Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
Leeraar

Deleted

Post by Leeraar » Sat May 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Leeraar on Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Mudpuppy - That's a good summary, thank you.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

HoosierJim

Re: SQL error

Post by HoosierJim » Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 pm

digarei wrote:General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: sorry, too many clients already at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

)

Seems to me that this site would benefit greatly from caching

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Was viewing New Posts (total of 2 pages), when I clicked page "2" (not the Next button) after more than 2 hours, and received:

Information
You are not authorized to view....

The font of "Information" made me think it was a forum area or topic heading.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 25, 2015 1:36 pm

The software is working correctly, as that message means that the moderators have removed a thread from view.

See the FAQ (upper left-corner menu): What does "You are not authorised to read this forum." mean?
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon May 25, 2015 3:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:The software is working correctly, as that message means that the moderators have removed a thread from view. ...

I have seen and recognize the "not authorized" message as it relates to administrator-removed posts.

My situation is that I was not asking to view a (removed) post, I was asking to view the next page of New Posts... which should always be there, even if blank. So a "not authorized" reply would seem to be a forum software hiccup (a problem for phpBB), even if I somehow induced it by delaying over 2 hours before requesting page 2 from New Posts.

And as hiccups go, it's minor as I recovered by requesting to view New Posts again, then selecting page 2. No problem the second time.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Software upgrade bug report: e-mail address parsing

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 25, 2015 8:08 pm

^^^ Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

digarei wrote:----------------------
Issue #2 - The Whole World is (an Ellipsis........)

However, today I wish to report something that I just began noticing yesterday. The engine that parses text and BBCode attaches a period to the end of any unquoted e-mail address it encounters. This appears to happen each time the Preview or Submit button is activated when creating or editing a post using 'Post a Reply'.

See, for example, a thread I started on April 24 (link below)--- the first post has not been edited since then and the email address string is displayed correctly (no trailing period). The second post dated May 5 also contains an email address but note the periods at the end of the address. I didn't place them there! --- Interesting, no?

Sacramento Chapter @ Aioli Bodega 11 AM Sat May 9, 2015

Bonus: do you wonder how I noticed this wee bug? easy. im a slow n terribkee typist end mek a lots of miistakes so i hav tu clek Preview a lut.

----------------------------
[color=#000060][size=95]Edited 5-17-15 to add:

More testing has persuaded me that this last item is a new bug in the code but seems to be largely aesthetic: even with fifteen periods attached the mail address was functional when clicked...

Sorry, I just realized this is an actual, real, live software bug. We're using phpBB 3.1.3. This bug was reported and fixed in phpBB 3.1.4 - which is now the current version. See my test post: Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here

It's always a good idea to stay current. I have asked mingstar (site owner and server admin) to update the software.

For the tech crowd, here's the bug tracker report: A dot in email address leads to unwanted extraneous dot

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Today on two occasions I created a post in the "post a reply" window, then clicked "submit" - but my reply never appeared in the thread. Instead, someone else had posted a reply just before me and their post appeared, but not mine. I know their post appeared after I started creating my reply because I remember who the last poster was and it was not them.
Then, my reply was gone - not in the thread and not in my "create a reply" window, lost forever :shock: Obviously, I should have created a draft of it, but that gets time consuming moving back and forth for a short reply.

In the old software, if someone had posted a reply between the time we started our creation and wanted to submit it, we would receive a notification that said something like "be aware another post has been posted during this time, do you want to read it first before submitting yours?"

Does this window no longer appear?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Today on two occasions I created a post in the "post a reply" window, then clicked "submit" - but my reply never appeared in the thread. Instead, someone else had posted a reply just before me and their post appeared, but not mine. I know their post appeared after I started creating my reply because I remember who the last poster was and it was not them.
Then, my reply was gone - not in the thread and not in my "create a reply" window, lost forever :shock: Obviously, I should have created a draft of it, but that gets time consuming moving back and forth for a short reply.

In the old software, if someone had posted a reply between the time we started our creation and wanted to submit it, we would receive a notification that said something like "be aware another post has been posted during this time, do you want to read it first before submitting yours?"

Does this window no longer appear?

It's not a window, it's a page... when you hit submit and someone else replied, it will load a page with the reply(ies) at the top of the page and the "compose a post" text box, with your post as you submitted it, at the bottom. You're either supposed to update your post or hit submit again.

You can't just hit submit once and close the tab, or this will happen when there are new replies. The software did the same thing in the last version. As of yesterday, it still behaved like this for me.

My technique to avoid getting hit by this is to always wait for the page to load after I hit submit. If there's a new reply, I'll see that I'm back to an edit box again and I know I have to (optionally) update and hit submit a second time. If it posts successfully, it loads the thread at my new comment, and I review the comment one final time for typos.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Thank you Mudpuppy! I thought I was seeing things disappear.
I am unclear about this however -
Mudpuppy wrote:My technique to avoid getting hit by this is to always wait for the page to load after I hit submit. If there's a new reply, I'll see that I'm back to an edit box again and I know I have to (optionally) update and hit submit a second time. If it posts successfully, it loads the thread at my new comment, and I review the comment one final time for typos.

"If it posts successfully" - post where? in the compose a reply box or edit box or in the thread itself?
"it loads the thread at my new comment" - do you mean loads your comment into the actual thread, or loads the thread into your compose a reply box?
"and I review the comment one final time for typos" - where are you doing this? in the compose a reply box or in the actual thread? and if you find a typo in the actual thread, do you then hit "edit" and edit it quickly?
Thank you for your explanations!

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:32 am

I receive notifications. However, the notification indicator always shows "0". Yet if I look at the notifications, there are some.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:54 am

The short story is that if someone has posted while you were typing, it takes 2 clicks of the submit button to get your post posted. The first click should show you the other person's post (or even several other peoples' posts) and the second click should post your post.

I find that a lot of problems with stuff disappearing (and the dreaded timing out event) are avoided by using the preview button. I always "preview" before I "submit". In that case, the preview will show you other peoples' posts that were posted while you typed and it only takes one click of the submit button to get your stuff posted.

The notifications thing is not helpful to me at all. For any reason.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:33 am

Miriam2 wrote:Thank you Mudpuppy! I thought I was seeing things disappear.
I am unclear about this however -
Mudpuppy wrote:My technique to avoid getting hit by this is to always wait for the page to load after I hit submit. If there's a new reply, I'll see that I'm back to an edit box again and I know I have to (optionally) update and hit submit a second time. If it posts successfully, it loads the thread at my new comment, and I review the comment one final time for typos.

"If it posts successfully" - post where? in the compose a reply box or edit box or in the thread itself?
"it loads the thread at my new comment" - do you mean loads your comment into the actual thread, or loads the thread into your compose a reply box?
"and I review the comment one final time for typos" - where are you doing this? in the compose a reply box or in the actual thread? and if you find a typo in the actual thread, do you then hit "edit" and edit it quickly?
Thank you for your explanations!

"If it posts successfully" and "it loads the thread at my new comment" - When there are no new replies, the submit button takes you back to the thread and shows your reply in the actual thread, with no edit box. That also happens when you hit submit a second time when there are new replies. Basically, keep hitting submit until you see your reply as a thread entry instead of in an edit box.

"and I review the comment one final time for typos" - Yep, I read it in the thread and edit if I notice a glaring typo. I'm trying to teach my inner copy editor to allow minor typos to stand without corrections, but that's hard for my inner copy editor to accept.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:58 pm

^^^ Mudpuppy, thank you for the detailed replies. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mudpuppy wrote:I'm trying to teach my inner copy editor to allow minor typos to stand without corrections, but that's hard for my inner copy editor to accept.

I've already lost argument with my inner copy editor. Grammar is a different story, however.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Posted previously: Subject: Please Try Out Test Posts Here

LadyGeek wrote:Testing bug reported by digarei in Software upgrade bug report: e-mail address parsing

Posting:

Code: Select all

Bogleheads forum user name to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

adds an extra period to the end of the email address - even though it was not initially entered. It shows up in this post after Preview was hit.

Bogleheads forum user name to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com....

This is a confirmed bug and is fixed in phpBB 3.1.4. See discussion here.

We've upgraded to phpBB 3.1.4. I'm posting this again to confirm the bug fix:

Code: Select all

no longer adds an extra period to the end of the email address. It appears correctly as:

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Another bug fixed by the upgrade was one having to do with iOS devices (Apple) in landscape mode.

The technical details: Page is zoomed in by default on iOS devices in landscape mode

We've had a few users report problems with iPads in landscape mode. Hopefully, this took care of it

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:13 pm

iPad seems much better. Thanks.

digarei

Post by digarei » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Another bug fixed by the upgrade was one having to do with iOS devices (Apple) in landscape mode.

The technical details: Page is zoomed in by default on iOS devices in landscape mode

We've had a few users report problems with iPads in landscape mode. Hopefully, this took care of it

This iPad 1st generation iOS 5 user... is happy again. The font sizing in landscape appears to be fixed. :happy

It is interesting that the priority assigned to this bug (per tracker.phpbb.com URL provided by LadyGeek) is/was?:

Trivial ...........!? :shock:
------------

Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com <------- no protective MAIL codes used here to avert formation of trailing periods

Thank you to the diligent and unsalaried programmers who were able to fix these issues!
:sharebeer
Last edited by digarei on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 pm

TomatoTomahto and digarei, thanks for the update.

Yes, programmers have a very different view of priority. "Major" means that something is broken - like you can't post. In this case, it "only" affected the viewing experience - and therefore is a "trivial" inconvenience. :)

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 am

Thank you! It took a day or two before the fix started working for me from when it was reported (I didn't do anything special in the meanwhile), but it's working now and much much more readable :).

dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Woohoo! The forum looks "right" again on my iPad!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Not a bug, but a question. It seems like the length of topic titles has increased. I noticed one that was two lines. That made me realize that I hadn't seen one that was truncated in a while. Was that part of the previous upgrade or this one?

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Good eyes. That's a feature change incorporated when we upgraded from 3.0.x (prior forum style) to 3.1.x (new "responsive" forum style).

The maximum topic title length was changed from 64 to 120 characters. Replies to a topic will now go to 124 characters max.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:25 pm

FYI - We just upgraded the forum software to version 3.1.5, which is the current version.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Usernames went away for a little while. Your suggestion to reload cache and "F5" seems to have fixed that. Thanks.

Workinghard

Post by Workinghard » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Sigh. Been having a lot of problems with the formatting this past week. In the mornings it's "normal". Blue background easy to read. Then in the evenings the background becomes white. I'll click on Quick Links and it's difficult to read and select the right one. The tab for "go to first unread post" will often be under the title of the post. Restarting doesn't make a difference.

Edit: and now it's back to normal.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:12 pm

That sounds like a browser problem. Try clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, start a thread in the Personal Consumer Issues with the details and we'll help you figure it out.

Workinghard

Post by Workinghard » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:06 am

OK, I will try it the next time it happens. I have Safari on my iPad.

MN-Investor

Click to jump to page...

Post by MN-Investor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:21 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

When you want to jump to a new page, you are presented with an array of page numbers to click on along with an icon with a curved arrow for "Click to jump to page..." Unfortunately, that option does not appear to work. At least not for me.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Click to jump to page...

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks. That doesn't work for me, either. I'll look into it.

Here's an example thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:40 pm

In the past few hours forum has become so slow as to almost unusable, again. IE browser on Windows 7 machine. thank you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:38 pm

I notice the slow response as well. I'd call it part of our "growing pains" and let mingstar (server admin) know.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:05 pm

^^^ We're back to "normal" response time.

MN-Investor wrote:...When you want to jump to a new page, you are presented with an array of page numbers to click on along with an icon with a curved arrow for "Click to jump to page..." Unfortunately, that option does not appear to work. At least not for me.

I did some investigation. This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. Jump to page function does not work since 3.1.5 upgrade

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:08 pm

I received PMs from two members stating that certain member profiles were showing an inactive status.* The right side of the member profile, under "User Statistics", was displaying:

Last active: -

Why were members with lots of posts never active? After some deep-dive searching, there is nothing wrong. It's not a bug, it's a feature. :shock:

The login prompt has is a checkbox for "Hide my online status this session". Members can surf the forum while logged in, but not show their presence to other members. **

Members can see who's not hiding online at the bottom of the Board index page. Note that it counts hidden users in the statistics total.

Logging in with "Hide my online status this session" checked will set the "Last active: -" status. You can check this with your own account.

The software developers did this intentionally - "If someone were hidden, their Last Activity would be "now", which would mean that anyone could tell they were hidden if they could see that column." This feature has been around for quite some time; we won't be changing it.

===============
* You can see the member's profile info by searching for their name in the member list (Find a member or clicking on the username found on the right-hand side of every post. (You must be logged in to view this information.)

** Members cannot hide their presence from moderators and site admins.Conversely, moderators and site admins cannot hide their presence from the members. I never saw the problem because I can see all members, regardless of status. Everyone can see when I'm online no matter what.

Update: Checking further, I may have misunderstood how hidden users works. I do appear to be hidden to members. See the FAQ: FAQ (top left menu of every page), but it doesn't say anything about the visibility of moderators and site admins. I was going by memory from what I thought we did in version 2.x. In any case, this is how the software works now.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am

I know it's nothing you guys can change, but that seems to be pretty poor stealth on the part of the phpBB developers. Instead of telling someone is hiding by seeing "Last active" with a current date/time but no "Online" banner, one can tell someone is hiding by seeing "Last active: -" and no "Online" banner.

Of course, to make the Last active field seem reasonable when someone is hiding, they'd have to do something like store the "last last" login date/time stamp to display when someone selects the hiding option.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:30 pm

The login prompt has a checkbox for "Hide my online status this session". Members can surf the forum while logged in, but not show their presence to other members. **

I'm curious. Why would anyone care?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Taylor,

The forum software, phpBB, is the world's #1 open-source bulletin board software. It supports everything there is to discuss. While hiding one's status may not make sense here, it does elsewhere.

--LadyGeek

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Lady Geek:

Thank you and best wishes.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 am

MN-Investor wrote:[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

When you want to jump to a new page, you are presented with an array of page numbers to click on along with an icon with a curved arrow for "Click to jump to page..." Unfortunately, that option does not appear to work. At least not for me.

During the change-over to the new server, we took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest phpBB software 3.1.6.

"Jump to a new page" was broken and a documented bug in version 3.1.5 (what we used before). It is now fixed in 3.1.6

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:48 am

I'd like to make a few comments how time is displayed.

- When logged into the forum, the software uses the time zone set in the User Control Panel and adjusts accordingly.

- When not logged in, the software sets the displayed time to US Central time.

The home page does not use the forum software and gets its time directly from the server. We do this in order to allow readers to view the forum without logging in.

For consistency, we have set the home page's time zone to match the forum when not logged in - US Central time (UTC - 5 hours).

The time zone setting became quickly apparent after we put the new server online. All of the posts on the home page were displaying UTC (GMT). This was quickly changed back to US Central.

As for daylight savings time, the forum software will adjust automatically. Those not logged-in or viewing the home page will see the time shift 1 hour.

gd

Post by gd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:44 am

There seem to be a lot of threads started many years ago, resurrected for various reasons and drifted long past the OP's issue that drew my attention. In some cases it's an update, probably more it's just a result of someone's search without restricting dates. I haven't managed to train myself to check this at the start. It'd be nice to have a marker on the OP, like a red "Old Thread" subheader, when it's more than perhaps 6 months ago.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think the age of the thread should have any special meaning.

It doesn't make sense to start a new thread, as the result would be a rehash of the earlier information. The information will also get scattered across several threads, context will be lost.

Additionally, the members who've contributed in the older thread will get a chance to participate in the renewed discussion - the thread will show up in the Your posts drop-down list.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Is it possible to add a "first unread" URL link to the old forum listing (http://www.bogleheads.org) to match the topic links in the "Topic reply notification" emails?

Why?
So we can use the topic replies on the old forum listing to quickly get to our first unread reply.
So all three methods (old forum listing, new forum listing, email topic reply notification) give the same capability.

Currently, the old forum listing gives URLs as viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568&newpost=2716521 . Or offset by 50+ to access different pages.

This request asks for a new URL link on the old forum listing that works with the new forum software to take us to: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568&e=1&view=unread#unread

Displayed something like (or your choice):
    226 t TLH for absolute dummies [Tax Loss Harvesting] 08/26 Roothy 16:46 fortyofforty
    first unread page: 2 3 4 5

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Sorry, but you need to be logged in to utilize a "first unread" status. The home page is intentionally designed to not require a login, we're not going to change that.

You can already view "first unread" by selecting Your posts under the "Quick links" menu at the top left corner of this page.

Look for a small orange icon just to the left of the thread title, which is the first post you haven't read in the thread ("last unread"). See: What do the forum icons mean? for a small picture of the icon (3rd from the bottom).

The link can be bookmarked for quick access.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:13 am

Didn't realize the forum auto login feature didn't work from home page. Was trying to access unread new posts with least possible keystrokes: "diehards.org".

Completely forgot I could bookmark "New posts" under Quick links. That'll work, and it is fewer keystrokes. Thanks.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:11 am

Quick question/suggestion...is there any way to include a "thanks" or "thumbs up" type of button in the future (similar to the "like" button on Facebook)? It would be nice to have something like this to show an appreciation or thanks to someone's post.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:46 pm

yolli71 wrote:Quick question/suggestion...is there any way to include a "thanks" or "thumbs up" type of button in the future (similar to the "like" button on Facebook)? It would be nice to have something like this to show an appreciation or thanks to someone's post.

:thumbsup

I know that's not what you meant, but couldn't resist. However, it's true that doing something like this, or just quoting followed by "+1" is the common workaround on the forum.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 pm

bertilak

Focus!

Post by bertilak » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:53 am

When I create a new post (via reply, quote, or new topic) the focus does NOT land on the input area, so when I start typing nothing happens until I hit the space bar which seems to be a hot-key that causes the screen to jump around and do who-know-what-else.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:18 pm

bertilak wrote:When I create a new post (via reply, quote, or new topic) the focus does NOT land on the input area, so when I start typing nothing happens until I hit the space bar which seems to be a hot-key that causes the screen to jump around and do who-know-what-else.

I can reproduce your problem on 2 different browsers, but I never really noticed this before. I've always clicked on the edit window and started typing from there. Is it a bug? I'm not sure.

What happens before setting the window focus depends on your browser's interpretation of the SPACE character.