Supporting the Operating Costs of the Forum

Discussions about the forum and contents
Mel Lindauer

Supporting the Operating Costs of the Forum

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello Everyone:

This post is from a long-timer regular who wanted to remain anonymous. I'm posting it on his behalf at his request.
The recent thread on the cost of operating this forum reminded me that I had planned to donate some money but hadn’t gotten around to it.

If someone came to you from your community and said,

“we have an organization that is here to help the people of this community improve their lives by helping them learn how to help themselves and stand on their own but we are underfunded and need to support our resources to continue the mission.”

What would you do? You’d probably listen and if you could, you’d offer some financial assistance to help them continue.

That is what this forum is. While those of us who are regulars probably get some benefit, we also invest a fair amount of time responding to inquiries. So for us, the forum is probably a wash in terms of personal cost and benefit.

But think about the hundreds (thousands?) of people who sign in who are not regulars and may not invest as much of their personal time on the forum. They are the real beneficiaries. They stand to lose if the forum were to disappear. They are the young person just starting out who has no clue about saving and investing, the widow or widower who for the first time is faced with unraveling the financial hairball that the recently deceased spouse created, the confused tax filer who has nowhere to turn and can’t afford to pay for tax advice or even simply the investor who “got it right” developing a plan but just needs some confirmation before pulling the trigger. I could go on. You’ve seen them all here.

I just donated some money to support Bogleheads.Org. I invite everyone else to join in and give what you can.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Houston101

Re: Supporting the Operating Costs of the Forum

Post by Houston101 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm

I am curious how much are the operating costs for this forum :?:

jriding

Post by jriding » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reminder.
Donation sent. Best investment I'll make all year!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:25 pm

jriding wrote:Donation sent. Best investment I'll make all year!
Same here.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Done, at least for today.

For Mel, thanks for the reminder--I need a good reminder, something like "The PBS Pledge Week."

Have done it via Amazon purchases and I just sent another donation using the donate button, I know what it takes to maintain a website (could be a pain).
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 am

I suggest that if a member of the forum contributes a minimum amount, that they be recognized in some way by indicating that they are a contributing member next to their username. As an example, can they be identified as premium members? Can there be a gold star or some symbol next to their username? Is it possible to allow only premium members to use certain features? For example, maybe the "view your posts" feature would only be available to premium members?

I think doing something along those lines would significantly increase the amount of contributions because those who contribute would be recognized on the forum and it would become a matter of pride, and I would prefer that to the option of allowing advertising.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:31 am

Establish a DAF, fund it with some shares of an investment for which you want to avoid paying cap gains tax, and use it to donate to the John C Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. See: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/The_Bogl ... l_Literacy

The Center could do a bit more to increase visibility, for example submit info to Guidestar so this page is fleshed out and current: http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/ ... eracy.aspx

I contributed via a Fidelity DAF this Spring. Easy peasy.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:43 am

I think a little button is a good idea. Some sites have a tiny tag that shows you are a support of XYZ.
No one is pressured or forced to support any site; but it does give an incentive for some to support that might not ordinarily.

PS Just made a donation. But the above is not because of that fact.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Somehow I never saw the other thread or its title never caught my attention or I didn't sign in while it was being discussed.
Where is this thread?
Where is the address for donations?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:15 pm

celia wrote:Somehow I never saw the other thread or its title never caught my attention or I didn't sign in while it was being discussed.
Where is this thread?
Where is the address for donations?
Good day Celia, here are a couple of links.

Operating Cost of this forum: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=143198

Support this site information: http://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:10 pm

In true Boglehead form, I am freeloading here ;)
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Index Fan wrote:In true Boglehead form, I am freeloading here ;)
Well, Shipmate Index Fan, you can help by using this link when buying your Christmas Goodies in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=a ... Bogleheads

And you have a Merry Christmas.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:15 pm

+1 on donation. Thanks for keeping the forum going.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:42 pm

I am trying to do my part through purchases on Amazon through this site. But never see any indication on the Amazon site of any link or donation even though access them through this site.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm

It's built into the referral code, which is the "tag=bogleheads.org-20" part of the link as shown below.

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
The URL might change as you browse through the site, but Amazon.com has captured the tag and is keeping track.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Lady Geek,
Am I correct in my assumption that we can click on Amazon.com at the top right corner of these pages and credit will be applied?
Tom D.

shellfish

Post by shellfish » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:25 am

Just donated via PayPal.

To Larry Auton and Alex Frakt,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
(and Merry Christmas!)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:02 am

tomd37 wrote:Lady Geek,
Am I correct in my assumption that we can click on Amazon.com at the top right corner of these pages and credit will be applied?
Yes, along with the link on the homepage (left-side menu) and the related page: Support this site.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 pm

In early 2014, I was deliberating the date of my retirement. As I kept delaying it, some Bogleheads started teasing me that I would be postponing it forever. In response, I set the final date. Then another final date, then another. And then I issued a statement as follows:
On 16 March 2014, VictoriaF wrote:This is my final word.

26 July is clearly better than 12 July, because I'll get an extra paycheck. It pains me to miss your anniversary, but prudence wins. There are two possible circumstances that may delay my retirement by another month or so. I will try to avoid them but may not be able to. If that happens, here is my public pledge:

For every day that my retirement date is later than 26 July 2014, I will contribute $10 per day to the Bogleheads Forum, within the limits from the minimum of $100 to the maximum of $500.
I ended up retiring at end of September, and thus my contribution should be the maximum, i.e., $500. A few minutes ago, I paid $50 via PayPal to Alex's account. In a few days, after I see how the charge shows in my credit card, I will pay the balance.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

lululu

Post by lululu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Why is this running from someone's basement? I had a political website on line a few years ago, and it cost me something like $4.95 a month to rent space on a server.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:48 pm

I am granting $50/year to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy from my Donor Advised Fund.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Paypal information.

In reference to our shipmate Victoria's post, tell you what, I had the same question because I had never donated anything via Paypal, anyway, this what I show on Paypal (information from my VISA statement), submitted donation on 9/24/14, transaction date 9/26/13, posted date 9/29/14, description [Paypal *Paypal (followed by a phone number) CA], and the amount. Have a Merry Christmas.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 pm

cfs wrote:Paypal information.

In reference to our shipmate Victoria's post, tell you what, I had the same question because I had never donated anything via Paypal, anyway, this what I show on Paypal (information from my VISA statement), submitted donation on 9/24/14, transaction date 9/26/13, posted date 9/29/14, description [Paypal *Paypal (followed by a phone number) CA], and the amount. Have a Merry Christmas.
Thank you, shipmate cfs, and congratulations with your 2k posts!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:03 pm

VictoriaF wrote:In early 2014, I was deliberating the date of my retirement. As I kept delaying it, some Bogleheads started teasing me that I would be postponing it forever. In response, I set the final date. Then another final date, then another. And then I issued a statement as follows:

26 July is clearly better than 12 July, because I'll get an extra paycheck. It pains me to miss your anniversary, but prudence wins. There are two possible circumstances that may delay my retirement by another month or so. I will try to avoid them but may not be able to. If that happens, here is my public pledge:

For every day that my retirement date is later than 26 July 2014, I will contribute $10 per day to the Bogleheads Forum, within the limits from the minimum of $100 to the maximum of $500.
I ended up retiring at end of September, and thus my contribution should be the maximum, i.e., $500. A few minutes ago, I paid $50 via PayPal to Alex's account. In a few days, after I see how the charge shows in my credit card, I will pay the balance.

Victoria
Glad you finally escaped the rat-race, Victoria. And proud of you for living up to your pledge. It definitely goes to support a great non-commercial resource (this forum).

Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy, prosperous (and adventurous) 2015!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Since I have learned so much about dividends from the Bogleheads, I am donating them (my dividends, not the Bogleheads) to this site. The check is in the mail. :happy

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:01 pm

I"ve been using that Amazon button a lot this year!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:In early 2014, I was deliberating the date of my retirement. As I kept delaying it, some Bogleheads started teasing me that I would be postponing it forever. In response, I set the final date. Then another final date, then another. And then I issued a statement as follows:

Victoria
Glad you finally escaped the rat-race, Victoria. And proud of you for living up to your pledge. It definitely goes to support a great non-commercial resource (this forum).

Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy, prosperous (and adventurous) 2015!
Thank you, Mel! A huge credit for my ability to retire goes to this community and people who have founded it: you, Taylor, Alex, and Larry.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!

Victoria

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:13 pm

lululu wrote:Why is this running from someone's basement? I had a political website on line a few years ago, and it cost me something like $4.95 a month to rent space on a server.
And that rented space on a server would not get nearly the same bandwidth, disk space, and computing resources needed to support 1 million hits a day (what Larry's webpage says Bogleheads.org gets) at $4.95 a month. For $4.95 a month, you were probably rate limited to something like 25k hits a month (if not less) and Bogleheads.org would be cut off within hours of operating. Even if we discount the rate limiting by going with some "unlimited" plan, Bogleheads.org would definitely have been shut off for "hogging" the resources, i.e. using more CPU and RAM than allocated, and messing up the other websites on the shared server. And that doesn't even touch the disk space limitations that the service would impose on the database that stores all these forum posts.

For a website like Bogleheads.org, you're looking at needing at least one dedicated server (preferably more) and sufficient bandwidth allocations to support the traffic flow. Now you're talking about the $200-300/month territory for dedicated server service (and even that might not be enough to get a beefy enough server). It's not cheap to outsource hosting when you get into the page views and server resource requirements that a website of this size requires.

If you can provide the appropriate power (e.g. 30-50A 208V), a good Internet up-link (OC-1 is great, but it looks like Bogleheads is on Verizon FIOS which has similar capacities in the higher rate plans), and decent hardware in your basement for an equivalent or lesser monthly cost (of course there would be a higher initial costs, which is what people are trying to avoid by using services), why not? You'd have more control over the infrastructure and if you already do this sort of setup for your employer, it's easy enough to do for your hobby as well.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Does Vanguard provide any financial support for the servers?

I'm guessing no given the topic of this thread. But why don't they? If it wasn't for the forum, many of us wouldn't have found Vanguard - including myself.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 pm

I think it is important to distinguish what Vanguard founder, our beloved Mr Bogle believes in vs a company he has started and owned by company's fund holders. Mixing them both is a bad idea. This is a corporation and not a MLP/private entity to do what people believe in.

That said there is a non profit that shadows and helps this site. Look at Mel's comments in
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=94337.

A good thread, if anyone is planning a donation but looking for possible tax deduction.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:56 pm

lululu wrote:Why is this running from someone's basement? I had a political website on line a few years ago, and it cost me something like $4.95 a month to rent space on a server.
The maintainers of the forum likely want to have greater control over the hosting than you had with your $4.95 shared server space, so they would want at least a dedicated VM at a hosting provider. I'm guessing a VM with full console access was a fairly expensive commodity when the forum was first set up - and even today will cost a lot more than $4.95/mo.

wjo

Post by wjo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:10 pm

a good year end reminder and I'm kicking myself for an amazon purchase without using the link here....DOH :oops:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:21 pm

ray.james wrote: That said there is a non profit that shadows and helps this site. Look at Mel's comments in
A good thread, if anyone is planning a donation but looking for possible tax deduction.
Mel - is this still accurate, we can select either way to donate?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
ray.james wrote: That said there is a non profit that shadows and helps this site. Look at Mel's comments in
Mel - is this still accurate, we can select either way to donate?
Yes. If you want/need the tax deduction, then you'd contribute to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, an IRS-approved 501c3 corporation. You can specify that you'd like that the donation be used to help support the bogleheads.org forum and we'll comply with your wishes.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:00 am

Victoria
The initial charge of $50 was registered in my credit cars as I expected, and I have just paid the balance of $450.

Happy New Year,

Victoria

RIDL

Post by RIDL » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:18 am

I am usually able to remember to use the referral link for Amazon, and am now going to try to get my fiancée to start using it when she gets something from there. We will see how that goes. Either way I am very thankful for all of the help that I have received from this forum.

dianna

Post by dianna » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Bumping this thread for 2015 support....

For those of you making charitable contributions before the end of the year, please consider supporting this amazing and helpful Bogleheads Forum!

https://www.bogleheads.org/support.php

Wishing everyone a fabulous end of the year. May your dividends be forever bright.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Just sent in my contribution.
De gustibus non est disputandum

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Done

Thank you shipmate Dianna for the reminder. Done.
12/09/2015 (transaction date) PAYPAL *PAYPAL (description) XXXX (Card) $$$$ (Amount)

Wishing all our shipmates a Feliz Navidad.

RPC1976

Post by RPC1976 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Just send.
Happy holidays.

delisim

Post by delisim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:06 pm

According to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy's 990 filing, the Center granted bogleheads.org $1,000 in 2014 to operate the forum.

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Done.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Gladly contributed!!! Bogleheads has made an enormous difference in our lives. Money well spent!