How did you find the bogleheads website??

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
staythecourse

How did you find the bogleheads website??

Post by staythecourse » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Just curious after reading Taylor's thread on the compliment towards this website (which I agree with wholeheartedly) I started to think how I ended up on this website. Sounds like something out of a movie, but must say I don't even remember how I ended up here.

Thought it would be interesting to find out how other members found the site.

As far as I'm concerned this site and especially the nice synopsis on bogleheads principles on the Wiki should be MANDATORY reading before anyone invests a dollar of their hard earned money.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Khanmots

Re: How did you find the bogleheads website??

Post by Khanmots » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

I'd decided that the market was efficient and that expenses and taxes were what could be controlled and was looking for an online forum (via google) whose members shared those beliefs. Found this :)
Last edited by Khanmots on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm

I have no idea, but just out of curiosity, I'd love to know :-)

Somehow or other I found this site earlier this year when I was trying to optimize my 401(k) plan. I must have stumbled onto it from a google search or a link or mention somewhere. At the time, I was gradually coming around to the the passive investing philosophy, and my wife and I actually had most of our IRA's in Vanguard Target Date retirement funds, and this website is what finished the deal for me.

What I find interesting about this site and the philosophy around it is that once you understand the merits of passive investing, it's so obvious, and it's also so easy to apply. The hard part is discovering this message in the first place, which is not easy to do when you're bombarded with Wall Street propaganda and the financial media fawning over the latest hot mutual funds and stocks.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

I was an early member of the Vanguard Diehards at Morningstar and learned of this site from posts to that site.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Typed "Vanguard Diehards" into a search engine and it somehow bounced me here - good thing too!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Always reading different financial info on the web and I just came across this site in my search for more knowledge :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm

I was looking for information on Vanguard ETFs, and a Google link pointed here. Never heard of Bogleheads before that.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm

jeff1949 wrote:I was an early member of the Vanguard Diehards at Morningstar and learned of this site from posts to that site.
I was a fellow traveller.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Through the FatWallet Finance forums, which I found by searching for best savings account rates and credit card deals. Quite often people said to check out bogleheads for investing questions.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 pm

I had tried various "methods" of investing resulting in huge losses. In desperation, I started searching for ways to lose less. I stumbled upon the Vanguard Diehards at M* and joined. Then this site started in 2007, offered many advantages over M* and here I am. I have so much gratitude for the people that give so much of their time and wisdom. Most of all, I am grateful for Jack Bogle and his efforts. I enjoy his many books and his wise investing approach. It is indeed an honor to learn in this way.

I am now retired and staying the course.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

BHCadet

Post by BHCadet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Forbes listed this site as the top financial sites on the web.
There were other sites on the list too.
But, I'm hooked on this one.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 pm

I read about the Diehards in one of Bernstein's books and joined at M*. Then after most of those forum members migrated here and M* was getting thin and slow, I followed them. -- Tet

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Started reading at M* Diehards board and joined this site when it started.

nibble

Post by nibble » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 pm

I found a reference to it in either Money or Smart Money magazine... can't remember which, and went from there.

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Someone actually recommended it on a New Orleans Saints fan website that I visit daily. I had just lost some money on a horribly managed mutual fund and was looking for something that made more sense for me. Been a big fan since then and who knew that being a crazy football fan would actually pay off.

mshinde

Post by mshinde » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 pm

I was looking at lazy portfolio's in marketwatch & out of habit googled them and landed on bogleheads wiki

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I also came to this forum shortly after it started having been on the M* forum for a while. I can't recall exactly how I started on the M* forum. It may have been a recommendation from someone on The Motley Fool site. I probably started using it for fund informations, then discovered the forums including the VG Diehards. One of my earlier posts was looking for some help allocating a 401k rollover when I retired. A number of folks responded with help including Taylor.
Bob

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:18 pm

My 401k has a couple of Vanguard options in it, and I was looking for more info on them. Good thing!

I'm just sad I didn't find it a few years earlier.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I have no recall of how I landed here - yet very glad I did

somehow, I suspect alien abduction
Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Reading Morningstar and came across this site. Read almost every book in local library, 3 financial magazines and surfed web constantly. This is by far the most helpful and insightful source I've found.
Than you,Alex
John

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:11 am

A couple of years ago, I was chatting with a couple of friends who work IT for the finance sector about good low-cost places for starting a Roth IRA. One mentioned Vanguard and said to check out this forum and wiki. After he mentioned that, I also noticed the references on CNN Money to Vanguard and Bogle. So I came and lurked for a while before making an account.

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 am

tetractys wrote:I read about the Diehards in one of Bernstein's books and joined at M*. Then after most of those forum members migrated here and M* was getting thin and slow, I followed them. -- Tet
Same story here, except it was a Jonathan Clements book that first pointed me to the old M* forum.

--Pete
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 am

I found the old diehards site from reading The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:58 am

I just Googled "investing forum".
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 am

I read reference to it on the early retirement forum.

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 am

I first read a copy of Common Sense on Mutual Funds by Bogle in 2010 which I randomly found while looking at finance books on Amazon. Then in January last year I was looking for a book to read during a flight when I bought a copy of The Bogleheads Guide to Investing. That book led me here, and I found how helpful the Bogleheads community could be when I had a question about purchasing credit towards my pension.

BTW: I've loaned that exact copy of The Bogleheads Guide to Investing out to five people so far and everyone has given excellent feedback. It is the book in my opinion to introduce finance and investing.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

scone

Post by scone » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 am

I started reading books on retirement planning and investing, discovered Jack Bogle's work, and that led me here.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:06 am

Turned left at Greenland.
Gordon

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 am

Like some of the others who have posted, I found my way here via a reference or link on the Morningstar "Diehards" forum. And I found my way there via a free Morningstar premium membership from T. Rowe Price after I started investing an inheritance there a couple of years ago. That was my first experience with "real" investing after many years of socking part of my salary passively into a 403(b).
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 am

jeff1949 wrote:I was an early member of the Vanguard Diehards at Morningstar and learned of this site from posts to that site.
Me too.

gary11

Post by gary11 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 am

staythecourse wrote:Thought it would be interesting to find out how other members found the site.
I found reference to this site's inception via M* Vanguard Diehards forum.
Back in late 90s while reading Newsweek, title of Jane Bryant Quinn's article caught my eyes - it was something like "Try Plain Vanilla Index Fund..." and that prompted me to look into concept of Index funds and I somehow found Morningstar web site and eventually I landed up onto one of its forums - Vanguard Diehard forum. I still vividly remember Taylor Larimore's post on celebrating 1000th post on M* Vanguard Diehard forum.

Mandrale

Post by Mandrale » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 am

My father recommended that I begin reading these forums as a way to start low cost investing. He has been telling me about this forum for about 5 years, since my freshman year in college, but I was the kid who was always "too busy" to get around to reading these forums (aka drinking, playing video games, and hanging out with friends). Finally, once I graduated from college, I began to realize what sort of impact a site like this could have, so I began checking it. Now, I come here just about every day and scan through the various topics on the front page. The knowledge has been invaluable, though I feel like there is still so much that I do not understand.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 am

I found the Diehard site at Morningstar in the late 90s. (It started in 1998). I followed it here.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

IlikeJackB

Post by IlikeJackB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 am

I bought The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning and was impressed by the depth of knowledge and collective wisdom of the authors, the lack of hubris, and the range of topics covered. That book led me to this site, where I continue my education to this day. Thank you Bogleheads!
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 am

My first post I can find over at Diehards was in 2002, but I may have found it somehow a few years earlier as I've been a Vanguard investor since the 90's. All I can say is, what a blessing it has been to have this community resource!

The earliest multi-post thread from 1998 on the Vanguard Diehards forum, with excellent advice as usual from Taylor! http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... .aspx#3606
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 13-time loser

Topic Author
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks folks for jogging my memory. If i am remembering correctly I read a Dr. Bernstein book ?Four Pillars or IAA which referred this website.

Love it here ever since. My wife thinks it's a bit weird spending so much time on here, but I'm sure she is at least happy I'm not having an affair instead!!

Good luck.l
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 am

staythecourse wrote:Just curious after reading Taylor's thread on the compliment towards this website (which I agree with wholeheartedly) I started to think how I ended up on this website. Sounds like something out of a movie, but must say I don't even remember how I ended up here.

Thought it would be interesting to find out how other members found the site.

As far as I'm concerned this site and especially the nice synopsis on bogleheads principles on the Wiki should be MANDATORY reading before anyone invests a dollar of their hard earned money.

Good luck.
We came upon the site after a simple Yahoo search.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 am

Referred by a friend.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

I found out about this site in 2007 from participating on the old Morningstar forum.

By the way, I just searched for "investment discussion group" on google, and this site was the second result.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveKL

Post by SteveKL » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:19 pm

New arrival here! I've busily read hundred of threads, and really appreciate the depth of knowledge (and civility!) on this forum. I look forward to making my own contribution.

Although I'm a long-time Vanguard investor, I found this site accidentally through a mention on the Early-Retirement*org forum. My impression is that many of the folks there are also regulars here.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm not sure how I found this site. I do know that when I paid an $80 commission fee to buy a stock I knew something was off. I went online looking for advice and I assume at some point therein I found Bogleheads. Best investment move I've made so far, aside from going to all index funds.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 pm

SteveKL wrote:New arrival here! I've busily read hundred of threads, and really appreciate the depth of knowledge (and civility!) on this forum. I look forward to making my own contribution.
That's something I appreciate too -- not only the civility but the strong signal:noise ratio. There's not a lot of idle chatter that you see on a lot of internet forums. People tend to stick to the business at hand, which means you don't have to scroll through a lot of junk to get to the important parts. Granted, on a small-cap-value thread there is a lot of give and take, which is fine, but at least most of the posts are generally thoughtful and not a lot of garbage.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Khanmots wrote:I'd decided that the market was efficient and that expenses and taxes were what could be controlled and was looking for an online forum (via google) whose members shared those beliefs. Found this :)
I think Khanmots wins the A+ Bogleheads student award "I derived the model independently then came here when researching my theories." ;) Impressive!

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I was looking for funds that could serve as a substitute for the TSP funds.

Xanadu

Post by Xanadu » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Browsing the local library for some new finance books to read and stumbled upon 'the bogleheads guide to investing'.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:57 pm

staythecourse wrote:Love it here ever since. My wife thinks it's a bit weird spending so much time on here, but I'm sure she is at least happy I'm not having an affair instead!!

Good luck.l

Ha! My wife and your wife should get together to compare notes. I do know she now thinks we have half a shot at retiring on more than just dog food since I found this site.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

etselec

Post by etselec » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I saw this forum/site mentioned by a commenter over at Get Rich Slowly. GRS had some really great personal finance advice but nowhere near the depth of investing knowledge and detail that there is here.

wilked

Post by wilked » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm

harikaried wrote:Through the FatWallet Finance forums, which I found by searching for best savings account rates and credit card deals. Quite often people said to check out bogleheads for investing questions.
Same here...

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Don't remember exactly where I found the BH site. I just sort of stumbled across the Bogleheads name somewhere on the 'net, checked it out and was amazed at the wealth of information. That was about four years ago and I'm only slightly less amazed now.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."