Bogleheads Forum's First Birthday - Feb. 19th

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Bogleheads Forum's First Birthday - Feb. 19th

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Anyone planning a birthday party to celebrate our forum's first birthday on Feb. 19th? If so, let us know so we can attend! :D

Seriously, as our first birthday nears, we're approaching 6000 registered members, with "guests" or lurkers probably numbering another 4-5x that. Our members have made more than 150,000 posts. That's quite an accomplishment, given that we do no advertising, other than word-of-mouth.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to help make this the best investing discussion forum on the Internet. And an early happy birthday to us all!

Best regards,

Mel
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzRunner

Post by AzRunner »

Yes, the decision to create a new Vanguard Diehards Investment Forum independent of M* was a great decision. Thanks to all those who made it happen and for the continuing moderation activity that helps to keep this board civil.

Norm
PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior »

Yay! Happy birthday!

Maybe it's inappropriate to talk about this on the birthday, but is the "estate planning" of this web site all right? If something happens to an admin, would another person be able to take over? How about the web address registration? Could somebody take over the registration? I hate to lose this web site. It's a great asset. It's part of my portfolio. :-)
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

PiperWarrior wrote:Yay! Happy birthday!

Maybe it's inappropriate to talk about this on the birthday, but is the "estate planning" of this web site all right? If something happens to an admin, would another person be able to take over? How about the web address registration? Could somebody take over the registration? I hate to lose this web site. It's a great asset. It's part of my portfolio. :-)
c'mon, the first year is the most dangerous for humans, small businesses, and websites... diehards.org made it... and much like the korean tradition, tol, a celebration marking the end of the most 'dangerous' period (1st yr) is on order. i'd worry about 'estate planning' around the teen years... you know how wild and dangerous teens can be.
In the past, due to a lack of medical information, Korea's seasonal temperature differences, and many childhood related diseases, the death rate for children was extremely high. Many children died before their first birthday. After the age of one year, the survival rate steeply increased, making this milestone a very happy one for the child's parents. It has also been a custom to celebrate a child's 100 day birthday (baek-il) , but in most areas this birthday is less important than the Tol and any celebrations are smaller in scale.
NoMoreInvestingExcitement

Post by NoMoreInvestingExcitement »

PiperWarrior wrote:It's a great asset. It's part of my portfolio. :-)
Talk about "viewing your portfolio as a whole :!:

I think the forum's terrific. I'm happy to have lurked and learned at M* and then this forum, too. Definitely helped turn my investing life (results and state of mind) around. And it's great to now be an active participant.

Here's to the next 150,000 posts! (Anyone want to lay an over/under on how long it takes to reach 300,000? It sure won't take another year!).

Many thanks,
NMIE
Unlimited online financial info's great, but I'd rather my compass just kept working.
market timer

Post by market timer »

NoMoreInvestingExcitement wrote:Anyone want to lay an over/under on how long it takes to reach 300,000?
I'll bet $15,000 we reach 300,000 posts in the next month.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

market timer wrote:
NoMoreInvestingExcitement wrote:Anyone want to lay an over/under on how long it takes to reach 300,000?
OK, who gets the $15K?

market timer wrote:
Ummm, Mmmm ... I must respectfully decline given that acceptance of your offer would constitute an expensive "speculation" and not an "investment" within my acceptable risk parameters.

Or, "no way I'm taking that action :!:"

NMIE
Unlimited online financial info's great, but I'd rather my compass just kept working.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

stan1 wrote:
market timer wrote:
OK, who gets the $15K?
My guess is that it would be NMIE, since once the bet was made, he/she would be posting away, 24/7 until hitting the 300,000 mark! :D

Regards,

Mel
market timer

Post by market timer »

Mel Lindauer wrote:once the bet was made, he/she would be posting away, 24/7 until hitting the 300,000 mark! :D
Exactly. I might have to send you a side payment not to ban me.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

market timer wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:once the bet was made, he/she would be posting away, 24/7 until hitting the 300,000 mark! :D
Exactly. I might have to send you a side payment not to ban me.
Or, if I made the bet with you, I could ban you immediately and then collect the whole thing! :D

Regards,

Mel

Mel Lindauer wrote:
stan1 wrote:
market timer wrote:
OK, who gets the $15K?
My guess is that it would be NMIE, since once the bet was made, he/she would be posting away, 24/7 until hitting the 300,000 mark! :D

Regards,

Mel
Mel, Mel ... jumping to the conclusion that I have such a dim view of fair play that I'd stoop to posting on my own 24/7 just to win a bet? And the two of us never even having met!

What does that say about your view of human nature?! (I'd have my family register and post for me ... how's that? Clean hands here!!!).

All the best,
NMIE
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

NoMoreInvestingExcitement wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
stan1 wrote:
market timer wrote:
OK, who gets the $15K?

Regards,

Mel
Mel, Mel ... jumping to the conclusion that I have such a dim view of fair play that I'd stoop to posting on my own 24/7 just to win a bet? And the two of us never even having met!

What does that say about your view of human nature?! (I'd have my family register and post for me ... how's that? Clean hands here!!!).

All the best,
NMIE
Hi NMIE:

I thought you might try to enlist some help, so I figured we could just feeze the membership to head that off! :D

Regards,

Mel
4th&Goal

Post by 4th&Goal »

The forum has taught me much during the first year. Thanks to everyone working so hard to keep things together.

Mike
"I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left." | (Voltaire)
unclemick

Post by unclemick »

Hmmm - since we're discussing money - I was too cheap to cough up five bucks at the old forum and remained a lurker.

?? Is it ok come the 19th to spend some of the money I saved on a small cake/single candle for a quiet birthday celebration - or is that too extravagent?

heh heh heh - 8) So what's my cut if I help out on the posts - you pay by the post or what??
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Advice You Can Trust"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Mel:

Thank you for this birthday reminder.

I think we are all astonished at how far this forum as come so quickly--not so much for the numbers, but more important, for the quality.

I have the January issue of MONEY magazine in front of me. The title on the Investing section is: "Where to go for advice you can trust (really)." This is what they wrote about us:

"Test your portfolio strategy at diehards.org, a devoted online community of savvy investors.

The best advice--in print, online or in conversations--is about long-term strategy, not stock picks. And that's where the Bogleheads message boards shine.

The Bogleheads got their start as an online community for fans of Vangard funds at the Morningstar website, and they attracted a dedicated following that includes some top financial planners.

They've since set up a bigger, independent forum at diehards.org. This isn't a place only for Vanguard account holders. It's for anyone who wants to know more about Vanguard founder Jack Bogle's eminently sensible investment philosophy: Keep your costs low, don't chase performance, focus on asset allocation rather than stock picking, and invest early and often."

Trying to make sense of your 401K plan's options? Post them on the board and you'll get ideas for building a simple, low-cost portfolio. Want advice on trading currencies? the Bogleheads will politely talk you out of it. Yes, it's free advice from people you don't know, so take it with the appropriate grain of salt,. But you could pay big bucks for far, far worse ideas."

Thank you Mel. And thank you MONEY magazine!

Best wishes.
Taylor
jeff mc

Re: "Advice You Can Trust"

Post by jeff mc »

Taylor Larimore wrote:...Thank you Mel. And thank you MONEY magazine!

Best wishes.
Taylor
and i owe money magazine (and this diehard board) a special thanks, too, in that the lil picture and a paragraph they did on me as a wayward investor who found the diehards just in the nick of time before the nasdaq crash let me cross off one of my life's 69 goals: "appear (or be quoted in) in a national magazine". pat regnier (money mag journalist) gets it and gets us.

so, 1 goal down, 68 more to go (actually, i stripped out the completed goals and filled the buffer back up to 69 on 1/1/08. i was doing the 'bucket list' before i knew it had a name, starting it in '91. updated a few times since. anyway, enough about me me me... this is about us us us or you you you... thankfully not them them them...
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: "Advice You Can Trust"

Post by Mel Lindauer »

jeff aka chuck D wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:...Thank you Mel. And thank you MONEY magazine!

Best wishes.
Taylor
and i owe money magazine (and this diehard board) a special thanks, too, in that the lil picture and a paragraph they did on me as a wayward investor who found the diehards just in the nick of time before the nasdaq crash let me cross off one of my life's 69 goals: "appear (or be quoted in) in a national magazine". pat regnier (money mag journalist) gets it and gets us.

so, 1 goal down, 68 more to go (actually, i stripped out the completed goals and filled the buffer back up to 69 on 1/1/08. i was doing the 'bucket list' before i knew it had a name, starting it in '91. updated a few times since. anyway, enough about me me me... this is about us us us or you you you... thankfully not them them them...
Hi Jeff:

I saw "Bucket List" a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic movie! Highly recommend it.

Best regards,

Mel
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

Awesome.

Glad to have been allowed to participate. I have learned a lot by reading here, and have so much more to learn -- I can't wait!

Thanks, and congratulations on a truly successful evolution!
DG
bolt

Post by bolt »

[removed at request of poster]
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Tommorrow's the Big Day!

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Again Everyone:

On the eve of our first birthday, I noticed that we have now crossed the 6,000 mark in registered members. Here are the official figures as of 7:30pm EST:
Our users have posted a total of 155489 articles
We have 6003 registered users
Best regards to all,

Mel
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

make a wish...

Re: Tommorrow's the Big Day!

Mel Lindauer wrote:Hello Again Everyone:

On the eve of our first birthday, I noticed that we have now crossed the 6,000 mark in registered members. Here are the official figures as of 7:30pm EST:
Best regards to all,

Mel
Thanks for helping to "make it all happen," Mel (and everyone else involved, too)!

"Paying excessive mutual fund expense fees: $5,000."
"Paying unnecessary mutual fund loads: $10,000."
"Not knowing what it means to fix a personal AA and stick by it: $$$$$$"
"Registering & participating @ Diehards.org: priceless!"
watling

Post by watling »

As a 69-year-old first time investor, this site has been invaluable to me. I can only echo the sentiments posted above and also want to pay special tribute to Laura and all those who heard my cries for help, kindly counseled and unselfishly helped me take the plunge into what I had always considered very scary, turbulent investment waters. Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary and thank you to all involved!
[commercial sig removed, this post may be spam - admin alex. Legit members please contact me at webmaster address]
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Mel writes:

Wow! What a success story. Happy birthday, Bogleheads, and a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has played a role in creating, moderating and growing such a great forum.

Best wishes,
Michael
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Happy Birthday everyone. Why don't we celebrate like I celebrate my childrens' first birthdays? We make a big cake, slather it with thick frosting, strip them down to their diaper, and just let them go at it on video.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
slowandsteady

Post by slowandsteady »

Happy Birthday Diehards.Org and fellow Bogleheads!!!

Here is to many more:
:sharebeer
Adrian Nenu

Post by Adrian Nenu »

Yes, the decision to create a new Vanguard Diehards Investment Forum independent of M* was a great decision. Thanks to all those who made it happen and for the continuing moderation activity that helps to keep this board civil.
I suggested a forum independent of M* at least 5-6 years ago when the troublemakers started showing up in strength. Glad it finally happened.

Adrian
anenu@tampabay.rr.com
Dan-Fl

HB

Post by Dan-Fl »

H
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANY MORE AND THANKS FOR ALL THE SAGE ADVISE.
THANKS
DAN-FL AND USVI :o
Retiree

Post by Retiree »

Have a happy celebration of your birthday. I'm glad you were born !!!!

Thanks to everyone here who helped me get a better handle on my investments.

Congratulations again! Best forum ever.

... Retiree
woof755

Post by woof755 »

EmergDoc wrote:Happy Birthday everyone. Why don't we celebrate like I celebrate my childrens' first birthdays? We make a big cake, slather it with thick frosting, strip them down to their diaper, and just let them go at it on video.
Uncanny. It's like you are in the room with me.

Happy Birthday, Diehards.org! Many thanks not only to those who made it happen a year ago, but also to all those early posters who made it so strong.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
achie25

Post by achie25 »

Awh man. My daughter's 1st birthday is the Feb. 20th. Close!
unclemick

Post by unclemick »

Happy Birthday Bogleheads! You done good!

:D

heh heh heh - and may you have many more.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Boglehead forum history?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Mel:

We have a well documented history of Morningstar's Diehard Forum which you read at our Diehard Reunions.

I have not seen a history of the Boglehead Forum and how it began (I was slow to come over). I think Pheonix just did it (whoever he/she is). Can you or someoneone else give us background?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Cook

Post by Jack Cook »

Happy Birthday all! Money magazine sure hit the nail on the head. I can't believe this forum is only a year old. It seems like I have been lurking, reading and doing a little posting for more time than that.

To Mel, Taylor, Laura, Barry, Larry, Rick, Valuethinker, and all of the other great posters, thanks for sharing your time and expertise with the rest of us. This forum is doubtless the best free online resources
available on investing and has and will save countless investors millions of dollars.

An example, I picked up the Bloomberg article about 401k fees a couple of weeks ago and passed it along to my daughter who inturn passed it on the the management committee of her medical group. As a result they are re-evaluating their 401k with Hartford Insurance and hopefully will find an advisor with lower fees and better funds. I also found a couple of very helpful posts from those of you that have recently switched 401k administrators.

The founders performed a wonderful public service when they created this forum.

Thanks, Jack
tashina
Site Admin

Post by tashina »

Happy Birthday, Bogleheads! I've learned a lot just watching all of you talk.

If Mel needs any help on that history,just let me know. I can tell you that Phoenix and I were quite surprised with how quickly it took off. The forum was originally meant as a short term solution - an oasis of calm during the other forum's troubles - but it became so much more. :happy

Here's the Morningstar thread where it was first discussed.

Best wishes for many more years of quality posting. :beer
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

A very happy first birthday for this forum. While I am not much involved these days having passed on responsibility to a terrific team of administrators and moderators, I happily second tashina's toast.
Taylor Larimore wrote:I have not seen a history of the Boglehead Forum and how it began (I was slow to come over). I think Pheonix just did it (whoever he/she is). Can you or someoneone else give us background?
I just did it. It was a very trying time at M*. Many will remember those days and hope they never happen again.

Setting the forum up was about 15 minutes work. While it was busy at first, the addition of tashina and arrete as moderators lightened the load. Barry Barnitz and gbs volunteered to take on roles as librarians, lightening the load further. Then Alex and Larry kindly offered to take on the hosting and administration and a small nucleus put together the Advisory Council. The rest is history.

In historical terms, my role was minimal. M* was at a tipping point and I was just that one extra grain of sand. This forum's success is due to the thousands who post here and the dozen or so volunteers who keep it all running smoothly while getting much more grief than thanks. Not much credit is due one anonymous individual who took 15 minutes to install a piece of software a year ago today. The avalanche began with one grain of sand but the avalanche is all of you.

Best wishes to all for many more years of quality posting. What a talkative bunch you have turned out to be. ;)
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

I would like to express my thanks to Taylor and Mel. This forum may not have prospered as it has without their support after its inception. And also thanks to all the admin and moderating team to help make this forum run smoothly.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

If something happens to an admin, would another person be able to take over? How about the web address registration? Could somebody take over the registration? I hate to lose this web site. It's a great asset. It's part of my portfolio.
I heard something about underground backup operations and a plane with an administrator in flight at all times.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Happy BD to the other 6002 Bogleheads who have found a home here. :moneybag
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
carolsc

Post by carolsc »

Decided to finally join on this first birthday (I have been a member over at Morningstar). :D

Thanks to all the great posters!

carolsc
arrete

Post by arrete »

Wheeee!

Kathy - great to have been in at the beginning.
Quando omni flunkus moritati
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Phoenix wrote: In historical terms, my role was minimal.
Phoenix, your role may have been minimal in terms of having only taken 15 minutes to set up. (Really? Just 15 minutes?) However, technically, this is the best, easiest to use, and most intuitive board I've ever seen. I'm simply amazed at what can be done here. And it certainly enhances the quality of communication that is going on.

I assume you are responsible for that. If not, please just pass my admiration on to whoever is responsible. jg
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Bogleheads forum history from Mel's perspective

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Mel:

We have a well documented history of Morningstar's Diehard Forum which you read at our Diehard Reunions.

I have not seen a history of the Boglehead Forum and how it began (I was slow to come over). I think Phoenix just did it (whoever he/she is). Can you or someone else give us background?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Everyone:

There was an old discussion on the M* forum (linked to above) about M*'s failure to moderate their Vanguard Diehards forum adequately, and asking (begging?) M* to get rid of hocus. That discussion contained a link to this new forum partway through the conversation. I followed the link and immediately realized that this could be the answer to the M* Vanguard Diehards forum problems of lack of moderation and outdated software.

I immediately signed up (I was member #24) in order to show my support for the new forum's effort. Phoenix, Tashina and Kathy were great to work with, and in behind-the-scenes conversations, Phoenix graciously agreed to turn control of the day-to-day operations over the Alex and Larry at diehards.org. I tried to persuade Taylor that this could really be something great, and he reluctantly agreed to sign up.

Obviously, both Taylor and I felt (and still feel) allegiance to M*, since they gave birth to the Vanguard Diehards. However, we were saddened and disappointed by the lack of moderation and software updates at that forum. When we decided to support the new forum, we agreed that Diehards should feel free to post wherever they felt most comfortable, and that he and I would post on both forums.

I was also concerned about M*'s commitment to the Vanguard Diehards forum. I knew that if M* decided to pull the plug on the forum for financial reasons, it would be almost impossible to reassemble our group, since we had no way of contacting everyone. Therefore, this new forum provided insurance against that potential problem, too.

I think it's fair to say that M* has made a concerted effort to address the various problems. The finally banned hocus, but they've gotten mixed reviews on their forum software upgrade. However, Taylor and I do feel that M*Casey is now taking forum moderation much more seriously in an attempt to avoid the mistakes of the past.

In one short year we've gone from zero to more than 6,000 members, and we've already received recognition from Money Magazine as one of the best investing sites on the Internet. So it's obviously the members who make the forum, wherever they post.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so much towards our forum's success. Let's all vow to continue in our never-ending quest for excellence!

Best regards to all,

Mel
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Thanks to this site, starting one year ago Diehards and Bogleheads have been able to change the focus of the locus from the thing that was about to choke us.

(and that's no joke-us!)

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx