[merged donation threads] Dear Bogleheads - time to pony up

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Valuethinker

[merged donation threads] Dear Bogleheads - time to pony up

Post by Valuethinker »

Dear Bogleheads

The time to help a man or woman is when they are down. Or in the case of BH Forum, living on borrowed bandwidth and location.

Many of us found this week how much we missed this Forum. It's time to help BH get back on its feet. our money will matter more to the Forum now.

I am working on a way to give $50 to the Forum (not quite so simple transatlantic, don't get me started on paypal).

I don't wish to imply my gift is generous (it is not). But if each and every one of us gave $10....

It's hands in your pocket time, ladies and gents. Even if only $10.

I can guarantee you none of it will be wasted on pointless TV attack ads in Ohio.... ;-).

[note: multiple donation threads merged here by admin alex]
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Dear Bogleheads - time to pony up

Post by nisiprius »

Well said. I hadn't even thought about it, but you're right, and so I kicked in something.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I've been out of the loop on this one, since I just got my power back yesterday. Did something happen with the BH forum host? Does BH need $$ to migrate to a better host? I'd be happy to contribute to the pot. Whether it is $10 or $20 or $50, that pales in comparison to the ROI I get from the advice here.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Good idea Valuethinker ..... I'll match your $50.

If you are old fashioned like me and do it by check the http://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm#donate instructions say:

Checks should be made out to "Gostynska Frakt, Ltd." and sent to:

Gostynska Frakt, Ltd.
100 W. Monroe St., Suite 1214
Chicago, IL 60603

Check is in the mail.
JW
Retired at Last
CABob

Post by CABob »

Tom_T wrote:I've been out of the loop on this one, since I just got my power back yesterday. Did something happen with the BH forum host? Does BH need $$ to migrate to a better host? I'd be happy to contribute to the pot. Whether it is $10 or $20 or $50, that pales in comparison to the ROI I get from the advice here.
That's funny in a sad sort of way. While your power was down so was the power to the BH servers. And while you were dealing with your power problems the most significant problems some of us were having were withdrawal symptoms from not having the forum. I am just beginning to recover. :D
Bob
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:Good idea Valuethinker ..... I'll match your $50.

If you are old fashioned like me and do it by check the http://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm#donate instructions say:

Gostynska Frakt, Ltd.
Chicago, IL 60603

Check is in the mail.
JW
In the past few years I have made some checks to Gostynska, and they have been received by Alex and applied to this site's maintenance. For me, the cost/benefit ratio of the contributions to the value I derive from this site far exceeds any other my expenditures.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
midareff

Post by midareff »

$25 sent PayPal ... 8-)

and many thanks to this site for everything it has given me.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

With the money could the Bogleheads move the serves away from the coasts to maybe help in the future.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

CABob wrote:
Tom_T wrote:I've been out of the loop on this one, since I just got my power back yesterday. Did something happen with the BH forum host? Does BH need $$ to migrate to a better host? I'd be happy to contribute to the pot. Whether it is $10 or $20 or $50, that pales in comparison to the ROI I get from the advice here.
That's funny in a sad sort of way. While your power was down so was the power to the BH servers. And while you were dealing with your power problems the most significant problems some of us were having were withdrawal symptoms from not having the forum. I am just beginning to recover. :D
For us, it was just a few days of inconvenience, not even a blip in comparison to what many of our fellow NJ residents are dealing with.

So what's a few dollars to help out this forum which has saved me $$$$ over and over? I'm in.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Valuethinker wrote:Dear Bogleheads

The time to help a man or woman is when they are down. Or in the case of BH Forum, living on borrowed bandwidth and location.

Many of us found this week how much we missed this Forum. It's time to help BH get back on its feet. our money will matter more to the Forum now.

I am working on a way to give $50 to the Forum (not quite so simple transatlantic, don't get me started on paypal).

I don't wish to imply my gift is generous (it is not). But if each and every one of us gave $10....

It's hands in your pocket time, ladies and gents. Even if only $10.

I can guarantee you none of it will be wasted on pointless TV attack ads in Ohio.... ;-).
Valuethinker:

This is a wonderful and timely idea to show appreciation to Alex Frakt and Larry Auton for giving us this forum, free of commercials and free of conflict-of-interest--and contributing their own time and expense.

Our check is in the mail.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Done. I could never repay what I've learned here. Yes, I did miss the site and found myself checking to see if the site was up every few hours. Thank you Taylor and administrators for the taking the time for making this site first rate.
Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage »

I'm in. Site makes it easy peasy to donate.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.
xrw1

Post by xrw1 »

I'm in! This site has helped me so much and answered so many of my questions even though they have been already covered many times.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Me too!! Just sent 25.00 via Paypal.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
ram

Post by ram »

I just sent my contribution by paypal.
Ram
femur

Post by femur »

I just chipped in over paypal.

Considering that the bogleheads have contributed so much to the well being of myself and my family, I can think of no cause more deserving of my money.

I hope others will continue to donate!
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

I agree and using Paypal
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I do not use paypal and have no wish to get involved with it. Are there alternative mechanisms of providing support?
femur

Post by femur »

Calm Man wrote:I do not use paypal and have no wish to get involved with it. Are there alternative mechanisms of providing support?
Yes. As listed in the link that was posted above: http://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm#donate

Gostynska Frakt, Ltd.
Chicago, IL 60603
praxis

Post by praxis »

I am glad to help too, and grateful for the forum.
thanks to all
praxis
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Calm Man wrote:I do not use paypal and have no wish to get involved with it. Are there alternative mechanisms of providing support?
In my case (transatlantic paypal issues) I have found a kind soul to make a paypal donation on your side of the drink, and I shall recompense them via amazon.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just to be clear, using the link it is possible to contribute from a PayPal account if you have one, but you don't need to have one. You can also use the link to contribute using a credit card without having, creating, or using a PayPal account; PayPal merely processes the credit card transaction.

I don't know whether you regard that as getting "involved" with PayPal.

A sane person could choose not to have anything at all to do with PayPal. Still, the main PayPal evils, IMHO, have to do with having a PayPal account; in my opinion they are not only an unregulated bank, but have issued their own currency.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

nisiprius wrote:
Just to be clear, using the link it is possible to contribute from a PayPal account if you have one, but you don't need to have one. You can also us the link to contribute using a credit card without having, creating, or using a PayPal account; PayPal merely processes the credit card transaction.

I don't know whether you regard that as getting "involved" with PayPal.

A sane person could choose not to have anything at all to do with PayPal. Still, the main PayPal evils, IMHO, have to do with having a PayPal account; in my opinion they are not only an unregulated bank, but have issued their own currency.
Thank you for the clarification. I don't object to it being a processor. I simply do not want a paypal account. After the Notre Dame game, I will look into the contribution.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote:FYI - This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum.
Logically, it may belong here, but it was far more visible in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum. We have a couple of "welcome back" threads in this Forum Issues and Administration forum with suggestions to make donations, but these have not been even nearly as impactful as Valuethinker's thread.

If the purpose is to have as many people as possible to see this thread, I recommend moving it back.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

VictoriaF wrote:Logically, it may belong here, but it was far more visible in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum. We have a couple of "welcome back" threads in this Forum Issues and Administration forum with suggestions to make donations, but these have not been even nearly as impactful as Valuethinker's thread.

If the purpose is to have as many people as possible to see this thread, I recommend moving it back.
+1
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Moving it back would be my preference as well.

I often don't visit this sub board for weeks. Many others may not visit it at all.

Most of us visit the investing sub board.

We need to get maximal impact when this is salient in the minds of readers, we can all see the devastation of NJ right on our TV screens.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

I think this the moment for us all to cry (in an homage to Kirk Douglas and 'Spartacus')

'No I am Alex Frakt'
'No I am Alex Frakt'
'No I am Alex Frakt'

;-).
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

rec7 wrote:With the money could the Bogleheads move the serves away from the coasts to maybe help in the future.
Tornadoes ;-).

And of course, the worst recorded earthquake in US history was in the early 1800s outside of Memphis, I believe. ;-).
femur

Post by femur »

Valuethinker wrote:Moving it back would be my preference as well.

I often don't visit this sub board for weeks. Many others may not visit it at all.

Most of us visit the investing sub board.

We need to get maximal impact when this is salient in the minds of readers, we can all see the devastation of NJ right on our TV screens.
I also think that if were in the original forum, it would get more notice and thus more donations.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

OK, it's back in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
femur

Post by femur »

LadyGeek wrote:OK, it's back in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
Thanks! :)
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

After all, I can always post my two cents. I made a contribution somewhat more than that!

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Done. Thanks for the suggestion and all the time graciously spent.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Thanks for the heads up Valuethinker.
Regards | Bob
pjshen

Post by pjshen »

Done -- great idea. Thank you all for the timely information, advice and edutainment!
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Done and wish I could have done more. This site and it's contributors have been invaluable to me.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Just sent in my contribution via PayPal.

Thanks to LadyGeek for moving the original post back to this forum where I think it will get more attention and hopefully more :moneybag generous contributions. I sure did miss the site all week and never thought about how often I use it.
Tom D.
tfb

Post by tfb »

If people have problems with PayPal (I never had any), did Alex consider adding Amazon Payments as an alternative? The pricing is identical to PayPal's. I use both Amazon Payments and PayPal when I sell my ebook. About half choose Amazon Payments and half choose PayPal.

https://payments.amazon.com/
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Thanks for the reminder. My check is in the mail.

Ed
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

My check is in the mail.
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

I had no problem with paypal. It took all of 2 minutes.
fx24

Post by fx24 »

Im in
norookie

Post by norookie »

:oops:
Last edited by norookie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
More Please

Post by More Please »

Zee check is in zee mail. Thanks for all you do.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

The absence of the forum for a few days made me realize how valuable it is. PayPal makes it easy to contribute. Thanks for everything.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Already sent $50 in early September. I send something each year for the last 3, I think, maybe more,...it is on my calendar to do so. I use PayPal with a credit card.
Thanks again.

Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
sage_joch

Post by sage_joch »

Money well spent. :D

*bump*