RSS feeds by thread

Discussions about the forum and contents
Trice

RSS feeds by thread

Post by Trice » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:22 pm

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I searched but didn't find anything. Would it be possible to create an RSS feed for each new thread/topic only, rather than the current RSS feed which includes every single post? This is a very valuable community and I've found RSS feeds to be the most efficient way to track new activity. However, the volume of new posts each day (hundreds or thousands) is too much to keep up on.

Thank you for your consideration.

srinivas

Re: RSS feeds by thread

Post by srinivas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:47 pm

djr1904 wrote:the volume of new posts each day (hundreds or thousands) is too much to keep up on.

One option to consider in working with the existing feed is to group "articles" by subject (provided your RSS reader supports it) and collapse all groups.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm

The RSS feed is on the home page, here's the direct link: RSS feed

You get the latest post for the past 12 hours, or 50 posts, whichever is less. Sorry, we don't have RSS feeds by threads or provide any customization, as we like to keep the forum software as "stock" as possible.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

I'd like to add my voice, minimal as it is, to this.

An RSS feed which gets updated with a new item for every reply to every topic is not useful. There are many tens, or even hundreds, of responses to new and existing topics every day. It's also disorganized, because the items come in as they are posted, chronologically, jumping around from topic to topic. Reading through the feed is like trying to keep track of a dozen simultaneous conversations. It's just too much.

I understand the desire to keep software "stock", but the RSS feed, as it exists now, desperately needs more than that.

Trice

Post by Trice » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

blackmagic wrote:I'd like to add my voice, minimal as it is, to this.

An RSS feed which gets updated with a new item for every reply to every topic is not useful. There are many tens, or even hundreds, of responses to new and existing topics every day. It's also disorganized, because the items come in as they are posted, chronologically, jumping around from topic to topic. Reading through the feed is like trying to keep track of a dozen simultaneous conversations. It's just too much.

I understand the desire to keep software "stock", but the RSS feed, as it exists now, desperately needs more than that.

I agree with this completely. This is a very valuable community and I'd like to contribute more, but I don't have time to visit the board every day. RSS feeds would easily and efficiently help me to decide which topics to engage with.

You can use Yahoo Pipes to modify the feed to exclude repeat posts under one thread - and in fact someone has discussed this a long time ago http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20717&start=4&mrr=1219915204 - but I can't get it to work properly. I hope to revisit the project when I have more time but I'm not optimistic that will be anytime soon or that I'll have the expertise to solve it.

shiva

Post by shiva » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:51 pm

This was bothering me quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion of using Yahoo Pipes for this. Please try the below 'filtered' RSS feed that exposes only new posts. It is 'only' as reliable as Yahoo Pipes itself.
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ ... render=rss

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:04 pm

I use Feedly for RSS posts, but had to delete Bogleheads due to sheer number of items coming across. If this has been fixed, can someone please post how?

I'd like to add BogleHeads to my Feedly.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:18 pm

The RSS feed is limited to the latest post for the past 12 hours, or 50 posts, whichever is less.

It works fine in Firefox, so there must be something different about Feedly.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:33 pm

LadyGeek wrote:The RSS feed is limited to the latest post for the past 12 hours, or 50 posts, whichever is less.

Feedly works fine in Firefox.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:48 pm

chaz wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:The RSS feed is limited to the latest post for the past 12 hours, or 50 posts, whichever is less.

Sorry I meant the Feedly app for iPhone.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:27 pm

airahcaz wrote:
chaz wrote:

Sorry I meant the Feedly app for iPhone.

I also have the Feedly app on my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:35 pm

54 new items. Let's see if it continues, else overwhelming.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 pm

airahcaz wrote:

Don't have Feedly, but I once tried an RSS app that kept all of the unread items, even from old feeds that had since been updated. It was useful for keeping track of all the panels I hadn't seen in the xkcd Time comic. But it could quickly become annoying if one doesn't have time to check the feed for days. Perhaps Feedly is doing the same?

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

Don't have Feedly, but I once tried an RSS app that kept all of the unread items, even from old feeds that had since been updated. It was useful for keeping track of all the panels I hadn't seen in the xkcd Time comic. But it could quickly become annoying if one doesn't have time to check the feed for days. Perhaps Feedly is doing the same?

It didn't work. After the 54 I still continued to get many more items in a matter of minutes. Had to delete it again.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm

There are no more than 50 posts in the feed at any one time. Feedly is most probably caching (saving) the old ones until they're read - which is how most readers work.

Look for a setting to limit the number of unread articles. A quick google search shows that Feedly may have a limit much higher than 50, or no limit at all.

I don't have Feedly, nor an iPhone. However, I think this is the problem.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:38 pm

I agree with LadyGeek. This appears to be a Feedly problem. From looking around on Google, Feedly retains items in any RSS feed update, even if later updates remove the items.

The best option is to set up Feedly to use the auto-read functionality and then configure it to show unread items. Here's a blog from Feedly with a screenshot for that: http://blog.feedly.com/feedly-tutorial/

Trice

Post by Trice » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:48 pm

shiva wrote:This was bothering me quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion of using Yahoo Pipes for this. Please try the below 'filtered' RSS feed that exposes only new posts. It is 'only' as reliable as Yahoo Pipes itself.
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ ... render=rss

An update for anyone who uses Yahoo Pipes, that service will be discontinued later in the summer (link: http://pipes.yqlblog.net/post/120705592639/pipes-end-of-life-announcement). So any of us who are interested in a Bogleheads "new posts only" feed will have to find another solution.

Trice

Post by Trice » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 am

I just thought I'd bump this thread in hopes that someone has some new ideas or a solution to this issue. The problem is that the Bogleheads forum RSS feed captures every single new post which creates hundreds of items every day. For me, and I would imagine others, it's too much to sift through. Someone created a Yahoo Pipes custom feed which narrowed it down to new threads only, which was a dramatic improvement. Unfortunately Yahoo Pipes was discontinued at the end of September so it's back to drinking from the firehose or going without.

alinm

Post by alinm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:53 pm

I went on and removed Bogleheads.org from my RSS (feedly) because the number of updates is unmanageable and I am realistically interested in only a few of the threads.

Tried to use some ideas from here: Getting the Most Out of SMF - XML, RSS and RSS2 (and Atom and RDF) feeds
but the -empirical- attempt to add in feedly:

Code: Select all

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1;type=rss2;action=.xml;sa=news;limit=50

didn't work, so I gave up and decided I'll probably check now and then the list of topics on the website.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Sorry, the feed on the homepage is not very flexible. We also have the forum's atom feed disabled (different than rss), so nothing will work there.

I could take a look at this, but probably won't get to it for a while.

Trice

Post by Trice » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am

LadyGeek wrote:Sorry, the feed on the homepage is not very flexible. We also have the forum's atom feed disabled (different than rss), so nothing will work there.

I could take a look at this, but probably won't get to it for a while.

For whatever it's worth, a number of us would appreciate more RSS flexibility so whatever you could do would be great. I realize you're doing this as a volunteer essentially so know that I'm conscious and appreciative of your time commitment. Those of us who would benefit from this would see our engagement with Bogleheads go up significantly.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:41 am

I also recognize the value of RSS feeds, which is why I put one on the home page. It was the best that could be done at the time.

One major limitation is that we only use software mods (PHP "extensions") that have been validated by the developers.

Great timing, as a possible extension has just become available within the past month. The first step is to do a lot of testing. If it's OK, I'll then need the site owners' permission to install it.

That's two steps, neither of which are guaranteed. I can't give you a time frame, but I'll start looking at it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:39 pm

The built-in atom feeds are now available, see: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:04 pm

LadyGeek wrote:The built-in atom feeds are now available, see: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

Still a bit confused as to how or if this can be added to Feedly app

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Feedly is used by members of our Canadian sister site: New feature - Feeds - Financial Wisdom Forum, so I know it will work here. I just can't help you myself, as I don't have feedly.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:15 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Feedly is used by members of our Canadian sister site: New feature - Feeds - Financial Wisdom Forum, so I know it will work here. I just can't help you myself, as I don't have feedly.

Have tried with Feedly and it merely brings in every post, as it had in the past - which is why I asked.

Trice

Post by Trice » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:20 pm

First of all, let me say that I'm VERY excited for this. I can't wait to try these out. You have my deep appreciation.

airahcaz wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:The built-in atom feeds are now available, see: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"

As for this, if you click through to the post where LadyGeek lays out the details, you'll see multiple feed options. In many browsers, RSS feed options are included so you can simply click on the link with the RSS feed and it will give you a drop-down box of RSS options to add the feed to. Otherwise, you can right-click on the feed, choose the copy link option, then open Feedly and click on the "+" box near the top left then enter the feed manually.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Trice wrote:First of all, let me say that I'm VERY excited for this. I can't wait to try these out. You have my deep appreciation.

airahcaz wrote:

As for this, if you click through to the post where LadyGeek lays out the details, you'll see multiple feed options. In many browsers, RSS feed options are included so you can simply click on the link with the RSS feed and it will give you a drop-down box of RSS options to add the feed to. Otherwise, you can right-click on the feed, choose the copy link option, then open Feedly and click on the "+" box near the top left then enter the feed manually.

I don't see how that can work. Feedly asks for search terms. You mean search for:

feed.php

?

Trice

Post by Trice » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:38 pm

You don't have to search for it. Just copy that URL (or any of the URLs from the other feeds) then paste them in the box that appears after you click the "+" box on Feedly. They're active RSS feeds and Feedly will recognize them.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:45 pm

In case anyone is looking for the RSS feed on the bogleheads.org home page, I just revised the link to point to the forum's (default) atom feed.

Since airahcaz is asking this question in both threads, let's continue the discussion in: The Forum is now "Feed friendly" (Peculiar_Investor has also replied with an answer).

(Thread locked to redirect the discussion.)