Setting signature not working ?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Setting signature not working ?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:31 am

Sorry if I've overlooked other posts on this.

I keep trying to "set" my "signature" for Bogleheads.org.

It never seems to "take" when I submit it, and sure enough, my next posts never show anything.

What's the secret (or not so secret) tip for doing this?

(Searching gets me lots of info about medallion signatures, setting those, and other issues that aren't what I'm trying to find.)

Thanks.

RM

InvestorNewb

Re: Setting signature not working ?

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 am

There is a 202 character limit. Perhaps you are going beyond this?
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 am

InvestorNewb wrote:There is a 202 character limit. Perhaps you are going beyond this?
Thanks. I saw that. Not even close.

(I'd assume there would be an error message if someone exceeded the limit, but don't know, as that's not the problem.)

RM

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:47 am

Open another window. Start a reply in this one. Set the signature in the other. Record your steps in this one. After setting the signature in the other, make sure that attach a signature is checked below in this window. [Actually, do that first. :) ]

If all is good, post in this window.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 am

My point: Saving a signature is not the same as posting a signature. The two are separate settings. You can set your default posting to include your signature, just as you can set your default to disable smilies.

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am

sscritic wrote:My point: Saving a signature is not the same as posting a signature. The two are separate settings. You can set your default posting to include your signature, just as you can set your default to disable smilies.
One doesn't just go into the control panel, edit signature section, type in signature of choice, and click submit?

That's what I keep doing, and when I next look, that same typed "signature" is still sitting there, waiting to be submitted. And each time, I get a screen that states my profile has been updated.

I'm not seeing any place where I should "set my default" to include my signature. That must be the problem.
How do I find that?

(But it "appears" - to me, anyway - that the "submit" isn't doing anything.)

Thanks.

RM

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 am

I would try logging-out, clearing your cache, and then log back in again and try again.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 am

You may need to log out, then log back in for the change to take effect.

[Edit] Great minds think alike! :P
Last edited by Raymond on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 am

ResearchMed wrote:
sscritic wrote:My point: Saving a signature is not the same as posting a signature. The two are separate settings. You can set your default posting to include your signature, just as you can set your default to disable smilies.
One doesn't just go into the control panel, edit signature section, type in signature of choice, and click submit?
No, that is not enough. That's what I told you. I write what I write for a reason. I am trying to help you. You have to do your part. I could be wrong, but we won't know until you follow my suggestions.

Did you look at the bottom of the compose window when you wrote this post? Did you see buttons? I tend to mean what I say, except when I am lying. Did you do what I suggested?
make sure that attach a signature is checked below in this window.
P.S. Posting defaults are under posting defaults.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:09 am

P.P.S. That's it for now. Today is another granddaughter's birthday day at Disneyland.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 am

edit: please remove
Last edited by InvestorNewb on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 am

sscritic wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
No, that is not enough. That's what I told you. I write what I write for a reason. I am trying to help you. You have to do your part. I could be wrong, but we won't know until you follow my suggestions.

Did you look at the bottom of the compose window when you wrote this post? Did you see buttons? I tend to mean what I say, except when I am lying. Did you do what I suggested?
make sure that attach a signature is checked below in this window.
P.S. Posting defaults are under posting defaults.
You have gotten so cranky since you returned from hiatus.

And disrespectful.

And by the way, NONE of what you keep suggesting shows. There are NO "buttons" at the bottom of the edit signature window, other than Reset, Preview, and Submit.
None.
There is not anything that indicates any choice about whether to attach said signature.

RM

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 am

InvestorNewb wrote:I would try logging-out, clearing your cache, and then log back in again and try again.
Thanks!
Did NOT try this, until just now.

And alas, it didn't work.
And I've even done a forced shutdown, and cleared everything, but not for this purpose.

Question: Do you see your "signature" in your compose screen? I know it's separate and not entered each time, but do you see it when composing, or when Previewing?

Did you "see" the composed "signature" still sitting there in the compose window after clicking "submit"?

Thanks.

RM

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 am

ResearchMed wrote:Question: Do you see your "signature" in your compose screen? I know it's separate and not entered each time, but do you see it when composing, or when Previewing?

Did you "see" the composed "signature" still sitting there in the compose window after clicking "submit"?
I only see the signature in the textbox and after I click the Preview button.

After I click the Submit button and then "Return to the User Control Panel" my changes are saved in the textbox.

Can I ask what browser you are using? You may want to try a different browser perhaps. I use Mozilla Firefox.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

testing to see if I got this installed correctly and can offer some advice.
is the radio button checked to attach signature?
Also, when I create a post, below the window where we type in text, I see a tab named Options, with a checkbox for Attach a signature. It is checked on my screen, I suspect because the default above is checked.
Last edited by LeeMKE on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:11 pm

I just added a three word signature via the user control panel.
I used my android smartphone to do this...

...and bingo, it works.
I did not log off and back on, clear cache, or any other funny business...
Attempted new signature...

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm

LeeMKE wrote:testing to see if I got this installed correctly and can offer some advice.
Also, when I create a post, below the window where we type in text, I see a tab named Options, with a checkbox for Attach a signature. It is checked on my screen, I suspect because the default above is checked.
THERE IT IS :oops:

Thanks very much!

Let's see if this works now.

-->> Inserted after "preview" - Yup, there it is, showing up where it belongs in the preview screen.

Thanks all!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:39 am

ResearchMed wrote:
LeeMKE wrote:testing to see if I got this installed correctly and can offer some advice.
THERE IT IS :oops:

Thanks very much!

Let's see if this works now.

-->> Inserted after "preview" - Yup, there it is, showing up where it belongs in the preview screen.

Thanks all!

RM
Actually, I forgot to add that although below the compose window (for the signature) there IS the word "OPTIONS", there is NOT any check box, and the word itself isn't clickable. I had no idea why it is there (and still don't, since it wasn't necessary).

The "trick" was to go into a different menu in the Control Panel, as you showed the path, and NOT stay in the "compose" section.

:happy

Seems a bit odd, given that I still don't see any way to "do anything" with that one word "OPTIONS".
But your other directions were spot on.

Thanks again!

RM

stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am

i still don't get it. can we go through the process again?

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 am

stingray5688 wrote:i still don't get it. can we go through the process again?
There are two places in your User Control Panel (UCP) that are involved.
UCP -> Profile -> Edit signature or http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php ... =signature to edit and save a signature.
UCP -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults or http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php ... &mode=post to specify whether your signature gets automatically attached to your posts.

When posting, below the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" buttons is an "Options" tab that includes a checkbox for "Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)" that can be used to change whether your signature is included or not.

One further note, per Forum Policy
Signatures, Location, Website, etc. - To keep the forums readable and the signal to noise ratio high, all profile information, including Signatures and Locations must be free of commercial messages, non-controversial, short, and normal text only (no external links, no images, no line breaks, and no distracting formatting).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote: When posting, below the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" buttons is an "Options" tab that includes a checkbox for "Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)" that can be used to change whether your signature is included or not.
Which is why setting the default is unnecessary, unless you are lazy or forgetful or both. Me, I am both. Since it seems that RM's default was set to off, she could have just used the checkbox when posting to check to see if her signature had taken.

P.S. I now realize I was using the term radio buttons incorrectly. I apologize. Radio buttons are for when you are allowed only one choice; checkboxes for when you can chose one, all, or none.

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
stingray5688 wrote:i still don't get it. can we go through the process again?
There are two places in your User Control Panel (UCP) that are involved.
UCP -> Profile -> Edit signature or http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php ... =signature to edit and save a signature.
UCP -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults or http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php ... &mode=post to specify whether your signature gets automatically attached to your posts.

When posting, below the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" buttons is an "Options" tab that includes a checkbox for "Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)" that can be used to change whether your signature is included or not.

One further note, per Forum Policy
Signatures, Location, Website, etc. - To keep the forums readable and the signal to noise ratio high, all profile information, including Signatures and Locations must be free of commercial messages, non-controversial, short, and normal text only (no external links, no images, no line breaks, and no distracting formatting).
Yes, almost.

I have no idea if it is my computer settings, operating system, or whatever, but within the screen that shows the "compose" area, there is absolutely NOT any button or anything else that refers to "attaching" said signature.
Just the Save, Preview, and Submit.
There is a single word of "OPTIONS", but there are no buttons, and the word itself is not clickable. That word just "sits there".

It was LeeMKE who directed me to the OTHER section of the control panel, of "Board Preferences" (under User Control Panel), and NOT the other tab of "Profile", which is where the "Edit Signature" tab is located.
That is the only place I could find to make the signature "show".

RM

Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am

sscritic wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote: When posting, below the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" buttons is an "Options" tab that includes a checkbox for "Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)" that can be used to change whether your signature is included or not.
Which is why setting the default is unnecessary, unless you are lazy or forgetful or both. Me, I am both. Since it seems that RM's default was set to off, she could have just used the checkbox when posting to check to see if her signature had taken.

P.S. I now realize I was using the term radio buttons incorrectly. I apologize. Radio buttons are for when you are allowed only one choice; checkboxes for when you can chose one, all, or none.
sscritic, what part of THERE IS NO SUCH CHECKBOX SHOWING on my "compose" screen is not clear?
Can't use a checkbox that doesn't exist.

Reading lessons?

RM

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am

ResearchMed wrote:
I have no idea if it is my computer settings, operating system, or whatever, but within the screen that shows the "compose" area, there is absolutely NOT any button or anything else that refers to "attaching" said signature.
Writing a signature is not posting a post. One is one place, one another. Look at what you see when you compose a post for posting.

You are absolutely correct. If you look at the edit a signature page, you won't see what is on the compose a post page.

To your last post: yes if you look at the wrong page, you won't see what is on the right page. Try it: start a reply. Look at what is on that page, not another page, while you are writing your reply.

stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 am

"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft