult to maintain them all as each one required customization whenever we added features or went through minor upgrades. We eventually got to an upgrade that broke them all completely and so we decided to stick with the stock style for the future. But now that I think about it, the underlying problem has gone away as the current stock forum software addresses the issues that forced us to previously use custom code. So perhaps it's time to add a small number of alternate styles again.

Note that while this may end up being the answer for the iPad issues. I'm not certain that we will be able to find a style that will work well with really old setups as the number of alternate styles that have been verified and approved by the phpbb developers for the current version of the board (3.1) is quite limited.

Here's a demo of one that might work - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... e/demo/3.1 . You can ignore the black header, it's there to manage the demos. Speaking of which you can see demos of the other approved styles by selecting the options in the "Select a style" drop down box in the header.

BTW, perhaps the iPad users with issues could check out the styles as well. In addition, there's one that has been submitted, but is not yet approved that appears to be worth a look. Its demo is at http://demo.php-bb.ir/3.1/en/index.php?style=12

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sun May 03, 2015 10:56 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
jsl11 wrote:A new problem has arisen. Now, when I click on "view your posts", everything shows up as unread, even the threads that were read a long time ago.

As I've stated earlier (somewhere), the indexes are used to keep track of posts you've read. You're seeing is what happens when the indexes haven't caught up.

Both Larry Auton (mingstar) and Alex Frakt are actively working the slow forum response. There may be a few changes, like turning off features, in order to speed things up until the index builds are complete.

For example, the Notifications (top right) have just been turned off.

I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics :shock:

The good news is that things have noticeably sped up since I made the latest changes.

Edit: if you go to the Board index and click "Mark forums read" it marks everything read including everything under "Your posts". Of course, it marks unread posts read as well.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun May 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics :shock:

The good news is that things have noticeably sped up since I made the latest changes.

Edit: if you go to the Board index and click "Mark forums read" it marks everything read including everything under "Your posts". Of course, it marks unread posts read as well.

It may have sped things up, but it may also create additional issues. If I am reading that option correctly, it's pushed what was a server-side database out to a client-side cookie. But client-side comes with all sorts of consequences.

For example, I would assume that as soon as I delete cookies (which I do every time I close the browser to get rid of tracking cookies that might have slipped through my security measures), I also delete the read status. So I'd have to remember "when" I last visited the forums every time I close the browser or cleared cookies, which could get old very quickly.

And what about people who browse from multiple platforms? Client-side cookies don't easily synchronize across platforms. Server-side databases do.

I just see this causing all sorts of problems in the long term.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sun May 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics :shock:

It may have sped things up, but it may also create additional issues. If I am reading that option correctly, it's pushed what was a server-side database out to a client-side cookie. But client-side comes with all sorts of consequences.

For example, I would assume that as soon as I delete cookies (which I do every time I close the browser to get rid of tracking cookies that might have slipped through my security measures), I also delete the read status. So I'd have to remember "when" I last visited the forums every time I close the browser or cleared cookies, which could get old very quickly.

And what about people who browse from multiple platforms? Client-side cookies don't easily synchronize across platforms. Server-side databases do.

I just see this causing all sorts of problems in the long term.

Server-side tracking is a new feature. Disabling it means read/unread post tracking works the same way it has for the last 8 years. Even though it says client-side, the software still does something server-side, I think based on expired sessions, so it's not completely off when you switch devices. It's never been perfect, but folks have manged to live with it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun May 03, 2015 11:48 pm

dratkinson wrote:I recognize forum admin needs to keep apace of the forum developers or be left behind. Keep up the good work.

I'll work toward upgrading on my end.

Now that Google is essentially "penalizing" sites on its mobile search that do not support mobile platforms, expect to see a lot more sites making upgrades to support mobile platforms and avoid that "penalty". I noticed several sites I frequent have changed over the past couple weeks to more mobile-friendly, but perhaps less "dinosaur friendly", website code. Most annoyingly, a conference website changed in the middle of the conference and lost some information in the transition that presenters were trying to refer to... that was fun times. Chase also "broke" their website on relatively recent Firefox browsers (compared to Firefox 2 at least) with an update last month.

dratkinson wrote:P.S. Silly question. If websites can maintain multiple versions (standard and mobile), why not also keep the last simple html version for older systems? Early adopters select forum version 3+, and users with older systems stay with forum version 2. (I tried Vanguard's then new mobile version, it wasn't that good: you could see partial fund data, but not execute transactions.)

Coders can take that option, but remember that the Bogleheads forum is not custom code. It's phpBB, so the admins are constrained by the functionality phpBB provides. If their coders don't take this option, there's nothing the admins can do about it.

There's also more of a culture of pushing users to upgrade rather than always be backwards compatible these days. The logic is that upgraded machines are patched for known security vulnerabilities. This is why Chrome always flags my work's ordering website, since it still supports old SSL/TLS versions with known vulnerabilities (the ordering system is run by another department who doesn't seem to grok the risk).

bayview

Post by bayview » Mon May 04, 2015 4:30 am

Is this a change that you just made on Sunday night? I got pretty much caught up yesterday. Last night, I had just a dozen or so remaining unread posts on Theory. This morning, it shows once again as completely unread, as do all the other forums. I know that I can mark all as read, once I try to read the ones that I really had not read, but will this happen each day or night?

"It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place!" :D --the Red Queen.

eta: it definitely moves faster now, which is greatly appreciated! :sharebeer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 am

madbrain wrote:Another issue, which is more annoying, and a regression :

When maximizing/widening a browser window containing a bogleheads.org thread, such as this one, There are now wide blank margins on the left and right, which didn't use to be there.

I can make these margins disappear by enlarging the font, but that misses the point - I can't read utilize the screen efficiently that way, which I used to be able to do.

These margins only seem to be appear when the browser window is wider than about 60% of my screen with, which is 2560 pixels.
This is with Firefox 37 on Windows. I just tried in Chrome and the same behavior occurs, but worse.

Same here. Just viewing the website on my 22-inch monitor, I have big wide margins on the sides. The actual website/forum only take up about 60% of the screen. A lot of wasted space and makes the website less visually appealing.

Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x » Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 am

Alex Frakt wrote:

The new version included multiple changes to the underlying database, the old version simply won't work.

However, it is possible to install different styles that are compatible with the new version. We made several styles available when we first added the forum to accommodate different setups. However, we found it to be difficult to maintain them all as each one required customization whenever we added features or went through minor upgrades. We eventually got to an upgrade that broke them all completely and so we decided to stick with the stock style for the future. But now that I think about it, the underlying problem has gone away as the current stock forum software addresses the issues that forced us to previously use custom code. So perhaps it's time to add a small number of alternate styles again.

Note that while this may end up being the answer for the iPad issues. I'm not certain that we will be able to find a style that will work well with really old setups as the number of alternate styles that have been verified and approved by the phpbb developers for the current version of the board (3.1) is quite limited.

Here's a demo of one that might work - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... e/demo/3.1 . You can ignore the black header, it's there to manage the demos. Speaking of which you can see demos of the other approved styles by selecting the options in the "Select a style" drop down box in the header.

BTW, perhaps the iPad users with issues could check out the styles as well. In addition, there's one that has been submitted, but is not yet approved that appears to be worth a look. Its demo is at http://demo.php-bb.ir/3.1/en/index.php?style=12

Thanks for that. Elegance works nicely on the iPad with Safari.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon May 04, 2015 6:26 am

Is it just me, or is the "first unread post" feature not working today? Worked well for me yesterday, and was a welcome feature.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 04, 2015 6:34 am

Over the course of a day or two, I read the forum while logged in on both my smartphone and one or two PCs.
For years, my account has been synced across different platforms such that last post read in all threads is magically remembered.
I'm away from my two PCs right now, so I can't verify that this still works. I assume something on the server side is needed to maintain this status.
It will be a step backward if this functionality goes away...
Attempted new signature...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:Is it just me, or is the "first unread post" feature not working today? Worked well for me yesterday, and was a welcome feature.

Same here. :(
I'm hoping this is a one-time hiccup due to tweaks last night...
Attempted new signature...

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 am

wassabi wrote:
madbrain wrote:Another issue, which is more annoying, and a regression :

When maximizing/widening a browser window containing a bogleheads.org thread, such as this one, There are now wide blank margins on the left and right, which didn't use to be there.

I can make these margins disappear by enlarging the font, but that misses the point - I can't read utilize the screen efficiently that way, which I used to be able to do.

These margins only seem to be appear when the browser window is wider than about 60% of my screen with, which is 2560 pixels.
This is with Firefox 37 on Windows. I just tried in Chrome and the same behavior occurs, but worse.

Same here. Just viewing the website on my 22-inch monitor, I have big wide margins on the sides. The actual website/forum only take up about 60% of the screen. A lot of wasted space and makes the website less visually appealing.

I like it when websites do that. I find having the width of the text constrained makes it easier to read.
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 am

The529guy wrote:Thank you for restoring the link to the "Bogleheads" text in the header. I missed it!
Ditto. I could have gotten used to moving the mouse northwest by west instead of northwest but glad I don't have to.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am

A couple people mentioned the "First unread post" feature. This has been around a long time. However, it isn't working like it used to. I am logged into Bogleheads with 4 different devices. "First unread post" used to work across devices, but doesn't anymore.

For example, let's say I opened a new thread on my phone. If I returned to the thread on my laptop, I could click "First unread post" to immediately read the oldest unread post, independent of device.

Since the upgrade, if I open a previously read thread on a different device, the forum software doesn't recognize that I already read the posts. Clicking "First unread post" takes me to the first post in the thread.

This bug is also affecting the email notifications for subscribed threads. If I click the "If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit..." link, it doesn't take me to the most recent unread post if I'm on a different device.

The Wizard wrote:Another bug is a carryover bug from before.
Sometimes a thread will be two pages in length, 51 to 100 posts.
I'll click on First unread post, and it takes me to the top of page two, post 51, when in fact, there were a few posts at toward the bottom of page 1 that I'd not read.
Similar for 3, 4, 5, ...N-page threads...

This one has always bothered me too.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 am

Ketawa wrote:A couple people mentioned the "First unread post" feature. This has been around a long time. However, it isn't working like it used to. I am logged into Bogleheads with 4 different devices. "First unread post" used to work across devices, but doesn't anymore.

+1 so obviously some data is now being kept on individual devices that used to be kept centrally on the server.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon May 04, 2015 10:21 am

Alex Frakt wrote:I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics

Wow, that is not exactly a transparent change. Previously one of the great things about the forum was that it was in sync across multiple platforms. I could read at lunch at the office, then when I came home I could go right to the next unread messages in the threads. If it were me I'd see I couldn't figure out some way to retain that feature.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics

Wow, that is not exactly a transparent change. Previously one of the great things about the forum was that it was in sync across multiple platforms. I could read at lunch at the office, then when I came home I could go right to the next unread messages in the threads. If it were me I'd see I couldn't figure out some way to retain that feature.

Earl

Oh, I see my bug was already addressed in the thread. I searched for the word "unread" and read all those posts, but this is obviously a related issue.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:

Earl

I just want to add that Alex's next post states the phpBB documentation told him having this disabled is how the previous version worked. Now, anecdotally, this appears to be incorrect and it indeed changed the behavior. I say anecdotally though because part of this could be the history data was lost and it could work like it used to moving forward. Personally, I don't think this is the case, but we shouldn't pile on Alex for the change when he clearly states he was told this is a new function and turning it off would restore the old behavior.

Alex Frakt wrote:Server-side tracking is a new feature. Disabling it means read/unread post tracking works the same way it has for the last 8 years. Even though it says client-side, the software still does something server-side, I think based on expired sessions, so it's not completely off when you switch devices. It's never been perfect, but folks have manged to live with it.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am

Ketawa wrote:This bug is also affecting the email notifications for subscribed threads. If I click the "If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit..." link, it doesn't take me to the most recent unread post if I'm on a different device.

Here is some more info on this problem. Email notifications used to link directly to a specific post in a thread, e.g:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php$f=#&t=######&p=#######&e=#######

Now the link is like this:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php$f=#&t=######&e=1&view=unread#unread

The second link doesn't work across different devices.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am

BrandonBogle wrote:I just want to add that Alex's next post states the phpBB documentation told him having this disabled is how the previous version worked. Now, anecdotally, this appears to be incorrect and it indeed changed the behavior. I say anecdotally though because part of this could be the history data was lost and it could work like it used to moving forward. Personally, I don't think this is the case, but we shouldn't pile on Alex for the change when he clearly states he was told this is a new function and turning it off would restore the old behavior.

Interesting. It's not clear to me how a cookie-based system could work the way I've experienced. However, as took a day off work today, I haven't been able to try it.

I would guess that some people have use multiple platforms by now and could comment.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:Interesting. It's not clear to me how a cookie-based system could work the way I've experienced. However, as took a day off work today, I haven't been able to try it.

I would guess that some people have use multiple platforms by now and could comment.

Earl

If I had to guess (I am unfamiliar with phpBB), there was probably some sort of tracking being done via session cookies that was unrelated to the "View your posts" functionality. Probably something like the desktop views of who is browsing the forum, if you want to be "hidden" for this session, any timeouts and unsaved drafts in your session, etc. This likely was enabled to be server-housed instead of client-housed (even via server-stored client cookies). What is quite likely (from my guess), is that the option to have some subset of data client-housed and the "view your posts" data server-housed is no longer available. It is now either all or none. This would make sense because the session data is incrementally more data than the tracking history, so the designers could have those to make that permanent/persistent on the server, while also providing a "lite" option for the database to reduce server data. It is quite likely that having the function enabled would be best, once the indexing was complete. Given the high number of posts in the forum, I can imagine it would take days for the side processes to complete.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon May 04, 2015 11:54 am

Peterjens wrote:How do I mark all posts read?

Bump.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Peterjens wrote:

Bump.

Have you tried the "Mark forums read" / "Mark topics read" link in the upper right?
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:I just want to add that Alex's next post states the phpBB documentation told him having this disabled is how the previous version worked. Now, anecdotally, this appears to be incorrect and it indeed changed the behavior. I say anecdotally though because part of this could be the history data was lost and it could work like it used to moving forward. Personally, I don't think this is the case, but we shouldn't pile on Alex for the change when he clearly states he was told this is a new function and turning it off would restore the old behavior.

Based on my experience today it is not a one-time reset but an ongoing behavior with my two devices not being snyc'd. Just to be 100% clear, I am not blaming or piling on any of the volunteers that keep this site running. They do great work and I am very grateful for their efforts. I am just trying to provide data so that they understand how the new system is behaving. Not matter the resolution, I'll still be a loyal user going forward.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 pm

A couple of points on server-side unread post tracking:

1) This is probably temporary. Once we get everything under control, we will experiment with re-enabling it to see what kind of performance hit it takes.

2) Give it a day or two, turning it off meant that the current state had been lost, so everything got marked unread. Although by the time client-side is sorted, it may be moot (see #1).

3) Client-side is just shorthand. What is really going on is that it tracks your last period of activity. Once your session expires through logging out or 30 minutes of inactivity, it shows everything posted since then as unread. Note that while you are in a session, the software does track you server-side.

columbia

Post by columbia » Mon May 04, 2015 1:22 pm

As of yesterday, the board doesn't appear to keeping track of read messages across different devices.

EDIT: Point 3.) above would explain that.

stratton

Post by stratton » Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Indexing must be done. The web site has sped up quite a bit. :P

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon May 04, 2015 1:32 pm

I found that reducing the font to 85% size in Mercury was tolerable using an iPad in landscape mode. It does a bothersome thing of rendering it full size first and then shrinking it almost instantly, but I will put on my big boy pants and deal with it.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Did the option for a poll go away?
There used to be a poll tab at the bottom of a new reply. Not there anymore.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon May 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Tamales wrote:Did the option for a poll go away?

Administrators didn't think it was important so they took it away. I liked them myself.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 pm

archbish99 wrote:
Peterjens wrote:

Bump.

Have you tried the "Mark forums read" / "Mark topics read" link in the upper right?

D'oh! I swear the link wasn't there before. You are my new best friend. Thanks.

dratkinson

Can't turn of Live Notification and keep Email notifications.

Post by dratkinson » Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Coming in from public library machine. Trying to simplify my settings. The plan: use library PC to configure something I can live with at home.

1. Is it possible to turn off the live notifications script as a user preference?

In user control panel, board preference, edit notification options:
I turn "On" only EMAIL for Subscribed Topics and PMs, but system also turns "On" NOTIFICATIONS too, which I assume to be live notifications. Trying to turn off live notifications to reduce script conflicts.

I can turn "Off" NOTIFICATIONS, but only if I also turn "Off" EMAIL too. Would hate to lose that functionality, but if it must be then so be it.

2. Where are the styles located? Would like to try those. I see them in the demo, but not here.
Last edited by dratkinson on Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Gort wrote:
Tamales wrote:Did the option for a poll go away?

Administrators didn't think it was important so they took it away. I liked them myself.

That's pretty silly. A poll is just a different way of asking a basic question, and where you may get 10 times more replies than if you put it in text form.

Plus it has the benefit of anonymity, since there are many questions people aren't comfortable answering directly. Text threads just can't do this.

BRING BACK THE POLLS PLEASE!!!!

(PS, that a few people inevitably complain in most every poll that it was imperfect or unrealistic for their situation, for this or that reason, is irrelevant. They could simply skip the poll. If the poll was useful for the person asking the question, and maybe even a few other people, that's all that should matter.)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Disabling of the polls is discussed in this thread: Re: Polls Disabled

I'm linking to a post by the site owner, Alex Frakt. That thread is now locked. Further discussion is off-topic.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Can't turn of Live Notification and keep Email notifications.

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 04, 2015 8:25 pm

dratkinson wrote:Coming in from public library machine. Trying to simplify my settings. The plan: use library PC to configure something I can live with at home.

1. Is it possible to turn off the live notifications script as a user preference?

In user control panel, board preference, edit notification options:
I turn "On" only EMAIL for Subscribed Topics and PMs, but system also turns "On" NOTIFICATIONS too, which I assume to be live notifications. Trying to turn off live notifications to reduce script conflicts.

I can turn "Off" NOTIFICATIONS, but only if I also turn "Off" EMAIL too. Would hate to lose that functionality, but if it must be then so be it.

2. Where are the styles located? Would like to try those. I see them in the demo, but not here.

1. Live notifications

- We have them disabled site-wide, which overrides the member settings. As stated earlier, this feature takes quite a bit of horsepower. When the forum finishes building indexes and gets back on its feet, we'll turn the feature back on.

2. Styles

- Styles are installed by the site administrators. So far, there is only one style "prosilver" and is what you see now.