Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
Tamales

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by Tamales » Mon May 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but will it be possible to add post numbering to each thread? This is about the only forum I can recall in all my years of internet forum use that doesn't have post numbers. I find it useful for taking notes or for writing reminders to go back and read certain posts when I'm short on time. Also useful when replying, e.g. "back in post 5, Wilbur answered that question."

Rox

Post by Rox » Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 am

I'm posting my thoughts here, I may have placed my comments in the wrong thread. LadyGeek, feel free to rip my post from the other thread if it belongs only here ...

I appreciate all the intentions to keep the site "up to date" etc, etc ... Having said that, here's my personal feedback. Browsing the forums on a mobile device is extremely frustrating.

iPhone 6, UTD software:
forum topic lists - These no longer show original author. I would like to make sure I see a post from, say, Larry or Rick ... I can no longer tell who authored the topic unless I select each and every post.

forum topic lists - These no longer show original date of post. I would like to know if the topic "Vanguard Security Hole" was written recently or if it's a "zombied post" resurrected from 2 yrs back BEFORE I click the link. I can no longer tell because the original date is not shown on the forum topic list.

forum topic threads - These no longer show any poster information. I value all contributions from the forum members. I recognize a great many of the regular contributors. However, every now and then there is a poster I do not recognize. I like to see "date joined, number of posts" as it helps me see if the advice given is from someone of a particular "era" in the BH lifecycle, how active this person is, etc, etc. At a glance, I could see if the advice from a poster regarding "stay the course" has actually been a BH member for more than 3 weeks, or if they were preaching a set of principles during the '08/'09 crash. Frustrating.

Forum General - Landscape mode no longer allows for any "pinch/zoom" functionality. In portrait mode, the function exists. However, once I tip my phone over to landscape (my preferred method of browsing), I lose any ability to adjust size including text, graphs, pics. I now have to constantly flip the phone in order to read text and view a graph within a thread. I look like I'm having a medical problem while browsing the site.

Forum General - Landscape is locked in a very large font. I appreciate that a certain subset of BH'ers will enjoy this change. For me, it is extremely frustrating to have such a large font, but I also realize it's related to my prior bullet point, no pinch/zoom in landscape. It might sound silly, but it is actually uncomfortable to read such large font when there are long sentences. I find that I have to scroll to read a complete thought. In addition, the organization/indentation loses its effect when the fonts are so large. Many posters go through good efforts to make "readable" posts with these techniques. It communicates ideas in a better way. These efforts are lost while the font is so large and not "zoom'able".

Site General - There is no "view in desktop mode" option. I could avoid ALL these issues if I simply had the option to view the site in desktop mode. Alas, there is no such option that I can find. Even when I use my browser to "select desktop site" to force "desktop agent", the site FORCES my phone to render the "mobile version" ... which for all the above reasons, ... %$*@(*&Y :confused :annoyed :oops:

I hope these thoughts are constructive and lead to improvements. It's only through feedback that I can expect good changes. I hope that my good intentions come through more than my frustrations as outlined above. In the meantime, I'm stuck using a desktop to get all the goodness this forum offers.

Rox

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue May 05, 2015 9:49 am

Rox wrote:I appreciate all the intentions to keep the site "up to date" etc, etc ... Having said that, here's my personal feedback. Browsing the forums on a mobile device is extremely frustrating.

Agreed.

I've got an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4.

When clicking on "New Posts," all I get is the topic title, the original poster, the date of the original post, and the main forum in which the post is located.

What I'd like to see (and truly miss) is how many views and replies each post has.

This information was available on the previous software version when viewing on my iPhone.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 am

Rox wrote:Having said that, here's my personal feedback. Browsing the forums on a mobile device is extremely frustrating.

I'm in the opposite camp. I'd previously tried to visit the site using my iPhone with the previous version of the software. It was absolutely unusable with all the pinch/zoom/scrolling required. So I gave up and never attempted it again, I'd just wait until I was back on a desktop/laptop or tablet. In my case, since the upgrade, I am back visiting via my iPhone. Is it "fully" functional as compared to using a desktop or laptop? Is it my preference means to use the forum? I'd answer a qualified no to both questions, I'd still much prefer to visit via a desktop, but I still find I'm getting a good experience when visiting using an iPhone.

That said, you've provided a lot of good feedback on specific issues. I can concur with some of them, while for me others I don't have a specific need or want for the information. As you state, user's who have a previous experience with the desktop version and have developed "habits" when using the site may find some challenges with the changes. Change isn't easy, it involves relearning things that we are comfortable with. Change does tend to take time for people to make adjustments in their "habits".

Having a software design/development background, I recognize the challenge of supporting mobile devices, which have less screen real-estate and the possibility of bandwidth constraints (no everyone has an unlimited data plan). This generally dictates trying to identify the critical elements and trying to figure out what can be removed/hidden without impacting the user experience. Of course, the challenge becomes that different groups of users value different elements. That's not an easy problem to solve. Now extend that beyond just the BH forum and across the whole of the phpBB installed base. Short of cramming everything back into the interface, or offering the option to switch to the "desktop" version, I don't think it is possible to satisfy everyone's requirements. But that doesn't mean that we (and they) shouldn't try. I suspect that the phpBB development team will learn from the feedback they receive and they may refine/improve the product over time. Remember, this is the first release that included this functionality.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Tue May 05, 2015 11:06 am

madbrain wrote:Another issue, which is more annoying, and a regression :

When maximizing/widening a browser window containing a bogleheads.org thread, such as this one, There are now wide blank margins on the left and right, which didn't use to be there.

I can make these margins disappear by enlarging the font, but that misses the point - I can't read utilize the screen efficiently that way, which I used to be able to do.

These margins only seem to be appear when the browser window is wider than about 60% of my screen with, which is 2560 pixels.
This is with Firefox 37 on Windows. I just tried in Chrome and the same behavior occurs, but worse.

+1 and the screen that shows a listing of recent posts in blue font ,on my machine , could be more centered if possible so as not to give one the feeling that there's something out of view on the left side .

But I think Alex and all the other volunteers are doing a great job in making this website so enjoyable .

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am

Tamales wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned, but will it be possible to add post numbering to each thread? This is about the only forum I can recall in all my years of internet forum use that doesn't have post numbers. I find it useful for taking notes or for writing reminders to go back and read certain posts when I'm short on time. Also useful when replying, e.g. "back in post 5, Wilbur answered that question."

The forum software does have post numbering. Look for the p=number part of the address bar to get the post number (and also t=number for thread numbers). But also notice the size of those numbers. There are a whole lot of posts and threads on this forum. For example, your post is post 2481347 and this thread is thread 165036. That's an awful long mouthful to refer to in other posts.

It would just be easier to set up a bookmark folder for your favorite posts, then copy/paste the location URL when you wish to refer to them. And then the forum would turn them into clickable links, saving people the time to have to do a search. For example, "back in post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036 bugs in the new software were discussed"

Edit: And if you just meant numbering posts within threads, that's what quoting is for. You can just say "Earlier in the thread, Wilbur answered the question with this:" and then use the quote feature. You can also link to a specific post by clicking on it's title to get its URL, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&start=100#p2481347

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Two things:

When I log on each time to view if there are any new posts on my authored threads, every single thread is marked as if there are previously unread posts since I last read all of them. Now I don't know which ones have new posts and which ones don't.

Secondly, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" What was broke in the previous forum software? I liked it better than this one since it actually worked.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:43 pm

So far so good on my Android phone running Kit Kat. So much easier to view and post now.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Rox

Post by Rox » Tue May 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote: you've provided a lot of good feedback on specific issues. I can concur with some of them, while for me others I don't have a specific need or want for the information. As you state, user's who have a previous experience with the desktop version and have developed "habits" when using the site may find some challenges with the changes. Change isn't easy, it involves relearning things that we are comfortable with. Change does tend to take time for people to make adjustments in their "habits"

I agree, all users will have their own feel for how things work/don't work. My experience is just one voice. If my observations help find instances/areas for improvement, then that's excellent. My issues are not about "habits" -- it''s about functionality that I can't work around in its current format. But at least offering THIS option would "solve" everything without the needing anything fancy ...

Peculiar_Investor wrote:offering the option to switch to the "desktop" version,

Give me the option at least(?) -don't just force me to endure a gimped mobile version when all it takes is a singular option to render the "already functional" desktop version. I'm not asking for "old functions" to be returned. I just want to be able to see what's on the usual site, changes and all ... !

Rox

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Rox wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote: you've provided a lot of good feedback on specific issues. I can concur with some of them, while for me others I don't have a specific need or want for the information. As you state, user's who have a previous experience with the desktop version and have developed "habits" when using the site may find some challenges with the changes. Change isn't easy, it involves relearning things that we are comfortable with. Change does tend to take time for people to make adjustments in their "habits"

I agree, all users will have their own feel for how things work/don't work. My experience is just one voice. If my observations help find instances/areas for improvement, then that's excellent. My issues are not about "habits" -- it''s about functionality that I can't work around in its current format. But at least offering THIS option would "solve" everything without the needing anything fancy ...

Peculiar_Investor wrote:offering the option to switch to the "desktop" version,

Give me the option at least(?) -don't just force me to endure a gimped mobile version when all it takes is a singular option to render the "already functional" desktop version. I'm not asking for "old functions" to be returned. I just want to be able to see what's on the usual site, changes and all ... !

Rox

I agree. I love the site, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it but as I posted earlier this new version just doesn't work right on iPhone 5 or 6 and having the desktop version available as a mobile option would be great.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Font is too big in landscape view on iPad.

ogd

Post by ogd » Tue May 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:Server-side tracking is a new feature. Disabling it means read/unread post tracking works the same way it has for the last 8 years. Even though it says client-side, the software still does something server-side, I think based on expired sessions, so it's not completely off when you switch devices. It's never been perfect, but folks have manged to live with it.

Hi Alex -- as a heavy user of this feature (switching from desktop to mobile frequently), I am pretty sure that it worked server-side before, and it was too fast to have anything to do with expired sessions; within minutes at most. I am also sure that now it doesn't and the two clients hold their unread status separately, without ever synchronizing. For example, there's a post I read yesterday that's still unread on mobile.

It would be nice to get this back in shape. "View your posts" is (was) my inbox of sorts.

Alex Frakt wrote:I think the problem of having all of your posts showing up as unread is the result of one of those new features I turned off. Specifically 'Enable server-side topic marking: Stores read/unread status information in the database rather than a cookie". You can imagine the size of the database table required to hold everyone's read topics

Shouldn't be that great -- one post number per reading user per thread. The status was never at the granularity of single posts, just the last post read for every thread.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Tue May 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Whoa. Yeah, the new style sheet makes the font way too large in landscape/horizontal mode on an iPad Air 2. Headache inducing and no way to change it that I can see.

Thanks for all the work you do on the site!

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue May 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that when I read my PM it comes up as unread the next time I log in, so I think I've got a new one every time I log on but it's the same one. Add this to the bug that my threads keep being flagged as having unread posts (which have all been read) all over again each time I log on. Groundhog Day...
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

My Nexus 5 Android smartphone works differently from those iPads.
The new default font size is just about perfect for me, and it's the same in portrait and landscape modes. The text lines reflow in landscape mode to make them longer...
Attempted new signature...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue May 05, 2015 3:57 pm

(from Smartphone): The First Unread Post link just reappeared in the last hour and seems initially to work a lot better now!
But I've been on the forum only on my smartphone today.
I'll check in on my desktop PC shortly and see if it syncs across platforms like in the good old days.

Edit (from desktop PC): Sadly, initial cross-platform test shows that First Unread Post does not yet sync across two different access points the way it used to...
:(

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Having finally viewed the forum on my desktop PC for the first time following the upgrade, I'd have to say it looks very similar to before, looking at the New Posts page.
Problems pointed out by Rox, et al, are mostly due to the mobile version showing just the Topics column, and not the Replies, Views, and Last Post columns, to which we've become accustomed.

As the next prioritized fix, I'd recommend enabling the "Request Desktop Site" functionality when a mobile device request it.
This would solve ALL of my nit-picking issues and probably Rox's also.
Some people have vision issues with 5" screens and I understand that, but I've learned to cope with resizing on a smartphone rather nicely. But I miss/need those three additional columns to get the full Bogleheads experience...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 05, 2015 7:35 pm

FYI - I've received a PM or 2 that synchronization of unread posts isn't right (link goes to the wrong spot or topic was already read). I'm aware of this, as I also have this issue. We're looking into it.

Also, I did some fine-tuning behind the scenes. The response time seems faster than it was yesterday. (I'm being cautious, as I don't want to be the only one who sees the improvement.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm just hanging in there. Things are definitely faster!

My phone still doesn't know when I've read posts on my laptop, and my laptop doesn't know when I've read posts on my phone. This is definitely a pain, but I'm hoping it will settle out over the next few days. An hour or so ago, everything went unread again, including threads that I had just read, but now it's back to showing recently read threads as read. Again, I'm expecting the dust to settle down soon, and thanks to all who try to make this work (it ain't easy.)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue May 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Well, Bayview, then the server needs to keep track of where we've been.
Simple.
I've read what Alex wrote, but it doesn't jibe with reality.
Once central server memory of our history is restored, we'll be good...

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

topics squeezed together on home page

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue May 05, 2015 9:23 pm

Alex:

When I go to the homepage http://www.diehards.org (on my computer) the topics are listed single space between topics. Not good.

The topics in the box on the left are all double space and readable.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue May 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:A couple of points on server-side unread post tracking:

1) This is probably temporary. Once we get everything under control, we will experiment with re-enabling it to see what kind of performance hit it takes.

2) Give it a day or two, turning it off meant that the current state had been lost, so everything got marked unread. Although by the time client-side is sorted, it may be moot (see #1).

3) ...

I have turned server-side unread tracking back one. It has to start from scratch recording where everyone is, so it may not be exact at first. But threads you read from this point on and new threads should show unread information correctly.

ogd

Post by ogd » Wed May 06, 2015 12:03 am

Alex Frakt wrote:I have turned server-side unread tracking back one. It has to start from scratch recording where everyone is, so it may not be exact at first. But threads you read from this point on and new threads should show unread information correctly.

Thanks Alex. It works perfectly now.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed May 06, 2015 12:32 am

Alex Frakt wrote:I have turned server-side unread tracking back one. It has to start from scratch recording where everyone is, so it may not be exact at first. But threads you read from this point on and new threads should show unread information correctly.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
As a side note, it restored my old read/unread. Stuff I haven't touched since he upgrade is now unread and specific threads I purposely stopped responding to are unread. My history is restored! :sharebeer

My next biggest one is the site will not honor "Request Desktop Site" on my iPhone. These two would cover the bases for me as I am fine with using the desktop view on my 6+.

Much, much, much further down in priority, though I think you've already addressed it or writing this specific post is a fluke, the text posts for new posts were wider than the screen on my 6+. It was nauseating going back and forth as I type a response. But again, either you fixed it, or focus on more urgent bugs first.

Thanks again!
Last edited by BrandonBogle on Wed May 06, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed May 06, 2015 12:33 am

ogd wrote:

Not for me.
Gordon

Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:58 am

Rox wrote:I'm posting my thoughts here, I may have placed my comments in the wrong thread. LadyGeek, feel free to rip my post from the other thread if it belongs only here ...

I appreciate all the intentions to keep the site "up to date" etc, etc ... Having said that, here's my personal feedback. Browsing the forums on a mobile device is [i]extremely frustrating[/...
Rox

This. Unreadable huge font now on my iPad.

digarei

Re: Would it be possible for forum version to be a user selection?

Post by digarei » Wed May 06, 2015 5:17 am

Large (non-adjustable) font size in landscape mode. .. SOLUTION?

This issue was best articulated by Rox in describing the impact that font size can have on the readability of prose style (non-bulleted) posts as displayed on a smart phone:

Rox wrote: • Forum General - Landscape is locked in a very large font.  I appreciate that a certain subset of BH'ers will enjoy this change.  For me, it is extremely frustrating to have such a large font, but I also realize it's related to my prior bullet point, no pinch/zoom in landscape.  It might sound silly, but it is actually uncomfortable to read such large font when there are long sentences.  I find that I have to scroll to read a complete thought.  In addition, the organization/indentation loses its effect when the fonts are so large.  Many posters go through good efforts to make "readable" posts with these techniques.  It communicates ideas in a better way.  These efforts are lost while the font is so large and not "zoom'able".

The readability issue extends to the iPad. There are differences between versions of this device that make a large font-size in landscape mode a slight inconvenience or a reason to avoid using an iPad entirely when viewing the forum. The problem was variously elaborated by others in this thread but none more succinctly than this:

Pizzasteve510 wrote: Unreadable huge font now on my iPad.

A "silly" question leads to a possible solution:
Alex Frakt wrote:
dratkinson wrote:P.S.  Silly question.  If websites can maintain multiple versions (standard and mobile), why not also keep the last simple html version for older systems?  Early adopters select forum version 3+, and users with older systems stay with forum version 2.

The new version included multiple changes to the underlying database, the old version simply won't work.

However, it is possible to install different styles that are compatible with the new version... [s]o perhaps it's time to add a small number of alternate styles again.

[T]his may end up being the answer for the iPad issues. 

Here's a demo of one that might work - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... e/demo/3.1 . You can ignore the black header, it's there to manage the demos.  Speaking of which you can see demos of the other approved styles by selecting the options in the "Select a style" drop down box in the header.

BTW, perhaps the iPad users with issues could check out the styles as well.

I have...but first, some early returns:
Gecko10x wrote:Elegance works nicely on the iPad with Safari.

When evaluating the dozen or so different phpBB templates at the web site (link provided by Alex, above) I was quite surprised that most of the skins or "phpBB 3.1 Styles" worked well in both portrait and landscape modes on my ancient (5 yr old) 1st generation iPad.

My preference-ordered list of selected "styles" from those available:

PBTech
Simplicity
Elegance
SE Square
Prosilver Special Edition
BB3 Mobi

Each of the above stylesheets rendered thread text, now super-sized since the version upgrade, into attractive form, appropriately sized (and sizable) on my iPad 1.

I hope that when testing the style templates on other devices and monitors, they'll be found acceptable. Note: limited time didn't permit me to evaluate other aspects of the style sheets, including functionality and the presence or absence of features, information fields or links that are part of the user experience.

Thanks for reading.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

douginct

Post by douginct » Wed May 06, 2015 9:55 am

Very unhappy with new format. I read mostly Landscape on iPad and it is horrible. Also, when I hit the back arrow it takes me to top of page every time instead of where I was. Further, when I click mark topics read, I don't need a pop up telling me it was done.. I can see it was done.

Please allow me to go back to the old version. I am unlikely to keep visiting with all these issues.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Would it be possible for forum version to be a user selection?

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 am

digarei wrote:Large (non-adjustable) font size in landscape mode. .. SOLUTION? ...

When evaluating the dozen or so different phpBB templates at the web site (link provided by Alex, above) I was quite surprised that most of the skins or "phpBB 3.1 Styles" worked well in both portrait and landscape modes on my ancient (5 yr old) 1st generation iPad.

My preference-ordered list of selected "styles" from those available:

PBTech
Simplicity
Elegance
SE Square
Prosilver Special Edition
BB3 Mobi

Each of the above stylesheets rendered thread text, now super-sized since the version upgrade, into attractive form, appropriately sized (and sizable) on my iPad 1.

Thank you. This is very helpful. After reading the responses here and doing my own evaluation of the new UI, I believe we would be well served by either adding alternatives or switching to another style entirely. I've created a new thread just for this issue at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165237. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

bayview

Post by bayview » Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 am

gkaplan wrote:
ogd wrote:

Not for me.

The posts that I read yesterday still showed as unread today when I first logged in, BUT threads I read (or re-read) today on the laptop now show as read on my iphone, and vice versa, and that is huge. Thanks!
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Tristrex

Post by Tristrex » Wed May 06, 2015 2:13 pm

This is a relatively minor report, but also easy to fix (I hope). The new phpBB appears to include default apple-touch-icon images that aren't correct (see https://www.bogleheads.org/apple-touch-icon-152x152.png, https://www.bogleheads.org/apple-touch-icon.png, and possibly other sizes). It would be nice if those were changed to match the main favicon. Bogleheads is currently showing up on my iPhone and iPad with a big fat Apple icon rather than the friendly rose.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:I have turned server-side unread tracking back on

Much much better! Frankly, I don't care that much if it's a bit slower, as I pop threads open several at a time in new tabs before reading, so extra time to load doesn't faze me. Having the threads synced up between computers is a much bigger deal.

To me, it seems pretty much back to normal.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed May 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Loading Bogleheads.org pages has been super slow for last hour or two; basically unusable. Speedtest shows my internet speed as fine (fast).

Font on Bogleheads.org is large. Using a Chromebook.

I almost never use Bogleheads.org/forum, but I tried it on my Nexus pad after the recent changes. There is no "new posts" quicklink on my Nexus (just Unanswered posts, Active topics, and The team), although there is one on my Chromebook. Without a "new posts" quick link, the forum view isn't very useful to me.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: topics squeezed together on home page

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Alex:

When I go to the homepage http://www.diehards.org (on my computer) the topics are listed single space between topics. Not good.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Alex:

Bogleheads.org is again double-spaced between topics. Well done!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

nervousnovice

Post by nervousnovice » Wed May 06, 2015 11:18 pm

i really relied heavily on the "Active Topics" link, which is now missing from the Home/Board Index page. is there any chance that can be added again?

edit to add: although i do see the link on the Quick Links menu, which helps.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 pm

nervousnovice wrote:i really relied heavily on the "Active Topics" link, which is now missing from the Home/Board Index page. is there any chance that can be added again?

edit to add: although i do see the link on the Quick Links menu, which helps.

Create your own bookmark for it, View active topics.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 am

Kevin M wrote:I almost never use Bogleheads.org/forum, but I tried it on my Nexus pad after the recent changes. There is no "new posts" quicklink on my Nexus (just Unanswered posts, Active topics, and The team), although there is one on my Chromebook. Without a "new posts" quick link, the forum view isn't very useful to me.

New Posts only shows up under Quick Links when you log in to the forum. So if you weren't logged in on your Nexus, it wouldn't show up.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Thu May 07, 2015 11:24 am

I'm curious why you're loading so many files and not concatenating them. Each page is loading 13 CSS files. That's 13 HTTP requests. Worse, you're loading a CSS file with @import directives in it to load other CSS files. This is bad bad bad. Depending on the browser, those can be blocking requests. The page will pause while it loads up the first CSS file, then pause to load each @import directive inside it. Browsers can only handle 4 or so http requests at a time so it can't do all of this in parallel.

If you can find away to concatenate your CSS and JS into one file and use image sprites for all your icons, you can save probably 40 http requests per page. That would be huge.

Also, if you want to stop iPads from screwing up font size on landscape, use this in your CSS:

Code: Select all

html {
    -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; /* Prevent font scaling in landscape while allowing user zoom */
}

Should solve all those issues.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu May 07, 2015 11:57 am

vitaflo wrote:I'm curious why you're loading so many files and not concatenating them. Each page is loading 13 CSS files. That's 13 HTTP requests. Worse, you're loading a CSS file with @import directives in it to load other CSS files. This is bad bad bad. Depending on the browser, those can be blocking requests. The page will pause while it loads up the first CSS file, then pause to load each @import directive inside it. Browsers can only handle 4 or so http requests at a time so it can't do all of this in parallel.

If you can find away to concatenate your CSS and JS into one file and use image sprites for all your icons, you can save probably 40 http requests per page. That would be huge.

All this is related to the prosilver style. My understanding from browsing the phpBB styles forum last night is the 13 CSS files is how the prosilver style is "shipped" from phpBB. Altering the way prosilver works by concatenating files would not be in line with the desire to stay close to stock, and the admins have repeated said they want to remain close to stock.

Some browsers do allow you to alter the number of concurrent connections that they will make. In Firefox, you can alter the pipelining and max-connections about:config entries to allow more concurrent connections. More recent versions of Firefox have a more generous max-connections default value than older versions. You can also alter the registry file to tweak IE into giving up more connections, although I can understand that many people would not want to resort to that option unless they are familiar with regedit. Chrome users are out of luck though. Chrome is hard-coded to 6 connections at a time and that's that.

Now, depending on how the server is configured, having more concurrent connections enabled on the browser may or may not speed things up. If the server itself limits the number of connections per client IP, then it doesn't matter how many concurrent connections you request. And if there's just too high of a load on the server due to all of the requests, requesting more at a time isn't going to make the overall throughput much better.

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I really miss the "View Your Posts" tab in the upper left. Now you have to go through 2 steps via "Quick Links". But I do recognize that you guys are volunteers so I won't forget to say thank you for trying to improve what might be the most valuable financial tool in the world. For FREE.

I've always said this is the best site on the internet financial and potentially otherwise. So, nothing but thanks for the hard work of keeping it up, maintained, and providing great information.

That said - I'll second that it would be great to reactive the "View Your Posts" feature. It's a great feature and I miss it on other boards that (seem) to use the same software.

But, thank you for taking the chance on SW upgrades and moving us forward!
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 pm

leonard wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:I really miss the "View Your Posts" tab in the upper left. Now you have to go through 2 steps via "Quick Links". But I do recognize that you guys are volunteers so I won't forget to say thank you for trying to improve what might be the most valuable financial tool in the world. For FREE.

I've always said this is the best site on the internet financial and potentially otherwise. So, nothing but thanks for the hard work of keeping it up, maintained, and providing great information.

That said - I'll second that it would be great to reactive the "View Your Posts" feature. It's a great feature and I miss it on other boards that (seem) to use the same software.

"Your posts" is the first item in the Quick links dropdown menu in the upper left.
You do have to be logged on to use it...

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu May 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Perfect! Thank you! It's clear I need to just do some more exploring with the software to learn the features.

The Wizard wrote:
leonard wrote:

"Your posts" is the first item in the Quick links dropdown menu in the upper left.
You do have to be logged on to use it...
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:All this is related to the prosilver style. My understanding from browsing the phpBB styles forum last night is the 13 CSS files is how the prosilver style is "shipped" from phpBB. Altering the way prosilver works by concatenating files would not be in line with the desire to stay close to stock, and the admins have repeated said they want to remain close to stock.

phpbb is part of the free software movement. They accept input such as bug reports, design improvements and coding contributions from the public. People who want to improve things could consider getting involved. If you get a fix into the base release bogleheads will pick it up the next time it is upgraded.

I don't work on phpbb, but I've been on similar things. Testing and bug reports from people with a variety of devices were welcome and were acted on, although sometimes slower than people would like. This was particularly true if the reporter was willing to do some work, either to narrow down the problem before reporting it or to run a series of tests at the developers request.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu May 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Kevin M wrote:I almost never use Bogleheads.org/forum, but I tried it on my Nexus pad after the recent changes. There is no "new posts" quicklink on my Nexus (just Unanswered posts, Active topics, and The team), although there is one on my Chromebook. Without a "new posts" quick link, the forum view isn't very useful to me.

New Posts only shows up under Quick Links when you log in to the forum. So if you weren't logged in on your Nexus, it wouldn't show up.

Of course--that makes sense. Actually, "Active topics" shows what I want to see, so it's fine.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Thu May 07, 2015 2:00 pm

vitaflo wrote:I'm curious why you're loading so many files and not concatenating them. Each page is loading 13 CSS files. That's 13 HTTP requests. Worse, you're loading a CSS file with @import directives in it to load other CSS files. This is bad bad bad. Depending on the browser, those can be blocking requests. The page will pause while it loads up the first CSS file, then pause to load each @import directive inside it. Browsers can only handle 4 or so http requests at a time so it can't do all of this in parallel.

We are using the stock style that comes with phpbb 3.1, the 13 CSS files are not our idea. We are evaluating alternate styles that use a single stylesheet. See http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=165237 for that discussion.
vitaflo wrote:Also, if you want to stop iPads from screwing up font size on landscape, use this in your CSS:

Code: Select all

html {
    -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; /* Prevent font scaling in landscape while allowing user zoom */
}

Should solve all those issues.

Thanks. I may have some more questions. Do you mind if I PM or e-mail you?

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:11 pm

did anyone mention that we can no longer subscribe or unsubscribe a topic at the bottom of the thread?
unsubscribing can work when clicking on the email alert yet if there is a topic I want to follow, I need to submit a comment in order to get an alert
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu May 07, 2015 2:29 pm

1530jesup wrote:did anyone mention that we can no longer subscribe or unsubscribe a topic at the bottom of the thread?
unsubscribing can work when clicking on the email alert yet if there is a topic I want to follow, I need to submit a comment in order to get an alert

Clicking on the tool/wrench icon at the bottom left gives you a pop-up/down menu you can use to subscribe topic.

Kevin

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Thu May 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:Thanks. I may have some more questions. Do you mind if I PM or e-mail you?

Anytime.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Thu May 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:We are using the stock style that comes with phpbb 3.1, the 13 CSS files are not our idea. We are evaluating alternate styles that use a single stylesheet. See http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=165237 for that discussion.

If you change the board style you'll have way more complaints. People don't like drastic style and theme changes to something they've gotten used to over many years. Small tweaks around the edges gradually over time is the better bet if you don't want to alienate your user base.

FWIW, this is my job, I've been doing UX and frontend web work professionally for 20 years.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

Love the new forum upgrade.

Can we look into implementing:

Mark forums read option from the quick links menu? Would help to mark the forum read on the last page of new posts instead of needing to go back to the index page.

Quick reply option below each message?