hijacker (PWM) - READ THIS

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

hijacker (PWM) - READ THIS

Post by Alex Frakt »

Your destructive actions of tonight, hijacking a dozen accounts so you could flood the board with your nonsense goes too far. This is your final warning. If you do not leave this site and our members alone, I will be forced to move ahead with a civil law suit against you. You will be unable to remain anonymous. We have logged all your entries to this site from before you started regularly using anonymizing services. With this information and a court order, your ISP will turn over your personal information. This will then allow us to also file criminal complaints against you for your ongoing hack attempts on the site and for stealing our members' account information. If counsel agrees, we'll also be able to notify the IRS about your posts under various user names in which you admitted to (in a couple of cases, bragged about) hiding your income.

This is not a bluff. You can bow out now and nothing more will happen, I'll even leave your precious thread up. If you do not, I will start seeking legal counsel on Tuesday.

To our members. I'm prepared to pay the initial costs of this out of my pocket. But I may have to turn to you to and ask for donations to sustain it. I'm sorry about this, but there appears to be no other way to deal with this person.
Default User BR

Re: hijacker (PWM) - READ THIS

Post by Default User BR »

I'd contribute for that.
goalie

Post by goalie »

I'm in also. :moneybag
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I'm in also
snettles

Post by snettles »

I usually hate me too posts, but in this case... Me too.

Scott
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Default User BR wrote:I'd contribute for that.
+1

Eric
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

I am in!
Last edited by frugalhen on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
Robin

Post by Robin »

Yes, I'm in.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Alex:

You have my support. Just ask.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
TA_Lurker

Post by TA_Lurker »

Can we get the kick starter going now just to prove to the troll how little he is wanted here???
Exuberent

Post by Exuberent »

I would be happy to contribute.
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

I don't think I have seen any posts from this person.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

I will be glad to contribute
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Count me in too!
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Muchtolearn wrote:I don't think I have seen any posts from this person.
You could have missed his posts for several reasons. First, he hijacks members accounts in order to post. Also Alex is fast on taking down his posts. Yesterday, I was going to comment on one of his post, but it had been removed before I could post. This guy is out of control. Alex needs our support to stop his disruptions of this forum. I will be glad to contribute to be rid of this guy.
Best Wishes, | Joe
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Count on me to help take out the trash.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
xenopus

Post by xenopus »

Wow, Alex you sure do have an active imagination. Fortunately you will not find my name with any court subpoena. So if you and the others want to waste your money punishing innocent people with costly litigation then be my guest.

I, however, suggest that for once you do what will actually works, which is to unlock the thread and sticky it so there is at least one oasis of honesty on this site. When you left the thread alone I left you alone...so why are you making this so difficult?
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

xenopus wrote:Wow, Alex you sure do have an active imagination. Fortunately you will not find my name with any court subpoena. So if you and the others want to waste your money punishing innocent people with costly litigation then be my guest.

I, however, suggest that for once you do what will actually works, which is to unlock the thread and sticky it so there is at least one oasis of honesty on this site. When you left the thread alone I left you alone...so why are you making this so difficult?
This is a good example of this troll hijacking someone else's account.
Best Wishes, | Joe
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

Please quit it hijackerman, this is getting creepy.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Alex, I made my annual donation today supporting this site via the "support this site' link, albeit small, I will add more as necessary.
Jim
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

xenopus wrote:Fortunately you will not find my name with any court subpoena.
I hope the above is incorrect.
damjam

Post by damjam »

Muchtolearn wrote:I don't think I have seen any posts from this person.
For those who are unaware of the hijacker/troll, I'd say your lucky.
Last nights attack was infuriating. At first it was amusing how the troll would post and then Alex would quickly take it down. This happened over and over again until it was no longer amusing. Then the troll bombarded the forum with post after post after post... until my entire computer screen was virtually filled with his nonsense. This went on for sometime and then the site went down, at least for me. I was unable to get to Bogleheads. Now I know this site is not a matter of life and death, but losing the site because of a troll is simply unacceptable. If the outage had anything to do with the troll I am furious.
I simply hope he can be stopped. Obviously this is someone with a serious mental illness.

Edit to add: Kudos to Alex and all the staff/moderators for dealing with this crazy person. Apparently this has been escalating for years.
Last edited by damjam on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

Probably because Alex doesn't negotiate with terrorists.
Last edited by Khanmots on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Alex, I enjoy a good pile on, so if you need help, just ask.
Lots of great ideals being posted here.
Last edited by rustymutt on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

JMacDonald wrote:This is a good example of this troll hijacking someone else's account.
Can someone explain how this person manages to hijack other users' accounts?
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

They run password buster programs and if you have some stupid simple password like password, qwerty, boglehead, they gain entry and post under that name. Short version.
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

xenopus wrote:Wow, Alex you sure do have an active imagination. Fortunately you will not find my name with any court subpoena.
Really? Did you forget about your posts using cellular service?
There is no point negotiating with someone with no honor. I did leave the thread alone. You are the one who broke your word and hijacked a new account to bump it. On a holiday weekend of all times. Did you think you would catch the moderators unawares? Or is that what bitter, lonely losers do in a pathetic attempt to get some attention when they see normal people out with their friends and family?

This is an advice forum, so I'm going to give you some. I also had a rough childhood which left me with some real issues forming positive relationships with other people. But time, help from some patient people, and a real effort on my part allowed me to work through it. You clearly have the intelligence and the perseverance to do it too. So instead of devoting thousands of hours to anonymously harassing people, get some counseling from a qualified mental health professional and then work on what they tell you. Believe me, relationships built on mutual affection are infinitely more satisfying than those based on mutual antagonism.
expat

Post by expat »

I will contribute. :moneybag
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I saw this repeatedly the other day and was reminded of the old song "the cat came back" and of course the Canadian cartoon adaptation of the song. Always good to keep humor in mind when dealing with people like this.
nolabogle

Post by nolabogle »

I will contribute.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'll contribute.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I'll contribute toward legal costs.
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

SteveB3005 wrote:They run password buster programs and if you have some stupid simple password like password, qwerty, boglehead, they gain entry and post under that name. Short version.
That's exactly right. Unfortunately it looks like the only long term solution is going to be to force people to change to long or complex passwords.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Alex Frakt wrote: That's exactly right. Unfortunately it looks like the only long term solution is going to be to force people to change to long or complex passwords.
Nothing wrong with that. A lot of sites do that. Seems like a common requirement is: minimum 8 characters, minimum one small letter, minimum one capital letter, minimum one number.

Is there a way it could be set up so any account with a non-qualifying password could be required to change to a qualifying password before proceeding further?
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Alex.
Go get him if you feel you must. You have my support. I just sent you a paypal and will send more if/when needed.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Same here. I am also OK with upgrading PW system.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
mackstann

Post by mackstann »

wjwhitney wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote: That's exactly right. Unfortunately it looks like the only long term solution is going to be to force people to change to long or complex passwords.
Nothing wrong with that. A lot of sites do that. Seems like a common requirement is: minimum 8 characters, minimum one small letter, minimum one capital letter, minimum one number.
Another trick that some sites are doing is to take the list of the top 100 (or 200 or whatever) most common passwords, and disallow them from being used.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

What some sites do and what phpBB can do might be two entirely different things. I wonder if phpBB can reset the original email authorization requirement for accounts with weak passwords. That would seem to be the simplest solution, as long as people have the right email address listed. The troublesome user then wouldn't be able to post even if he did guess the account's password because he wouldn't have access to the email account to reauthorize the forum account.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I'm in with support for legal action.
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

So is Alex saying that the post he showed me from xenopus is a hijack? Meaning that there is a xenopus but the hijacker broke into his account and sent a message?

If so, that leads to 2 questions:
1.Why is he/she doing this? What possible gain is there?
2. Why are passwords at this site able to be obtained by a hacker? If it is a code that busts simple ones, I don't think we need complex ones, just normal type passwords that we all use that aren't qwerty, etc.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Talk is cheap (or, at least cheaper than litigation), but I say file suit. I will contribute.
damjam

Post by damjam »

Muchtolearn wrote:So is Alex saying that the post he showed me from xenopus is a hijack? Meaning that there is a xenopus but the hijacker broke into his account and sent a message?

If so, that leads to 2 questions:
1.Why is he/she doing this? What possible gain is there?
2. Why are passwords at this site able to be obtained by a hacker? If it is a code that busts simple ones, I don't think we need complex ones, just normal type passwords that we all use that aren't qwerty, etc.
My guesses at the answers to your questions:
1. He is doing it for the attention, or pleasure at manipulating others to do his bidding. I don't know the psychiatric diagnosis for his problem but it is clearly a mental problem.
2. My Understanding from another post by Alex regarding accounts being broken into, the passwords he has hacked have been simple words or phrases.

But I think there is more going on here, since last night he seemed to post endlessly with new accounts, to be precise accounts with only 2 posts. So could he be creating new accounts and somehow jumping the post count up to 2 to avoid controls on brand new accounts? I'm not technically skilled enough to answer that question but my significant other said it might be possible depending on the exact way the system works.
Edit to add: Of course the other possibility is he created these accounts weeks or months in advance in anticipation of this attack. And yes, I call his actions an attack.
Last edited by damjam on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

By the way, how do we go in to change our password?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

damjam wrote:
Muchtolearn wrote:
1. He is doing it for the attention, or pleasure at manipulating others to do his bidding. I don't know the psychiatric diagnosis for his problem but it is clearly a mental problem.
My guesses would be Narcissistic personality disorder
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/
or
Antisocial Personality Disorder
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001919/

But that could only be confirmed by a licensed professional. Still, I think everyone could safely act "as if" it is one of these, in which case the best way to deal with these behaviors is to ignore him. In either case, if his goal is to elicit a reaction, the best medicine is to not provide one. Important to note, people with these disorders do not often change because they are "externalizers" meaning they do not take responsibility for their actions, but instead blame others for the way things are. You will not get him to change, reason with him, etc. People with personality disorders do not succeed with "insight" therapy and often will refuse therapy, except under duress (court order, threat of divorce, etc), which as you can guess, is not conducive to real and lasting change.

In short, don't respond to him (take legal action if you feel necessary), but do not ENGAGE him. This only encourages him further and gives him what he wants. Why would we want that? Good luck every one on taking the higher ground! This is an illness. He does not understand or take responsibility for that, but we can learn how to deal with him in ways that do not stress ourselves out. In that way, we do not allow him to control us. That could be the best we could hope for (aside from legal action).
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Alex and Larry:

Perhaps a little pick-me-up will provide some solace:

Long-Term Returns: Bogleheads Forum

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Alex Frakt wrote:
SteveB3005 wrote:They run password buster programs and if you have some stupid simple password like password, qwerty, boglehead, they gain entry and post under that name. Short version.
That's exactly right. Unfortunately it looks like the only long term solution is going to be to force people to change to long or complex passwords.
What is the maximum length password you can use here?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
damjam

Post by damjam »

Jerilynn wrote:What is the maximum length password you can use here?
100 Characters.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Muchtolearn wrote: 1.Why is he/she doing this? What possible gain is there?
Dunno. Why do some people spend (waste) their time writing viruses?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Pacific wrote:By the way, how do we go in to change our password?
Click on "User Control Panel" - upper left of screen
Click on "Profile"
Click on "Edit Account Settings"
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Alex Frakt wrote:
It's fairly simple to do this.
Just require 12+ char passwords with at least one each of:
1) lower case letter
2) upper case letter
3) numeral
4) special character

Lady Geek can probably help implement this.
PWB will be crying in his beer after we do this...
Attempted new signature...