Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
archbish99

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by archbish99 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Minor bug, but the login page says:
In order to login you must be registered.

"Login" is a noun. "Log in" is a verb.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri May 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Data point. Submitted from my old PC (FF v2)..

I only checked the first page of all demo styles at the library and with my old browser. (I used a library PC to ensure I knew what each page was supposed to look like.)

With respect to FF v2.

PBTech and PBWow have small font foreground/background issues that make them difficult to read small font items. But as this is mostly ancillary information/links, it's not that big of an issue.

All other styles are okay to read, with the caveat that Black and Digi seem to be too dark (background, I could increase screen brightness), Basic a little too bright (background, I could reduce screen brightness), and Simplicity's green headers are not a favorite.

(Added) Prefer the styles that list one forum area on a line, not two.

My old browser thinks all demo screens are twice as tall as does the library PC's, because I must use PgUp/PgDn and the vertical scroll bar to view the whole screen. (The library PC's screen shows the whole of each demo page without the scroll bar and without the need to PgUp/PgDn.) On the other hand, the forum’s current index page displays nicely on one screen. And the forum’s list of New Posts display nicely on one scrolled screen.

I did notice in the demos that whatever "Unresponsive script" is active on the forum is not active in the demos.

The forum's popup sub-menus (Subscribe/Unsubscribe, New posts,...) are usable. The Quick Links icon label is visible. The wrench/drop-down arrow icons are not visible. The post quote/edit/delete/report icons are not visible. I see blank outlined boxes where the missing icons should be. But as I now know where they are, I can feel for them and read the explanatory mouse-over popup.

Bottom line. It appears I should be able to use whatever the forum decides upon with only a few work arounds.

I was surprised that two forum popup confirmations were required to Subscribe to a topic (one for Email, one for Notification?). If we must, then I can live with it.
Last edited by dratkinson on Sat May 09, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 09, 2015 10:31 am

It appears that Notifications stopped working sometime in the early hours of Saturday morning.

a

Post by a » Sat May 09, 2015 6:34 pm

I use a desktop.

I currently think this board has the best formatting and
bulletin board system of all the boards I use. For example,
Reddit uses this "threading" or "conversational" re-organization
of posts method which I find obscuring.

I also do not like how Reddit uses post ratings to override
temporal order. (Post rating is okay but it should not
affect the content or ordering of posts.)

Basically, the "old fashioned" but streamlined posting
system used here, as well as the especially nice
no frills list layout of all currently running threads
(sorted by date for newest response) works very well
for me currently.

Again, the minimalist nature is great and I also enjoy
that we have some freedom to format our text with a little
customization. Line breaks, at least. (Reddit does not
allow line breaks which is an abomination.)

The only things I would like added is the ability to
insert two spaces in a row in text without that being
formatted out. And also the ability to use a monospace
font at times (like Courier).

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat May 09, 2015 7:10 pm

retiredjg wrote:It appears that Notifications stopped working sometime in the early hours of Saturday morning.

They actually stopped a day or two prior, when Alex disabled them...
Attempted new signature...

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 am

The Wizard wrote:
retiredjg wrote:It appears that Notifications stopped working sometime in the early hours of Saturday morning.

They actually stopped a day or two prior, when Alex disabled them...

It seems that Alex disabled them a week ago, then they came back on and worked until at least 4 am Saturday the 9th. Now they have disappeared again. I was just wondering if the problem was me. Apparently not.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Please see this thread by mingstar: Running the site on multiple servers
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 10, 2015 4:10 pm

An email setting on the server was recently changed. Thanks for posting about the problem, email notifications should be OK now.

The Notifications which appeared at the top-right of the forum's header are still disabled.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun May 10, 2015 4:14 pm

LadyGeek wrote:An email setting on the server was recently changed. Thanks for posting about the problem, email notifications should be OK now.

Yes, they are working now, thank you!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun May 10, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm using my smartphone on the site with the mobile version.
I wanted to send someone a PM related to a specific post and couldn't do it.
Please enable proper response to the Request Desktop Site function...
Attempted new signature...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 10, 2015 4:35 pm

I believe you are asking to manually swap between "desktop" and the "mobile" styles.

That's a User Interface concern, of which we have quite a few comments. Alex Frakt has created a dedicated thread: UI issues (especially iPad)? please evaluate alternate styles

Please post your comments in that thread so we have all of the style questions in one spot.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 am

Is there some issue where random images are being displayed in the background of particular areas? On the banner, I'm seeing a tiled image with "Compound Interest The 8th Wonder of the World" and something else random on the left side. (Since this is resulting in white text on a light blue background—essentially unreadable—I'm assuming this isn't intentional.) I'm also seeing what looks like a couple of other random images for the backgrounds of all the buttons on the Post a Reply page (e.g. the Img button).
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 am

The Wizard wrote:I'm using my smartphone on the site with the mobile version.

If you are referring to the mobile app, that's an unauthorized commercial site and the owner is illegally using the trademarked "Bogleheads" name. We plan to take legal action against the app owner.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:

If you are referring to the mobile app, that's an unauthorized commercial site and the owner is illegally using the trademarked "Bogleheads" name. We plan to take legal action against the app owner.

The new version of the phpBB prosilver style is now mobile-aware. On my Android phone, the prosilver style shows just the left column of a thread. Since the PM button is in the right column of a thread, perhaps that is what The Wizard is complaining about.

If that's the case, you should be able to click on the username in the right column to get to the profile. I don't want to log in on my phone to check, but the profile should have a link to send the user a private message.

Of course, sending a PM through the profile link would not automatically propagate the title of the post into the PM. So if The Wizard wants that functionality, then it would appear to be missing in the mobile-aware version of prosilver.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon May 11, 2015 12:49 pm

On my Android Note 4 smartphone, I can send a PM or email by clicking on the person's name. In fact, I just sent you a PM using my smartphone after clicking on your username in your above post. Give it a try.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon May 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Mel, while you can send a new PM via the method you describe, on a smartphone you don't have access to the "Contact:" dropdown that allows you to send a PM quoting the specific post. I'm pretty sure that is the functionality that The Wizard and Mudpuppy are pointing out as missing.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Mel, while you can send a new PM via the method you describe, on a smartphone you don't have access to the "Contact:" dropdown that allows you to send a PM quoting the specific post. I'm pretty sure that is the functionality that The Wizard and Mudpuppy are pointing out as missing.

OK, I didn't try that. I thought he just wanted to send a PM to someone after reading his/her post.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 pm

mingstar has given the go-ahead to turn on Notifications.

Notifications are now enabled. Look on right side of the forum header, just to the left of Private Messages).

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon May 11, 2015 7:36 pm

LadyGeek wrote:mingstar has given the go-ahead to turn on Notifications.

Notifications are now enabled. Look on right side of the forum header, just to the left of Private Messages).

I can't seem to click on these notifications to read them, nor do I seem to be able to delete them.
Gordon

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

You can't delete them, but you can mark them all read - which changes the notification count to 0. Look in the top right corner of the pull-down menu.

However, you should be able to click on them.

General comments:

When a notification is set, the browser's tab will change to show the number of notifications waiting. For example, you'll see a "(1)" if you have one notification waiting.

You can manage which notifications you want by going to the User Control Panel->Board preferences->Edit notification options (the direct link if you're logged in is Edit notification options).

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon May 11, 2015 8:14 pm

LadyGeek wrote:You can't delete them, but you can mark them all read - which changes the notification count to 0. Look in the top right corner of the pull-down menu.

However, you should be able to click on them....

I am not able to click on them.
Gordon

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 11, 2015 9:22 pm

gkaplan wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:You can't delete them, but you can mark them all read - which changes the notification count to 0. Look in the top right corner of the pull-down menu.

However, you should be able to click on them....

I am not able to click on them.

Clicking Notifications brings up a kind of pop-up box (not the old-fashioned "new window" type of pop-up box but probably something like a new CSS box), instead of going to a new page. So maybe you have an extension or setting that is blocking that pop-up box. Or perhaps your browser doesn't properly understand the HTML/CSS language being used, so it can't render the pop-up box.

Do you see the pop-up box when you click "Mark topics read" at the top of the forum listing? It looks to be a similar sort of pop-up box. If you don't see it either, then I'd really say it's something in your browser causing the issue.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 11, 2015 9:35 pm

^^^ Thanks.

I've mentioned this a few months ago, but it might have gotten lost in the noise:

- This software no longer works with Internet Explorer 6 or 7. If you want all the features, you need to upgrade your browser.

For the software crowd:

phpBB 3.1.x utilizes JSON (JavaScript Object Notation), which is not supported by IE 6 or 7.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon May 11, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm using Firefox 37.0.1. I have right clicked on Notifications to open it in a new tab. I have also clicked on Notifications to bring up a drop-down menu. In both cases, I can't open any of the notifications. None of the notifications has a link to click to open. In both instances, each notification has sort of a box to the left of the notification, but nothing happens when I hover my cursor over the box.

(Edited for grammar and clarity.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

digarei

Software upgrade bug report: e-mail address parsing

Post by digarei » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 pm

LadyGeek wrote:You can manage which notifications you want by going to the User Control Panel->Board preferences->Edit notification options (the direct link if you're logged in is Edit notification options).

Issue #1- The Case of the Unchecked Rechecked Boxes

Perhaps JSON also does not work with Safari on an iPad 1st gen?

I have not found the Edit Notification Options feature to be 100% functional on my iPad. I've already posted about this...just now tested it again to see if this was still a problem for me—it is. After I clear (uncheck) one or more notification buttons in the right column to turn them off and SUBMIT the form, it reports that the changes to preferences were successful but after returning to the notification edit page, I see that all of the buttons have been, uh....rechecked. Bug or feature? :D

And yet it seems to work fine with email notifications on the same screen:
Unchecked boxes stay unchecked.

----------------------
Issue #2 - The Whole World is (an Ellipsis........)

However, today I wish to report something that I just began noticing yesterday. The engine that parses text and BBCode attaches a period to the end of any unquoted e-mail address it encounters. This appears to happen each time the Preview or Submit button is activated when creating or editing a post using 'Post a Reply'.

See, for example, a thread I started on April 24 (link below)--- the first post has not been edited since then and the email address string is displayed correctly (no trailing period). The second post dated May 5 also contains an email address but note the periods at the end of the address. I didn't place them there! --- Interesting, no?

Sacramento Chapter @ Aioli Bodega 11 AM Sat May 9, 2015

Bonus: do you wonder how I noticed this wee bug? easy. im a slow n terribkee typist end mek a lots of miistakes so i hav tu clek Preview a lut.

----------------------------
Edited 5-17-15 to add:

More testing has persuaded me that this last item is a new bug in the code but seems to be largely aesthetic: even with fifteen periods attached the mail address was functional when clicked.

The dots (periods) that PREVIEW/SUBMIT appends to e-mail addresses when creating or editing a post are easily demonstrated -- I'm able to replicate this parsing issue 100% of the time with any of the provided user interfaces. Two ways to work around this problem:

1) enclose the address in double quotes; and
2) use the explicit BBCode for SMTP address conversion.

Be aware that users may not be able to click through to their mail client when quotes are used. Examples:

Code: Select all

1. "UserID@Domain.org" 

2. [email]UserID@Domain.org[/email]

Last edited by digarei on Sun May 17, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Data point. Notifications seem to work okay with Firefox v2. Really. :o

(Edit) Open notification in new tab. My browser is setup to "open new page in new tab", but clicking a notification over-writes current tab. "Right-click open notification in new tab", works.

Clearing notifications option. Still can't turn off notifications (box is re-marked after I clear it) without also turning off emails.

Question: Deleting notifications. How are old notifications removed from the system? Are they cleared out after a few days? Would seem to be a waste of space to keep them indefinitely.

After seeing notifications in operation, can see feature's advantage for keeping track of subscribed topics while on forum without the need to fetch new emails. Nice feature.

User icons. Assume user icons now embedding in new code script that I'm not able to see. Will miss seeing the butterfly, the cute kids, and Bob's handsome cat. Just a price of obsolescence.

digarei

SQL error

Post by digarei » Thu May 14, 2015 3:16 pm

General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: sorry, too many clients already at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

date/time: 5-14-2015. Approx 1:10 pm PDT

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165029&start=50

Client (not logged in):
iPad Safari iOS 5.1.1

In total there are 495 users online :: 66 registered, 12 hidden and 417 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks, I let mingstar (server admin) know.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 pm

When I make a long post, I find it disconcerting that the text window enlarges as new lines appear; is there an option to keep the window size fixed and add a scroll bar as soon as the text gets too large for the current window size?
David Grabiner

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 pm

There's no expanding post option, meaning a feature that's enabled or disabled by a site admin. This is a fundamental aspect of the updated UI, so we're not amenable to changing it.

I thought this new feature was a productive improvement, as it was inconvenient to constantly use the scroll bar to view a long post.

Using a separate text editor of your preference would work (outside of phpBB), but is less efficient due to the repeated need to copy-n-paste into the post editing box.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Using a separate text editor of your preference would work (outside of phpBB), but is less efficient due to the repeated need to copy-n-paste into the post editing box.

But when you use an external editor for a long post, you gain the added reliability of not losing your entire post to a browser crash, flaky Internet connection, flaky session authentication issue, or any other little hiccups that happen occasionally. The extra actions of copy/paste may be worth not having that particular annoyance hit.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Fri May 15, 2015 5:25 am

I'm now seeing an issue where I'm seeing a dog picture in the upper lefthand corner of quote blocks. (I have a screenshot if you want to see what I mean.) This is in Safari on iPad.
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri May 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Using a separate text editor of your preference would work (outside of phpBB), but is less efficient due to the repeated need to copy-n-paste into the post editing box.

But when you use an external editor for a long post, you gain the added reliability of not losing your entire post to a browser crash, flaky Internet connection, flaky session authentication issue, or any other little hiccups that happen occasionally. The extra actions of copy/paste may be worth not having that particular annoyance hit.

+1

Plus you get the spelling and grammar checking features of the other editing tool, and local storage of a draft post to work on later off-line.

Ctrl-a/Copy Ctrl-a/paste is then quick to transfer whole document before Previewing to double-check formatting before Submitting post.

Bottom line. Short quick posts (like this) I work on here. Long posts are helped by running through Word.

denovo

Re: SQL error

Post by denovo » Sat May 16, 2015 2:52 pm

digarei wrote:General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: sorry, too many clients already at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

date/time: 5-14-2015. Approx 1:10 pm PDT

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165029&start=50

Client (not logged in):
iPad Safari iOS 5.1.1

In total there are 495 users online :: 66 registered, 12 hidden and 417 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

Been getting this a lot too today.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 16, 2015 3:00 pm

denovo wrote:Been getting this a lot too today.

Me too
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 16, 2015 3:38 pm

I have not gotten that today, but the forum is so slow there is obviously something going on.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 16, 2015 3:55 pm

I see the error as well. It's a symptom that the server is getting too many viewers (high amount of traffic), not that there's anything "wrong" with the software.

This is a good problem to have, as it means we're getting more popular. However, we need to adapt to the change.

I let mingstar (server admin) know.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat May 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Me, too.
Gordon

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Not sure when it began, but all of the font sizes on the screen I'm typing this into, as well as the consolidated landing page, are

a) smaller than they used to be, and
b) smaller than I want them to be.

It's not itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny text, but

I think this, size=104, is about the same as size=100 used to be

I don't want to be too demanding about this but if someone who knows off the top of their head could spoonfeed me on
--how to tell Safari to use a custom .css stylesheet whenever it is accessing Bogleheads, and
--what I need to put in the stylesheet and so forth, it would save me some work.

I don't think it's Safari-specific as I'm seeing the same thing on Firefox.

I think it started within the last two or three days--I didn't notice it just after the upgrade.

Mac OS X 10.3.3, Safari 8.0.6

Yes, I know how to enlarge text with the command-+ command, but a) I'd like it to be automatic, and b) of course the steps are too big--command-0 is too small and one click on command-+ makes it too big.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 16, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm betting it started about a day ago. See my post here: Re: UI issues (especially iPad)? please evaluate alternate styles

The idea is to be identical to the "stock" style.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 16, 2015 6:50 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I'm betting it started about a day ago. See my post here: Re: UI issues (especially iPad)? please evaluate alternate styles

I just checked a couple of other phpBB sites, Ars Technica and Info-Mac, and they all do seem to be using the same just-a-wee-bit-too-small type size--and I agree that sticking to the "stock" style is the Right Thing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

digarei

Post by digarei » Sat May 16, 2015 9:02 pm

nisiprius wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:I'm betting it started about a day ago. See my post here: Re: UI issues (especially iPad)? please evaluate alternate styles

I just checked a couple of other phpBB sites, Ars Technica and Info-Mac, and they all do seem to be using the same just-a-wee-bit-too-small type size--and I agree that sticking to the "stock" style is the Right Thing.

Goldilocks looked forlornly down at her tablet. Mustering her courage, she blurted out,

"But Mr. Bear! My iPad runs Safari,too—and everything is "just-a-wee-bit-too-large!"

And Mr. Bear felt sorry for Goldilocks and for all of the poor urchins everywhere still using an iPad 1—so they could afford to max out their 401(k)s this year and otherwise meet their financial goals. Fortunately, Ms. Bear had extensive programming experience and knew a secret configuration variable! When this was set, it would magically make ALL user interfaces seem juuust right!

Sadly, Baby Bear had no such illusions and was quite hungry: He ate Goldilocks, iPad and all....

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 16, 2015 9:20 pm

nisiprius wrote:I don't want to be too demanding about this but if someone who knows off the top of their head could spoonfeed me on
--how to tell Safari to use a custom .css stylesheet whenever it is accessing Bogleheads, and
--what I need to put in the stylesheet and so forth, it would save me some work.

The only thing that pops to mind for Firefox is Greasemonkey, but that would mean learning how to write scripts (unless there's a user-supplied script specific to phpBB fonts in a Greasemonkey repository... might be given how popular phpBB is). It does look like Safari has some Greasemonkey-like extensions: https://www.google.com/search?q=greasem ... 8&oe=utf-8

I've used Greasemonkey a lot to tame the annoying features of the stylesheets on certain sites. Perhaps a little too much, because then I forget about the annoying features when sending a link to a friend. But the nice thing is you don't need a completely different stylesheet. You just overwrite the features you find annoying and Greasemonkey leaves the rest untouched.

digarei

Shifting thread views

Post by digarei » Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 am

Twin formats?

I'm not sure if the following is a bug, a feature, an anomaly... or a good reason why I shouldn't be entrusted with power tools or computers.

Has anyone else noted that the thread format changes if the screen is refreshed (i.e., when the web page gets reloaded)?

Someone is going to suggest that this has been a feature of the board since Edison -- maybe.

Format 1 - First displayed when topic selected. Full width. Limited User info, on top.

Format 2 - After screen refreshed. Post content the same. User info expanded to right.

iPad 1 iOS 5 Safari | prosilver

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 17, 2015 11:37 am

Let's continue this focused discussion in the dedicated UI thread. See my post here: Re: UI issues (especially iPad)? please evaluate alternate styles

Leeraar

Deleted

Post by Leeraar » Fri May 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Leeraar on Sat May 23, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: I do not like the new notification link

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Leeraar wrote:...
If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=166288&e=1&view=unread#unread

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=166288

The notification has changed since the last "upgrade" of the phpbb software. Quoted is a notification I received earlier. It should take me here:

viewtopic.php?p=2499403#p2499403

which it did, but only the first time I clicked on it. If I return later and click on the link, it takes me to the first message in the topic (thread). In other words, the first link (in red) devolves to the second link (in green) after it is used once.

The last part of the red link "view=unread#unread" says to go to the post which hasn't been read before. Once you do that, the forum software marks the post as "read." Clicking on that link again will go to the start of the thread because you've already read everything (no unread posts remain). That's the same place as the green link, but it goes there for a different reason.

The notification features are not intended to be customized, so we'll leave them alone.

Leeraar

Deleted

Post by Leeraar » Fri May 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Leeraar on Sat May 23, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leeraar

Deleted

Post by Leeraar » Sat May 23, 2015 8:31 am

Deleted
Last edited by Leeraar on Sat May 23, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mudpuppy

Re: I do not like the new notification link

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Leeraar wrote:This is from 2/1/14. Note that the link (in red) is to a specific message. My complaint is that the behavior is now different, compare the link that is now sent with notifications, which is set to display "unread".

And by the way, if I have read all the messages in a thread, by what logic does "unread" mean the first message of the thread?

L.

I don't think anyone is denying that the behavior is different. But if this is what the software does now (generates the link with the unread tag instead of the ID of your first unread post), then you'll just have to adapt to that. The admins have said time and again that they are not modifying the core code of the phpBB software, but they are willing to make small tweaks to the style/GUI (e.g. the font issues previous discussed).

The format of the notifications likely falls into the arena of core code. Unless there happens to be a phpBB admin panel option to change the style of linking in notification emails, it's likely not going to change, even with complaints.